• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road ► Dark Road Finale Megathread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

darknessofheart

Awards
Upon re-watching the previous cutscenes, one thing I noticed was that Bragi was always quick to always ask Xehanort for his opinion or advice during most situations. Towards the end, it even seemed like he had a respect for how quick Xehanort was to pick up on details. Nice touch and was cool foreshadowing that Luxu knew that Xehanort was going to be an important piece, even if he didn't think he was the seeker at that point.

the red monster

Awards
Pretty decent finale.
loved that the blue-hood is the second life of the player, now it make sense why they never showed it's face in the ending of UX.
also loved that xehanort is part of ephemer's bloodline.
bragi being luxu was pretty obvious, pretty much since they revealed the name before game ever released lol
game deserved more budget, but still major props to these two people, they did great job all things considered.

Sonofjafar

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Chie

Awards
They just added Newtypes to Kingdom Hearts? Okay cool.

You can tell that the final chapters are wrapping stuff up pretty quickly because they have no budget or even income generated by the game. With that said, I loved the middle chapters and how much this game is pointing out things that should be obvious but that the characters don't tend to get. It's a story about the assumptions that Keyblade wielders make and why. Even Hades is baffled by how they have such a vague concept of death - which we do too, as viewers! Because it's confusing!

There's a lot of vague implications scattered around that are yet unresolved and the plot might continue not touching, honestly. There's always an uneasiness with these - "is he actually going anywhere with any of this?" - but so far it's playing into many of the themes and theories I already suspected, so I guess I'm on the right track.

I really don't get what Baldr was talking about in the end. And also where is Yen Sid.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Hades when he played the UX update that changed Ark to Lifeboats

f001afa3174d275a6436501cc1164e2ec698ab9f.pnj

vcB8F41.png

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I enjoyed this finale, though I do feel like some of the back and forths confused me.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Chie

Awards
Ok wait. "My name is -----". In KHII the characters couldn't refer to their photographs because the Dusks stole the word, which is censored in the same way. The "photo" in "photograph" comes from "photos" which means light in Greek. A light shines when he says his name in the KH3 version of the scene. Is MoM's name "Photos".

I'm only mostly joking.

Xagzan

Awards
Starting the videos in earnest now. Episode 4 down.

You know, for someone who was so concerned with finding his beloved dream friends his entire life, Xehanort sure didn't treat Ven very nice when he found him lol.

I also laughed when he walked away at the end, imagining the Mirror being like "uh hey where you going? Don't you wanna hear where the rest of them are?"

Zackarix

Awards
I was surprised by how relevant the Disney worlds ended up being. It's especially impressive when you realize that they didn't even get to chose which worlds would work best for the story, they were stuck with trying to make the best of reused KHUX assets. And they succeeded.

the red monster

Awards
but this game had too large of a cast of newcomers for me to really care for most of them. X/Unchained/Union Cross gave us a more centralised cast hence why they're more memorable.
This i have to agree with. game is not long enough to have this many characters.
they died way too fast to have any sort of connection with them, which lessen the impact of their death.
still pretty good for the amount of time they had though.

Agroogrooiya

Awards
I thought DR would upstage XC3 but no, it didn't. I don't feel bad for Xehanort, I don't have any empathy or sympathy for him unlike I did for my boy N. The difference between them is the writing, timing, and the callousness Xehanort always had versus N's once being an upstanding member of society.

Xehanort was always interested in towing the line of dark, even crossing over it, and he never showed his cards. Why? We will never know. Eraqus' friendship with him wasn't the same as his friendship with Eraqus. E seriously valued his buddy-turned-brother, even in their old age he loved his brother. Xehanort did not. Eraqus did move to kill Ven, but NOT Xehanort. Why? Because even after the scars, he STILL loved his brother. Xehanort killed Eraqus like a bitch too, and only when Xehanort himself was on death's door did he finally give in to Eraqus' wishes.

Looking back, we see Xehanort's callousness too when he kills Baldr. He wasnt supposed to kill him, just rid him of darkness. Thats why Eraqus was with shocked expression.

Sonofjafar

Awards
so i found out that blue robe does not have the same color as Yen Sid so a bit disappointed i can't connect the two better. took me awhile to figure that out.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
At last, Dark Road is complete.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Chie

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
You can say this about UX too, which is weird because KH3 DOES have little bits in it that allude to the UX deeplore. But for the most part, KH3 focuses on simple answers that it treats with a lot of gravitas even though they don't really mean anything in the long run. But then you go look at what's going on in UX and it's the craziest revelations in the whole series but they're dropped extremely casually as if they don't exist. It's a really weird tension, like KH3 is a deliberately "simplified" game, like it's gaslighting you or something.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I've avoided watching the scenes and everything I've said was based on what others told me (my first post in the thread was about Bragi) and I've been slowly playing catch up after my save from last year was wiped. Then last night I remembered I could buy a buttload of charms and just steamroll the grind.

Aside from the original Coded, I've never not played and finished a Kingdom Hearts game myself and I wasn't going to let this one be the first one that I didn't finish myself, and I'm almost there!

I'm up to the final chapter now but I'm still reeling from spending what? 18 or so years having the series ignore family ties, and now we're being told family and bloodlines and ancestry is important.

One of the most unfunniest, overplayed jokes fans make (and boy there's a lot to choose from) is about Sora's mothers dinner and with Nomura now writing into family I'm concerned that Missing Link, which is meant to connect everything, will actually have something in there about that (even as a joke 💀)

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I wonder why Nomura waited this long to start writing in family for real? Up to this point, it was definitely just found family stuff. But now we're getting parents and siblings and cousins and all kinds of stuff. I mean, I don't mind it whether it's found family or blood family but still.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It's definitely odd. I get not touching it before, leaving it up to being found family, and blood relations not being an important thing despite the questions it raised (what did their families think about everything between KH2 and DDD, are they upset that Sora is now dead etc.) as those aren't important for the story itself. Plus making models for like Sora's dad in BbS when Riku talked about him would have taken resources away from something else (similar to why there was no younger young Xehanort model for that game).

What's even weirder is Skuld's connection with Xehanort now. She's not his mother, but his mother (or caregiver?) looks just like her. Meanwhile his heart connected with Players and he had dreams about Skuld. And then she's allegedly Subject X who was in Apprentice Nort's dungeon? Even just that small fraction of "family history" is intriguing, as Nomura does point out blood relations in his answer to that question.

But yeah, KH just having us unlearn things we were told weren't important because now they are important just seems to be a way of life now lo

Chie

Awards
I think the use of family is specifically in the context of Keyblade Society, which is the center of all these prequel games. Technically this was established from BBS' description of Eraqus' bloodline.

Of course by the time of BBS, the society has completely dwindled to random masters training kids they found alone, and then by KH1 there is no keyblade society, and the weapon can only be taken up by children who know nothing of all of this. And so family is not very important in the present day.

Back