• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Devoured (Chapter 5)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Re: Devoured (Chapter 3)

Here's the next chapter...sorry it took so long. :X

---------------------------------------

None of this makes sense”, Valerie exclaimed loudly, barely able to keep herself from slamming her firsts on the table. She and Jonathan were sitting in front of some café not too far from their office, trying to draw a conclusion of what little clues they had.
Lucas Garner, 24 years old, deprived of a few fingernails. Nicole Higgs, 23 years old, deprived of two fingers. Amy Coris, 22 years old, deprived of five fingers. And finally...Liz Reed, 23 years old, deprived of her whole body except the head. All seem to have been killed with some sort of knife or hatchet. Right?”
Valerie felt like she had repeated those words at least a million times today, yet there was no real connection between all of this. The culprit left too few clues to be found and Valerie was unable to understand his scheme of killing.
Just when she closed her eyes to relax for a minute, her work phone rang. Did she want to ignore it? Definitely. Would she? Of course not.
Valerie Lovell. ID number 698.” While she knew this was necessary, it still annoyed her. Yeah, safety reasons, whatever.
Good morning, Miss Lovell. I believe there's something you and Mister Glover might want to see in the forensics.”
And somehow, even before getting up to find out what is was, Valerie was more than certain that whatever was waiting for her, she so did not want to see it.

Arriving at the forensics twenty minutes later, Valerie and Jonathan were greeted by their boss, Jack Owen.

To make it short: We found Miss Reed's body last night. Or rather...someone left it in front of the police station.”
Valerie raised an eyebrow at that. Why the hell would the culprit do that? If he had left it where he killed her – well, that would fit into the scheme, but why bother bringing it somewhere where he could be caught?
One of the employees showed them Liz' body. It looked normal, except for her head missing of course, but something about it felt...off.
Somehow...”
It's whole.”
She shot Jonathan a confused glance, knowing that he had thought the same thing as her, but, unlike her, was able to draw a conclusion out of it.
Except for her head, obviously, her body is in one piece. The culprit didn't steal parts of it. Right?”
Blinking rapidly, Valerie realized he was right. Of course! She looked back at Liz' body, double-checking if it was true.
But why...I don't see a reason why he should steal body parts of the other victims but not Liz. I...I think we need to find out what he does with them. Maybe that'll give us a clue on why he didn't need Liz.”
Lowering her head, Valerie realized it was getting easier to talk about Liz, a person who was really important to her, as if she were some random pedestrian she had never met before.
I assume there are no stains on her body or clothes?”, she asked even though she already knew the answer. This maniac was meticulous, apparently not allowing himself to make even a single mistake.
Shaking her head, she took a deep breath. She really needed to get out of here this instant. The atmosphere made her sick and angry because she already knew this wasn't the last time she was going to be here in the course of this case.
Thanks for letting us know, even though it sadly doesn't help us much as of now.”
With that, she and Jonathan left the forensics, both uncertain what to do next.
If I were a killer”, Jonathan said slowly while walking next to her, “what would I do with stolen body parts?”
She looked at him in a disgusted way, because she herself had no idea what she would do since they weren't killers and she sure didn't plan on becoming one.
Don't look at me like that. There has to be a pattern. Maybe he...”, Jonathan frowned before shaking his head as if the answer was more than obvious.
Of course! Don't you think he might be trying to build a new body out of different people's body parts? He made sure the fingers of Nicole Higgs and Amy Coris were similar to each other. Even Lucas Garner's fingernails looked similar to theirs, right?”
She looked at him for a few seconds, blinking confusedly before realizing he was right. Of course! It was definitely a possibility – and not one that Valerie liked – but even if it were true, the question remained: Why would anyone do that?
But what about Liz?”, she asked and came to a halt. Why would the culprit first steal Liz' body and then return it? Did he try to steal parts of it but realized he didn't need any of hers for the body he wanted to create?
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about as well. But I don't think it's coincidence he sent her head to you without stealing anything.”
To be honest, she hadn't even drawn that conclusion, but it made sense. The problem was: What did the killer try to tell her? This body is useless, I'll use it as a shocker before returning the rest? Or maybe that was what he wanted Valerie to think in order to trick her.
Ahh! None of this makes sense! I need to check my desk. Maybe, hopefully, I missed something.”
They decided to think about their next steps individually, hoping they would find something to help them in this case. But just when Valerie entered her office room, she remembered something important – the letter she had gotten yesterday. At least she thought it would be important.
But the letter was nowhere to be found. She was sure she had left it on the desk before driving to meet Amy Coris' parents. Throwing a confused gaze at the door, she wondered who was able to get in here besides herself.
Maybe she had put it in a drawer of her desk? She was actually quite sure that she hadn't, but decided to check just in case.
What greeted her was a letter, addressed to her in the same handwriting as the first one, but there was no doubting this was a different letter, mainly because of the fact that there was a date and a time written on it.

