a female bisexual POC so think before you post
Kingdom Hearts series creator and director Tetsuya Nomura recently spoke with Denegki Online about Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory including stories about its development, the release of the Kingdom Hearts III, II.8, Unchained χ & Union χ [Cross] Original Soundtrack, the lack of PS3 and PS Vita games in the series, and the upcoming break in releases until 2022.
Full translations will be coming soon, but for now you can read the highlights below:
- Nomura didn't want Indieszero to just make a Theatrhythm version of Kingdom Hearts, but something that combined the action of Kingdom Hearts with the music to make the rhythm game
- Nomura didn't want to have to add songs after the release through DLC so he asked that they could fit as many songs in as possible
- Dark Road is not a project that was released with the future of the series in mind, but rather something that the UX team decided they wanted to do
- There were no releases for the PS3 or Vita, but Nomura did have a vague idea about it. He was working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII, though, so nothing was ever really considered. Vita had high specs for a handheld console, so it was believed that it would be better to focus on a stationary console instead
- Developers have been announcing games for the PS5/Xbox Series X, but if Kingdom Hearts were to announce anything, it would be a late comer. Nothing has been announced for Kingdom Hearts on the newest console generation, though
- Nomura asked Yoko Shimomura to compose Kingdom Hearts because of how easy it was to work with her when they were working on Parasite Eve together
- Nomura learned from overseas staff that Shimomura is called "goddess" and he is called "papa" by fans
- The song that left the greatest impact on Nomura has been "Hikari" by Hikaru Utada. When the song was finished, he listened to the song in the recording studio and the impact of the song was so much more greater when the song came through the high tech audio equipment. He still remembers the goosebumps he got when he heard it the first time
- Now that Melody of Memory is out, they will be taking a break from new releases in the series
- Nomura hopes to deliver good news during the 20th anniversary in 2022
Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts III, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory, and all things Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You! Don't forget to read our review about Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory!