• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Devil May Cry (Where we wait for DMC5)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Happyfunshineman

Awards
Re: Devil May Cry (DMC4SE digital only in West; June 18th 2015)

Edit.

Okay I just beat Vergils story and at the end as he leaves Fortuna his shadow is focused on showing what looks like the specter that appears behind Nero while in devil trigger.
I guess that's a confirmation of fatherhood or that Vergil is at least tied to Nero in some way?

I don't understand why Capcom doesn't just confirm this shit.

IMO those are the only two you need to play. I started with 4 but got the PS3 collection of DMC 1-3 and 1 didn't age well and 2 was horrible. But 3, 3 was a diddlying masterpiece. The only thing 4 did better than 3 was Dantes style combat.
The anime, which is surprisingly canon, wasn't to bad either. It shows you that Dantes views on humanity isn't much greater than Vergils.

Speaking of DMC4 I tried other characters finally AND HOLY DAMN I LOVE LADY! Overpowered as hell on easier modes but fun as hell.
I also love LOVE how costumes appear in cutscenes. Beria prototype costume looks so much better on him.

I'm feel like Itsuno wants to keep Virgil and Nero's connection mysterious, which is silly seeing as its kind of obvious.

Sad to hear you didn't seem to like DMC1. I've played the ps2 version a bunch of times and I played through the HD version in one sitting. Did forget to pick up the shotgun? It makes the game soooo much easier.

Yeah Lady is a lot of fun, though I recommend playing with her on high difficulties or else there's no challenge. Her shotgun charged up to level three is ridiculous but I love it! Interestingly enough, during E3 ,Gamespot did an interview with Itsuno where he revealed that he considered making a stand alone Lady game after DMC3. He also talks about his interests in continuing the series.

Anagram

Banned

I'm feel like Itsuno wants to keep Virgil and Nero's connection mysterious, which is silly seeing as its kind of obvious.

Sad to hear you didn't seem to like DMC1. I've played the ps2 version a bunch of times and I played through the HD version in one sitting. Did forget to pick up the shotgun? It makes the game soooo much easier.

Yeah Lady is a lot of fun, though I recommend playing with her on high difficulties or else there's no challenge. Her shotgun charged up to level three is ridiculous but I love it! Interestingly enough, during E3 ,Gamespot did an interview with Itsuno where he revealed that he considered making a stand alone Lady game after DMC3. He also talks about his interests in continuing the series.

The mystery really is rather stupid. DMC4 isn't even that widely loved among many fans sadly (from what I've seen anyway).
Just confirm this shit and get it done with.

I didn't dislike it hate DMC1 but I didn't find it replay able either. 3 took my attention far more. A remake of 1 might not be to bad. Though if they're gonna continue this PS4 special edition thing I'd rather get a 3 port with Dantes DMC 4 gameplay.

I'm working up to higher levels. Right now I'm just playing around having fun. I beat Vergil on human, now on Nero and I'll likely switch to Lady soon.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

Vergil's trip to Fortuna. Notice how there's a female that stares at him at the end. Capcom should confirm it already!!

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

So, basically he visited Fortuna before DMC3?

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

I remember how uncomfortable it was having Nero as the main guy back in the day and now I just want to get back to this DMC mythology with the trio.

Anagram

Banned

Random question but does no one else find it odd a Definitive Collection for the reboot and a Special Edition for the older series released so close together?

Also what's your guys DMC4SE style when using a character? (example, whats' your most used sytle-weapon combo for dante)

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

Random question but does no one else find it odd a Definitive Collection for the reboot and a Special Edition for the older series released so close together?

Also what's your guys DMC4SE style when using a character? (example, whats' your most used sytle-weapon combo for dante)

Now that you mentioned that, I wonder which one had sold more during that release?

Anagram

Banned

I bet which one did is important somehow to the future of the series....

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

I bet which one did is important somehow to the future of the series....

Which is why I'm hoping its the Special Edition. Hope it'll mean anything by all means if Capcom does listen.

Anagram

Banned

Agreed. I for one would love, LOVE, a remake/remaster of Devil May Cry 3. The DMC4SE is awesome but DMC3 was the series best. If they keep all that good thinking they had for DMC4's special edition in mind for a DMC3 redo then just imagine what glorious remake child we'd get.

