• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Souls - CROSSING SOULS [ OOC and Signups ]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Falling to her knee, the Firekeeper extends her hand to the fire.
Clutched in her long, dirty fingers,
Three sprites,
with darkened cores;
white flames burning forth from its center.
This is Humanity. The fuel of bonfires.
This is the Firekeeper's duty. A role that has been forced upon her.
Lidded eyes; for a quiet moment of reflection.
And she comes to her feet,
hands reaching for flasks hanging from her body.
Each one is handed to an adventurer.
And each Undead face she greets. She asks only one thing.
What is thy name

DARKSOULSDARKSMALL.jpg

You were cursed, the clerics had told you. Branded with a wicked and evil mark, the mark of the undead. When they found you, you were sick and delirious. You think you can remember the screams of the living. Or was it laughter? Cries of anguish? You cannot be certain; your mind betraying you, thoughts muddled and lost, confused in a torrent of complex and conflicting reports. You could barely gather the will to bring your chin up from your resting place. Your mouth moved to speak. But you could not hear whatever it is you had to say.

The Dark Sign, they say; words spoken among them. Had they forgotten you? They seemed far too busy with each other, conversing in hushed tones and hand gestures. The only thing you could recognize was the coat of arms on their tabards. You had seen it before. Though it took you a fair moment to recall the name from the dirty waters of your memories.

The House of Thorolund and the mark of the Way of White.

What were they doing here? Wait. You said that. You remember actually saying that. They only came to the homes of those who had died and come back. To those who came back as Undead.

They finally looked to you and one even seemed to smile, kindly, as he nodded his head. He spoke to you. But just as quickly as you had your mind together. It was lost. You could not make it out. It was as if his words belonged to a tongue suddenly foreign to you. And then as a group, they approached you. And when their calloused hands touched your dry skin, your world faded for a great deal of time.

The world comes to you, consciousness regained, finding yourself imprisoned, wooden grain underneath you shaking. Was it the jostling that awoke you from your slumber? You are still weak, as you have just barely enough will gathered for you to lift your vision upwards. And immediately you regret the motion, as the world around you swirls and twists, making your guts wretch violently.

The back of your head strikes against the bars behind you, to a silent rest. What feels like hours pass, your eyes clenched shut in an attempt to still reality. Only after your momentary respite do you dare open them once more, to try and gather your surroundings. But still, your mind fights against you. All you can make out is the barred window before you. Too high to be reached, even if you stood.

Dawn seems to be staring back at you through the slit, tree tops moving and shifting, motion guiding them in and out of view. Something about the aqua-green landscape calls to you, as you try to lift your hand to it. But your efforts sobered, the sound of steel shifting against steel, your consciousness cracking at the sound. Your hands bound; you dare not struggle against it again.

Your thoughts race. You try to pierce the shroud that blankets your psyche, to find common ground and reestablish your sanity.

Who are you, Undead?

[OOC]
Crossing Souls is a Character-Driven roleplay based on the video game Dark Souls, using the setting and lore established subtly through the game world. Some of the major themes of the original story shall be used to lay out a world for you, the players to discover and explore together and we shall be using mediums as unique as the methods the game has used as well.

This will be a hybrid of Messenger and Forum RP, with major events taking place real-time as a group through a messenger program, while minor RP between players can take place on the forums. Major RP events are to be heavily DM driven by myself and combat, ( if and when it takes place, ) will be done with a very casual d20 system, with rules explained to players before any roleplay takes place.

There is a maximum of six slots to be filled, as anymore than that would cause great strife in my ability to manage.

[Requirements]​
Please note, that to be able to participate in this Roleplay, you will first need to have AOL Instant Messenger installed as well as a Google account so you can join in Google Documents. AIM will be used for Major RP events that will require all players to be online at the same time. Two separate chatrooms will be open for the purposes of rolling dice and for OOC banter. GoogleDocs will be used as our grounds for posting our RP. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this, please feel free to either pop me a PM, or speak to me in private. I am very open and willing to work out arrangements for you!

I am also considering using online radio streaming for the sake of atmosphere, but this will only be done if you, the players, are interested in this extra step.

And of course, please post your applications for considerations. I am looking for those who have a great deal of commitment and dedication to seeing a finished product, as I have a large story I wish to see through to the end. An application template is available at the bottom.

[Dark Souls Lore]
Dark Souls is known for it's extremely minimalistic storytelling, with a very intricate and complex world for the player to explore and discover. For this reason, I'll be providing a few links here for you to reference if you need them. And I consider myself a moderate expert on the game's setting and lore, so if you feel you need to know more, drop me a line. I will also be doing my best to ensure lore cohesion in your application, so if I feel something does not mesh well, I shall speak with you privately. I don't bite!

GENERAL LORE: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Lore
COVENANTS: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covenants

[Rules and Guidelines]​
I am a fairly relaxed DM and I generally trust my players to know their bounds and stay within them, but I will quickly list three BASIC things to understand.

• DM has final say. Always - This one is simple enough. If ever I need to make a calling on something during, after, before our RP, it is absolute. This is not so much a power trip on my part, as it is keeping story and player cohesion.
  • Powergaming, Metagaming will be punished - This is simple enough. Keep IC when you are roleplaying. Do not use OOC information to influence the game. If I find you are crossing the OOC/IC line too often, I will find reason to remove you from this experience.
  • Your character is undead - There’s no exceptions to this, I am sorry. When you apply, please make sure your biography ends upon your character’s death. I will fill in the blanks myself to lead up the story to the established present.

[Application Format]
[Name]:
Generally, your surname is kept extremely private to those close to you and your family. Formally, it is courteous to greet, reference or speak of someone in the order of title, first name, and birthplace. Examples being “Solaire of Astora” “Knight Lautrec of Carim”. Casually, just first names are used. It is extremely rude to use someone's surname in public company.
[Age]:
Simple enough. The character's age upon their death.
[Sex]:
What your character identifies as. Male, female, transgendered, genderqueer, etc. etc.
[Homeland]:
What is your character's birthplace or identified homeland?
[Faith]:
What Covenant, if any, does your character belong to? certain Covenants are unique to the land of Lordran. These are the Princess' Guard, the Blade of the Darkmoon, Forest Hunter and Dark Wraith. The most common faiths outside the land of Lordran are Way of White and Warrior of Sunlight. Gravelord Servant, Chaos Servant and Path of the Dragon are considered heretic cults by the majority of mainstream humanity. Please note, that picking Way of White will cause great conflict with my storytelling and I will be extremely picky of any applications using this as their character's covenant. Don't be afraid to bring it forth, I will speak to you in private if there is need.
[Brief Personality]:
Keep this relatively short. Three to four sentences should do. Give me as best a window into your character as possible.
[Physical description]:
How does your character appear to others? Please keep this description relevant only to their human form.
[Brief History]:
Please keep this at maximum, two paragraphs. Please describe your character's life, up until the time of their death. What did they do in life? Where and how did they die? Leave their history post-undeath completely blank.
[Skills]:
Please give a brief list of what skills your character is handy with. These can be as simple as farming, smithing, swordplay, alchemy. Keep it relevant to your character's backstory. This is not a High Fantasy romp to Mordor.

Raeneth

Has a custom user title
Awards
seems kinda boring bro. Who plays dark souls amirite

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
I love the world, characters, and lore of Dark Souls . . . but I'm hesitant to install AIM.
It's a tempting roleplay, though, so I'll wait to see who else is interested.

If I join, expect a mild-mannered sorcerer or a monstrous Darkwraith.

Eternal Redemption

last in line
I like the idea behind this roleplay. But as the poster above pointed out, the whole AIM thing is just meehhh. I'm a huge fan of Dark Souls but not big enough to devote myself completely to this RP in the manner that it seems to be asking for. So yeah. :/ Still would be interested in joining it, though.

Awards
As an explanation, the reason why I will be using AIM is purely for the dice rolling mechanics. And so far, it's the most convenient method I know of to do so. If anyone can point me in a direction to what they feel is more convenient, please do so. :D

Raeneth

Has a custom user title
Awards
As per request, dearest Denny-poo

Also, could we just use random.org's dice/number generator?

[Name]:
Sir Tenebris of Astora
[Age]:
31 years
[Sex]:
All man, baby
[Homeland]:
Astora. All day. Erryday.
[Faith]:
Warrior of Sunlight. He's a Sun Bro. Praise it.
[Brief Personality]:
Once a jovial man overflowing with enthusiasm, his spirit had been broken by the endless days of strife and sorrow he saw throughout his travels. In his undeath, Sir Tenebris has become stoic and introspective. Some would consider him a bit cold, but he is a sword without a banner, and finds no hope left for which to strive. A broken man who exists merely since there is no alternative.
[Physical description]:
In his life, Tenebris was a strong and proud man. His black hair nearly cropped and pulled back into a short tuft. His narrow golden eyes sat beneath a pair of thin eyebrows similarly colored to the hair atop his head. His jaw solid and sturdy and perpetually covered with a days worth of stubble. His chin showed significantly more. A slightly thick neck and wide chest, strong arms and hands and a comparatively thin waist and legs. He had a few scars that have stayed with him, including a nice sized one that runs diagonally from his right shoulder to his left hand stomach area.

He died in his Sunlight armor, which was naught more than a silver scale closed helmet that sat atop an olive green garb that was worn over his chainmail underneath. The symbol of his sect emblazoned across the chest amidst a white background. Silver scale gauntlets and grieves and a flowing white cape which is significantly caked in mud, dirt, blood, and is significantly tattered now.
[Brief History]:
Much of Tenebris' adolescence was spent tending to the farm his family owned and operated. Daily chores for much of his life brought him a strong and sturdy body. When he came of age, he left his land and sought to join the ranks of Sunlight. In time he became an apprentice. Much of the same menial labor awaited him as his elder sculpted his body into that of a true warrior's. In time, he joined the ranks of a Knight.

