• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► D23: Details on Rapunzel's Hair, Rare Heartless and Other Development Information

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

The Japanese side of IGN have released their D23 report, which contains a few new tidbits about Kingdom Hearts 3. @MysticDistance on twitter translated these tweets and, thanks to them, we have some more information about the development of Kingdom Hearts 3, as well as the colossal effort to get Rapunzel's hair to work.

New KH3 info:
-Footage of the Tangled world took a long time to show due to process of rendering Rapunzel's hair
-Rare Heartless will appear in KH3.
-Mickey's Giantland is in KH3 in some way.

The article also states that the Tangled world had many private houses and shops, and that there were many NPCs walking across the city.

At least 80 employees at Square Enix are involved with the BG modeling for Kingdom Hearts 3. Studios from overseas are also involved, making this the most extensive modeling team in the series thus far.

Nomura states that it took a lot of time to render Rapunzel's hair. Long-haired characters are harder, and in development, the hair would float up in the sky.

In the video, Rapunzel's hair is used in the environment of her world. It floats in the wind and falls down when there are steps. Her hair can also wind up towards a tree. Nomura jokes that this is "the most persistent hair in a game yet."

Rapunzel's hair has been programmed to react accordingly to the terrain in the world.

There was no specific information on how "Giantland" will appear in KH3. A simple image with the text was shown during a development video, but there's no specifics as to what its involvement in KH3 will be.

Nomura states that Rare Heartless will be an important element in KH3, and that there are specific missions prepared. They can be distinguished by the top of their heads and can be defeated with specific tactics.

According to the development team, "This 'Kingdom Hearts' title is in a league of its own." in regards to the brand new gameplay elements.

No specific details on the last stage in Kingdom Hearts 3 were revealed, but Nomura and developers refer to it as something they have wanted to since when Nomura was developing FF. They state "anything is possible" and that it could be a culmination of everything up to now.

Final thing to add to this: Gummi Ship exploration now takes place in a 360 degree space akin to an open world with a "Battle" and "Exploration" phase. Customization also returns and is richer in content than ever before.

Once again, thank you to @MysticDistance for translating these. We are currently working on full translations of the IGN article.

Giantland is a Disney short from 1933. It is a Mickey Mouse version of Jack and the Beanstalk. Kingdom Hearts has a history with using old Mickey Mouse short films, such as Timeless River compiling various shorts together to make an entire world, and Julius, the secret boss from Dream Drop Distance, was taken from Runaway Brain (1995).

In the Kingdom Hearts 3 D23 trailer, we got our first look at Kingdom of Corona team mates Rapunzel and Flynn Rider. Flynn uses a frying pan in combat, but Rapunzel uses her hair to her advantage. We saw her swing around trees to do damage to the Heartless. It is impressive just what Square Enix has pulled off!

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Re: D23: Details on Rapunzel's Hair and Other Development Information

Yeah its been almost 3 years since they first said she would be a party member right? And they finally got her hair working lol, I'm glad it worked out so great. Her combat looks so unique. Also definitely confirms she isn't getting her hair cut at the end of the world lol.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards

I hope we can get HD screens of Rapunzel and Fynn soon. It's hard to make out how they look...even with 1080p it isn't clear enough. Her hair is still gonna be braided, wonder how much her gameplay will change.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

I hope we can get HD screens of Rapunzel and Fynn soon. It's hard to make out how they look...even with 1080p it isn't clear enough. Her hair is still gonna be braided, wonder how much her gameplay will change.

Oh yea the braid does still happen...I could honestly see her undoing it before anymore combat takes place lol, but its hard to say.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: D23: Details on Rapunzel's Hair, Rare Heartless and Other Development Information

Updated the OP with some more information, such as the Rare Heartless and Mickey's Giantland.

Habimaru

Oh yea the braid does still happen...I could honestly see her undoing it before anymore combat takes place lol, but its hard to say.

That's pretty much what she does in the TV Show, yeah

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Re: D23: Details on Rapunzel's Hair, Rare Heartless and Other Development Information

Updated the OP with some more information, such as the Rare Heartless and Mickey's Giantland.

WHAT

That's so vague! Is it a part of Disney Castle??? Or is it like superboss against the giant? Those are the two things that jump to me immediately, and I would love either tbh.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards

Can't be another world can it? Though i really doubt they'll just causally say a new world like that. I have a hard time imagining how it could work.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

They haven't said what form Mickey's Giantland would take. It might be a world like Timeless River, or it could be a boss like Julius from Mickey's Runaway Brain (1995).

Qiesamuel

I don't like the idea behind Giantland becoming a world since it would remind me of Timeless River (I hate that world in KH 2). If it turns out to be a secret boss like Julius in KH 3D then I'm okay with it. There are so many better Disney animated movies to choose as a world.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

For those who didn't know, like me, Giantland is a Mickey Mouse version of Jack and the Beanstalk.

[video=youtube;57b8llB6TGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57b8llB6TGc[/video]

Roxs0r

[video]https://youtu.be/cn1AMOmcPy8[/video]

In this video they mention certain minigame that apparently looks like an old game & watch game. Maybe that's where the Giantland stuff takes place?

Last edited:

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

In this video they mention certain minigame that apparently looks like an old game & watch game. Maybe that's where the Giantland stuff takes place?

Oh yeah, I did see that earlier...there is definitely little bits of info floating about we still don't have clarification on ha. Like apparently the new UX world was shown but no one is saying what it was? Except that its not in KH3.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Mickey's totally going to become a Heartless, discard his body and time travel to Giantland to form an anti-Org.

But seriously, I love it when they toss us anything ancient Disney. It'll be a welcome addition, whatever incarnation to counterbalance some of the more modern references we have.

kaidoku123

Something he wanted add since he worked on Final Fantasy.... maybe Midgard/FF7 World (If that happens... the entire fandom might explode tho...)

Roxs0r

Making%20of%20KHIII%2018.jpg

I knew it!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Something he wanted add since he worked on Final Fantasy.... maybe Midgard/FF7 World (If that happens... the entire fandom might explode tho...)
It sounds more like he has something awesome planned for the setting / some gameplay for the final world - not necessarily a Final Fantasy world. What he is putting in KH is an ending area that he wanted to put into Final Fantasy.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

i confuse isnt the graveyard going to final level on less tat semi final level

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

i confuse isnt the graveyard going to final level on less tat semi final level
The fated land is where the battle should be fought. What happens after and where they go though...

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

The fated land is where the battle should be fought. What happens after and where they go though...
you dont mean the actall kingdom hearts the place got swalloed by darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back