• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Defending Sonic Adventure 2's Treasure Hunting

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
SA2, as with all Sonic games, is all about the replay value. The treasure levels shine when the player knows them well enough to speedrun them. The problem is that the 1st time playing the levels is rough and 1st impressions are everything. Overall the levels are too big for their own good.

Also nerfing the radar from how it worked in SA1 (being able to detect multiple shards at once) made no sense.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
SA2, as with all Sonic games, is all about the replay value. The treasure levels shine when the player knows them well enough to speedrun them. The problem is that the 1st time playing the levels is rough and 1st impressions are everything. Overall the levels are too big for their own good.

Also nerfing the radar from how it worked in SA1 (being able to detect multiple shards at once) made no sense.

IDK. Most Sonic levels are a bit rough on the first playthrough. With levels like Labyrinth Zone, Metropolis Zone and even Modern levels such as Eggmanland or even Jungle Joyride. The point is SA2 isn't the first Sonic game (or any game for that matter) to rely on replay value.

And honestly most of the levels imo are a good size with the exception of Mad Space. And once you learn the level you'll eventually realize that the level design actually aids the player instead of hinders them.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
SA2 had the missions and rankings, of course it was designed around replays. Individual bad levels =\= an entire style of gameplay being flawed. Every video game has it low points, should that excuse the outright awful games?

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
SA2 had the missions and rankings, of course it was designed around replays. Individual bad levels =\= an entire style of gameplay being flawed. Every video game has it low points, should that excuse the outright awful games?
True every game has its low points. But I guess I see it a bit differently than you.

From what I'm reading you saw the whole treasure hunting levels as an entire style of gameplay being flawed where as I just see certain levels in that genre as bad. I see the Speed Levels in the same way. I mean I hate Crazy Gadget and Final Chase but that doesn't mean I hate all Speed levels in general or that it was a flawed gameplay style in general. It's one with pros and cons.
So I hold the Mech shooting levels & Treasure Hunting levels to the same standard. I only hate Mad Space, Weapon's Bed, and Eternal Engine. However, that does not mean that I hate those genres of plays or that they were flawed from the get go.

Veevee

Awards
Well, I think this points into the direction of a general problem with Sonic games: You need to replay every stage several times to be good at them or to collect everything. While this is not bad by default, some Sonic Games (e.g. Sonic Forces) take this way too far. For example, Sonic Forces wants you to first finish the level regularly, then collect all the red rings, then all the silver rings and finally all the moon rings which requires you to beat the level at least 4 times, usually plus one or two times because you often HAVE TO miss one ring for another because it's on a completely different route and plus a few other times if you try to find them without using a guide. Some of the levels even require a certain kind of luck, for example the level where you are thrown into a giant, hardly controllable waterslide, so you kinda keep doing these over and over after you took a few turns figured out where to slow down and where to go fast which is too much. This might be fun for speedrunners and perfectionists, but not for regular collectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back