• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

DB/DBZ's Influence in Anime

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

sephy 9 2 5

Okay I was looking at a thread in the video game section and someone said Sonic reminded them of DBZ and then somebody came along and said they were wrong about there being similarities. Well I'd like to take the time to clear this up Akira Toriyama was a big influence and was a huge inspiration to alot of anime creators of today. In most cases he's their favorite idol. DBZ also had an influence on shows and videogames too. Shows, anime, and videogames he's had influence on are as follows:

• Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Naruto
  • Yugi-Oh
  • OVA Puni Puni Poemy
  • Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
  • Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
  • One Piece
  • Codename: Kids Next Door
  • Yakitate!! Japan
  • Courage the Cowardly Dog
  • Eyeshield 21
  • Excel Saga
  • The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
  • DNA²
  • Naruto(just to make sure you got it)

His influence is incredible and anything that you may think seems like DBZ probably is.

Xell

Wait, wut?
Indeed, Akira Toriyama is a living legend and is a big infleuence on alot of animes... DBZ was 1st in Japan for about 5 years (I think).

But when Funi dubbed it, it gave it a bad name and alot of people hated it.. I personally didn't hate Funi's dub..

Libra

Your Ending Theme
Xell said:
Indeed, Akira Toriyama is a living legend and is a big infleuence on alot of animes... DBZ was 1st in Japan for about 5 years (I think).

But when Funi dubbed it, it gave it a bad name and alot of people hated it.. I personally didn't hate Funi's dub..

They hated it for the editing and censorship. The voice acting was actually decent and IMO better than the Japanese.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Dragon Ball Z has had a negative influence on anime. They've taken all the bad parts from it and incorporated that into their own shows, like the damn prolonged confrontations and nonsensical power level-esque crap.

Ysu

Formerly Kown as..
Website
www.myspace.com
Naruto is DBZ.

DBZ helped make anime mainstream in America, but its still a horrible representation of anime as a whole and wasn't as great of a show as many people want themselves to believe.

Straw_Hat

l4t1n0pr1d3 said:
Naruto is DBZ.

DBZ helped make anime mainstream in America, but its still a horrible representation of anime as a whole and wasn't as great of a show as many people want themselves to believe.

how so?

it had something for everyone

Zaraki

personally i liked Db more then DBZ it seemed like there was more fighting and less powering up and everyone was on the same level of fighting it wasant just about the sayins being the heros

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
nega sora said:
personally i liked Db more then DBZ it seemed like there was more fighting and less powering up and everyone was on the same level of fighting it wasant just about the sayins being the heros
same here. And it was more about story than action.

Akira Toriyama was a legond in japan far before Dragon Ball Z, by the way. And as for DBZ's influence on BoBo-Bo, it's actually parodying it more than anything. It's making fun of manga/anime in general. That's why the attacks have such rediculous names XP

Veritas

Is Retired.
Website
www.myspace.com
DBZ is one of those anime that was widely spread in many countries. A lot of people know what it is and have liked it at some point. Personally, I found the story of both dull. I liked DBZ at the same time when I liked Power Rangers which is very similar to DB/DBZ. DB/DBZ had mediocre animation and a decent storyline. It has left a negative impression on many shows in my opinion.

sephy 9 2 5

heartless nobody said:
same here. And it was more about story than action.

Akira Toriyama was a legond in japan far before Dragon Ball Z, by the way. And as for DBZ's influence on BoBo-Bo, it's actually parodying it more than anything. It's making fun of manga/anime in general. That's why the attacks have such rediculous names XP

I already know that I'm just saying Dragon Ball influences alot of things. I never said the influence was bad or good I only said it was big and incredible because of so many things that imitate DB.

And in "Japan" is the key word there he's was truly famous after the Dragon Ball series and was idolized after making it.

The DB series makes him who he is today not any previous work because when you think of Toriyama you think of DB.

Everything on that list are parodies. You know only half the defintion of it yes it can be for ridicule but it's also a literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author.

Sir Jecht

Pro Assassino Attivista
Awards
You know what the funny thing is I'm listening to DBZ music right now(I dont what it's called cuz Winamp wont read it right)..anyways

Akira Toriyama's DB/DBZ has an influence or padory in most every anime that calls out their attacks..power up for more than 10sec,uses the word SEVEN..etc...I loved the story of DB/DBZ I watched both the dubbed and subbed versions when I was younger..Toriyama was basically the reason why I started drawing anime/manga....I also loved his other works such as Dr.Slump....which showed up in DB..but no one that I knew back then knew what that show was(Dr.Slump I mean)...DB/DBZ....the only thing I hate is how it influenced Anime....that I see today on TV....and how some people categorize any anime with fighting as DBZ..like how some do with pokemon or digimon...like Yu Yu Hakusho was way better than DBZ(though it had DB influences it also had alot more)..but it (from what I blieve) lives in the shadow of DBZ due to the mainstreaming audiences "love"(cant figure out another word to use) of DBZ....I love this show yet hate what it has done to some of the anime and fans I see today.....it kinda reminds me of how everyone will classify any Giant-Robot fighting anime as a Gundam wannabe or or something along those lines...but in the end I cant blame people for taking what Toriyama did and adding it to their animes..

