• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Defining a "Hardcore Gamer"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

文偉立

newb programmer
Let's look into this term with as many technicalities as possible, shall we?

A "hardcore gamer" is a person who has much trivial knowledge of video games. Wait a minute--there are people who know quite plenty of trivia from video games and they do not play games on a regular basis. Let's define it again.

A hardcore gamer is a person who owns many games. But a gamer can own many games and not neccessarily be any more of a wiz at gaming than you or I. He may or may not even particularly enjoy most his games.

A hardcore gamer is a person who has played games for years on and acknowledged of retro-modern video gaming. But we have people who play these nastalgic games through emulators and roms. Only those who were around during the game/console debut are only accounted? I'm sure we have members who were mere children during the Atari 2600 yet they know of many games from this console.

A hardcore gamer must require the ability to distinguish good games from bad? Aren't they mere opinions, as in Kameo for Xbox360?

A hardcore gamer can be able to read/write/empathize to gaming magazines, tabloids, advertising and spoofs. Not entirely.

Let me examine this through example.

Rob Galbreath (10/14/05) said:
Let's get everything out in the open: I am what is known as a hardcore gamer. There is no set definition as to what a hardcore gamer is, or how you become one, but I own over 300 games (according to IGN's gaming calculator, that's an estimated value of $6,700) and have rented at least four times the number of games I own. I obsess about games, I quote and memorize lines from games, I have researched the political and social commentaries behind games, I import soundtracks and have studied the trends of the overall gaming market back to the original Magnavox Odyssey (yes, gaming existed before the several models of Atari). It would be very difficult to classify me as a casual gamer.

So this man is a model "gamer"? Is it really so that he's a hardcore gamer or a person claiming bragging rights?

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I really don't think it's really possible to describe what a hardcore gamer is. No matter what one says, someone else will always put that person down and say that they are not. A lot of people say they are, so shouldn't that be enough?

文偉立

newb programmer
Let's not forget the most relevant point. No gamer can possibly enjoy all genres. An RPG-lover does not have to enjoy first person shooters. A sports fan may stuggle enjoying a puzzler. If a hardcore gamer must play these games just for knowledgeable reference, should he just buy games not to his liking?

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
That is a very good point you have there. It all depends on the person. Every one has their own opinions, different views, correct? What one person considers hardcore, another may not.

P

PIG.

1. You have to like videogames
2. You have to beat a FF game or you won't go to heaven.

Thats all I can think of...

文偉立

newb programmer
PIG. said:
1. You have to like videogames
2. You have to beat a FF game or you won't go to heaven.

Thats all I can think of...

So I'm a hardcore gamer? I don't even think I'm actually categorized as a hardcore gamer. I just play games for activity.

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
I would define people that have spent 100 hours+ in a week on games, that would be a hard core... causals woule be around 10-20, and then the gap would be moderate gamers, not to much not to little....

文偉立

newb programmer
pwn3d to the max said:
I would define people that have spent 100 hours+ in a week on games, that would be a hard core... causals woule be around 10-20, and then the gap would be moderate gamers, not to much not to little....

So if I play for a hundred hours this week, I'm hardcore? I once spent thirteen to fourteen hours everyday on video games a week. A consistent basis is not even possible.

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
アクラ said:
So if I play for a hundred hours this week, I'm hardcore? I once spent thirteen to fourteen hours everyday on video games a week. A consistent basis is not even possible.

yes, your quite hard core, if you figure out school and work i would do the same, but i have to go to those thing to fuel this passion.

文偉立

newb programmer
pwn3d to the max said:
yes, your quite hard core, if you figure out school and work i would do the same, but i have to go to those thing to fuel this passion.

I was given a vacation. I laxed off schoolwork during my two months off to enjoy myself and out of the two months, I gathered two whole weeks to play some games but I stopped after I was assigned a summer project. Therefore, my priorities are moreso important than my video gaming. How am I still "hardcore"? It was a once in a life time experience, only playing a few games.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
If thsoe are the requirements, I'm not hardcore. Then again, I never really considered myself to be one in the first place.

S

Shadow Soldier

Girls dont care if guys play games, they only care if he pwns... so being a hardcore gamer is good =)

文偉立

newb programmer
I didn't imply the benefits of hardcore gaming. The title of a harcore gamer is nigh-impossible, if certain standards must be kept to be categorized as hardcore.

This woman, who I detest after reading her retarded take on parenting, stated something that may apply to the hardcore gamer.

Roxanne Richardson said:
I'd rather my son take a more proactive, less habitual drug like cocaine than to lock himself away and play videogames. It's so lazy. At least with pills and coke, you're out and doing something."

^Recieved from EGM issue 202

From this woman alone, video games are symbolized as an addiction. If not drawn in by the casual crowd, there are the hardcore. So with that said, a hardcore gamer is similar to a drug addict? Are all hardcore gamers mentally unstable? Should there be rehab facilities for videogame lovers?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
アクラ said:
From this woman alone, video games are symbolized as an addiction. If not drawn in by the casual crowd, there are the hardcore. So with that said, a hardcore gamer is similar to a drug addict? Are all hardcore gamers mentally unstable? Should there be rehab facilities for videogame lovers?

Let's not forget that the woman is a stupid bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back