• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

DDD bodies yes or no

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

bigbobcatboy

I'll start by saying not to worry about spoiling as I've played all the games.

So I've been replaying KH lately and just finished replaying DDD. This time being my 3rd run of this particular game now, and I still wasn't able to grasp a lot of the details. Thankfully though, some threads that were already here were able to point out events and how the game illustrated them. That helped me to fill in some gaps in my understanding, like that whole inception sequence in The World That Never Was. There are still things surrounding this topic that I could not figure out though, so here we go.

The idea at the start game is that Sora and Riku entered the sleeping realm by time traveling to Destiny Islands just before they would begin to sleep after falling to darkness. Whole thing about a world going to the realm of darkness, realm of slumber, and also having existing fragments in "The end of the world" in KH has me confused too, but moving on.
A scene in TWTNW shows Braig telling Sora something like: "You were able to go back in time because a version of yourself already existed there."
Pretty heavily implying that Sora and Riku time traveled the way Xehenort has been, which would mean they left their bodies behind in their time and are just hearts right?
This is where I can't seem to find a good answer.

The way I see it there are two possibilities: for the majority of the game they were actually just hearts, or they hijacked the bodies of their past selves and were using those.
So if they're just hearts them seemingly having bodies could be a result of the sleeping realm. Considering the events of Traverse Town it's not too much of a stretch.

Riku appearing in physical form in the real version of TWTNW toward the end could also be explained by him still being a dream eater. Since spirits(correct me if wrong) seem to be able to materialize in KHUx in the....I don't know, not sleeping realm. As well as what seems to be Sora and Riku's first spirits appearing to lead Riku to Sora.

HOWEVER, what I don't think can make sense about this is how, outside the sleeping realm in the organization throne room, Sora appeared to have a body.
Also doesn't make sense when he's first entering TWTNW, since he's supposedly in the real world. Though then again maybe not, as the part where Braig is telling him: "how come you're wearing the same clothes if you're already back home" might also mean he isn't even in the real world yet at that point. In that case I don't understand that part entirely either, but back on topic.
So what about if they snatched up their past bodies?

This one does not go over nearly as well. They would have been using those bodies all the way up until after the final throne room scene. That would mean that Sora would have never went to Traverse Town in KH and both of their bodies would've ended up in the present by the end.
Since Donald, Goofy, and Axel all showed up in the throne room, that's real likely to be present day, though technically not guaranteed I guess.

So if they were using their past bodies most of KH as a whole wouldn't have happened the same way. Unless after they go back into their present bodies their old ones just warp back to a nice spot in the past, and not in the middle of the ocean where they were before they entered the sleeping realm, but I don't believe anyone said a thing about all that.
In fact, no one mentioned a thing about them using or not using bodies, or why they're in their younger forms again, and trying to figure it out from what I saw got me here.

EDIT: Forgot to include something.
The Xehenorts in the throne room scene. I'm not sure what to think of the hooded ones considering brown coat heart Ansem.
But Ansem, Young Xehenort, Master Xehenort, Saix, and Xemnas from what I remember very much seemed to have bodies as well. I can't remember if they had already gotten the replicas at the point but, after they "run out of time"(big ??? btw) they ALL vanish in the exact same way, none of them teleport out with dark corridors or anything. So were none of them in bodies?
Saix at the very least wouldn't have needed to time travel to be there.
So at the time of that scene it feels like you're supposed to know that some had time traveled and may or may not have been just hearts, some had not, and that they had "run out of time" and were leaving, but they all leave the same way.

Ideally what I'm looking for here is some kind of explanation that is supported by things that happened in a game somewhere in the KH series. Or I guess an interview or something from an orchestra? Since apparently they put lore in their orchestra(s) somewhere, I don't know much about those. I won't mind theories though.
Anyway please let me know if you can shed some light on this situation, or if this thread is basically just me discovering that it don't make sense.

Last edited:

KUUXIII

Awards
From what i know:Square Enix has a chance for messing up models for which outfit is supposed to be used in which world and also about your question which is​
Also doesn't make sense when he's first entering TWTNW, since he's supposedly in the real world. Though then again maybe not, as the part where Braig is telling him: "how come you're wearing the same clothes if you're already back home" might also mean he isn't even in the real world yet at that point. In that case I don't understand that part entirely either, but back on topic.
So what about if they snatched up their past bodies?​
In the tron world when you are playing as Sora,it was hinted that he was NOT in the dream world​
That's all i know though​

EternalDream

It's identical to what Sora does in Re:Mind:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

It's honestly surprisingly consistent despite all the crazy stuff you have to work through to understand it all.

KUUXIII

Awards
It's identical to what Sora does in Re:Mind:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

(note how Xehanort sees a faint light around Sora in Scala in remind - there seems to be a visual tell someone's a time travelling heart)
Got me,you're sharp
Yeah i remember that clearly now that you mention it,its most likely true
since that's a sign that the heart is no longer inside one's body

bigbobcatboy

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

BTW, thanks again for answering my last post about memories, KH is giving me a lot of questions now that I'm actually trying to understand what's happening.

