Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
Case Closed, also known as Detective Conan is an ongoing Japanese detectivemanga series written and illustrated by Gosho Aoyama. It was serialized in Shogakukan's Weekly Shōnen Sunday on January 19, 1994, and has been collected into 90 tankōbon volumes. Due to legal considerations with the name Detective Conan, the English language release was renamed to Case Closed.

The story follows an amateur detective who was transformed into a child while investigating a mysterious organization, and solves a multitude of cases while impersonating his friend's father and other characters.

The series received an anime adaptation by Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation and TMS Entertainment. The anime resulted in animated feature films, original video animations, video games, audio disc releases, and live action episodes. In 2009, a television special titled Lupin the 3rd vs. Detective Conan was aired featuring characters from Lupin III.

Funimation licensed the anime series for North American broadcast in 2003 under the name Case Closed with the characters given Americanized names. The anime premiered on Cartoon Network as part of their Adult Swimprogramming block and was discontinued due to low ratings. On March 2013, Funimation began streaming their licensed episodes of Case Closed and was simulcasted by Crunchyroll in 2014. Funimation has also localized the first six Case Closed films, while Discotek Media localized the Lupin III crossover special and its film sequel. Meanwhile, the manga was localized by Viz Media, who used Funimation's renamed title and cast.

The tankōbon volumes of the manga have sold over 140 million copies in Japan. In 2001, the manga was awarded 46th Shogakukan Manga Award in the shōnen category. The anime adaptation has been well received and ranked in the top twenty in Animage's polls between 1996 and 2001. In the Japanese TV anime ranking, Case Closed episodes ranked in the top six on a weekly basis. Both the manga and anime have had positive response from critics for its plot and cases.
I couldn't find a thread, so I figured I should just create one.

Unfortunately, I do not think there are many DC fans on KHinsider, so I will just let this Thread be and update it if any spoilers etc. come up. Might do some reviews of released chapters, too. :)
I hope some people will post here~

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
I really want to post my theory for any DC Fan out there.

Okay, here's my train of thought:

Wakitais probably a BO member with the codename Whiskey.
Wakita, who has been introduced not many chapters ago, will be assigned to a "side". So either CIA / FBI etc. or BO.
Apart from that, I don't see him as a "loose" character, as I can hardly imagine a suitable role in that context.
At most, an independent private detective/investigator? Somehow doesn't really fit.
Wakitanear Kogoro = guards of the police (FBI / CIA) or a spy of the BO.
Which one is more obvious? The latter IMO, because of the end of Chapter 953.

The basis for my speculation is this sentence:
"Pirates Spirit [Rum] is such a weak horse."
I don't see the irony behind it and assume that he was serious.
Say: He is "dissing" Rum.
If he were an FBI/CIA agent, this wouldn't fit, because he would probably have caught the supposed 'weak' Rumthen.
A Kid-Nakamori relationship is less likely IMO.
So I think it's rather a BO internal-rivalry, similar to Chianti-Vermouth.
This kind of plot development would (at least in my opinion) provide Gosho a few more options to extend the story once again and just add another (this time really "bad") antagonist. So far, we only have Vermouth as a really dangerous antagonist.

But why Whiskey? In relevant circles, the choice of "Whiskey or Rum" will be regular, similar to "Red vs. White Wine".
Whiskey has not yet been introduced to the DC Universe and this would be the opportunity to introduce a character with that name.
Therefore: Wakita= Whiskey
Time will tell…

EDIT: I just read the translation of Sherry's Soliloquy, which is…

"Danpei, a regular [character]!?" Danpei is a character which seems to be the inspiration for Wakita, the cook. So maybe this confirms that he'll appear again at some time.

Last edited:

Lonbilly

bisexuals in space
  • Ninja'd
  • Nose Stuck in a Book
I've actually been a fan of this series since I saw it as a wee little child on Adult Swim, and I've been slowly making my way through the show over the last year, so I'm barely at episode 100 of the dub. Kinda sad the dub got discontinued, since I actually really liked the voice acting for it, and it'll definitely take some adjusting when I have to start watching the Japanese dub.

I have no idea what is currently going on where the show is caught up at, but I read yet another "rumored report" on a site stating the show and manga would be soon coming to a close, but they've had that rumor around for about four years now, so I have my doubts.

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
Aw, that's nice to hear! :)

Well, the Anime is at 900+ Episodes now. xD
The series will definitely end within the next 15 years, given how Gosho introduced the Second In Command. Then there will probably be a Gin Arc which will take years and then te final Arc. I've been a fan of this series since I was born, lol.
The last Arc, as an example, took 13(!) years to get to its climax.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
  • Final Fantasy VIII PC
  • Nothing's Like Before
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX
  • 15th Anniversary
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX
I love the series too, but I lost track of it a long time ago. To be honest, even though it is a great series, I think the author REALLY needs to wrap it up at some point.

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
I love the series too, but I lost track of it a long time ago. To be honest, even though it is a great series, I think the author REALLY needs to wrap it up at some point.
Definitely. On one hand, I'm glad that DC is so famous in Japan (there are cafes, airports, etc), but on the other hand… it's getting tedious.

Still, I love theorizing about DC and I love all the characters and the plot twists.

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
After I have read through some of the chapters again, I think there are two possibilities concerning Mary.

It would be interesting to know if 1) APTX victims are always rejuvenated by 10 years or 2) are always shrunk to the body of a 7-year-old. In the second case, this would mean that Mary was shrunk at least 5 years ago because she has a body of 12-13-year-old.

If Mary took the APTX in its present form - which I don't necessarily assume, because she shows signs of diseases, which are not present in Ai and Conan's cases - then number 1 is to be excluded. Mary must be around 50-years-old, so that the approx. 30-year-old Akai can be her son. A shrinkage of 10 years would not have brought her into her current state. So it must be number two, or the APTX works differently for every human being.

With that said, I have a theory about the identity of Mary. I will post my theory later (probably will edit this post)

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
Not really. There are two different drugs, the [Silver Bullet] and the APTX4869.
We don't know the goal of the Organization just yet. Hell, we don't even know their name. xD

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
  • Final Fantasy VIII PC
  • Nothing's Like Before
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX
  • 15th Anniversary
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
Weeelll,

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I think their ultimate goal is raising the dead

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
Okay, so here's my new theory....

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Ballad of Caius

Put on a Happy Face
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
  • Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
Dunno about you guys, but Judie Santermillion has to be my favorite character. xD I love her Engrish xDDD

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
Dunno about you guys, but Judie Santermillion has to be my favorite character. xD I love her Engrish xDDD
Do you mean Jodie Saintemillion? Yeah, I love her. Her being an FBI-Agent is awesome as well, just like her Red Herring Arc. <3
Well, she had this awesome English Accent in German. Victoria Sturm is an awesome actress.

Ballad of Caius

Put on a Happy Face
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
Do you mean Jodie Saintemillion? Yeah, I love her. Her being an FBI-Agent is awesome as well, just like her Red Herring Arc. <3
Well, she had this awesome English Accent in German. Victoria Sturm is an awesome actress.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Ballad of Caius

Put on a Happy Face
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
[video=youtube;LLQSifY1Jjk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLQSifY1Jjk[/video]

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVER
KAZÉ DUBBED AN EPISODE

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREEEVEER
WE CAN WATCH A NEW EPISODE IN GERMANNNN

the actors/actresses ARE ALL BACK <3
24th can't come sooner!

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
So, I have a new theory I want to share.
Today came a strange thought to me: could Anokata be... Shiho Miyano?
No, I don't mean the Shiho Miyano who became Ai Haibara.

"You're drunk, go to bed."
Be patient with me for a moment:

After reading through volume 56 again, I noticed something really strange. We got informed that Atsushi Miyano took over his house 30 years ago from his own father - Shiho's grandfather.
I started wondering… why did we get this info?
Gosho Aoyama would never give away such information if it weren't crucial.
Then I remembered that Conan Edogawa and Heiji Hattori, went to Bikuni (the "Island of the Mermaids") in volume 28. They went through all the old guest books, and noticed the name "Shiho Miyano" (宮野 志保).

"Shiho Miyano... isn't that her real name? But that can only be a foolish coincidence. She is not the type who is crazy about eternal youth and beauty." - Conan Edogawa says this immediately after her read that name.
What if he was right? What if it really wasn't her - and not a foolish coincidence, either?
After a little research, I found out that Shiho is usually a female name, but it can be a male name if spelled "史峰".

I think it is clear where I'm going with this: Shiho Miyano's grandfather might be a candidate for "a no kata". His name might also be Shiho Miyano (written as 宮野 史歩) - maybe, her parents gave Shiho the same name as her grandfather?
Did he write the name deliberately with other characters to "tear down bridges," as Vermouth describes A no kata's behavior?
And has there been a case in Detective Conan with such tricks/ mind games using other characters? A few things are also quite irritable:

• A no kata's name would then have been appeared in the manga quite a lot of times, as promised by Gosho Aoyma. Quite often as his granddaughter's name (Shiho Miyano) and once in another spelling, but in relation to himself, as a name in the guestbook.
  • His granddaughter was named after him - could this explain the scret information within the the organization that Akemi was never given?
  • Akemi Miyano, Shiho Miyano's sister, was the one who took over the name of a male (who was an older professor), called Masami Hirota (広田 正巳) - in her case as a pseudonym (広田 雅美). Note that Akemi has changed the Kanji of "Hirota". Perhaps this "identity-stealing" thingy was even thought not only to be a meta-message, but even in-story consciously chosen by her, because it was based on the example of her sister and her grandfather (she wouldn't necessarily have to have known that her grandfather was A no kata). In any case, this could be an interesting parallel.
  • Vermouth is A no kata's "darling/favorite" within the organization, which is why she has a lot of freedom - can one draw an analogy to Atsushi Miyano's marriage with another western woman? Could the son come here in some sense after his father (as they say, the apple does not fall far from the tree)? Did A no kata/Shiho/Atsushi's father make her so well-known and popular?
  • If one assumes that Atsushi left his house 30 years ago because of a large research facility (which is assumed to be the organization) and he was at least 18 back then - like his daughter right now - and that he would be around 48 years old now, we can speculate that his father (the supposed grandfather Shiho Miyano or A no kata) was at least 18 when Atsushi was born, which would make him 70 years old. This is certainly an age that could be considered for A no kata, and especially for the project, which has already been going on for "half a century".
  • This is more meta than anything, but: Conan immediately rejected that it is the Shiho he knows (Ai Haibara) and also never confronted her (on-panel?). Perhaps that would be too early in the plot if he did because Ai would tell him something about her grandfather?
  • The emotional impact would be almost as bad for Ai Haibara as in the popular Atsushi theory: someone from her family is the head of the antagonists in Detective Conan, while it would additionally avoid the (more or less) overused "the father was it"-cliché.

There's one tiny problem, though… 志保 and 史峰 aren't read the same 'way'. Ai Haibara's real name is Shiho (しほ), while the other name is read as Shihô (しほう). But the idea could still be working - there does seem to be a male variant of "Shiho" with a short o. This one's written as 史歩, and I was able to find a male photographer who has this name.

So, what do you guys think about this theory?

Last edited:

Muke

whatever
  • Savage Nymph
  • Key of Destiny
  • Graceful Assassin
  • Come So Far
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Melodious Nocturne
… another theory that I came up with some weeks ago but was too lazy to post.

In one of the Digest Books (60+), Gosho has indicated that the drugs from "Akira" were an inspiration for the APTX 4869 (or at least its capsule form). I continued to read the interview and found out that those drugs apparently increase the existing strength, sharpens the senses, and, if I understand correctly, push psychological strength/ESC (electronic stability control) to a certain extent.

While I strongly doubt ESC exists in Detective Conan, I try to clarify the idea with Ai Haibara's "Aurasense" - the whole concept is independent of Akira, but I got a different/more specific idea:
I think the biochemical project of the organization could be a kind of "super soldier serum", which increases performance, sharpens the senses, etc. Perhaps it's even simpler and the APTX was supposed to precisely accomplish one thing:
Superhuman sensual aggravation.
How do I think so? I would like to explain the following in the light of some possible evidence from the manga:

According to Gosho Aoyama, immortality is not the goal of the organization.
Gosho Aoyama in the Da Vinci Interview said:
Q: どうか! どうか、あと二つ質問させてください! 黒ずくめの組織の目的とはナニ? APTX4869の作用から考えると、不老不死が怪しいのでは……。
Q: Please! Please, let me ask 2 more questions! What is the BO’s goal? Going by the APTX4869, I would think immortality…

A:「違います。確かにそう思っちゃうよね。今ね、組織の中では大変なことが起こっていますよ」
That’s wrong. It’s true that you’d think that, isn’t it? You see, right now, something really big is happening within the organization.

Elena Miyano already referred to the "Silver Bullet" (on the audio tapes) as a "miracle drug. It would also be a suitable association for a "terrible drug", or one that can never be produced since it could be misused. The APTX was a direct reconstruction of the Silver Bullet on the basis of the (not burned) documents of Ai Haibara's parents:

Ai Haibara in file 948 said:
The drug has probably been developed by my parents. I have gathered their records, whose which weren't burned, and simply reproduced the drug.

It would also be a drug which doesn't necessarily seem to be entirely appropriate for everyone:
"It is a drug with which one can revive the dead. Do you want to hear something like that?", Ai jokingly says and tells Conan to stay unconcerned and that her research is not "whimsical" but "a silly creation that hardly anyone in the world knows how to value". This sounds like something that could first be considered to be irrelevant by many, but still, has a lot of (criminal?) potential. It's also strongly cell-related:

Ai Haibara said:
Shinichi, you have to listen closely now. The drug that has shrunk our bodies is called APTX 4869. The APTX stands for "apoptosis" and the "apop" in it for apoptosis. Apoptosis is the terminology for programmed cell death ... Cells can kill themselves. This is a vital mechanism for our organism. When the signal is suppressed, the cells remain alive [...] However, the poison not only induces apoptosis but also causes telomerase to be activated, which results in an increase in the reproductive capacity of the cells.
Shiho also apparently wasn't supposed to produce a rejuvenation drug, nor some sort of poison:
Ai Haibara said:
"I… actually didn't want to create a poison."
The idea is that the purpose is to "rejuvenate" sense cells, which expire naturally with age - that is to say, rejuvenation was going in the right direction. It was only, 'too complete', which in turn makes the drug itself 'incomplete'.

TLDR: The drug was not supposed to rejuvenate people, but senses.