Edit. Or ya know a new game with 'uncle Dante' and the old series in general.

Definitely, and that goes back to what I said few posts ago. I remember seeing Nero for the first time and I was so reluctant about it but since its release; remembered trying the demo out. I want to play as Nero and Dante now lol.
Sometimes it takes a fuk up:

DmC_Dante.jpg

For you to miss a lovable mess:

DMC4-Dante-rose.jpg

A remake would be cool but a lot of focus will need to be finally taken care of with that direction. I know DMC2 has a lot of negativity but would also love to see what happens afterwards.

I dont see why. DMC3's story is solid. I've seen few that hate it and it's a prequel to the entire series so it doesn't have anything to really tie up as it's a starting point.
DMC2 was just bad in all ways. Dante wasn't his lovable personality, gameplay wasn't all that fun and I question Lucias purpose.

The timeline is a mess though in the old series. Right now, with DMC4SE, it goes like this:
Vergil visits Fortuna>DMC3>DMC1>Anime>DMC4>DMC2

And that's not even counting any potential mangas or books I dont know about. If the anime is canon then who knows what else is.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

Agreed. I for one would love, LOVE, a remake/remaster of Devil May Cry 3. The DMC4SE is awesome but DMC3 was the series best. If they keep all that good thinking they had for DMC4's special edition in mind for a DMC3 redo then just imagine what glorious remake child we'd get.

Edit. Or ya know a new game with 'uncle Dante' and the old series in general.

Definitely, and that goes back to what I said few posts ago. I remember seeing Nero for the first time and I was so reluctant about it but since its release; remembered trying the demo out. I want to play as Nero and Dante now lol.

A remake would be cool but a lot of focus will need to be finally taken care of with that direction. I know DMC2 has a lot of negativity but would also love to see what happens afterwards.

Anagram

Banned

Okay so recently I happened to get a chance to try the definitive edition of the reboot. Before you ask "good lord why!?" it was basically free and ya never know till ya try it right?

Unlike most fans that threw a fit and quit after new Dante, aka 'Donte', was shown without white hair I decided to actually try the game back in it's initial 2013 release. Mostly because I dont care so much what color his hair is, the two great draws of DMC has always been gameplay and the characters. (although I do dislike that Donte looks like some meth head)

Anyway the original version of the reboot definitely had gameplay faults in comparison to it's classic series namesake. The dodges made you practically god-like, the lack of a lock-on is honestly one of the dumbest things you can do in a DMC game, and the puzzle aspect is all but gone except for mission 18.
The reboot had all around lost all the difficulty the classic series had while adding the frustrations of no lock-on and having to hold R2/L2 for your other weapons. (it cramped my hands badly)
Guns too were particularly pathetic. You can literally play and never use them even in the first playthrough.

But I seen some things mentioned about the definitive collection. Even if the characters were beyond salvage I thought I'd see if the gameplay additions improved the game any.

Lock-on:
The definitive edition brought back the classic series' lock-on feature while also retaining the original way of fighting without it. I wont lie this did help some. You can now focus on the more annoying enemies in a crowd again while also just spamming attacks on weaker hordes.
However the lock-on also seemed to bring on other problems. Noticably when trying to use some angelic moves with Vergil or using Dantes Aquilla the attacks would fly off in random directions rather than what I was locked onto and wouldn't fix itself unless I got hit or took the lock-on off.

Framerate
Tbh I'm not well versed in this technical jargon but I did notice the game doesn't slow down or lag as much. But I dont really have much more to add about it either.

Hardcore & Turbo Mode
These two honestly did bring a little bit of the old series feel back. The turbo mode is a nice thing to have in any game. The Hardcore mode though was what brought some old DMC feel back.
It tweaks the enemies and it changes Donte's devil trigger. Your enemies are no longer floating around randomly which made the original version ridiculously easy and annoying when trying to fight in D.T. mode.

It also seems to burn out quicker like in old DMC but I also noticed Donte regenerates faster than any other DT I've seen in the games. Not a negative trait though.

Ranking
This was a major issue in the original cut. You could literally never drop in ranking until you was hit. The definitive edition changed that. Now the stylish meter works as it always had. Well for the most part anyway.

