• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Dengeki Playstation interviews Nomura on Kingdom Hearts 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Nomura sounds depressed.

Also it is low-key ridiculous we don't have all of the somebody's names yet.

Nomura is probably depressed we are all still talking about ships after he threw a million UX bombs at us.

Or the fact that he has to focus on VIIR rather than working on KH 7 Days Versus XIII

GrandWebster

Based on what it seems like, there won't be another Kingdom Hearts game for a long time which was honestly expected. Considering Nomura is supposed to go full throttle into the Final Fantasy VII Remake, I think that will take precedent over any KH tile (or any Square game).

I remember reading that the plan was for Nomura to completely shift his focus to that after KH3 came out. If it ends up being episodic, we could even have to wait longer for the next game

I would think he knew of the wait for this game, But im still betting on 2023 for the next game

The Kid

Awards
I would think he knew of the wait for this game, But im still betting on 2023 for the next game
I can only see that if it's another smallish game. If FFVIIR really is gonna be multiple games, I reckon the wait will be longer. I don't think he'd start KH4 until that is finished

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Based on what it seems like, there won't be another Kingdom Hearts game for a long time which was honestly expected. Considering Nomura is supposed to go full throttle into the Final Fantasy VII Remake, I think that will take precedent over any KH tile (or any Square game).

I remember reading that the plan was for Nomura to completely shift his focus to that after KH3 came out. If it ends up being episodic, we could even have to wait longer for the next game

Osaka Team will continue working on the DLC so they can release it within the year, and then they'll move on to the next game. If Square Enix greenlights KH4 or whatever the next installment will be, then that's what they'll probably jump to. Nomura doesn't have the authority to decide on a whim what he wants to work on or when he wants to do so.

Sorakh212

Awards
I figured it was only a matter of time but man is it relieving to have official confirmation about DLC especially a Critical mode. Hope they also implement a NG+ and that this big package one is worth both the wait and price.
I'm also concerned about Nomura though. Dude's obviously lighting the candle at both ends and he sounds kinda depressed or maybe just exhausted and worn out from everything. Japan has a very crazy work environment after all even to the point where some work themselves death. Hope he's managing to get some R&R and maybe even take a vacation soon.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
At first I thought all this talk of desiring a blank page was meant as a "I want to start the saga off with a fresh start and don't want to concern myself too much with answering random lingering things from the past one" but the more it is brought up in this interview, and the way he keeps saying "if there is a next time", and the way this part is phrased ("I do want to finish it as early as possible this year and have the team start work on our next project. As for the future of the KH series...") almost makes it sound like the blank page he wants is a completely new, non-KH title, and that Osaka will move onto make this game before any continuation of KH? Hm.

GrandWebster

I can only see that if it's another smallish game. If FFVIIR really is gonna be multiple games, I reckon the wait will be longer. I don't think he'd start KH4 until that is finished
I wouldn't imagine it to be that small, because this was the end of a Saga, so naturally certain elements should end in a satisfying way, but because KH4 or whatever the next title be called will be a Fresh Start, but still carry certain plot elements from KH3, they wouldn't have to go too far with it. Seeing the amount of Sequel hooks in KH3 tells me this.

Plus its pretty common for any developer to stay vague and not directly confirm a sequel when talking about the next entry in their series after the current one has only just come out, that's just standard game-industry buisness. This game has only been out for a month anyway.

Also, the things on FFVII remake is still up in the air, because there is an event on April for Square Enix. Nomura commented about FFVII news this year, But I don't think they'll release all three in one bundle, possible but I doubt it.
All I'm saying with them getting Engine down for KH3, I don't get why it has to be so different, and seeing the sales, ratings and money. I think the next KH entry can come sooner than you think. 2023-2024 around there is the safest bet.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
The interviewer asked good questions and Nomura hit him with most bland answers (except for the DLC stuff which I’m excited for). But when Nomura says things like it’s simple to understand, then give him the answer if it’s so simple. He wouldn’t be asking if it was Einstein. I swear he does it for three questions in row saying “you should understand” and “you can figure it out” well dude it’s clearly questionable if someone is asking lol.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
The interviewer asked good questions and Nomura hit him with most bland answers (except for the DLC stuff which I’m excited for). But when Nomura says things like it’s simple to understand, then give him the answer if it’s so simple. He wouldn’t be asking if it was Einstein. I swear he does it for three questions in row saying “you should understand” and “you can figure it out” well dude it’s clearly questionable if someone is asking lol.
Well maybe he's finally realizing that putting in mysterious elements to get discussions going amongst your friends post-game is meaningless if in the next interview he just says "no, it's this" and point-blank ends all discussion.