Ysu

Formerly Kown as..
Website
www.myspace.com
Straw_Hat said:
how so?

it had something for everyone

Because of mainstream shows like DBZ, many Americans got the impression that Anime is about steroid taking, spiky haired men with bulging muscles and long drawn out attacks. It took so many episodes just to cover 5 minutes and there was so much filler and flashbacks inbetween that it made you hate the creator for not just getting to the point. The story wasn't great and the action usally lasted only a few minutes, then it was back to talking. I'll admit though, the first 3 movies were great, but after Super Sayans came into the series, everything just went downhill.

I could also go on a rant about how Gundam Wing and G Gundam ruined the Gundam series in America . . .

Straw_Hat

l4t1n0pr1d3 said:
Because of mainstream shows like DBZ, many Americans got the impression that Anime is about steroid taking, spiky haired men with bulging muscles and long drawn out attacks. It took so many episodes just to cover 5 minutes and there was so much filler and flashbacks inbetween that it made you hate the creator for not just getting to the point. The story wasn't great and the action usally lasted only a few minutes, then it was back to talking. I'll admit though, the first 3 movies were great, but after Super Sayans came into the series, everything just went downhill.

I could also go on a rant about how Gundam Wing and G Gundam ruined the Gundam series in America . . .

super saiyans were a downfall for dragon ball, yes, because it then was just about them gettin all beefed up. But before that, it had comedy, action, creativity, the works....and don't blame anime filler on the creator, please.

Zaraki

dragonball z made no sense after a while... i think it was during the android saga but i was wonderin why they didnt go into the hyperbolic time chamber to train so they could own the android slike that but nooooo. there just to stupid think of that i think thats when i found out that i hated z.

SOLDIER Cloud

Bronze Member
l4t1n0pr1d3 said:

That may be true, but this is FACT. Four shows predominately are why anime is popular in America.

1 Dragonball Z
2 Pokemon
3 Gundam Wing.
4 Sailor Moon
Critisize them all you want but the fact is without them, most of you would have NEVER watched a moment of anime in your life. That said, the first 3 movies sucked. The series was supposed to end after the first Super Saiyan, but the fans wanted more.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
SOLDIER Cloud said:
Critisize them all you want but the fact is without them, most of you would have NEVER watched a moment of anime in your life. That said, the first 3 movies sucked. The series was supposed to end after the first Super Saiyan, but the fans wanted more.

In fact Goku was supposed to die on Namek, Krillin would come back, and Vegeta would stay on earth as Bulma baby daddy. Key elements on how the series continued

Haywire

parlay?
Website
freewebs.com
SOLDIER Cloud said:
That may be true, but this is FACT. Four shows predominately are why anime is popular in America.

1 Dragonball Z
2 Pokemon
3 Gundam Wing.
4 Sailor Moon

yeah those shows were the hit original anime shows. i remember the good ol' days when those were first gaining popularity, i watched gundam wing,DBZ,pokemon...

SOLDIER Cloud

Bronze Member
In fact Goku was supposed to die on Namek, Krillin would come back, and Vegeta would stay on earth as Bulma baby daddy. Key elements on how the series continued

I know that. although I thought it was just going to end RIGHT after Namek exploded, and we would realize the obvious, that they would wish Goku and Krillen back. That said, I am GLAD that it did not end, because we got to meet TRUNKS, the coolest character in any show ever. And, someone whos dub voice actor DOMINATES his Japanese Voice Actor (actually, Goku, Gohan, Trunks, Goten, Bulma, somewhat Vegeta, all their Japanese voices suck, Piccolo is the only good one)

yeah those shows were the hit original anime shows. i remember the good ol' days when those were first gaining popularity, i watched gundam wing,DBZ,pokemon...

yeah, me too, I guess 1 and 2 could be reversed possibly.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
SOLDIER Cloud said:

1 Dragonball Z
2 Pokemon
3 Gundam Wing.
4 Sailor Moon

There's one thing I notice about each of the shows you listed. Each one is a essentially a marketing gimmick. That's the reason why they're so popular, and that's why they spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back