It drops fast and you can't just keep spamming Rebellion to build it up anymore. I was never good at getting stylish rankings though so this is likely an improvement for the most skilled or challenge seekers among fans.

All in All?
I dont think these new editions help salvage the reboot. I tried them, the modes, the harder difficulties and it still doesn't salvage the wreckage of the characters.
Gaming has three main pillars. The story, the characters and the gameplay. No matter who you are you'll find that a majority of the fans you talk to didn't really think much of story. There was one, they didn't mind it but what drew many was the gameplay and the characters.

The definitive edition did help gameplay some. It's not longer a cake walk. (although it's still not all that hard either)
You can fix the DT and you now have the option of turbo modes and lock on to speed up and focus gameplay. But it also suffers from your attacks going in random directions randomly but not frequently and for some damn reason the game keeps deprogramming my PS4 controller cause me to have to reset it.
And this game still has the issue of the weapon layout. I know this is likely a me thing but it's incredibly uncomfortable to hold down R2 & L2 when your trying to do other things with your hands too. I dont see why the weapons couldn't just have the R2/L2 permanent switch like DMC4 had.

However for once when I play this I'm actually taking damage from enemies rather than dodging them on even the hardest modes like some gaming god when I know I'm far from it lol. DMC was always big for having modes that could kick your ass on even the first level. In the original version of this reboot you lacked such difficulty even at higher levels.
The combination of hardcore mode, turbo mode and the lock on gives you a semblance of the older series. That said the breaking deal of this game is still the characters.

Some scenes are edited a bit, a new one was added in, censorship in places but nothing helped salvage the wreckage of characters made in this reboot. I understand Ninja Theory had initial ideas close to the classic series but that Capcom kept pushing for further deviance (which makes their additions of old series gameplay mechanics hella funny) but Capcom really needed to remember the point of a reboot is to take what was loved and make anew with new things while carrying over at least some of the liked parts from the old.

Of course the fan reaction and in turn the reaction to them by Capcom/Ninja theory didn't help and only made things far worse. (not that I'm innocent of the issue myself)
I mean what the hell is this Dante? The old Dante was lighthearted, fun, and witty in every off beat comment he made to his enemies. He was an all around lovable character that you liked to see interact with other characters and bosses. He rarely ever had a situation that required serious focus and it was a great lighthearted game and experience.
The new Dante just drops the f-bomb every two damn seconds which makes even a common user of the curse words like myself groan. Theres a point when cursing becomes not a problem to being just lazy ass writing.
Then when he's not cursing he's being a dick which was comes off as him basically trying to be cool which doesn't work. What made old Dante cool was that the didn't try he just was.

Then there's Kat...I get the feeling she's meant to be Donte's version of DMC3 Dantes Lady. To teach him humanity in a sense. But this just doesn't happen. He hears some of her back story and suddenly cares? No just no.
What made old Dante and Lady work was that intertwining of their families. Lady made Dante think deeper about his brother Vergil and his father Sparda. When DMC3 starts Dante denounces even having a father but by the end he's embraces him entirely. He accepts his family. Nothing big or grand like discovering emotions, just a guy coming to gripes with something.

Then there's Vergil....just....just..what the hell? I can look past the computer mind, using a gun and stuff but the whole trade off scene was just so wrong. Dont even get me started on it.
I'm also disappointed to see a basic redo of DMC3's ending with Vergil. If you really wanted to go a new route why not give this new Dante and Vergil a happier more friendly term/bond? Dont get pissy and distance from the old series just to repeat it.

Mundus was just a joke. He has god-like power yet controls through debt? I dont understand this. If he's that powerful why not just rule directly like classic Mundus once did before Sparda sealed him? I dont understand why this all powerful being needs to use debt and brainwashing.

*sighs* Sorry for it being of a rant more than overview but I'm just saddened that even some classic elements can't fix this mess.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I just read through like, 4 or 5 pages of people discussing the remasters of DmC and DMC4. All I can say is I thought DmC was garbage, and I don't think the remaster will change my mind. On the other hand, I honestly enjoyed 4, it's my second favorite (behind 3), and I'm more psyched than ever to play the PS4 version after hearing all the praise and new Vergil jazz. If they could just make a good, solid DMC5 and give us a good ending, I could leave this series happy. If the next release of this series that I hear about though is a follow up to the reboot, I will be extremely disappointed, I've really missed the old gang (seriously, the characters in the reboot could have been given totally different names and I probably would have been happier).