To Miss Valerie Lovell

October 10
3:33 am

What the hell was this supposed to be? She couldn't even hope that one of her colleagues was messing with her, because she knew no one should be able to get in here. No one besides her and…
With the letter in her hand, she stormed out of the office and into the one right across the floor without even knocking once.
Did you put this in my drawer?”, she asked without even believing that he did for half a second, yet hoping that all of this would turn out to be a bad joke.
As she had expected, Jonathan looked at her confusedly, probably just now thinking about what she had said.
What is that?”, he asked, frowning at her weird attitude. She wasn't the kind of person that didn't knock or accused a friend of something like this. To be honest to herself, she just didn't know what to think.
There was a letter on my table before we went to see Amy Coris. I know the secretary left it there but she doesn't work on the weekend, as you know, of course. Yet the letter is gone and now I find this one in my drawer. Same handwriting. You and I are the only ones who can get in there.”
She handed it over and dropped on the second chair in the room, burying her head in her hands. This was awful!
You didn't open it.”
It wasn't a question, yet Valerie nodded without looking at Jonathan. Of course she hadn't opened it yet. Not after…
I don't wanna find more blood or cut-off limbs in anything addressed to me. You know I'm not that kind of person, but this is starting to frighten me in all honesty.”
When he didn't respond, she looked up to meet his eyes. What could he be thinking? Of course she had never expected him to be the one who did this, and he knew it. But of course that didn't change the fact that this letter had somehow found its way into her drawer.
You are completely sure you didn't just miss this before and someone wrote a wrong date on it?”
She nodded, remembering she had been tidying up the whole desk just a few days back. There was no doubt this letter really had been put there in the last night.
Jonathan kept staring at her with a look in his eyes she couldn't decipher. He was probably afraid – of course he was – but didn't know what to do, either.
Valerie. I very well know you don't want to hear this-”
You shouldn't say it then”, she interrupted but he ignored her completely.
This is getting dangerous. If whoever is behind this – and we both know that this is the same guy who killed your classmates – already manages to get into your personal rooms, even without having to break the door open, as it seems, there's no telling what could happen next. He might already be hiding in your apartment as of this moment.”
Of course she knew all that, but what exactly was she supposed to do about it?
Your point?”, she asked curiously. If he was trying to tell her she should drop the case, he'd better guess again. She hadn't become a cop to back down when her life might be in danger.
Don't look at me like that. I know you'd never drop the case, you're way too stubborn. But I thought it'd be safer if you'd be...accompanied from now on.”
It took her a second to realize what he was trying to say, but when she did, she laughed. No, she giggled, like a little girl.
You're kidding me”, she said amusedly. But he didn't laugh like her, didn't even crack a smile just so he could prove his point.
You're not kidding me”, she inferred, rolling her eyes and sighing. Of course there was some sense in what he was saying. She sure didn't want to risk getting in danger and right now, whoever was killing off people without any traces was extremely dangerous to her.
Let me guess. You already talked this over with the boss and are about to introduce my new bodyguard”, she did her best to make that sound as ridiculous as possible, “to me, hm?”
Now with a small smile on his face, Jonathan nodded and got up. But instead of walking past Valerie like she had expected, he simply walked around the table and came to a halt in front of her, holding a hand in her direction.
Jonathan Glover. I'm 28 years old and a cop. I'm sure we're gonna be the bestest of friends.”
She chuckled at his stupid attitude before getting up to shake his hand in return.
Valerie Lovell. 23 years young and already tired of this before it started. Why do I get the feeling none of this is going to go well?”
He cracked a grin at her childish answer, hiking his shoulders in defense.
I'm not going to argue about this. Being around me is still better than ending up dead in your own apartment.”
Tsk. Not betting on that yet.”

