• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Diabetes discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
I have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed in January of 2010, I was insulin dependent
for a very short time before I found out that the insulin was making things worse; my blood sugar was dropping real low(between 80 and 50) two hours after I injected myself before every meal. I talked to my endocrinologist who suggested I lower my dose,which didn't help much. Shortly after I was diagnosed(about three months later) I had completely stopped taking insulin, my blood sugar remained in the normal ranges(90-160).I admit I didn't check my sugar on a daily basis, but I felt fine. I last saw my endocrinologist in January I believe, he told me I didn't have to take insulin if I was fine without it, but I have to continue checking my sugar everyday. I don't have a glucose meter at the moment, my old one broke;but I feel fine and can easily tell when my sugar is low. My question is:
Q:Do you or anybody you know have diabetes? and if so, have you or someone you know gone through a similar experience? I've heard about type 1's having a honeymoon period, where the pancreas seems to function for awhile then stops. I heard the honeymoon period can last a few months or years even;is there any truth to that?

Last edited:

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
diabeetus.jpg

In all seriousness though my father has diabeetus & my my grandmother died in a diabetic coma, also im black so im at high risk to get the disease.

Zul

Awards
I should of known Wilford Brimley would pop up sooner or later in this thread.

*awaits LongLiveLife posts*
Yeah but Wilford Brimley talks about "Diabeetus" which is type-2 adult onset, a few people in my family have that, no one in my family has type 1.

It's nice to know that you don't need to inject insulin right now though.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
I dun have da Diabeetus, but I know of a few peeps that do. Dunno if they be Type 1 or 2.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
Yeah but Wilford Brimley talks about "Diabeetus" which is type-2 adult onset, a few people in my family have that, no one in my family has type 1.

It's nice to know that you don't need to inject insulin right now though.

Yeah, injecting myself was not fun, not fun at all.

Since Wilford Brimley is being brought up every post.

This song is funny, but also serious and inspiring.

It actually should be played on T.v. everyone who is diagnosed needs to watch this video right away.

Nov

Awards
Mmm, yeah, I have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed last year but had had symptoms long before the diagnose. I pretty much knew what was going on when I started to have symptoms (not right away but after a month or so) because it's talked about so much in our schools and on TV and such, as diabetes is a very usual sickness here. But yeah, it was pretty much all about facing my biggest fear in the whole world as I hate needles more than anything and I always hated taking blood tests. That's why it took me a while to get the courage to get myself diagnosed. And yeah, of course I was pretty scared when I heard the news but it didn't surprise me.
But yeah, I have to take insulin injections and calculate carbos, check my blood sugar and such things. It's a routine now but I still have some things that I should work on. I'm really lazy at checking my sugar. :d Luckily, I've had a nice doctor and support as I know people who also have type 1 diabetes. It's just funny that I don't know anyone in my family who has type 1 diabetes. My grandfather has type 2 but as we know, type 2 is because of different reasons.

I've heard about type 1's having a honeymoon period, where the pancreas seems to function for awhile then stops. I heard the honeymoon period can last a few months or years even;is there any truth to that?
It's true. The pancreas can still produce some insulin and it helps to keep your blood sugar level lower but it reduces during the time. For example my pancreas' insulin production is pretty much stopped by now. I think it's also called a remission period (that is at least the straight translation from Finnish so yeah, not sure if it's used in English).

Last edited:

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
so..I just got really light headed and dizzy..I checked my sugar and it was 183..which is pretty high even after a meal. It's my own fault though..I ate like four oreos stupid I know. I just don't know what happened, 183 isn't terribly high..or could the light headedness be from my sugar spiking so fast? I really need to start managing this better, but I don't personally know anyone else with type 1 I could talk to, a few distance family members maybe...but they're REALLY REALLY distant, also they don't manage it well either. The last thing I want is to go blind or have my foot amputated..I just want to know if any other members have type 1? I wish this thread was more active so I could talk with others and get tips..I'm really afraid I'm going to die of complication at a young age....I guess I just need support.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
My mother and my grandmother (she's gone now); the only ones in my immediate family that has (had) it to my knowledge. And I had a friend in middle school who had type one, and at scheduled times, he'd go to the restroom to take an injection; I'm assuming he had type 1.

My mother use to be on a strict regimen, however, over the past several years, she's been off of the stuff. She just changed her diet a little more and worked out, so it hasn't been much of a problem for her anymore.

OP, you should really talk to a professional about seeking help, tell him or her everything you're having complications with. Though the stories here can be reassuring here, I'm pretty sure you should speak with someone who's qualified on such a risky matter.

Nov

Awards
so..I just got really light headed and dizzy..I checked my sugar and it was 183..which is pretty high even after a meal. It's my own fault though..I ate like four oreos stupid I know. I just don't know what happened, 183 isn't terribly high..or could the light headedness be from my sugar spiking so fast? I really need to start managing this better, but I don't personally know anyone else with type 1 I could talk to, a few distance family members maybe...but they're REALLY REALLY distant, also they don't manage it well either. The last thing I want is to go blind or have my foot amputated..I just want to know if any other members have type 1? I wish this thread was more active so I could talk with others and get tips..I'm really afraid I'm going to die of complication at a young age....I guess I just need support.
Mm, I think it could be that but I'm no expert as I rarely get those. My blood sugar is usually quite high (I know, I should manage it better...), so I rarely get symptoms of high blood sugar. I just know that I get dizzy and start shaking when my blood sugar is really low and headaches and hot waves when my blood sugar is really high. So you should ask your doctor about it.
I'm a bit of afraid of it as well, so you're not alone with this. But, just to assure you, you don't have to be afraid of going blind or getting amputated. Of course, the risk is always there but when you see your doctors regularly, they check things out and tell you if there are some changes.

And I had a friend in middle school who had type one, and at scheduled times, he'd go to the restroom to take an injection; I'm assuming he had type 1.

OP, you should really talk to a professional about seeking help, tell him or her everything you're having complications with. Though the stories here can be reassuring here, I'm pretty sure you should speak with someone who's qualified on such a risky matter.
Yeah, you get type 2 diabetes in older age, so he had type 1.

But I agree with this. If there's something that you're unsure of, you should definitely ask a professional about it. I can only share my own experiences and it seems that we are somewhat different in this case, although we both have the same illness. But, type 1 diabetes is always personal and it's very different with different persons.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
My mother and my grandmother (she's gone now); the only ones in my immediate family that has (had) it to my knowledge. And I had a friend in middle school who had type one, and at scheduled times, he'd go to the restroom to take an injection; I'm assuming he had type 1.

My mother use to be on a strict regimen, however, over the past several years, she's been off of the stuff. She just changed her diet a little more and worked out, so it hasn't been much of a problem for her anymore.

I go to a endocrinologist a few times a year, I'm due for an appointment soon.

Mm, I think it could be that but I'm no expert as I rarely get those. My blood sugar is usually quite high (I know, I should manage it better...), so I rarely get symptoms of high blood sugar. I just know that I get dizzy and start shaking when my blood sugar is really low and headaches and hot waves when my blood sugar is really high. So you should ask your doctor about it.
I'm a bit of afraid of it as well, so you're not alone with this. But, just to assure you, you don't have to be afraid of going blind or getting amputated. Of course, the risk is always there but when you see your doctors regularly, they check things out and tell you if there are some changes.

Yeah, you get type 2 diabetes in older age, so he had type 1.

But I agree with this. If there's something that you're unsure of, you should definitely ask a professional about it. I can only share my own experiences and it seems that we are somewhat different in this case, although we both have the same illness. But, type 1 diabetes is always personal and it's very different with different persons.
I just want support and do discuss it with others, thats all this thread is for. I know we aren't the only members with diabetes.

I'm going to try and go get some blood work done tomorrow and make an appointment with my diabetes doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back