Anagram

Banned
Devil May Cry's Future isn't tied to how well DMC4 Special Edition sells

What were some of the challenges introducing three new characters into Devil May Cry: Special Edition?

Itsuno: We always planned to have Virgil added to the game because he was in the special edition of Devil May Cry 3. That was there right from the start, but we were originally planning on having Lady and Trish be alternate re-skins of Dante, Nero, and Vergil. Then we looked at it and thought, "Maybe people don't want that." Even though we were already part way through the project, we already accounted time for making costume diversions of Lady and Trish, so we decided to go the the extra mile and add them in as full-fledged characters with their own unique move-sets. Though, the toughest part of adding them was having less time than we anticipated we would have to do more work, but we got there in the end.

Did Lady and Trish necessitate any sort of tweaks or changes to the original gameplay in terms of level design or balance to be able to put them in?

Rather than changing the game's level design, we put our effort towards designing Lady and Trish to be gameplay experiences that are different from Dante, Nero, and Virgil. The only thing we changed was some of the bosses in order to accommodate Lady and Trish's different play styles so they don't get caught in an attack exploit due to the new gameplay that wasn't anticipated during original development.

However, these changes are per character. So if you're playing as Dante, you'll get the same boss fight experience you had in the original game. But if you play Lady, for example, that's when the bosses become Lady compatible bosses so to speak.

Now that Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition is complete, do you have a favorite character that stands out for you of the five that are in the game?

I would probably say Lady. It's a real discovery I made myself when we created her. To put a long range character into DMC and to take on the challenge of making that work was clearly something very different from what we've done before. We worked really hard on her and I'm really pleased with the way she came out. The fact that something that is something totally new to existing players is really fun.

Is Lady a character that you think that is strong enough to support her own game, maybe, in some stage?

Yeah, as a matter of fact we considered that after making Devil May Cry 3. We thought we could have a Lady spin-off. It never happened, but she's definitely cool enough and strong enough character.

Something I read, and I wanted to confirm with you, is there a survey within the game for fans, which will help determine the future of the franchise?

I think it's a bit of a misunderstanding. At the time of Devil May Cry 4, I spoke to an interviewer in Japan and I had given a message to the fans at the end of the interview saying "Let us know what you want to see in the future of DMC." I spoke to the same guy this time around for the special edition and I kind of just made an off-the-cuff comment along the lines of, "We're always listening to your feedback, please buy the special edition." So I think the fans with internet have taken that there is a literal survey somewhere with check boxes that will feed into a future game, but it was just a general comment on my part saying that Capcom values fan feedback.

Because that headline read as the future of the franchise is dependent on this, and that's not the case, is that correct?

No, I have never said anything along the lines of holding anything in the future hostage to sales of this title.

The Devil May Cry series has a very dedicated fan base who are still playing Devil May Cry 4 to this day. What do you want to say to them in regards to what they can look forward to with the Devil May Cry series?

After Devil May Cry 4 came out and then Ninja Theory's DMC: Devil May Cry followed it, some fans were disappointed and felt the main series had ended. But I'm glad that the message is out there with Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition that the main series is not over, and that DMC: Devil May Cry did not kill it. But that isn't to say that the latter was just a one shot, that game also got it's own next-gen re-release earlier this year.
DMC: Devil May Cry

Speaking of Ninja Theory and DMC: Devil May Cry, at the time you had said that part of the reason you went with them was that you wanted a different sensibility around the franchise. What were your overall thoughts on the final product and the game?

I think I'm happy with the performance of the game. If it had been a world changing hit, it might have changed the course of the series by becoming the new DMC. But at the same time, if it was a lot less successful than it was, it might have just been a flash in the pan failure that never got followed through with the definitive edition this year. In a way, I'm actually really pleased of where we were able to hit between those two separate extremes.

So you see those, I guess, those two series games as fairly separate?

