• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road final update releases on August 26

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Square Enix has finally released the recap video for the Kingdom Hearts 20th anniversary event. Included with it are some surprise snippets of Kingdom Hearts Dark Road's final update, which will be releasing on August 26th! 

This update will deliver a playable offline mode, as well as the rest of Xehanort's journey, from his days as a young student of Keyblade mastery, to his infamous time as a seeker of darkness. 

Last edited:

okhi12

Awards
It's like they've read my mind, a few hours ago I was thinking they should make an announcement this week after the last one passed without any news.
I was hoping for the update to be released mid august but at least they're going to meet the august deadline and it hasn't been delayed again.
I'm glad Dark Road will be playable, that will be more entertaining than a bunch of cutscenes. I hope they remove the absurd excessive grinding to level up, it makes no sense now that it's an offline game.
I can't wait to see if the ending gives it a good closure or it's more questions than answers as usual.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Good to know. I had almost forgot about Dark Road. Perhaps now we'll finally learn the identity of the old guy who dropped dead on Destiny Islands. I will not let that go, I need answers on this very pressing manner. But anyway I'll be sure to mark it on my calendar and see what happens. I do like Dark Road, I just wish it was released in better circumstances. And I wish I got to know Xehanort's classmates a little more too.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ayy they actually did it! In a way it’s really a marvel they’re managing to push through and actually release Dark Road as a free game after Union X got shut down. Glad we’re getting something to tide us over.

Nomura from the 20th recap event: “I’m sure that people have their doubts about all kinds of things - but a lot of mysteries will become clear if you play [Dark Road]. I’ve solved quite a few mysteries here.”

MoonRabbit

Awards
Bout time. Ever since that comment from the KH3 Ultimania, I was really upset that we never got this game. It’s exactly what I would have wanted to play after DDD. It really should never have been a mobile game, but I’m glad at least the story will be told. From the very first episode, it was sooo much more engaging than Union X.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
It's like they've read my mind, a few hours ago I was thinking they should make an announcement this week after the last one passed without any news.
I was hoping for the update to be released mid august but at least they're going to meet the august deadline and it hasn't been delayed again.
I'm glad Dark Road will be playable, that will be more entertaining than a bunch of cutscenes. I hope they remove the absurd excessive grinding to level up, it makes no sense now that it's an offline game.
I can't wait to see if the ending gives it a good closure or it's more questions than answers as usual.
If they get rid of the crazy grind, I might try playing it again

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with other idle games? How does DR's grind compare?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
A baby…he is precious. 😭 no, KHDR staff why have you made Xehanort so precious.

Also I’m so glad I got my iPad so I can play this on there. My phone is too vital to have it constantly running KHDR. Really hope they got rid of the insane grind, too. We can’t even buy cards so hopefully we can all just run through it without too much hassle.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It is interesting that the robbed man was involved in Xehanort's life and raised him to a degree. From the way his death scene was portrayed I assumed he just watched him grow from a distance

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Ugh, I want to see who the old robbed guy is even more now. Who is this mystery person? What if it's a female? What if it's a old lady Skuld or something like that? This is the biggest mystery left by Union X and I will not rest until I know who that is. Sora and friend's are playing on their burial grounds for crying out loud!

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with other idle games? How does DR's grind compare?
I‘ve only dabbled with other idle games but DR’s grind and gameplay did strike me as particularly offensive (though that may be because I was eager to advance the story content). I’m imagining they’ll adjust the balance and make it more engaging for the 5.0 release since there’s no gacha/P2W option anymore, it’d be pretty silly if they didn’t, but…. 😬

Last edited:
Awards
I literally was thinking about KHDR just a few days ago and been wondering if we'll get any news yet. Then here we are.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Gotta second the notion that I literally forgot about the fact there still being outstanding stuff from Dark Road, lol.

Of course I'll follow the story content once videos of it are out but more or less on the side.

Also looks like we can add another Nort to the collection, can't we? Union X finale gave us Babynort and now we got Toddlernort, or would Kiddienort be more fitting there?
Don't really know, what I do know however is that Nomura seems to be really determined on keeping Xehanort around in some form despite KH III supposedly closing the lid on him and also at least to some degree trying to go on a sort of drum-up-sympathy path for him despite most of the series' suffering so far being his doing.

I certainly agree with those who think that this stuff should have been explored either before or during KH III rather than afterwards.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Gotta second the notion that I literally forgot about the fact there still being outstanding stuff from Dark Road, lol.

Of course I'll follow the story content once videos of it are out but more or less on the side.

Also looks like we can add another Nort to the collection, can't we? Union X finale gave us Babynort and now we got Toddlernort, or would Kiddienort be more fitting there?
Don't really know, what I do know however is that Nomura seems to be really determined on keeping Xehanort around in some form despite KH III supposedly closing the lid on him and also at least to some degree trying to go on a sort of drum-up-sympathy path for him despite most of the series' suffering so far being his doing.

I certainly agree with those who think that this stuff should have been explored either before or during KH III rather than afterwards.
I'm disappointed they skipped Fetusnort. They could have showed him controlling his mother from within, giving her the yellow eyes. She literally would be his first ever vessel to manipulate and control. Richard Epcar can even voice her when he's in full control of mother.

On the topic, Nomura will never get rid of Xehanort. I'm expecting him to appear in KH4 in some shape or form. Realistically Dark Road should have been the story they focused on after DDD/0.2 over Union X as it would have been timed better. Union X could happen after or something. It feels like Nomura loses interest in too many of his old ideas when new ones pop up as shown with so much of the mobile titles in KH3. But yeah, Xehanort ain't going anywhere. He's probably a main staple like Sora and Riku at this point.

MoonRabbit

Awards
Initially, I wanted to dive deeper into the naive, untainted Xehanort who we see playing chess in the next installment (before KH3 was made), but if I did that, the dark seeker arc wouldn’t have ended (laughs), so I decided to shelve it for now.

Nomura did say he wanted to tell the story of Dark Road before KH3. And yeah, that seemed to be what the secret ending of DDD was hinting at.

I’m sure you’re wondering, “Didn’t the dark seeker saga portraying the battle against Xehanort conclude with KINGDOM HEARTS III?” Well, it’s hard to say if Dark Road is part of the dark seeker saga since this story isn’t about the battle against him, but about his own struggles. You might think that’s a stretch, and frankly, maybe it is, but this is a story I’ve been hoping to tell for a long time. It just never seemed to fit with what the team wanted to do, so I shelved it.

The Dark Seeker Saga was not ready to end when it did. It doesn’t seem like it was Nomura's decision to end it so abruptly, but something made by the company. He probably didn’t lose interest in the ideas, but was told that fans were losing interest in the Xehanort stuff and it needed to end ASAP. Personally, I am glad that they decided not to leave Xehanort’s story unfinished. I like the idea that things aren't completely black-and-white (pun intended).

I would have preferred to have the Xehanort arc go on a bit longer so it could have gotten a respectful resolution with KH3, instead of the rushed hack job that we got. That’s why Dark Road and Missing Link are the only two games I’m really excited for. I really just want closure for the story and characters I grew up with. I don’t care about the future of the series, I just want the loose ends of the old saga wrapped up better.

Last edited:
Back