• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road finale to be delayed further, new release date TBD

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
All of the new story content is nice. I just hope it's good enough to justify all of the additional gameplay that we're going to have to slog through.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
All of the new story content is nice. I just hope it's good enough to justify all of the additional gameplay that we're going to have to slog through.
Yeah, I think a lot of people have forgotten that DR is going to be fully playable in offline mode so all this new story won't be immediately unlocked in the theater. That's gonna be a long wait for those who didn't grind enough levels and want to experience the story for themselves rather than watching videos.

Iirc, Episode 3 left off with a recommended level in the mid-20s. It is possible to be caught up to that within a day (I've had to repeat the process 8 times when I was recording cutscene variations), but it's what comes after that's gonna be rough.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Yeah, I think a lot of people have forgotten that DR is going to be fully playable in offline mode so all this new story won't be immediately unlocked in the theater. That's gonna be a long wait for those who didn't grind enough levels and want to experience the story for themselves rather than watching videos.

Iirc, Episode 3 left off with a recommended level in the mid-20s. It is possible to be caught up to that within a day (I've had to repeat the process 8 times when I was recording cutscene variations), but it's what comes after that's gonna be rough.
Considering how quickly recommended levels escalated while the game was live, I have to assume the difficulty curve will be adjusted (along with level-up BP requirements, 'cause holy shit).
There's no way that much grinding would fly for an offline game.
I feel like if they weren't going to adjust the presently-available content, there wouldn't be a need to completely take the game down. Could've left basic functions like world battles open.

cakito123

Awards
I still don't understand how something that just looks horrifically easy to animate takes so long to animate
IIRC Nomura did say there was only one of two people developing Union X and Dark Road aside from him writing. So that explains a lot.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
IIRC Nomura did say there was only one of two people developing Union X and Dark Road aside from him writing. So that explains a lot.
Around a year before UX concluded, he disclosed that they had only just hired a second flash animator to work on cutscenes. Prior to that, since the original KHX, there was only one.

We don't know if there have been any changes in staff since then but yeah, not a lot of hands still on this project. And of course, just because it looks simple doesn't mean it actually is.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
They should have just made Dark Road a movie like Back Cover... except better, like an actual movie.

Xehanort could have visited 3 DISNEY worlds: Agrabah (encounter Genie), Atlantica (encounter Triton), and NeverLand (encounter Peter Pan). It could be used to give more lore about worlds, like how Genie is all powerful in Agrabah only or why Peter Pan doesn't age in NeverLand. Not only would that flesh out more DISNEY world lore, but it would also show Xehanort's intrigue in the nature of the worlds grow in an organic way.

The scenario I had for Agrabah was actually Xehanort encountering someone corrupted by Darkness who finds Genie's lamp. Xehanort kills the guy and takes the lamp for himself back to Scala Ad Caelum. Xehanort tries to summon Genie, but he doesn't appear. Xehanort goes back to Agrabah and summons Genie, to find out why that happened.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They should have just made Dark Road a movie like Back Cover... except better, like an actual movie.

Xehanort could have visited 3 DISNEY worlds: Agrabah (encounter Genie), Atlantica (encounter Triton), and NeverLand (encounter Peter Pan). It could be used to give more lore about worlds, like how Genie is all powerful in Agrabah only or why Peter Pan doesn't age in NeverLand. Not only would that flesh out more DISNEY world lore, but it would also show Xehanort's intrigue in the nature of the worlds grow in an organic way.

The scenario I had for Agrabah was actually Xehanort encountering someone corrupted by Darkness who finds Genie's lamp. Xehanort kills the guy and takes the lamp for himself back to Scala Ad Caelum. Xehanort tries to summon Genie, but he doesn't appear. Xehanort goes back to Agrabah and summons Genie, to find out why that happened.
Yes, but also they were probably thinking about money as they decided the delivery method for Dark Road. It’s infinitely cheaper to make simple flash animations with probably pre-rigged actions with a team of 2-3 people in a game they previously could use to funnel money from whales. It was practically free-ish money until it was clear fans weren’t biting.

It is more expensive to properly animate something with the quality of Back Cover.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
2 whole weeks after JP dropped the news, too, and you can tell from the wording that they really could not care less lol

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
At least they're good at delivering some comedy.

To announce a delay by having the announcement itself being delayed, genius move.
Now for those who only follow the global announcements the delay will actually be shorter, lol, except if there will be another delay.

palizinhas

Awards
The day Dark Road finally comes out it will be a day later than the last planned date.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Did they delay the announcement for the delayed date?
They never said they would provide one to begin with. All they did was ask everyone to be patient and wait a little longer. It's very clear that they don't want to commit to a date until they're 100% sure everything is ready to go.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
It'd be kind of sick if they spotlighted Dark Road during the Anniversary event and said "available now"

Although, wouldn't really work as well when we aren't actually gonna see the event in real time, I guess

Back