• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Diamond Select Wave 2 Review

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_

Awards
I feel like this is somewhere between warranting its own thread and just being posted in one of the existing ones.

3kU1TM8.jpg

I guess Steamboat Sora is part of this wave; you won't get him in a case - you have to pick him up individually at Walgreen's... let's start with him: only gripe is he didn't come with the Monochrome. They made it sound like wave 3 will have Steamboat Donald and wave 4 Goofy; if they put them all in a 3-pack with their weapons I'll be pissed.

The Pete pack is flawless; you get a repeat Soldier from wave one (who doesn't want a Heartless army), Chip & Dale are static statues that turned out better than the prototypes... this Pete figure; I don't know what to say. I own a ton of toys, and this is one of the best. Buy this figure! Go drop $20 at GameStop and get him with Chip & Dale.

The next two packs are not as smooth: Aqua & (knight) Goofy. The fact they made knight Goofy (BBS) already is enough to make me cream my pants; he didn't come with a shield (not sure if he should have). The articulation isn't perfect, but I'm glad to add the figure to my collection... Aqua is a doozy. The people who have been critical of the sculpts are gonna tear her face apart (don't send this figure to TheGamersJoint -- he's just gonna make fun of it).

Here is what is ​inexcusable about Aqua -- her Keyblade doesn't fit in her hands; it just kind of dangles, and is super fragile. Her reach is too wide. No elbow articulation! Whaaa...?! For some reason her legs can do this, but she couldn't get elbows? Goofy can do the splits, but for some reason he can't get into a sitting position.

Finally, Roxas, Donald & Goofy... Goofy doesn't have elbows (another fail) and he can only really hold his shield at his side (as pictured above). Donald cannot hold his staff! It has to balance; once again, his reach is too wide for the shaft (that's what she said?). This is going to be obscenely critical, but he looks like a Plucky Duck ripoff (Mirage had a better sculpt).

Roxas... there is this weird thing with these figures where the ones that were "leaked" before this was all announced have way better articulation than the ones we didn't know about; the face is fine. I already broke his hand trying to get him to hold the Keyblade with both hands so now he can't support it very well; he's got elbows, hands and leg articulation before and after his knees: this guy is excellent.

I love wave 2's because they get the boring (but essential) stuff out of the way with 1... overall, I'm pleased; I knew what I was getting myself into -- I'll go 8/10. :smile: More/better characters than wave one, but the execution on some is questionable.

Edit: My package also got stuck out in the rain; good thing I'm not a MoC collector -- the cases were soaked (no damage to the figures)!

Last edited:

eiczerofour

I really need the Aqua figure, but was hoping she would be more widely available since I want a few of her, mostly for customizing. Her and the Knight Goofy are the only ones I am missing from wave.

Caxinuld

Awards
Overall, I wasn't impressed with series 1, with the only nice thing I could say about them was making Mickey in his regular KH outfit and making a Star Seeker keyblade and giving fans an easier to find alternative to an Axel action figure. Series 2 isn't very good due to the lack of articulation these characters have and the only thing I can praise Diamond Selects is the diverse selection of characters, this line has given fans a Shadow, Soldier, Pluto (Walgreens exclusive), a Dusk, Pete, Chip, Dale, Timeless River Sora, Chip, Dale and Knight Goofy.

I can only recommend the Diamond Select figures for the characters above if they have no Japanese action figure counterpart, but for KH2 Sora, KH Goofy, Aqua, Donald and Roxas, there are Japanese figures with much better paint jobs, articulation and more accessories, so it's worth spending more money to get much better figures.

Neo_

Awards
You have to admit that Pete figure is on par with the best; I always cite those Mirage figures, but even that Pluto was heaps better, and people talked shit about those!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back