• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Dengeki Interviews Tetsuya Nomura!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

E3 has officially closed it's doors today, capping off one of the most amazing conventions of the last few years. Fans of Kingdom Hearts everywhere were thrilled with the announcement of Kingdom Hearts III, and the various tidbits of information that Series Creator Tetsuya Nomura talked about in interviews.

Dengeki had a short interview with Nomura and, while he didn't talk about Kingdom Hearts III or Final Fantasy XV, he mentioned his highlights of E3. It's exciting to get an insight into what he thought were some interesting games! Thanks to Goldpanner, you can read this below!

At E3 2013, Tetsuya Nomura of Square Enix announced two titles for PS4/Xbox One: Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III. The Final Fantasy series needs no introduction and the Kingdom Hearts series is very popular around the globe, so when the titles were announced at the Sony Computer Entertainment Press Conference the cheers that went up were incredibly memorable. During the conference that was broadcast live around the world, the sound inside the hall wasn't broadcast while the clips were playing, so perhaps the kind of reaction that the unveiling of the two titles caused was not conveyed.

Actually, in the hall, when the teaser clip for Kingdom Hearts III was played, as soon as the Disney logo appeared there was first a cheer of happiness. When the title logo followed, the roar of delight that resounded in the hall was perhaps the loudest of the entire day, and it only got louder as the clip continued. Reflecting the high degree of attention received even overseas, Tetsuya Nomura is at E3 finding himself highly sought after for coverage opportunities with foreign media. We asked him which titles piqued his interest at the conferences for both video game companies. Which next generation titles are Tetsuya Nomura keeping an eye on?

---When you watched the conferences for PS4 and XBox One, did any titles catch your attention?
Nomura: I thought TitanfallWatch Dogs and Battlefield 4 looked amazing. Those titles each seemed to have their own strong individuality among all the FPS type games that involve similar modern settings and science fiction etc. 

Watch Dogs has incredibly sharp hacking game play, and Titanfall's robot battles are distinctive. The way things are switched up by getting in and out of robots and the vividly immersive sensation of being inside the robots fighting are quite amazing.

I thought that the graphics in BF3 were beautiful and realistic, and Battlefield 4 is superb as well. And then on top of that I was a little surprised to see that it was possible to have a 64 player battle. Games with stand-out things like that are very interesting to me.

There was also Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom PainMetal Gear always has beautiful graphics, and the expressions were amazing. Being a fellow Japanese creator, I felt very proud.

---Among the next-gen titles, the works by you yourself and Director Hideo Kojima were the only ones from Japan, weren't they?
Nomura: Yes, that's how it turned out. Dead Rising 3 was by the Canadian Capcom, wasn't it. We didn't plan it this way, but it ended up that Director Kojima went out for Microsoft, and I went out for Sony.

Edit: It appears there is another interview with Dengeki, this time they talk about Kingdom Hearts III! Again, thanks to Goldpanner, this can be viewed below.

---You've unveiled the long awaited Kingdom Hearts III.

Nomura: The clip was a teaser through and through, so we didn't give away much information. Things like Sora's outfit and battle gameplay are still to be revealed, so please look forward to that.

---It seems the look of the characters is different from usual...?

Nomura: That would be because of what the developers are referring to as the 'Kingdom Shader', which adds shading to the base image generation of the original 'Kingdom Hearts' that reproduces the brush painting of Disney works in even greater beauty.

---Will the plot follow on from Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance...?

Nomura: Yes, that's right. It will be the last chapter in the Dark Seeker Chronicle that we have been expanding up until now. I am thinking of some ways to make it easier for newcomers to the series to join in.

crash13

Awards
I'm glad he said he was thinking of wars for newcomers to jump in. It will be great to have a new flood of fans.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Nomura said:
Things like Sora's outfit and battle gameplay are still to be revealed, so please look forward to that.

Ahhhhhh!

I guess this means new outfits for everyone?! Riku needs new pants. Please, Nomura!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
"Things like Sora's outfit and battle gameplay are still to be revealed"

EXCUSE YOU NOMURA

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
"the Canadian Capcom" makes me giggle for some reason

also he totally (re?)confirms that Sora will get a new outfit there.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
"The clip was a teaser through and through, so we didn't give away much information. Things like Sora's outfit and battle gameplay are still to be revealed, so please look forward to that."

