• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dandelion Meeting: Designer and Developer Panel

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Now that we know his name is definitely Brain, I just want to mention that the old English of “brain” is braegen. Not too far off from Braig...

ImVentus

Awards
Now that we know his name is definitely Brain, I just want to mention that the old English of “brain” is braegen. Not too far off from Braig...
Plus he's acting a lot like Braig. I'm still gonna call him Blaine though lol.

I also recently looked up Lauriam's name and it's meaning. Found some interesting parallels to his personality showcased in UX.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Plus he's acting a lot like Braig. I'm still gonna call him Blaine though lol.

I also recently looked up Lauriam's name and it's meaning. Found some interesting parallels to his personality showcased in UX.

Yeah Blaine is just so much better. Lol. But yeah at this point, I think if he’s anyone established, he’s Braig. The connection that Xigbar found and recruited Marluxia is further possible connection. That’s the only thing prior to UX known about their relationship, so it’d be easy to make a story out of their younger selves in UX and continue it in KH3.

Meow Wow

Awards
I kinda hope that 'Brain' is just a misspelling of 'Brian' and the translators forgot that brain means that big thing in your skull that makes us all function...Still calling him Blaine tho.

I'm not gonna make any predictions for now. Blaine could just be some random guy who's unrelated to other characters.

The real question I have is whether Marluxia remembers his past.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I kinda hope that 'Brain' is just a misspelling of 'Brian' and the translators forgot that brain means that big thing in your skull that makes us all function...Still calling him Blaine tho.

I'm not gonna make any predictions for now. Blaine could just be some random guy who's unrelated to other characters.

Except Nomura went on record to say that's his name, so at this point, you're disrespecting the official name of a character over a fan-translated variant. I get that Brain sounds awkward as a name, but that's his name.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yeah no I still prefer Blaine and will never accept Brain or call him that. I don't even really care if it's his actual name, I'll stick to the fan-translation (which according to many people also makes more sense) thank you very much

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Fun thought: What if Braig is immortal/reincarnates and when he takes on a new identity he just changes last letter of his name?

ImVentus

Awards
Blaine I find very suspicious. He's acting like he owns anything he touches. All that's left is that he says "As If"

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Brain is dumb and should never be accepted as an actual name. From how talked up season 2 was to the reality of how disappointing it actually is, alongside their clueless answer about Special Attack Bonus / Guilt, I do not trust anyone at the event calling him “Brain”. For all we know, Nomura said “Blaine” but they kept translating it as Brain because they have made some ridiculous choices that they can’t even explain away.

Kingdom Hearts Union X has and continues to be such a mess. What a disappointment this game is.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Brain is dumb and should never be accepted as an actual name.

Agreed, it becomes even more idiotic when looking at other localisation efforts.
I shudder at the prospect of having to deal with a character named "Gehirn" or "Hirn" in German.

Having latin names is one thing that can be somewhat greenlighted due to it not being an everyday language but

From how talked up season 2 was to the reality of how disappointing it actually is, alongside their clueless answer about Special Attack Bonus / Guilt, I do not trust anyone at the event calling him “Brain”. For all we know, Nomura said “Blaine” but they kept translating it as Brain because they have made some ridiculous choices that they can’t even explain away.

Kingdom Hearts Union X has and continues to be such a mess. What a disappointment this game is.

Heh, what we currently have cannot even be called a "season 2" because nothing actually happens beyond introductions and a first meeting.

R and L are interchangeable as far as I know in Japanese so the western part of SE/Disney could also just be constantly mistranslating it.

Either way though one can't help to second the assessment that so far Union X is quite the disappointment.

They're more concerned about trying to grab into the player's pockets and introduce banners with more overpowered medals and supposed "deals" every second week instead of actually moving the game itself forward.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Like, Brain from Pinky and Brain makes sense because he is actively shown as an intelligent mind who comes up with ingenious plans. Our Blaine has just read a book and hasn’t shown any reason why he should have been given this name. I can’t trust anything that SENA says about the game and the translations, especially with how tone deaf they appear to be with their community and mostly just sharing memes on Reddit instead of actually interacting with the larger community. They just had the UX event and it didn’t even occur to them to share a write up / photos on the Square Enix blog where it would be seen by more people until someone mentioned it to them (and I don’t believe it has happened).

The amount of banners they have thrown at us this month is insane as well. No one has any idea what is coming so you can’t really save because it’s unpredictable what is coming and if you spend your Jewels you might then feel awful when the next banner has a medal/s that you’ve wanted for a long time. I don’t play other SE games so I don’t know how legit this is, but I’ve heard that Record Keeper shows you the banners available for that month. From what I’ve heard about how well the players are treated on that game it wouldn’t surprise me if this were legit.

