• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Destroying Keyblades?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I recently finished replaying Re:Coded and I got to the scene where Maleficent destroyed Data Sora's Keyblade. Now I know that the Keyblade was data and Data Sora does regain it later on but I was wondering if you guys think it is possible to destroy a Keyblade and keep it destroyed? If so I can see this coming up in a future game.

Samhain

Bronze Member
I recently finished replaying Re:Coded and I got to the scene where Maleficent destroyed Data Sora's Keyblade. Now I know that the Keyblade was data and Data Sora does regain it later on but I was wondering if you guys think it is possible to destroy a Keyblade and keep it destroyed? If so I can see this coming up in a future game.

Not sure
In the original concept of BBS Ven's keyblade shattered when facing MX & Vanitas

I guess they removed it because if his keyblade shattered Aqua would be dead

JustSnilloc

If I'm not mistaken, Nomura might have said something about this, but all I can think of is him commenting on that particular scene...

Anyways, in order to determine if a keyblade could be destroyed we must first determine how a keyblade is created and naturally what it is made from. We've seen real keyblades destroyed in the past, the PoH Keyblade wielded by Ansem-Riku, and the X-Blade, and those didn't last because they were not created "properly".

So the real question here is this; What is the keyblade? Here's what we know about it...
- It chooses its master
--- by extension it can reject someone it has already chosen (showing some level of sentience)
- Only people with strong hearts can wield them
--- Generally only by keyblade ceremony can you even obtain one
--- The summoning limit is one keyblade per heart
- With the exception of two, every keyblade in this series that we've seen has been of the Realm of Light
- Keychains are metaphysical objects (often based on memories) that when equipped to a keyblade will change it's form
- Keyblades can transform into other objects (just watch what terra's lingering will does with his)
- Keyblades (along with pretty much every other weapon in this series) can be summoned out of thin air

While they indeed hold a physical presence, I don't think they can by physically destroyed... And more than that, I don't think there is a method for a legitimate keyblade to be destroyed, just look at the keyblade graveyard, long after their wielders died, their Keyblades continued on.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
Not sure
In the original concept of BBS Ven's keyblade shattered when facing MX & Vanitas

I guess they removed it because if his keyblade shattered Aqua would be dead

I forgot about Ven and Vanitas but wasn't Ven's Keyblade destroyed when he defeated Vanitas?

If I'm not mistaken, Nomura might have said something about this, but all I can think of is him commenting on that particular scene...

Anyways, in order to determine if a keyblade could be destroyed we must first determine how a keyblade is created and naturally what it is made from. We've seen real keyblades destroyed in the past, the PoH Keyblade wielded by Ansem-Riku, and the X-Blade, and those didn't last because they were not created "properly".

So the real question here is this; What is the keyblade? Here's what we know about it...
- It chooses its master
--- by extension it can reject someone it has already chosen (showing some level of sentience)
- Only people with strong hearts can wield them
--- Generally only by keyblade ceremony can you even obtain one
--- The summoning limit is one keyblade per heart
- With the exception of two, every keyblade in this series that we've seen has been of the Realm of Light
- Keychains are metaphysical objects (often based on memories) that when equipped to a keyblade will change it's form
- Keyblades can transform into other objects (just watch what terra's lingering will does with his)
- Keyblades (along with pretty much every other weapon in this series) can be summoned out of thin air

While they indeed hold a physical presence, I don't think they can by physically destroyed... And more than that, I don't think there is a method for a legitimate keyblade to be destroyed, just look at the keyblade graveyard, long after their wielders died, their Keyblades continued on.

Yes that's true but we don't know if someone attempted to destroy those Keyblades in the graveyard.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Data-Sora's first Keyblade wasn't a real Keyblade. It was basically a cheat code given to him by Mickey.

The Keyblade he got after that one was broken was a real Keyblade. So it can't be destroyed.

The χ-blade and the Keyblade of People's Hearts have different properties. The Keyblade of People's Hearts was forged using hearts, which aren't exactly invincible. The χ-blade broke as a result of the Keyblade War, the destructive power of which did not only that but also splintered the entire World and plunged Kingdom Hearts into the Realm of Darkness.

If a true Keyblade can be destroyed, we can assume it's only possible with a great deal of force.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Well considering that the original X-Blade was destroyed and it's supposed to be the Big Kahuna of Keyblades as opposed to most others that are man made I'd say it's theoretically possible. Obviously, it's not easy to break a Keyblade but under the right circumstances one probably could. Exactly what those circumstances are is anyone's guess though.

Although if it's possible to destroy one permanently, that's a more difficult question because we're not entirely aware of what comprises a Keyblade. Nomura said there's an "interior key" and an "exterior key" and if what MX said is true the Keyblades at the Keyblade Graveyard had "died" in someway perhaps hinting that the "interior key" is no more. They exist physically and perhaps can't be destroyed (or it's still very difficult to) but for all intensive purposes those Keyblades have been implied to be "dead". The reasons haven't been made entirely clear, just that it relates to the Keyblade War in some way.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Nomura said there's an "interior key" and an "exterior key" and if what MX said is true the Keyblades at the Keyblade Graveyard had "died" in someway perhaps hinting that the "interior key" is no more.
Going by the general theme of things in the KH universe, I think the interior key is the "heart" of the Keyblade, and the exterior key is the body. The heart is the source of the Keyblade's power, and the part of it that bonds to the wielder.

So if a Keyblade's wielder dies, so does the interior key, making the exterior key an empty husk.

Ruran

Awards
Going by the general theme of things in the KH universe, I think the interior key is the "heart" of the Keyblade, and the exterior key is the body. The heart is the source of the Keyblade's power, and the part of it that bonds to the wielder.

So if a Keyblade's wielder dies, so does the interior key, making the exterior key an empty husk.

I reckon the concept works something along those lines, the only thing keeping it from following it to a "T" is ME's Keyblade. It was still functional after he "died" and instead transferred ownership over to Aqua. But then again Master Keeper may or may not be a special Keyblade. Or it has something to do with ME being tethered to the mortal plain, via, Terra's body/heart, but then again MK didn't disappear as a Keyblade normally should, it stayed put until Aqua picked it up.

Hmm...*scratches chin* At the moment we don't know what normally happens to a Keyblade after its wielder dies because we have yet to see what happens under normal circumstances. Even with the ones at the KBG I'd say it was unusual all things considering.

wolfshadow

Going back to how keyblades are made:

I think moogles know a bit more than they are letting on. They always provided Sora the Ultimate Keyblade if they were given the correct material to make it. So it seems moonless could 'make' any keyblade given the right materials. Maybe that's how some many synthetic blades were made for the keyblade war.

Ruran

Awards

I think moogles know a bit more than they are letting on. They always provided Sora the Ultimate Keyblade if they were given the correct material to make it. So it seems moonless could 'make' any keyblade given the right materials. Maybe that's how some many synthetic blades were made for the keyblade war.

It's a bit questionable how canon that is though as it may strictly be a game mechanic. Besides, Keyblades change appearance based on the Keychain they use. If "Keyblade synthesis" is canon it's likely that what the Moogles are making are actually Keychains rather than whole Keyblades.

JustSnilloc

Correction: the moogles made the ultimate keyCHAIN several times, which is only a single component of the keyblade... Also a keychain needs a keyblade to even be functional

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I reckon the concept works something along those lines, the only thing keeping it from following it to a "T" is ME's Keyblade. It was still functional after he "died" and instead transferred ownership over to Aqua. But then again Master Keeper may or may not be a special Keyblade. Or it has something to do with ME being tethered to the mortal plain, via, Terra's body/heart, but then again MK didn't disappear as a Keyblade normally should, it stayed put until Aqua picked it up.

Hmm...*scratches chin* At the moment we don't know what normally happens to a Keyblade after its wielder dies because we have yet to see what happens under normal circumstances. Even with the ones at the KBG I'd say it was unusual all things considering.

That's the thing about Keyblades. The original x-blade was destroyed and Ven and Vanitas's disappear after their battle but the Keyblades from the war and ME's remained.

wolfshadow

Correction: the moogles made the ultimate keyCHAIN several times, which is only a single component of the keyblade... Also a keychain needs a keyblade to even be functional

It's a bit questionable how canon that is though as it may strictly be a game mechanic. Besides, Keyblades change appearance based on the Keychain they use. If "Keyblade synthesis" is canon it's likely that what the Moogles are making are actually Keychains rather than whole Keyblades.

True, but still, even keychains for the keyblades. That means they possibly have more knowledge of keyblade and how a keychain can change it's form and give it more power (magic/strength).

Ruran

Awards
Guys, no bumping threads that are more than three months old. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back