In the tron world when you are playing as Sora,it was hinted that he was NOT in the dream worldThat's all i know though

I found that part strange too, considering in the journal it actually says he unlocked a sleeping keyhole in the grid.

EternalDream

Also, should I have spoiler tagged my OP or is that just for re:mind stuff? I'm kind of new.

That was just for the Re:Mind parts since they're not related to the DDD content you already put up a spoiler warning for in the title. I think you're fine.

Why Riku/Sora arrive at some time after they first traveled to the past, its likely because their bodies weren't lost entirely to start the Mark of Mastery exam (else we'd have a Riku Nobody running around). I blame Yen Sid magic shenanigans for this one, and I think YX even alludes to this in DDD ("unlike a certain wizard you know", tho that might also apply to Merlin's door in KH2).

Like, let's not forget Yen Sid is somehow able to keep tabs on what Sora and Riku are doing in the Sleeping Realm. God knows how he's doing that.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

The World That Never Was is one of those bizarre places where the rules barely apply that you can access from just about any realm, including the Sleeping Realm, so that was the actual Donald/Goofy/Mickey/Lea interacting with time-traveling Sora/Riku.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

There are ways to circumvent the forced return to your own time. Replicas are the notable one used in KH3, but for Ansem as you said, perhaps the brown cloak acted as a 'vessel' to anchor him to that time, unable to continue time-traveling until he lost his body for real again (at the end of KH1).

Additionally, in Union Cross:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

bigbobcatboy

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Why Riku/Sora arrive at some time after they first traveled to the past, its likely because their bodies weren't lost entirely to start the Mark of Mastery exam (else we'd have a Riku Nobody running around). I blame Yen Sid magic shenanigans for this one, and I think YX even alludes to this in DDD ("unlike a certain wizard you know", tho that might also apply to Merlin's door in KH2).
I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean here. I got that their bodies weren't lost lost, like they could just slip back in when they got back. But why is it that they'd return at a later time because of that?

The World That Never Was is one of those bizarre places where the rules barely apply that you can access from just about any realm, including the Sleeping Realm, so that was the actual Donald/Goofy/Mickey/Lea interacting with time-traveling Sora/Riku.
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: What a place.

EternalDream

I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean here. I got that their bodies weren't lost lost, like they could just slip back in when they got back. But why is it that they'd return at a later time because of that?

Thinking about it some more, it actually doesn't make any sense after all.

Master Xehanort needs a 13th vessel for his heart at the end of DDD. What does he do? Send a piece of his heart flying towards comatose DDD Sora. In other words, that HAS to be Sora's actual body lying there, because how else would it be a vessel he could take control of?

If their hearts really were out of their bodies busy time-traveling, why didn't Xehanort just stop by Mysterious Tower and take Sora/Riku's lifeless bodies there? (Granted maaaaybe he didn't think he could overpower Yen Sid or something)

I'm starting to think YX's words about "unlike a certain wizard you know, I have to play by the rules" truly does refer to Yen Sid, and not some backhanded comment about KH2's Timeless River/Merlin. I can't think of any other way Sora and Riku travel to the past on Destiny Islands into their KH1 bodies and then still end up with their real post-KH2 bodies (albeit de-aged with new clothes thanks to Yen Sid) in the Sleeping Realms.

So the very game that introduced time travel rules doesn't even play by them itself, typical stuff. It works out fine for the Org, KH3 and Re:Mind, so at least he sticks by them more often than not, but yeah, no excusing the start of DDD without Yen Sid being a cheater.

Last edited:

bigbobcatboy

Master Xehanort needs a 13th vessel for his heart at the end of DDD. What does he do? Send a piece of his heart flying towards comatose DDD Sora. In other words, that HAS to be Sora's actual body lying there, because how else would it be a vessel he could take control of?
The only possible explanation I can think of is that he could've done some kind of Terranort situation, where he was possessing his heart and then, I guess, riding it back to Sora's actual body and then running away(he'd still end up at the tower though).
Spoiler Spoiler Show

As for the raiding the tower, I'm not sure if Xehanort himself could do it since he wasn't re-completed until the end(at least this was the impression I got, but he faded away like he time traveled there as well so IDK.) but, he could probably at least send the nobodies he had already recruited or something. Whether or not team Yen Sid vs. some of team Xehanort would be a viable choice would likely just depend on how they wanted to write it I think.

Thing I can't explain is why Sora would have even a heart manifested body when he's in his darkness coma.
At this point I'm honestly not sure if Nomura put this much thought in when writing this, I hope so but, if he did it was not illustrated well.
I found an interview a bit after I made this thread, and it seems like a couple things really do just come down to Yen Sid's magic, but they never actually go into EXACTLY what he did with his magic.
Aside from it changing Sora and Riku's clothes there isn't anything I can definitively say he did with it. They don't really suggest anything that I can remember in the game, and in the interview they might be saying he's the reason they even have bodies from what I remember, but I couldn't really tell.
Then there's that remark YX made that you mentioned, making it seem like he potentially had something to do with the way they time traveled, which would be kind of important.

How TWTNW functions would be kind of important too, that was mentioned in the interview as well, in a vague way.

Game got me puzzled, and now I'm out of games to replay and hope for information from, except union I guess.

Last edited:
Back