GrandWebster

At first I thought all this talk of desiring a blank page was meant as a "I want to start the saga off with a fresh start and don't want to concern myself too much with answering random lingering things from the past one" but the more it is brought up in this interview, and the way he keeps saying "if there is a next time", and the way this part is phrased ("I do want to finish it as early as possible this year and have the team start work on our next project. As for the future of the KH series...") almost makes it sound like the blank page he wants is a completely new, non-KH title, and that Osaka will move onto make this game before any continuation of KH? Hm.

I think this "Blank Page" people should take with a grain of salt,

KH3 is been out for only a month, Nomura shouldn't be revealing whats next for the franchise, its just natural for a game-industry to keep things in the dark, because thats like asking for a new Smash game even though Ultimate just barely came out.

Square Enix has more franchises that doesn't involve Nomura like The Avengers Project with Disney. With The Sequel hooks in KH3, leaving it like that, its impossible.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah I am actually kind of uncomfortable with the blank sheet and if discussion. I guess if he wants to do another game in the middle he should, but then I really don't understand why he wrote the ending the way he did to just string it along for so long.

Now I'm more concerned about this than being excited about the DLC lol. But I guess I also heard about the Xion thing around the internet already so I was already happy that will be addressed further.

The Kid

Awards
Osaka Team will continue working on the DLC so they can release it within the year, and then they'll move on to the next game. If Square Enix greenlights KH4 or whatever the next installment will be, then that's what they'll probably jump to. Nomura doesn't have the authority to decide on a whim what he wants to work on or when he wants to do so.
Who knows, you could be right. But IIRC Disney wanted a KH3 soon after KH2 came out and Nomura was able to decline and put if off. It seems like he has almost complete creative control of the franchise. I don't think they'll just give it to someone else in the company and I don't see them pulling resources from what is a remake of Square's most successful game ever

That said, it is possible that Nomura will slowly start work on the next game once FFVIIR is finishing and then puts full energy once it's released. Or maybe he simultaneously just works on both projects at the same time. Who knows? I'm just speculating at this point lol but based on his wording, it doesn't sound like he has the next game planned out at all right now and when you consider he will be shifting focus to a whole different game, we may have to wait

GrandWebster

Its not like games between KH2 and KH3 don't matter. As long as its Disney-related.

But Nomura already hinted about FFVII news this year by responding "7" at the beginning of the year, Plus with event taking place in April in Japan. I would imagine that there could be something FFVII news, because I do believe a late 2020 release is plausible. However thats something we'll have to wait on.

But I think its best to keep KH4 or whatever is next in the dark and don't talk about it much, I would like for Nomura to come back refreshed and don't go too Ham for KH next installment, keep things at cool but also carry some of the unanswer plotpoints of KH3.

mriku90

Awards
Nomura is just being Nomura. He's not going to announce the next game until it's ready to be announced. Of course there will be another game but until it's announced he won't say anything more. This has literally been his memo since the beginning of KH.

Disney is probably gonna want another game within 3-4 years I imagine and with those sales I think it's understandable why and I think 2022 will be the next KH game I imagine.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Nomura is probably depressed we are all still talking about ships after he threw a million UX bombs at us.

Or the fact that he has to focus on VIIR rather than working on KH 7 Days Versus XIII

Depressed that we just didn't understand his grand master plan with Kairi.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
His comments about a Final Mix are pretty much what I expected. I didn't believe there would be a physical release a la the FMs of the past like others have speculated on this forum before. :frown:

Who knows, you could be right. But IIRC Disney wanted a KH3 soon after KH2 came out and Nomura was able to decline and put if off. It seems like he has almost complete creative control of the franchise.

