• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Comics ► DC Entertainment presents 'Before Watchmen'!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
DC Universe: The Source » Blog Archive » DC ENTERTAINMENT OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCES

This summer, DC Entertainment will publish all-new stories expanding on the acclaimed WATCHMEN universe. As highly anticipated as they are controversial, the seven inter-connected prequel mini-series will build on the foundation of the original WATCHMEN, the bestselling graphic novel of all time. BEFORE WATCHMEN will be the collective banner for all seven titles, from DC Comics.

“It’s our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. “After twenty five years, the Watchmen are classic characters whose time has come for new stories to be told. We sought out the best writers and artists in the industry to build on the complex mythology of the original.”

Stepping up to the challenge is a group of the comic book industry’s most iconoclastic writers and artists – including Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS), Lee Bermejo (JOKER), Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL), Darwyn Cooke (JUSTICE LEAGUE: NEW FRONTIER), John Higgins (WATCHMEN), Adam Hughes (CATWOMAN), J.G. Jones (FINAL CRISIS), Andy Kubert (FLASHPOINT), Joe Kubert (SGT. ROCK), Jae Lee (BATMAN: JEKYLL AND HYDE), J. Michael Straczynski (SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE) and Len Wein (SWAMP THING).

Each week, a new issue will be released, and will feature a two-page back-up story called CURSE OF THE CRIMSON CORSAIR, written by original series editor Len Wein and with art by original series colorist John Higgins. There will also be a single issue, BEFORE WATCHMEN: EPILOGUE, featuring the work of various writers and artists, and a CRIMSON CORSAIR story by Wein and Higgins.

“The original series of WATCHMEN is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC’s reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire,” said Dave Gibbons, WATCHMEN co-creator and original series artist.

“Comic books are perhaps the largest and longest running form of collaborative fiction,” said DiDio and Lee. “Collaborative storytelling is what keeps these fictional universes current and relevant.”

The series and their creative teams are as follows:

• RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo

• MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke

• COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones

• DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes

• NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert

• OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee

• SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

I'm actually really excited by this. Those are all fantastic names and utterly amazing artists. Despite your feelings on whether or not Watchmen should be touched, these books are going to be very interesting.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Only ever watched the movie, but Rorschach interests me as a character, so I'll likely read those issues at least.
Consider the creative teams.

Brian Azzarello wrote 100 Bullets, the Joker OGN, the Luthor OGN, Flashpoint Batman: Knight of Vengeance and is writing the current Wonder Woman series.

Lee Bermejo is the artist for the Joker OGN, the Luther OGN and the writer/artist of Batman: Noel.

J.G. Jones is the artist for Wanted, Final Crisis and the covers for 52.

Darwyn Cooke is the writer/artist for Justice League: the New Frontier and the Parker books from IDW.

Amanda Conner is the artist for the original twelve issues of the Power Girl series.

J. Michael Straczynski is the writer of Superman: Earth One, Silver Surfer: Reqiuem, Spider-Man and creator of Babylon 5.

Len Wein created Swamp Thing and edited the original Watchmen comics.

Andy Kubert is the artist of Flashpoint and his father, Joe Kubert is one of the most influential artists in the business.

I don't expect you to know anything that Adam Hughes and Jae Lee have done because they really haven't done anything all that notable whilst I've been reading comics but they do some really nice covers. Hughes is currently cover artist for Batgirl and Lee used to the covers for the Stephen King's Dark Tower comics.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I don't think the Watchmen universe should have been touched again, but the creative teams behind these books are really good so I think it's too soon to expect the worst. Plus, Dave Gibbons is ok with it so I think we should at least give these a chance.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I don't think the Watchmen universe should have been touched again, but the creative teams behind these books are really good so I think it's too soon to expect the worst. Plus, Dave Gibbons is ok with it so I think we should at least give these a chance.

Agree with this. I will read it, but I'll have a reserved attitude towards it.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
I didn't need these prequels. I could have lived quite happily without them. But considering they are coming whether we like them or not and that the creative teams are actually very good, I'm going to get them. I don't think they'll surpass what the original did for comics but at the very least they'll be well written, engaging and they'll look very, very fucking beautiful.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
I don't think the Watchmen should be touched at all. The mystery of the characters' past, outside of the stuff we already know, is a huge part of the allure of The Watchmen. However, a Minutemen series is a great idea, and I'll be picking that one up for sure. Might pick up the Rorschach ones too, since he's a strong solo character.

Edit: and the covers just showed up on my tumblr feed

Maybe I'll pick up Manhattan and Ozymandias afterall... `3` Though I have a bad feeling that Hughes is going to make Laurie look like all his other beautiful supermodel women, which she isn't supposed to be.

Last edited:

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Minutemen.jpg

Rorschach.jpg

Comedian.jpg

SilkSpectre.jpg

DoctorManhatten.jpg

Ozymandias.jpg

NiteOwl.jpg

All the covers.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Nite Owl is sitting on the balls of a brick penis.

Edit: OH SHIT I just noticed the white silhouette of Rorschach in his own mask. I'm obligated to buy that now, just because of how fucking clever that is jesus christ.

Last edited:

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I never even finished Watchmen. Watched the movie though, obligated to borrow the series from my friend now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back