• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

DC Nation | SHAZAM! - April 2019

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Re: DC Nation

Man I remember those shows. I'm so happy with the dvd box I found several months ago that had several assorted animated Batman... things. I watched all of those shows every time they were on.
Except Superman, but that was simply because we didn't get it. :/ I would've watched the shit out of that one too.

I've never watched Burton's Batman movies.

What.

The

Shit?

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

I don't know if you've been around long enough to know this but every time someone says this my eyes roll so hard into the back of my head.

Yeah, I've seen your personal tumblr. To be quite honest, I haven't really given him a chance. I might watch a couple of episodes and go from there.

Man I remember those shows. I'm so happy with the dvd box I found several months ago that had several assorted animated Batman... things. I watched all of those shows every time they were on.
Except Superman, but that was simply because we didn't get it. :/ I would've watched the shit out of that one too.

What.

The

Shit?

This is actually I was going to ask. Are they worth watching? I have only been into comics for a couple of months now which explains why I've never seen them as a child. I was going to watch them at one point, but disliked that they butchered Batman's origins. (Joker killed Batman's parents? Yeah no. )

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

Listen man, take a look at my avatar and then ask yourself if you think asking me whether they are worth it was a good idea. ;)

Serious answer: yes. They're a bit camp, but not obnoxiously so. That origin change wasn't really all that bad either. It's not worth letting it ruin the rest of the movie for. The identity of the killer was changed, but the origin still stayed the same.

Now the shumacher films, stay the hell away from those. Except when you like to laugh at bad things.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

I always liked the Superman cartoon. It was a little more kid-friendly than Batman: The Animated Series, but I enjoyed it. The thing was, however, with Batman: The Animated Series, virtually every episode was enjoyable and Superman: The Animated Series had a few episodes that weren't very good. But Lobo was awesome. The Main Man! I love nostalgia.

However, I could never enjoy Justice League as much as either of those. The first episodes were good, but Unlimited seemed like it was just for profit and the quality felt like a dip.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar

I always liked the Superman cartoon. It was a little more kid-friendly than Batman: The Animated Series, but I enjoyed it. The thing was, however, with Batman: The Animated Series, virtually every episode was enjoyable and Superman: The Animated Series had a few episodes that weren't very good. But Lobo was awesome. The Main Man! I love nostalgia.

However, I could never enjoy Justice League as much as either of those. The first episodes were good, but Unlimited seemed like it was just for profit and the quality felt like a dip.

I liked Unlimited because compared to the original, it seemed like the creators got better at animating. The actions sequences flowed better, and they fixed the annoying age lines they initially put on Superman's face that shouldn't have been there. Plus, it was nice to have the focus shifted to some of the lesser known heroes now and then.

Plus, it gave us more Flash.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards

You didn't like the Cadmus arc? Divided We Fall? What about the "World of Cardboard" speech" C'mon!

Oh and I suppose we can talk about Smallville (yuck) in this thread too since I'm going to post these videos since the show's not going to debut for a while.

[video=youtube;ViFb0paKdgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ViFb0paKdgg[/video]

[video=youtube;VpFobB8EpKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFobB8EpKQ&list=PL73E62166CAAEEC7F&index=0&feature=plcp[/video]

A new series from the CW based on Green Arrow. Let's hope it's good.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards

Nope. It had a few great things (Lex, Lionel, Lois, Chloe, Jonathan Kent) but that's about it. The general storyline is a bit of a bastardisation. Impulse is active before Clark puts the tights on and Superman is meant to be the first ever superhero in the DCU.

If he had become Superman well before they started introducing this stuff, it may have been slightly better.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

So I just finished watching Batman (The 1989 film).

I was not impressed at all. The plot was almost non-existent. There's something I've noticed about '80's films. They seem to jump right into the thick of things without any sort of build up or narrative. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. In Batman's case, it was bad.

The choice of cast is also pretty poor. Vicky Vale as Bruce's love interest? What?...Commissioner Gordon also did shit in this movie.

Didn't like Nicholson as the Joker either. He starts off as a crime lacky and then suddenly goes bonkers. I mean it makes sense for the real Joker, because he went through actual hell. But Nicholson? Herp derp. Gets betrayed by his crime boss. I did however like The Killing Joke chemical reference.

And why the kupo was Batman's origin changed? It was completely unnecessary and wasn't explained at all.

I also HATED the ending. There's no way in HELL that Batman would kill Joker or allow him to die. There's just no way. It's not the Batman way. So why did Keaton Batman do it? I give props to Keaton though. He played an "eccentric" playboy millionaire pretty damn well.

As much as I dislike the movie though, I have to give it props. It pretty much provided the inspiration that was needed to create Batman: The Animated Series. Seriously, the main themes are almost identical. The Animated series Batcave is also a carbon copy of the film's Batcave, as is the Batmobile.

Last edited:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

Didn't like Nicholson as the Joker either. He starts off as a crime lacky and then suddenly goes bonkers. I mean it makes sense for the real Joker, because he went through actual hell. But Nicholson? Herp derp. Gets betrayed by his crime boss. I did however like The Killing Joke chemical reference.

Giving the Joker an origin in general is a bad idea, IMO. By showing him before he became the Joker, you start to sympathize with him when you're not supposed to understand him at all.

I also HATED the ending. There's no way in HELL that Batman would kill Joker or allow him to die. There's just no way. It's not the Batman why.

Batman Begins wasn't very different in that aspect because Batman willingly let Ra's die in a much more explicit way ("i won't kill you, but i don't have to save you"). I loved Begins but that was one aspect that just doesn't sit well with me.

i used to love the 1989 movie but I don't really care that much for it anymore. Burton doesn't really understand Batman very well, and Batman Returns (which is a worse movie) just shows that even more.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

Go read "The Killing Joke". It's a fantasic, yet horrificially brutal, story where Joker recounts how he got his start. However, it's alluded that the book isn't necessarily his origin story.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards

Alluded to? He outright says he's an unreliable narrator. So the Killing Joke may be his origin but in actuality it probably isn't.

Even Alan Moore seems to have understood that a character like the Joker shouldn't have a definite origin. He's better left a mystery.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

Derp.

I knew it wasn't just coincidence that both the 1989 Batman theme and the Animated Series were so similar. Danny Elfman composed both. Just downloaded both :D.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

shirley walker worked with the elfman theme initially and then went on to a compose a theme with a similar style

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

I guess the Teen Titans shorts have been popular enough to warrant an actual series.

I dunno how to feel about this honestly. I loved the original series but that was before I gave an actual fuck about comics. I hope it's not 100% comedy. The original series had more darker and serious episodes that I liked. I wonder if we'll finally know what happened to Terra.

It'll be cool to see Beast Boy again, and even more interesting to see Starfire considering her personality is the complete opposite of what her comics incarnation is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back