• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Deeper Meaning to the Poems at the End of Re:CoM?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

appleboy82791

Awards
So I've been replaying all the KH games a lot and came across the poems at the end of Re:CoM...
Sora's playthrough:
There is always sleep between part and meet
with our usual words on the usual street

So let us part like we always do...
and in a world without you
I'll dream of you

When I come to, let us meet

Riku's playthrough:
Beyond the path without you
is a forgotten promise to keep.

We may have walked side by side,
but now we go on back to back.

And though our paths may not cross,
all paths are connected somewhere.

When I arrive at where you are,
we may not appear to be as we were...

But we'll make another promise to keep.

So I never gave these poems much thought before but now I feel like there is almost definitely some deeper meaning to them. I think they probably foreshadow future events in the KH series. From which character's perspective are these poems? What are they refering to in these poems? What do you guys think?

My initial thoughts for the first one is that the "usual street" has something to do with traverse town. I really can't decide who the poem is supposed to be talking about. Sora and Namine? Roxas and Namine? Roxas and Xion? Roxas and Hayner, Pence and Olette? Maybe even Axel and Roxas?

For the second one, I feel like the "forgotten promise to keep" is a reference to Sora's promise to Namine towards the end of Re:CoM. However, the rest of the poem doesn't feel like it's between Sora and Namine at all. Also during this poem we get a scene of Roxas with the twilight town crew so I kinda feel like it has to have something to do with Roxas. What's even more mysterious is the last line. What is "another promise to keep"? Could we have seen that already or might this be something we'll see in KH3? Just a thought.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
*amateur literary analysis powers activate*
If there's one thing that school's beaten into my head, it's that every text can have like a dozen deeper meanings... and poetry brings it up to eleven.

There is always sleep between part and meet
I get the feeling that putting "usual" in there was very deliberate. Poems don't just repeat specific words or phrases without some kind of purpose behind it. This word would probably bring the image of Twilight Town to any well-versed KH nerd's mind; specifically, the "usual place," the small hangout for a group of friends; a place that you routinely return to. Which makes me think of RAX's "usual place" at the clocktower.

So let us part like we always do...
and in a world without you
I'll dream of you

Aaand this would be when my English teachers would bring up the theme of death. Although I do recall seeing quite a few characters "dream" about someone who's about as long-term gone as you can get in KH.

When I come to, let us meet

This line could easily be referring to Sora and Namine, even though those "usual words" aren't real. I get the feeling that this better fits Roxas meeting up with Lea and Xion eventually, or even just the kids from Twilight Town. That's the fun thing, poems really don't have to decide on a single meaning, so neither do you.

I'll leave the second one for someone else to pick at because I feel kinda lazy.

I doubt that these poems were foreshadowing any plot points as far along as KH3. I know that the whole plot was pretty much made up as they went along and sometimes had to conform to circumstances beyond SE's control (like the demand for a KH game on the GBA and DS that resulted in CoM and Days, respectively), so it's not very likely that these poems, created not long after KHII, would have been able to directly and purposefully allude to anything specific beyond KHII.

Ultima Spark

I immediately thought of Roxas as well with the second poem, with my interpretation being that it was foreshadowing (or the closest equivalent) his role in KH2 (promises being the main theme of that game, his boss song being called "The Other Promise" [which I believe refers to Axel in the game's context], etc.)

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Ooh, I love the poems at the end of Chain of Memories! Well, I think I said this in other thread, but the poem in Riku`s side:
Beyond the path without you
is a forgotten promise to keep.

We may have walked side by side,
but now we go on back to back.

And though our paths may not cross,
all paths are connected somewhere.

But we'll make another promise to keep.

Could be taken as a foreshadowing of Rikus journey in the future, and his struggles with the darkness. Especially the part:
Could be seen to tell about how Riku`s appearance changed to the Ansem SoD, but he still Riku and etc... Hmm, I wanna take a closer look at these when later today. This is really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back