Yeah, they are a little bit apart in that sense that if you didn't look at it that way you couldn't release the DMC 4: Special Edition, for example.

Do you see yourself sort of taking that on internally again, or working with partners to develop?

I honestly don't know. I don't really know, to be honest, at this stage.
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

You mentioned earlier before that you guys are always listening to fan feedback. How much does that influence your decisions about that game? The fan community is very vocal, but you still have to serve a broad audience. What do you pick up from fans and what do you try and stick to your vision about?

I like to listen to all the fan feedback that I can, but listening to it doesn't mean listening to it and doing everything that the fans request, because that would end up with a not very good game. That's not to say that the fan feedback isn't good, but if you took it all on board and put it all together then you would get a mess in the game. You have to make these decisions about what to include and what not to include. The high level play that we see from the really hardcore fans is something that we want to keep.

The high level play that we see from the really hardcore fans is something that we want to keep.

At the same time, I want to expand the base of that structure so that you have this very high peak that the fans can reach, but that you still have an accessible of enough base so that people who aren't as hardcore can still get in there and enjoy the gameplay. With that in mind, I like to listen to the fan feedback but not necessarily do exactly what they've asked. Instead I think "Well that's what they like and this is why they want that, but how can I even go above and beyond that with my own idea that will hopefully satisfy those fan desires?"

What are the most common things that fans keep asking you about apart from, "Where's my Devil May Cry?"

People ask me a lot if we can have more development of Sparda as a character, and also I get asked a lot if there's any possibility of co-op coming to the series, which is something we've flirted with in the past. In Devil May Cry 3, and its special edition, there's certain parts of the game where Dante would have a doppelganger on screen. You can actually plug in a second controller and press start, and a second player can take control of the doppelganger. It's kind of hidden co-op feature that maybe not many people know about. That also works for a boss battle in that game where Dante and Virgil team up against a boss. So it's definitely something we've had in our minds for a long time that I'd certainly be interested in exploring.

Do you think that the style of gameplay that you want is conducive to co-op?

Well, we wouldn't go as far to say that, because obviously if it was completely 100% suited to the gameplay we have, we would have put it in by now. Part of the reason co-op has appeared as a secret feature in bits and pieces is because there were problems with simply implementing co-op into Devil May Cry as it is.

Well damn....

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
So the original Devil May Cry is still basically flirting around the sky some where. Bring that Devil May Cry 5 already!

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
from aforementioned interview that incognito linked said:
But what was most intriguing out of all of this in our conversation was how the sales of Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition will not determine the future of the series. If anything, the game's existence is more of a message to fans that the main series is far from over.

Far from over...

YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!YES!

Anagram

Banned
I mean it makes sense. Why else bring back 4, port it to PS4 but do all the work they did? I mean if they was after easy money they could've just ported and stopped but they went extra miles by adding three playable characters, adding 4 new scenes and making costumes appear in the cutscenes themselves for the first time ever.

You can tell they're either unsure what to do or they realize the backlash of the reboot. I do wonder what will happen to the reboot now. Even if most dmc fans dropped it the game still garnered many fans of it's own. Mostly people not of the old dmc fanbase. lol

Coincidentally I see no news on any future reboot plans haha.

Does anyone else really wish the DMC HD collection was ported to PS4? TnT

Anagram

Banned
I'd be happy just having DMC3 on PS4 honestly.

Tbh I think a lot of us fans would. I only ever got the HD collection for 3 and to try out 1 & 2. BUT I only played the others once each. Played 3 dozens of times. Tried to complete it as much as possible.

I almost wish we'd have gotten a special PS4 edition of DMC3 rather than 4. Just imagine a ramped up DMC3 with DMC4 graphics, the ability to switch styles on the fly, and lady playable entirely on her own. All combined with DMC3's story and levels.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Tbh I think a lot of us fans would. I only ever got the HD collection for 3 and to try out 1 & 2. BUT I only played the others once each. Played 3 dozens of times. Tried to complete it as much as possible.

I almost wish we'd have gotten a special PS4 edition of DMC3 rather than 4. Just imagine a ramped up DMC3 with DMC4 graphics, the ability to switch styles on the fly, and lady playable entirely on her own. All combined with DMC3's story and levels.

That would be the DMC dream.

Back