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Re: Devoured (Chapter 4)

The killer is awfully clever to be able to leave no traces of them to find. What I find peculiar is that all signs seem to be pointing to Jonathan. However, I also wonder why it hasn't occurred to them to check security footage. Usually police stations along with other buildings have those sort of things. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the killer had used a disguise to drop the body in front of the police station. Otherwise, I enjoyed this chapter greatly!

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

However, I also wonder why it hasn't occurred to them to check security footage.

Oh, that's actually happened already but it was just not those two who did it so it hasn't been mentioned yet. Some of it will be in the next chapter though! :3

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Oh, that's actually happened already but it was just not those two who did it so it hasn't been mentioned yet. Some of it will be in the next chapter though! :3

Alright! For a brief minute there, I thought I missed out on reading something crucial about the chapters. xD I eagerly look forward to the next chapter!

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Wooohoooooo.
Yeah, so...here's the next chapter. Took me some time to finish, I knoooooooowwwwwwwww :X So, uhm, yeah, I suppose it's getting darker, but then again, it's never been bright in this story, eh?

Say...why is it you?”, Valerie asked nonchalantly while they got to the cafeteria to get lunch after informing their boss of the little accident earlier.
Don't get me wrong, but you're probably the first person anyone would call a suspect.”
And you don't?”
She jerked to a halt and raised an eyebrow. Thinking about it, she probably should've realized already that she lived in a world where everything was possible – but no, she hadn't suspected Jonathan for even half a second.
Not at all. I know anyone could be a criminal and I can never look behind anyone's forehead, but...”
She didn't know how to finish that sentence and just continued moving, now with a slightly weird feeling in her stomach as if she was being too naive, inexperienced. Was it wrong to trust him? Was it wrong to trust anyone?
I've already been questioned. Twice actually.”
What?! Why didn't you tell me?!”
Heads turned in their direction, causing Jonathan to roll his eyes and raise an eyebrow.
I have absolutely no idea, but maybe this is part of the reason? Listen. I'm out of the question for any of the murders because I've always been around here – mostly even on the cameras – or working on other cases with colleagues. And for that letter – I was at your place, obviously, when that happened.”
This was supposed to make her feel safer, but somehow, she didn't feel any different. It had never occurred to her to suspect Jonathan – she had asked out of curiosity.
Still, wouldn't a stranger be a safer choice just in case?”
Do you want to get rid of me so badly?”
He grinned, but she still thought he was misconceiving her point. Of course she didn't and it really was better than having a stranger around her, but it still didn't make much sense.
You know what? I give up. Let's just get all of this over with somehow...wait. You do realize we can't stay at my place? Besides it being way too small, my neighbor wouldn't ever stop bringing cake and asking when the wedding will be.”
I sure wouldn't mind the cake but I suppose the rest of it wouldn't make up for that. We can just stay at my place really. You know it's large enough.”
That was indeed true. Somehow this was weird since they were not only colleagues but very close friends, yet living in the same house was...wrong in her eyes. People would still be asking questions and anyone targeting Valerie would have all the more reason to target Jonathan as well.
I'm not happy with this, but whatever. Think we can check my office camera soon? Because I really want to know who put that letter in my drawer.”
Probably around five. Although I'm pretty convinced it won't help much anyways.”
She nodded in agreement. Leaving traces in such an obvious place was nothing their culprit would do. Still. Why hadn't the receptionist seen anything vital? Sure, if he had a key to get in she probably wouldn't have asked too many questions, and yet…Valerie felt like she was forgetting something.
Val. Get out of your head and just focus on what we have.”
As much as she liked Jonathan, the fact that he, unlike her, was able to keep cool in such a situation ticked her off, but she decided to rather keep quiet and not provoke a fight.

