• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

DC Nation | SHAZAM! - April 2019

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Re: DC Nation - Ben Affleck not directing Batman film

Eh, I'm not totally sold on it yet (Aquaman looks like he's having a good time, though). DC has yet to make a great movie in this universe, and establishing all of these characters now seems like a bit of a rush-job. Marvel already had separate Hulk, Thor, and Captain America movies out, as well as a mini Iron Man universe already established, so they really only had Black Widow to introduce and Hawkeye to flesh out by the time Avengers came out.

I hate to make the "oh, Marvel is doing better than DC" argument, but it's kind of true. If you look at how critically successful each franchise is, along with how both companies have approached their cinematic universes to date, you'll notice discrepancies. I appreciate DC for going a different route with their superhero movies and somewhat trying to make them unique, but it just doesn't work right. Marvel has made sure with each new major installment, with few exceptions, to properly introduce each character for the big movie, with varying success. A big exception is Guardians of the Galaxy, which isn't meant to set up anything except Infinity War.

Now, don't get me wrong; DC's movies are great in theory. A death of Superman movie is the dream of many a superhero fan, even me. A suicide squad movie is an interesting way to try to do the Guardians of the Galaxy formula. A grittier, more realistic superman with moral qualms and ambiguities is something I don't think any comic book fan would try and say is a bad idea after being used to the boy scout never-do-wrong Superman we've seen thousands of times. Justice League might be good; who doesn't want a Justice League movie at some point?! The problem is that a lot of these movies don't properly set things up, don't have great or even good writing, and aren't preceded by anything leading up to it. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was a good way to introduce Wonder Woman, but was introduced at exactly the wrong time. Batman v Superman is not a precedent, it's not a movie that's led with; that's a movie made when we already have Superman set as a character, see him pushed to a limit that we've never seen him pushed to, and has already had many films to have his adventures established. Imagine if they made Civil War right after the original Iron Man, and Captain America was thawed out of ice and just fought him because he didn't like his technology or something (and then they both had mothers with the same name). Wouldn't that be odd?

And the weird part is that DC seems to be less profitable because of this. People are still regarding Man of Steel as their best DC cinematic universe film so far, and if THAT version of Superman is the highlight of your films, then ya done shat your pants.

DC seems to be going more and more into the Guardians of the Galaxy direction, packing movies with tons of characters who weren't established previously in order to attract comic book fans. Guardians was lightning in a bottle, however; there's no reason that story should have worked without the writing and acting it had. Suicide Squad suffered because it had terrible actors and tried to front load characters by giving them quirky personalities or occasionally putting a good song in the background. Tell me; out of Killer croc, captain boomerang, harley quinn, katana, deadshot, el diablo, enchantress & her brother, joker, and slipknot, why didn't some of these characters stand out to fans, and why did some? It's because of the acting. Will Smith, as much as he isn't a bad guy, is likable as hell, so he pulls off Deadshot since people want him to succeed and see his daughter again. Harley Quinn works since people think she's hot Margot Robbie is a charismatic actor. And that's what DC is really missing; charisma.

If Jason Momoa and whoever is playing Barry Allen actually pull it off, we might actually get that sense of fun DC's been faking since Batman v Superman. And, hey, Justice league does have Superman and Wonder Woman movies prefacing it, so maybe they're actually learning a thing or two.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

I'm staying far away from the JL trailers now so that way I can go in as blind as possible, and also because I'm skeptical but optimistic. While I had qualms with BvS (aka the entire Supes side why the fuck do you gotta ruin Clark, Sny), I'm optimistic since I'm hoping good ol Geoff intervened a bit. We already knew the director of WW asked for his input many times on WW and that movie looks potentially amazeballs.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

I got to see an early screening of Wonder Woman tonight. It's pretty damn awesome and by far the best DCEU film to date. In fact, I'd say it's probably the best DC film since The Dark Knight in 2008. It's pretty comparable to Batman Begins in quality, imo.

Patty Jenkins brought her A-Game with the directing of this film.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

I'm just gonna leave this here

[video=youtube;EL-VHe_4GmE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE&ab_channel=DCKids[/video]
THAT WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!

And I had no idea that these shorts existed until now. ;-;

Relix

A traveler
Awards

Loved every last bit of that

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

DO5H-60UEAAGU_5.jpg

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

I feel weird for not hating it, wasnt bad
it wasnt great but if am not too nitpicky its not a bad story, lame villain for sure, a prelude for obvious things but I had a good time

so is this the end of their phase 1

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

I dunno that action seen fleeing steppenwolf was more fun then the beach vs the germans

Just when you want to write DC off they bring out kyrptonite

[video=youtube;QF031DwMffQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=QF031DwMffQ[/video]

titans_robin-first-look-final.jpg

A peak from DC upcoming Titans

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

So basically, a watered down Avengers imitation that doesn't even try to hide the fact that it's merely a stepping stone for more movies.

Good thing I still got the Justice League animated series.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

https://twitter.com/DCUTitans/status/1019945074161942528

FUCK BATMAN

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
First trailer for the Big Red Cheese!

[video=youtube;go6GEIrcvFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6GEIrcvFY[/video]

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I watched the trailer for this earlier, and I LOVE. IT. This thing and Glass are going to be HUGE superhero movies coming up, and I'm so excited to see what they do!

I can't believe that Batman v Superman was a movie only several years ago and the Shazam movie already looks leaps and bounds better than it.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
to the people that are going to see teen tians go stay for the credits there a hint that og teen titans might be coming back

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
Titans has been excellent to bad nightwing is doing piss poor in the comics now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back