• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dengeki: Nomura discusses OST, MOM, Kingdom Hearts going on break

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'm feeling torn on one hand I'm fine with a year break on the other I kind of wish they had just taken this extra year to work on MoM a bit more to let us customize our parties and other simple small things, like multiple skins for characters.

Also surprised that Nomura is still taking a strong no DLC stance, figured things might change once the games been released.

Nomura hopes to deliver good news during the 20th anniversary in 2022
On another note this is the second time I've seen it worded like this. Does that mean there's going to be an announcement on the 20th anniversary or that we can expect a game for that year?

AegisXIII

Awards
I think going on a break is not that surprising. They finished their first main act (although I would argue that the first act was 1, com and 2) and now they are waiting for the next gen to get enough users before releasing their new game. A lot of devs are doing this right now. Either go cross-gen or wait 1-2 years that enough consoles are out there to make it worth the investment.

If you ask my opinion, 2022 will be the next big installment tied with a ps5 optimized compilation with some new features.

GreyouTT

Awards
I'm feeling torn on one hand I'm fine with a year break on the other I kind of wish they had just taken this extra year to work on MoM a bit more to let us customize our parties and other simple small things, like multiple skins for characters.

Also surprised that Nomura is still taking a strong no DLC stance, figured things might change once the games been released.

On another note this is the second time I've seen it worded like this. Does that mean there's going to be an announcement on the 20th anniversary or that we can expect a game for that year?

Announcement for a game that's 1-2 years out is the most likely thing. Less likely and more optimistic thing would be: Nomura had another team besides the MoM and Kh3 teams, and they've been working since 2019. So that's a good three years of development, and I doubt they had to spend a lot of time on the engine; which would mean a game close to finishing.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
The (possible) landscape of SE in 2021:

• Bravely Default II
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake next-gen port with Tifa story
  • TWEWY
  • NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139...
  • New NieR project
  • Probably another FFXIV expansion
  • Surprise Parasite Eve late Q3/early Q4

And we will receive updates on projects like Project Athia (targeting 2022/3), FFXVI (targeting early 2022), Avengers overhaul and move to F2P...

I'm probably wrong, though xD
The Final Fantasy XIV expansion is highly likely, as the name "Forspoken" was trademarked by Square and is likely the name of said expansion, plus following the pattern of XIV expansions happening every two years since Heavensward, with the off years being post-exapnsion story updates and gameplay tweaks.

KeyToDestiny

Awards
I don't mind since I'm very meh towards KH these days. Probably because of RL stuff and other interests. I only really came back to discuss about MoM because I do like rhythm games and I like the KH music. Then got roped into all the story discussion stuff and yeah. Basically, let the teams do their thing and take whatever time needed to make the products good enough for their fans without overworking themselves.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Announcement for a game that's 1-2 years out is the most likely thing. Less likely and more optimistic thing would be: Nomura had another team besides the MoM and Kh3 teams, and they've been working since 2019. So that's a good three years of development, and I doubt they had to spend a lot of time on the engine; which would mean a game close to finishing.

IIRC Nomura did indeed confirm back in January that there was one additional team already working on something new (he mentioned KH3, UX, and 2 other teams, one of which turned out to be working on MoM). But assuming they're going for a AAA next-gen title, I wonder whether 3 years is overly optimistic. Unless they're going for something a little less ambitious and cross-gen for 2022, and saving their big next-gen splash for the Osaka team.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I wouldn't worry about it, because it's not really "going on break" behind the scenes.

Remember the drought that was after KH2 release, with Nomura and KH team being too busy with Versus 13, and no other team available to make proper KH games?! Those were the darkest times. It's different nowadays. We have different KH teams and Nomura is already planning new announcements for 2022.