The panel was a nice idea but I’ve expressed my displeasure about how much time was wasted on pointless things. The answer about Guilt is insulting, and clothing should already have been gender neutral (but then they wouldn’t get double the amount of Jewels if you were to get both). Apparently they wasted a bunch of time talking about the Lord Pence meme and it’s just... it is a waste of time for Nomura and the others on the panel as well as a waste of time for people who could have spent that time listening to more information about how the game is made.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean, it's not like translation and localization errors (or even just questionable choices) aren't a thing.
As I said I have no problem with Brain, it's... I've heard far dumber names for that to touch me (also it could be that I have no attachment to this character whatsoever, he could be named Strawberrius Huguoe as far as I'm concerned), but I'd be lying if I didn't acknowledge mistakes were made in the past, from "Yufeie" in KH1's ending credits to the "Lethal Flame"/"Icy Flame" that I think are very similar to this whole Brain nonsense.

Basically, just because something could even be official doesn't mean it's unpunishable. Even pros are still human, something might be canon and still be a bad choice.

No one has any idea what is coming so you can’t really save because it’s unpredictable what is coming and if you spend your Jewels you might then feel awful when the next banner has a medal/s that you’ve wanted for a long time.

Yup. My current statement on the entirety of Ux is that I have no idea what's going on. Story is nonexistant, gameplay is a mess and the "this game is still free2play" grows thinner and thinner with each banner, since while I can indeed still plow through whatever excuse of story updates they've been giving these past few months have shown the challenges with 1000+ lvl bosses in 30 seconds are where the game's at, and good luck with any of them if you've been lagging behind.
The only thing I'm looking forward is the Larxene edition of this new Org XIII stuff that I assume will be in December, so I'll save just for that.

Such a shame. I'm still a huge fan of regular X as its own story and I also still kinda like Back Cover for what it's worth. But Union embodies everything nay sayers of the series have been saying all along.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
They actually fixed the Icy Frame a long time after that issue without telling anyone lol. And they never fixed “Missione”:
Dbiv5wRUQAEtckC

If there is an actually legit reason for Brain to be his name, they either need to add quests that show us why he is named that or tell us. Either should be done ASAP because if they want me to accept ‘Brain’ then they need to provide reasons why.

And don’t get me started on timed quests lmao. Wasting 4 seconds with “engaging target enemy” and 3 seconds for “enemy defeated” to appear really sours me.

Alja

Brain is dumb and should never be accepted as an actual name. From how talked up season 2 was to the reality of how disappointing it actually is, alongside their clueless answer about Special Attack Bonus / Guilt, I do not trust anyone at the event calling him “Brain”. For all we know, Nomura said “Blaine” but they kept translating it as Brain because they have made some ridiculous choices that they can’t even explain away.
But isn't the thing that Brain and Blaine probably sound very similar, if not exactly the same if pronounced by a Japanese native speaker, especially if they currently speak Japanese instead of English? Whichever it is, Blaine or Brain, they very likely took that specific name and put it into Katakana (?), the same way they must have done for Ephemer(a), Skuld and Strelitzia, since they're all names/concepts in a foreign language. Taken that into consideration, I do believe that "Brain" must be legit, unless there was a HUGE misunderstanding going on on that panel lol.

However, I definitely agree that we NEED to see Brain deserve his name in the game play. I will admit that the way he struts around the MoM's study and easily uses his instruments pretty much warrants the name already if they keep this characterization of his up. It was only one cutscene, but he comes off as the "brain" of the lot, the one who takes action, if you want to call it that, even questions things (such as their rules). But yeah, it would be really nice to see the Union Leaders do something. It's been six months since they last appeared in JP, what the heck? I know the story won't be resolved by the time KH3 releases, but either they will keep this horrible pacing and just not care (I actually wonder how the pacing will be in the first months after KH3's release lol, as if the people who got the game would spend time on KHUX then...), or three months before release, they will suddenly shoot out the story updates like crazy to prepare us for whatever prior knowledge we need. Can't wait for SENA catching up 7 months after KH3's release :rolleyes: Thank GOD we at least get all the banners... not.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They completely avoided mentioning Blaine/Brain's name altogether during the panel. Just a heavily guided discussion towards the "spelling is important" line, which felt very disingenuous. The only time it was directly acknowledged was by Glacie during last week's SE Mobile stream.

For the record, I don't doubt that they intended for the name to be Brain even though we all agree it's an awful name. And the translators are well-informed of localization changes so if Nomura were to answer with "ブレイン" during the panel, they would automatically substitute with "Brain". But I just don't buy it with the obvious scripted answer they gave, the bullshit explanation of Guilt/Special Attack Bonus, and all the typos they keep making with new updates. Doesn't exactly set a good track record.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back