• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Determism or Compatibilism?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Determinism or Compatiblism?

• Determinism

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Compatiblism

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oberon

I'm not familiar with the term compatibilism. I'm used to just plain old probability. The more you know, I guess~ lol

Anyway, I believe we live a primarily free life. The concept of determinism would make sense but if it's true that everything ends up a certain way, I believe it can only be "in the end." However, to which way you want to define "in the end" is where you start stepping into a more complex discussion. It could mean God, it could mean a universal force of inevitability; who knows.

My ability to make virtually any decision I want (consequences aside) proves to me we have 99% free will, so that's what I'm going off of.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
lolololol

free will doesn't exist on a secular or religious scale because most of these so-called decisions are influenced by your identity, something not very unique and manufactured mostly by your nature and certain aspects of nurture you have absolutely no control over

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
To once more quote LongLiveLife:

If it looks, smells and tastes like free will, it's probably free will.

There are limitaions to it, ones imposed by ourself and the outside. Social, economic, technological, racial, sexual, educational, philosophical (and so forth) situations that you participate and grow up in will all change the way you think, in ways you can't control.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
If it looks, smells and tastes like free will, it's probably free will.

I can create an odorless, colorless gas that's actually a poison and takes a bit to kill you.

I have no suspicion of this because who the hell would think their air is poisoned? Not that I could notice if I wanted to.

But when I'm dead, it won't of mattered much if it tasted like or smelled like air.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Right, so ultimately, I may be completely and totally mistaken, and there may be some preordained fate by which all our paths in life are set; it doesn't change the fact that to the best of my knowledge, there is free will and I am regularly exercising it when I walk, talk, eat, sleep, study, slack, whatever.

I accept the possibility of fate, but the evidence I have suggests strongly otherwise.

noheartx

I don't really believe in determinism. I think you control what you do with your own free will. I mean, i chose to come on KHI, i don't believe i was destined to.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Though that is the trap with determinism if it's true: you can't tell if you have free will or not because it's an intricate illusion.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I believe we have free will due to the fact that we can do whatever we wish to do. Although circumstances and other factors may make us choose to do otherwise. However it is still our choice in the end.

superbanana

earth (but thats just what an alien would want you
★;5557473 said:
I can create an odorless, colorless gas that's actually a poison and takes a bit to kill you.

I have no suspicion of this because who the hell would think their air is poisoned? Not that I could notice if I wanted to.
actually, you are currently breathing poisonous gas called oxygen, it's just not poisonous to mammalls, lizards, and bugs(i think that's everything), on earth.

very differentiable
Awards
Everything is poisonous when taken in too large amounts. If the air around us would be 100% oxygen, people would die quite fast. Heck, drink too much water and you'll die.

On the topic at hand. When looking from a biological view, it's not directly deterministic. Though evolution doesn't effect us daily, it has imprinted the human mind with certain patterns. So it is indirecty deterministic.

If we look at physics, and the universe itself, we can see that everything on the quantum scale is highly indeterministic. On the other hand, we have the multiverse hypothesis as well as causality, which impose some sort of determinism on the universe, and us too. It simply depends on the way you look at.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Water is poisonous (if not consumed in moderation).

What now?

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
I believe on the individual level we have free will but certain things are destined to happen, such as some important historical events, certain people may have a predetermined destiny if they are meant to have a big effect on the course of the future.

What thinks are predetermined and what things are soley based on free will is not my place to say.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
It's all a hoax you're all deluded in your own ideologies when

IN FACT

you're still stuck in limbo

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Yes. My future is what I want it to be. I have no god to thank, no good to look at. Just me, and my actions. Life isn't linear.

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
I believe we all have free will, but I do also believe that certain events are orchestrated and are inevitably going to happen or have happened in the past. Not sure if that even makes sense necessarily, but that's my belief.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
So I was in a drive-thru waiting to get some food when I just started staring at the windshield. A rain drop hit one part of the windshield and I just kept on watching as more and more drops of rain hit it. Almost every one hit a different part of the windshield and lots took different paths but every single one headed down the windshield. Also some took almost the same path as the rain drops that went down before them. That is when I started thinking about this thread. I realized that we are kind of like those rain drops. We all eventually end up in the same place no matter what path we take and that is death. Some rain drops reached the bottom before others very similar to the way some lives end sooner then others. I guess the point of the comparison is that it all depends on where gravity has us land. We can choose are path but sometimes we cannot veer from the path that we land on. We like to follow the paths of others. Sometimes we are brave enough to form a new path though. In that way we both have free will and do not have free will. Either way we all end up in the same place in the end. Hope I worded this correctly. Just putting a thought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back