She enjoyed lunch while she could instead before asking the secretary if she really didn't remember anything odd, but when she got to the reception, she realized their was an employee she didn't know.
Excuse me. When will Miss Hamil arrive here today?
I'm right now trying to ask her that myself. She should've been here around half an hour ago, but nothing. Is there something I should let her know when she picks up her phone?”
This couldn't be happening, right?
I'm sorry, I don't have the time to explain this. Please inform the marshal and detective chief Jack Owen of this matter. They'll know why.”
With that, she ran. Even though she already knew what would be waiting for her, she ran for her car without a second thought. She waited until Jonathan caught up, glad he was a fast thinker and runner, even if not as fast as her. He didn't seem as eager to go there as she did, though.
This sick bastard knew I was having tea with Joyce last week. He damn waited for her to sit at the reception to pull this stunt off. That is just entirely ridiculous!”
Val. You're gonna speed us to death. Are you sure you shouldn't calm down first?”
Oh shut up, I very well know how to drive a car. I'm going to destroy this monster. We both know he...”
She took a deep breath before starting the engine and driving off. Everyone around her was becoming a target without even being close to her and no matter how hard she tried, she didn't know how to put an end to that. Was it her fault? Was she responsible for anyone who died next? Was it her duty to stop this while she could?
Exactly. We know he already killed her, so why are we-”
Shut up! Just shut up! He's playing with me as if I were his stupid play doll. If there is even the slightest chance that he didn't kill her yet, I'm gonna take it!”
And get yourself killed in the process? That is not going to help anyone.”
She hit the brakes immediately, lucky there was no one behind her in sight.
Whose side are you on, damn it? Are you telling me I should just let all of this happen?”
Of course not! But running after a probably dead person and risking your own life will not get you anywhere in this. You're getting obsessed, Val. Obsessed with catching whoever is trying to take everything from you and personally, emotionally, I fully understand that. But as a goddamn cop, I'm telling you: Approaching things like this will get you nothing but killed.”
Biting her lip, she realized he was probably right. Of course this was ridiculous and stupid, of course the culprit wouldn't just let Joyce Hamil live. But did that mean Valerie would have to accept all this until she found out who was responsible for all these killings?
She parked close nearby, still kilometers away from Joyce's home and stared at the sky above them.
I just...why did you even follow me if you're not okay with this?”
That is the exact reason. You expect me to let you run off in a situation like this?”
Valerie blinked. Once, twice. Took in a deep breath and realized she really was rushing all of this.
What's your advice then, smartypants?”, she asked in an annoyed manner, still not happy about the fact that he was completely right. She had used to be a realistic person, acting by logic and not emotions, and now…?
Find out who he's probably going to attack next and be there first.”
If only that were as easy as he put it. For about half a second, the thought of just waiting this out until there weren't many people she knew left crossed her mind. Shaking her head, she got rid of it immediately.
I thought I'd be able to find some sort of pattern. But if he really kills everyone close to me, not only my classmates, then I'm pretty sure he's prepared for the conclusions I'll draw, knowing whom he shouldn't attack next. No one even partly close to me is safe anymore.”
Jonathan nodded and closed his eyes. Valerie wished she knew what he was thinking, and she really hoped that they'd be able to come up with a plan soon, because at this rate, things wouldn't turn out well for anyone connected to this.
Val. Just promise me one thing.”
She raised an eyebrow. This wasn't the time to get sentimental, was it? To her, Jonathan was something like…a calm anchor. Someone who brought her back down to earth when she was close to losing herself. He wasn't supposed to sound rattled. She nodded anyways, implying that she'd at least hear him out.
Don't even start blaming yourself.”

Seconds passed in silence. Valerie felt as if time had stopped. She blinked at Jonathan who hadn't even turned his head from the road to look at her. His countenance was somehow eternal.
How he knew that this thought had crossed her mind just minutes ago was beyond her, and she blushed realizing that he knew her better than she liked it sometimes.
I don't...I...ugh.”
She sighed, throwing back her head. Why did she bother trying to lie to him? They both knew he was right and she had in fact started to blame herself for this. For the deaths of her classmates. For the grief of their parents. For whatever reason the culprit had to actually do something like this.
It was only do to the wet feeling on her cheek that she realized she was crying. How pathetic, she thought to herself. As if I am the one in the position to cry.
She breathed in deeply, closed and reopened her eyes and started the engine once more. But now, she felt neither anger nor hatred. The only thing going through her head right now was in which state she would find Joyce Hamil. In one piece? Torn apart?

