• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Depictions of Asians in American Films

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyth

Yeah, I get that this topic is discussed a lot, but just right now I was catching up on some "The Last Airbender" movie news, and I literally facepalmed when I saw who the cast is. Whoever watches Avatar: The last Airbender could tell that the setting of the show is based on Chinese, shintoism, and taoism culture (the creators say so themselves), so I was irked about the "racebending" that occured >.<

This isn't even the first time that happened. Anyone remember the live action of DBZ? I was so disappointed. I grew up watching DBZ and seeing goku being played by a white guy was heartbreaking. I've ranted so much about this subject that Im just gonna move on now.

I've also noticed that most Asians in Hollywood movies are mostly depicted by their kung-Fu skills (crouching tiger hidden dragon, house of flying daggars) funny accents, and comedic relief (Jackie chan). It's rare to see Asians starring in a serious film without the aspects of martial arts.

And I've also noticed that Asian roles in a lot of movies are played by people of other races. Just add some prosthetics, makeup, scotch tape, squinty eyes, and an Asian accent, then boom. You're Asian. I'm an Asian, and it gets offending. It's facepalm worthy.

Maybe I'm just overreacting, but how would you guys feel if they casted a black as Harry potter, or a mexican as Frodo? Catch my drift?

Any thoughts?

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
You're forgetting one major element: it's Hollywood. Anything worth all the media attention needs to cater to white Americans, which makes up the vast majority of its audience. That's all I can really say on it, really. I personally disagree with 'racebending' to cater to an audience but to Hollywood, the only thing that matters is $$$ cash-in. Can you imagine a black guy playing Edward Cullen? Or a Malaysian playing Spiderman? These are extremely generic examples, of course, but look at it from a financial point of view: while America claims to be the land of freedom and is trying to banish racism (I still insist Obama was elected because he's black and therefore a novelty in the White House), Hollywood doesn't quite yet have the balls to say 'fuck you' to the oppressive, expectant viewers and stay true to a character's race.

Trag

Bronze Member
Haven't you ever seen a Tyler Perry movie?

NumberVIII

It's rare to see Asians starring in a serious film without the aspects of martial arts.

What movies are you watching? o.0

Edit: Atm I can't think of any movies in which an Asian starred (though I'm sure I will be able to after thinking some more), but there are tons and tons of Asians in American movies that have nothing to do with martial arts or that make fun of them. TV shows, too. There are definitely Asian-centric movies that don't revolve around martial arts, and there are definitely plenty of Asian supporting characters in all sorts of American movies. The main characters of Hollywood movies just tend to be white or black because, well, that's what the majority of the country's population is. :/

Last edited:

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
What Goku was white and so was Aang. And like VII said there are a lot of movies that Asian's starred in that have nothing to do with martial arts, though none come to mind.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Let's see: Harold and Kumar, Star Trek (at least not in the reboot), The Dark Knight (also Begins, aside from the group of assassins, but you're bound to have martial artists there), Alley McBeal, Kal Penn in House MD are some that come to mind.

Mind you, that no one can be considered comic relief if it's a comedic series/movie anyway. Everyone becomes comic relief there (this applies to House as well, everyone's a victim to that guy)

For the rest I agree. DBZ had no bussiness being made live action at all and the genderbending in The last Airbender is just mindbogling. (I believe that the first set of actors were actually a better fit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back