Sora's getting a new outfit, huh? Interesting. I DO hope that he doesn't get a new outfit IMMEDIATELY in the game because I would like to play as Sora's KH2 form at least for a little bit :/

So he says that the battles system has yet to be really revealed, which kind of makes sense since the gameplay is fake. But I'm still holding on to a tiny sliver of hope that they end up using the Command Deck instead... (I'm sorry, but the Command Deck is SOOO much better than the basic "Attack, Magic, Items" menu from KH1 and KH2, I don't want them to step backwards. It's like going from KH1 having dodgeroll to KH2 not having it. It just feels wrong.)

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Did you read the other interviews Skyfoxx?

Next he's asked about the battle system in the game. He said that the KH1 and KH2 battle systems are "core" battle-systems, so he would like to evolve the KH3 battle system based on that. The battle systems in the "spin-off" titles might be lightly implemented as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Did you read the other interviews Skyfoxx?

Next he's asked about the battle system in the game. He said that the KH1 and KH2 battle systems are "core" battle-systems, so he would like to evolve the KH3 battle system based on that. The battle systems in the "spin-off" titles might be lightly implemented as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yes I have. Shoot, I WATCHED the live interview with him at E3. I recall the statement to be toward gameplay in general. To be honest, that statement could really mean anything. For all we know, it could just mean the return of Reaction Commands, Drive Forms, Limits, and or/party members. Doesn't necessarily mean the same menu.

Suuuuuuuuuure it's more likely that he's talking about the menu......... but I'd rather not think that. I'd reeeeeally rather not think that. Call it denial........... but you know what, plenty of stuff in KH games always change when going from beta to the final product (look at the BBS beta command menu and HUD for example) and this project clearly just started very recently. I wouldn't put it past it that certain things would change even if for now the menu looks like the KH2 menu.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Nomura said:
I am thinking of some ways to make it easier for newcomers to the series to join in.

I guess that may hint on some sort of Revival of the Chronicles/Memoirs system from DDD, with the power of the PS4 possibly in even more detail.

Nomura also confirms that, just like with the very first DDD trailer, this is just a concept teaser at the core.

Props for goldpanner for delivering us more Nomura-info. ^__^

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Thanks for the translation, guys! Really glad to hear that Sora's getting a new outfit. Hopefully more characters get new outfits (yes, Lea and Kairi, talking about you).

WastedPenguin

Awards
I'm waiting for TGS :). I hope that they can show something of the battlesystem and Soras new outfit there.
But it would also be great if Nomura would tell us a bit from the story of Kingdom Hearts 3.
btw. Imagine the special effects that Kingdom Hearts 3 will have :D.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Hmmm... Good to know Sora will be getting a new outfit (though I never really doubted it). I still hope the others will too, though. Especially Xion. I mean, we've only ever seen her in the Organization cloak (and her armor), and seeing as how our heroes will be fighting the new Organization like never before in this title...

Y'know, I wonder what color outfit Sora will have this time. I'd love to see him in blue, but I see that staying a Aqua (and maybe even Xion or Naminé or someone's) color. Seeing as how Sora's favorite color's apparently red, I could see them going with that again. But maybe it could be a bit different this time? Like, maybe a bit orangey or closer to maroon? IDK. Personally, though, I think I'm voting for him to wear white for some reason. Maybe because he's a Light? IDK.

And speaking of Nami, I really hope she also gets a new outfit. I still have nightmares about what would happen if an enemy ripped that thin material, or she got water spilled on her. LOL. And as for Kairi... just give her a color other than pink, I beg you. I preferred her tomboy side in KHI, after all. And honestly... I think her character would have gone over better with people in II, if she'd been wearing red or something

@Sephiroth I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Memoir system returned. But who knows? Maybe it'll be even more expansive this time. Didn't Nomura once say the one in DDD was originally supposed to explain the story in videos (or maybe in a slideshow type way)? If I remember correctly, that idea was scrapped due to time and cartridge restraints. With the power of the PS4, though, I could easily see them remedying that.

Nova

I'm glad he said he was thinking of wars for newcomers to jump in. It will be great to have a new flood of fans.

Same! Even though I do plan to play all the other games in due course before KH3 is released xp

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

so, riku isnt traveling with sora, donald, and goofy? kinda wished those four would be traveling together during kh3. oh well. the plot sounds interesting, sora finding guardians of light while riku searches for previous keyblade wielders. i wonder if those keyblade wielders riku is searching for are guardians of light, or allies to help in the final battle at the keyblade graveyard?

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Though I was totally fine with the thought that Sora would retain his KH2 look, the thought of a brand new KH3 look is very exciting. Can't wait to see it... even though I'll have to wait like 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back