It's hard not to”, she finally admitted when they pulled up in front of Joyce's house. All seemed well, but Valerie didn't let that fool her. She did not yet draw her gun, but was extremely cautious while walking up to the front door.
She rang once, waited, but nothing happened. There was no real reason for her to believe that anyone would open the door anyways, so she decided to break it open, which was surprisingly easy.
The living room was to the left, and the door was open. Valerie decided to check that first, but the room seemed innocent except for a letter on the table. There was no envelope this time, though. Had he been in a hurry?

Sadly, I don't like tea as much as Joyce did.
Maybe otherwise, you would have

That was it. It took her a second, but when she stroked the letters she realized that the ink got all...smudgy.
She dropped the letter and headed to the kitchen. The door to the garden was open and without thinking, she went outside. This monster had been here just minutes ago maximum, but where was he now? The only way out of here was to climb the fence and head over to the neighbors' garden.
Damn it!”, Valerie yelled loudly and jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.
What's gotten into you? He could've waited for you out here, ready to kill you.”
She shook her head and hit Jonathan on the arm for scaring her like that. Did he have to sneak up on her?
No. He...he fled. The letter ended abruptly, and he didn't take the time to write it with blood. It's as if he wanted to give me some sort of clue but realized we were already nearby.”
You think he's got an accomplice?”
Thinking about it, she nodded slowly. That would only make sense. How else would he have known they had gotten so close?
We have to find her body”, Valerie decided and went back inside, now with her gun drawn. It was either that this sicko had an accomplice, or he was still somewhere around, and if he was, she sure didn't want to meet him unarmed.
Nothing felt off on the way upstairs, it was as if Joyce just wasn't home. Without hesitation, Valerie entered the bedroom and froze in the door frame. Joyce was lying on the bed, arms and legs spread from her body, dressed in nothing but lingerie. There was a big puddle of blood where her head should be and Valerie felt more than ready to puke her viscera out.
This is horrible...”, she breathed while moving closer to the bed. She realized that Joyce's body wasn't physically harmed, or at least it didn't look like it. It was as if he had just cut her head off and left.
Look at this.”
Valerie hadn't even noticed that Jonathan had followed her until he walked passed her – focused on not eying the bloodstain in any kind of way – and took something out of Joyce's fist.
A note?”, Valerie asked and raised an eyebrow. He didn't answer but instead, with a worried, maybe even anxious look on his face, handed the piece of paper over.

Not you.
It's Mr Gl

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Oh boy. Who's Mr. G?

I feel bad for Valerie having to second guess her own partner in all of this. Val, you have every reason to be upset because, something bad is happening to you and those around you. Bad things happen to good people all of the time. Except this is much worse. I think Valerie catching on a lot quicker about Joyce not being at her reception desk was what made the killer lose time on tearing Joyce to pieces. I am surprised Valerie suggested an accomplice. I still feel a bit suspicious of Jonathan because, he keeps slowing her down. What does come to mind is if Valerie can provoke the killer into targeting her? And it seems like Joyce was already having a good time till she died... so maybe she was with the killer or the accomplice before they cut her head off? So it must be someone she and Valerie knew, right? Anyways, great chapter as always!

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Oh boy. Who's Mr. G?

I feel bad for Valerie having to second guess her own partner in all of this. Val, you have every reason to be upset because, something bad is happening to you and those around you. Bad things happen to good people all of the time. Except this is much worse. I think Valerie catching on a lot quicker about Joyce not being at her reception desk was what made the killer lose time on tearing Joyce to pieces. I am surprised Valerie suggested an accomplice. I still feel a bit suspicious of Jonathan because, he keeps slowing her down. What does come to mind is if Valerie can provoke the killer into targeting her? And it seems like Joyce was already having a good time till she died... so maybe she was with the killer or the accomplice before they cut her head off? So it must be someone she and Valerie knew, right? Anyways, great chapter as always!