Finally having power his family had never known, he sought to bring the world to a better state as best he could. Much of his time was spent helping the meek and the less fortunate and attempting to make others' lives more enjoyable as best he could, as was his code. He was happy, and at peace for a while. Slowly, though, he saw that no matter how much he tried and how hard he worked, nothing ever seemed to get better for very long. Finally he had decided to take a temporary leave to embark upon a journey to see what good, if any, his actions had brought.

He grew more discouraged by the day. Not even the shining sun above could lift his spirits as he gave in more and more to hopelessness and despair as he traveled across the lands. He never returned from his journey.
[Skills]:
Tenebris is one of the few warriors who trained in the lance and shield. Comfortable with lances up to two to the three meters in length, he is quite apt at using them as well as halberds. As is customary in his Knighthood, he is trained well in the usage of many different lengths and types of swords from short sword to greatsword. In addition, he knows a few basic curative miracles. Much of his adult life has been spent focusing around combat, and in his undeath, he finds it is all he remembers from his life, much to his chagrin.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Expressing my tentative interest. Tentative where it would otherwise be definite because of how random dice rolls can be conveniently arranged for all, and also time zone issues. I think for some - such as Ordeith and to a lesser extent myself - prefer roleplaying experiences, the whole of which could be access in a single place. If this could all be done over AOL, or Google Docs (if it has that capacity) or on KHI, I'd be fine to go with it, but as it stands I think the number of systems you wish to incorporate will only server as a stumbling block to entry or some.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I love it but dice rolls are for IRL because I hates me some goddamn cheaters in dem dice rolls

Also too lazy to get ancient AIM and Google Documentos

Awards
Expressing my tentative interest. Tentative where it would otherwise be definite because of how random dice rolls can be conveniently arranged for all, and also time zone issues. I think for some - such as Ordeith and to a lesser extent myself - prefer roleplaying experiences, the whole of which could be access in a single place. If this could all be done over AOL, or Google Docs (if it has that capacity) or on KHI, I'd be fine to go with it, but as it stands I think the number of systems you wish to incorporate will only server as a stumbling block to entry or some.

The reasoning behind AIM is for me to have a direct hand in the story when it is called for. I wish to keep these sparse and far between, as having too many at once will only serve as a hindrance to everyone's motivation to play. A good example would be the beginning of this RP, when it does kick off the ground. I need everyone together so that I can weave and set up the direction of the story from here on out.

Also dicerolls I feel are appropriate, though I will give bonuses and the like for 'smart' attempts. Like, attacking from behind, etc. etc. But just like in Dark Souls. Sometimes you just get fucked.

I love it but dice rolls are for IRL because I hates me some goddamn cheaters in dem dice rolls

Also too lazy to get ancient AIM and Google Documentos

You can't cheat in AIM rolls. Everyone sees your roll.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I've just been wondering, as I go about constructing my character: since it's not there currently, should I/we put in an entry for our equipment? How 'far into the game' can we have our arms and armour be?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
[Name]:
Guardian Balthus of Carim
[Age]:
34 years
[Sex]:
Male​
[Homeland]:
Carim​
[Faith]:
Forest Hunter

Effectively kept in exile from his homeland of Carim and his duties there by the treacherous creatures and environs of Lordran, he found solace, familiarity and kinship with the defenders of the Darkroot Forest.
[Brief Personality]:
Selfless almost to a fault, and of towering physical stature bolstered by tough armour and a pair of strong shields, Balthus is unafraid to bear the brunt of most physical assaults targeted at those he protects - by duty or friendship.
Though seperated from his usual charge, Balthus enjoys battles as a means to test himself and put to good use his skills of shield-fighting, offering a powerful contrast of solid defense and assault.
[Physical description]:
Solidly built, and possessed of a face full of sharp angles and a bald head, Balthus cuts an imposing figure. From his chin grows a chestnut beard that is assembled into a half-foot-long braid, held together by string and rings of semi-precious metals.
[Brief History]:
Once designated protector various middle nobles of Carim, Balthus was charged with the protection of a lower of the elite on a fanciful quest into Lordran. A youth by comparison to his usual charges, the boy - hardly a man at all - got himself killed the moment he decided that any show of bravado was a smart thing in the strange, dangerous land of Lordran.

Balthus hardly regrets the death of the foolish child, for his stupidity would call for his end one day or another, and his chances of returning to Carim in shame were now remote. Instead of regretting his inability to return home, Balthus enjoys exploration and sightseeing in Lordran, whenever Hollows, creatures and fantastical beasts permit.
[Skills]:
Balthus - as the occasional guardian as well as medic for small troupes - understands basic herbal medicines, and is able to identify non-toxic fruits, vegetables and roots from those safe to eat. Balthus is also well-practiced in smithing, as part of the experimentation it took to get the exact sorts of shields he wanted.

Awards
Raeneth and Orion, you are both in. :D I am going to be plotting out your stats and equipment very shortly! I should have you both up by tomorrow night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back