We may not have a 2021 KH game, but we have been spoiled enough with yearly releases. This year we got KH ReMind DLC, KH Dark Road and KH MoM. Even if you're like me and don't play the last two, we still have to recognize their efforts.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
KH YouTubers are gonna have to get creative. 😂 I kid, I kid... But I think a break would do everyone good. After KH3, MoM, Dark Road and UX... A breather is nice, that way when the next big title drops, we're all refreshed and ready to be excited again. Remember the last time we all felt genuinely excited? Not "I'm cautiously optimistic/hyped with baited breath" excited, but actual scream-into-the-void hyped? I miss that. So I'm cool with a break.

And I mean, UX and DR will keep people fed here and there throughout the year. Not to mention, I'm sure there'll probably be some interview from Nomura within 2021 that'll get people a little excited as per usual. So it's definitely not going to be like how it was post-KH3D where the only thing we had was the Chi Browser story updates. Now that was a drought.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
KH YouTubers are gonna have to get creative. 😂 I kid, I kid... But I think a break would do everyone good. After KH3, MoM, Dark Road and UX... A breather is nice, that way when the next big title drops, we're all refreshed and ready to be excited again. Remember the last time we all felt genuinely excited? Not "I'm cautiously optimistic/hyped with baited breath" excited, but actual scream-into-the-void hyped? I miss that. So I'm cool with a break.

And I mean, UX and DR will keep people fed here and there throughout the year. Not to mention, I'm sure there'll probably be some interview from Nomura within 2021 that'll get people a little excited as per usual. So it's definitely not going to be like how it was post-KH3D where the only thing we had was the Chi Browser story updates. Now that was a drought.
Well the KH Youtubers could always do special challenges with KH3 Pro Codes and MoM related challenges. There is enough to keep them going for 2021. But a break is good for everyone. But yeah, I don't think the droughts will ever reach the post KH3D levels again... hopefully not.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Well the KH Youtubers could always do special challenges with KH3 Pro Codes and MoM related challenges. There is enough to keep them going for 2021. But a break is good for everyone. But yeah, I don't think the droughts will ever reach the post KH3D levels again... hopefully not.

A lot of them tend to do KH3 Pro Code challenges, and with MoM having so many songs to burn through... I like to think Square gave us so much content with that in mind, knowing that it'll be a bit until the next title, so give people something to chew on for a year or so until then. Plus with the two mobile games still going, there's still a lot that can be done. So many of them should be able to get at least a good chunk of the year with content.

Any time people worry about a drought... I point them to the KH3D - KH Unchained X era. Or even KH2.8 if we're talking about a brand new console experience. We gained a lot of fans due to the 1.5 and 2.5 releases, but new story info? Oof. Only other drought that felt probably worse than that was KH2FM - BBS, because of how important and mysterious it was at the time. It's actually kinda funny how people love Days now, cause back in the day, people hated it lmao. Although KH1.5 turning it into a movie is pretty much responsible for why it's so loved now.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I think a lot of them have been branching out into other things anyways xD

GreyouTT

Awards
IIRC Nomura did indeed confirm back in January that there was one additional team already working on something new (he mentioned KH3, UX, and 2 other teams, one of which turned out to be working on MoM). But assuming they're going for a AAA next-gen title, I wonder whether 3 years is overly optimistic. Unless they're going for something a little less ambitious and cross-gen for 2022, and saving their big next-gen splash for the Osaka team.

My guess is the Osaka team split into two groups of different sizes after 3 went gold; one for the DLC and the other for pre-production of the next game. Then after ReMind, they went back into one again and went into full production.

SuperNova

Awards
I'm not worried about the KHTubers they have plenty of material to work with towards their next "_____ IS THE MOM" theories complete with visual glitches and random little details in KH3 that CLEARLY point towards the MOM.

kingofgame981

Awards
I was excited when I read the summary news on Gematsu about the future of the series. And when I came back here for further detail news (like always), I felt sad to hear that KH will go on break. (lol)

But I understand if this must have happened. Here hoping for new wave of joyful news in the next 2 years to everyone.

Back