We'll soooon find out (actually, we already know. It's been mentioned in the chapter before this).

There's a reason Jonathan keeps slowing Valerie down - actually, you just mentioned it. What if her direct approach causes the culprit to target her? In her opinion, that would be great - as she believes she wouldn't be as easily killed. We'll soon learn more about why Jonathan isn't quite happy about that option ;)

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Void, I just caught up to this. Probably late but I love this story xD.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
It's never "late" :3
I'm actually almost finished with the next chapter as well.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'm sorry this took forever ><

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A frown had formed on her face. What was that even supposed to mean?

“It's you?” she asked Jonathan but he only shrugged, not knowing what Joyce had meant, either.
“Wait, so...she managed to write this before he got her? How did she know? I mean...whatever it means.”
“I have no idea, but this is important. Valerie. You and her met from time to time, right? I'm sure you told her about this job somehow. We have to reconstruct everything you talked about to get a sense out of this.”

She nodded in agreement when she heard noises coming from downstairs. Backup seemed to have arrived and she could also hear some sirens.
Her hands were shaking. What was she supposed to do? If she handed this over, it would be used for investigation, but they would also start suspecting Jonathan again. She decided to be naively selfish and put it in her pocket.
“Val! Are you crazy? You're hiding clues from-”
“Don't you think I know that? What they don't know won't hurt them. If we don't find out what this is about, we can still show and pretend we found it when we came back here or whatever excuse we can make up!”
“You can't just-”
“I won't risk losing you now. I won't!”
“Valerie! This is...I...you're absolutely insane!”
Without noticing, they had both started whispering, and just in time, because only seconds later, someone was walking up the stairs loudly.
Valerie stepped outside to face their boss and eyed him sceptically.

“Don't take it personally, boss, but you sure aren't made for sneaking up on a culprit.”
“The neighbor said she saw you walk inside. Since there was no sign of any kind of fight, I assumed it was safe to figure you're alone?”
She decided to rather not roll her eyes at him and gave up.
“Did you manage to find Miss Hamill?”
“She's dead. He also took her head with him.”
Neither did she want to answer any questions – it was not like she had any clues whatsoever – nor did she ever want to have to see Joyce's dead body again. This was...too much.
“Again, there is...nothing. We didn't thoroughly check for fingerprints yet though. From the looks of it, the culprit might have been in a hurry. He didn't expect us this early.”
With that, she shot a glare at Jonathan pleading him to leave with her. She didn't want and didn't need to be here. There was nothing left to say.
He did indeed follow. Heck, of course he did, because that was just the way he was. They drove back to the office, and Valerie had a very hard time keeping her emotions inside. Not now...not yet.
“I can't believe you're hiding that note. If anyone finds out about that-”
“They won't! Okay? They won't. It's between you and me, isn't it? It'll be okay.”
She tried to crack a smile but it was seriously hard. All of this was nagging on her and that's why Jonathan poked her cheek.
“Stop trying. You look like a zombie.”
“Sheesh. Thank you, Prince Charming. I was trying to-”
“'Trying to assure you I'm alright'? Is that it? Because if so, don't even start. I very well know you are not alright, and I'm the last person who expects you to put on an act.”

She bit her lip, embarrassed by the honest yet kind way he said it, realizing that he was right. It was perfectly normal not to be okay in the situation she was in – she knew that. But she didn't want to drag him down with her.
“I'm sorry...I mean...Ugh. I don't want to lose this in any kind of way. I've got to get back to my desk, figure out where he might attack next and warn the possible victims.”
“Sounds good. Do you want my help in that? I could also try and make some sense out of Joyce's weird note instead.”
While that would probably make more sense since the note could be very important, Valerie wasn't sure what to say. Sure, she trusted Jonathan more than anyone else, but even so she didn't like the idea of handing it over and letting it get out of her reach.

It took her the whole way back to their office to make a decision and in the end, she handed the note over wordlessly.
“Hey, Val?”
She stopped in her tracks just before entering her own office and turned around.
“When this is all over, then...”
“Then what?”
He looked away, seemingly regretting even bringing it up.
“I just realized it's a very stupid thing to bring up now. Forget it.”
“Jonathan!”
“I'll tell you later. I'm sorry.”
And with that, he ditched her in the hallway and shut the door in her face.
“Big meanie.”