Is that true? Too bad Disney, Square, or someone didn't put their foot down a long time ago. Maybe we wouldn't have got a KH3 that was incredibly and unnecessarily affected by bitterness over XV, that feels in many ways as if he was ready to just be done with this saga and its storylines (despite the fact that he was the reason it dragged on and on this long in the first f-ing place), and wouldn't have had to wait for years and years.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
They didn't specifically want KH3, they just wanted more games. This is why the post-credit scene with them finding the letter was added.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Maybe Nomura just needs a damn break for once, also to get a hold of himself about the whole XV-saltmine.

Depending on where the FF 7 remake stands development wise there might simply be not much room to squeeze in new KH stuff beyond the KH III DLC right away.

Ggrzeg

:wink:! Why am I not the least bit surprised that Nomura is not interested in explaining Isa's scar? Hmm. Let me guess. Maybe because he already used that particular backstory, but gave it to Skuld instead to retcon her in? I would bet any money that "Subject X" was supposed to be freakin Isa and not Skuld. This is directly from the Ultimania:
1z3v0og.jpg

"As your flesh bears the sigil, so your name shall be known as that of a Recusant." -Xemnas

Xehanort may have have had his sights on Sora in DDD, but there is only one character in the series who bears the sigil on his flesh. It was HEAVILY implied that Isa and Lea (or at the very least Isa) were experimented on in after they snuck into the castle as teens. It would explain why Isa changed from a nice cute kid into such an...abomination. It would explain why he was branded and has the scar, gold eyes and pointy ears. It would explain why he was whisked away before he even woke up in DDD. And why his eye color was tweaked to be orange instead of yellow. And maybe even why he goes berserk with the moon,
tumblr_o1yb4cBye21qmj8kgo1_500.png

It would explain weird little comments like this from Xigbar. He goes even further in the novels, doing it a second time at a later point in the story. Just to let us know it means something significant. He says, "Don't let us down, kiddo. Shouldn't be too much trouble without a heart." He's mocking him and calling him a kid without a heart. So what the heck does THAT mean? Sounds like Saix has been Norted and he doesn't even know it. Could that have been why Saix had such utter contempt or Xion to a degree that surprised even Roxas and Axel? Because he has some unconscious awareness that they are the same?

When Xion first fights Riku in the Days novel, she says, "He had some kind of power-something that gave her that weird feeling when she fought him. Like a Saix aura. Who was he?" Interesting that she compared Riku with Ansem Seeker of Darkness in him as a "Saix aura".
16bafww.jpg

"Remember the Heartless experiments were mind control experiments, to get it to "renounce its sense of self", according to Xemnas. Which is exactly what the Recusant's Sigil is. The story cues set up make it seem like Saix was one of the very first successful vessels Terranort created from those experiments. Just an interesting visual cue about the two artworks above. In both of them, Saix is right behind Xemnas. And in the first piece, Saix is the only one looking at the "camera". And in the second one, he's the only one looking away from the "camera". It doesn't prove anything, but it is just something that makes Saix seem a bit "off" to me. Out of anyone else in the Organization, he just looks totally brainwashed and mind-controlled.

The idea that he and Lea were doing everything they did in Organization XIII just for some girl they met a few times in the shadows is just...laughable. And I don't buy for a single second that the emotionally dead Saix of all people was acting all for the sake of a girl. Give me a break. That is so out of character it isn't even funny. Saix? The most "Nobody-like" of anyone in the Organization is carrying such strong feelings for some random girl? Please. Even Isa chided Lea for "picking up stray puppies". He seemed like the type of guy that didn't get too attached to people very easily. But he is going to trade away his humanity just to find a random girl he barely knows anything about? What a JOKE. I'm sorry for the rant everyone, but Isa in BBS was one of my favorite characters. There was just something about his and Lea's affectionate sarcasm that I found really charming and endearing, since I am very similar. And I found the evolution of Isa-->Saix very fascinating and wanted to know what exactly happened to him. The handling of Isa's character had to be the single biggest thing to anger me from KH3. Horrible writing and I will not cut Nomura any slack about how awful it was.

Back