She decided that trying wouldn't work right now anyways, so she didn't. Instead, she got back to her own desk and tried to…
Well, what exactly?
She wanted to prevent more murders from happening. There had to be some sort of connection between all those people besides herself, right?
Maybe killing them randomly was actually his pattern? He didn't want to be found out, at least not yet. Liz and Joyce were different since they had both been close to Valerie, but other than that…
What had Joyce known? How? And why had she seemingly not told anyone about it?
“I'm so sorry, Joyce.”
Her death wasn't to be changed, but Valerie promised herself that it wouldn't have been in vain. Just right now though, she didn't have any clue what to do other than call all her classmates and tell them what was going on.
At first, she hadn't been sure if that was a wise decision – what if the killer was amongst them? Then again, she didn't have to give them any details, and the pattern had been obvious. He knew she'd find out about how those people had been connected.
Should she tell them in person? To be honest, she didn't think it'd change much – her culprit seemed to be a professional at this. He wouldn't falter at her telling him that a killer was running around. He'd play stupid and shocked.
In the end, she decided to give them calls and it ended up taking no less than two and a half hours. It felt weird talking business with the people she'd known since high school, but she knew it'd been necessary.

She only realized that she'd been staring at the door when she heard a knock on it and almost jumped out of her seat.
“Yes?”
A young woman, Katie Zaine, entered the room. She was the newest secretary, always to be seen with her blonde hair tied up and a sheepish look on her face.
“You can watch the surveillance video now, Miss Lovell.”
Valerie already got up halfway through the sentence. What got her so hyped was beyond herself, as she didn't expect much, but finally getting to know at least if someone had been able to sneak in here was something.
But after she had met up with her colleagues and insisted on watching the tape three times in a row, things stayed a mystery nonetheless.

She now knew that someone had in fact been in her office room and had put the letter in her drawer, but of course their face wasn't to be seen. Weirdly, that was it though, they hadn't done anything else in the room before leaving again.
“Do we have the entrance video as well?” she heard Jonathan ask next to her and cast him a look. He was completely focused, as if he was able to see something that she wasn't.
“Yes, of course. Would you like to watch that, too?”
“Yes, please.”
The video of the main doorway did indeed show the alleged culprit entering the presidency, but the secretary – it had been Joyce, in fact – hadn't done anything but apparently greet them.
“Why would she just let them pass?” Austin Baker, a colleague in their unit, asked confusedly. It was obvious to Valerie though.
“She knew him.” As of now, she was entirely sure it had to be a man.
“Huh?”
“He came in saying hi and as you can see, she didn't even look up. That means she must have recognized his voice, right?”

But even so, how had he been able to get into her office? It wasn't to be seen on the camera, but it had definitely been locked, and Valerie would've known about this earlier if her door had been forced open.
They all split up again, but before Valerie was able to reenter her room, words stopped her.
“I need to ask you something.”
She turned around to face a creepy look on Jonathan's face. As if he were afraid of something.
“What is it?”
“I'd prefer not to say it in the hall.”
She shrugged and followed into his room. Somehow she got hopeful that it was something important. Maybe hints she missed in the video, maybe something about Joyce's note.

“So, ugh...what is it?” Valerie asked, sitting down on one of the seats in the room.
“Have you told Joyce about your belief that he's targeting you?”
She frowned and almost imperceptibly fidgeted back and forth in her seat.
“I thought that it's quite obvious he's after me. I didn't think it was a secret I shouldn't tell.”
“You make it sound like I'm scolding you.”
“No, no! You make it sound like scolding.”
He sighed and closed his eyes, but not without a soft smile on his lips.
“I think I figured out what her note meant. At least part of it.”
She raised her head, now fully interested. Jonathan was smart, so if he said he'd found something out, then he definitely had.

“Joyce said that it wasn't you, but me. It sounded like she was talking about the culprit, but it didn't make any sense to me. No one ever suspected you, right?”
She nodded slightly.
“But then it hit me that you must have told her about the feeling of being targeted in this case. So by saying that it is not you, but me, she was not talking about the culprit, but about his-”
“-his target! But why would she think that? I wouldn't know of any hint regarding that.”
He nodded slowly and pursed his lips, seemingly unsure how to word it.
“That's the part where she loses me as well. But there's definitely a reason she seemed to be so certain about that, being the one who greeted that stranger entering your office, don't you think?”
She nodded in agreement. So Joyce had let someone pass herself by without looking up, which meant she knew them, and later realized that he could be targeting Jonathan instead of Valerie.

“Although I still don't understand how she came to that conclusion. None of our colleagues would have a reason to kill me, or is there anything I don't know about?”
She appreciated his tries to lighten the mood at least a bit, and was even able to crack a smile about it. Then, suddenly, it hit her out of nowhere.
“Wait. Maybe we're trying to follow the wrong traces here. Like...if we consider she knew the person who entered my office, the only logical conclusion would be that it's one of our colleagues, right?”
He nodded slightly, although she wasn't even perfectly sure if what she said made any sense herself.
“But what if she didn't even know them after all? Maybe she just thought she did and later realized that she was mistaken.”
His eyes widened because they were finally onto something here, even if it wasn't much.
“But then it would have to be at least someone extremely similar to a person she knew. Like...”
“A doppelganger?”
“For example.”

She nodded, and kept nodding without noticing it much, lost in her thoughts. If that was the case, and an imposter was running around pretending to be someone they knew, then everything got even more dangerous.
“Okay, so to sum this up: Joyce let our culprit into the office, thinking it was someone she knew and later realizing she was mistaken. That's why she came to the conclusion that this person must be after you and not me, even though he's trying hard to make me believe I'm his main target. Is that right so far?”
“Sounds accurate.”
“Then what we're missing right now is the part from her realizing that the person was a stranger to connecting it to you. How did she find out, and even more importantly, how did he find out that she had, thus deciding to kill her just in case she'd spill it?”
They both dropped silent. Obviously neither of them had a clue about this specific part, yet it was so incredibly important for them at the moment.

“I guess this is what we'll have to find out now. Can't wait to suspect every person I know to be the killer of my partner's friends and former classmates. Woohoo.”
“How you manage to make it sound even more horribly than it already is is beyond me.”
They shared a tiny yet calming smile. Valerie very much knew that what was ahead of them was going to be a living hell. But at least – and she took a lot of comfort In that – they still had each other to do this together.
For now.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
It could also be a twin instead of a doppelganger. Although, it's pretty cool Valerie came to that conclusion. xD In the meantime, this keeps me in utter suspense because, it seems like the list of suspects continues to grow. Goodness, if I were in her shoes, I wouldn't be sleeping at all! This was seriously really good. I like the attempts of light humor between Valerie and Jonathan too. I feel like I'll be a bit sad if it turns out to be Jonathan that's the killer in the end. I also wonder what he's been wanting to tell Valerie. Also, what if Jonathan has a brother Valerie doesn't know about? XD I can't help but to theorize about who it could be and why. Or if there's two killers instead of one. lol. Seriously, this was worth waiting for! And it was soooo good! <3 I love this new chapter, VoidGear. <3 It's awesome! And hooks me in so quickly too! <3

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
It could also be a twin instead of a doppelganger. Although, it's pretty cool Valerie came to that conclusion. xD In the meantime, this keeps me in utter suspense because, it seems like the list of suspects continues to grow. Goodness, if I were in her shoes, I wouldn't be sleeping at all! This was seriously really good. I like the attempts of light humor between Valerie and Jonathan too. I feel like I'll be a bit sad if it turns out to be Jonathan that's the killer in the end. I also wonder what he's been wanting to tell Valerie. Also, what if Jonathan has a brother Valerie doesn't know about? XD I can't help but to theorize about who it could be and why. Or if there's two killers instead of one. lol. Seriously, this was worth waiting for! And it was soooo good! <3 I love this new chapter, VoidGear. <3 It's awesome! And hooks me in so quickly too! <3

Thanks! :3
You're not following a completely wrong track with the "brother"-story, buuut it's not just gonna be that easy. xD I'm glad you liked it! :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back