• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► d r i f t i n g

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

sallyji22

Website
little-cactus.spaces.live.com
Summary- This takes place before Roxas looses his memories and winds up in Twilight Town. Emerald is a new addition into the plot her world was corrupted by heartless and that's where out story begins.

Disclaimer- I do not own Kingdom Hearts or it's characters.

Where is this place? Who is he? Why am I drifting?​

Chapter 1: The Slaughter

I feel heavy, but I’m not cold anymore. It’s warm in here. Where ever here is… My eyes are closed but I can still see. Who is he? It’s dark out, I can picture the surroundings in my head. There are dark buildings outside and nobody’s around. Why is he dressed so oddly? How do I know it’s even a boy? Something just tells me so. Everything blacks out for a second then the weight on my body is gone. Just like that. What had happenned? Why am I here? Who is this boy watching over me? Where is this place?

A millions questions run through my head and I finally come to. I open my eyes I think I could see better with my eyes closed. Everything is a blur, I’m on a hard bed in a badly lighted room and a black figure in a trenchcoat watches over me. I just blink my eyes in an attempt to clear my sight. He knows I’m awake but stays silent. Somethings not right… This isn’t home, he isn’t someone I know—I remember now.

“Emerald wake up! We have to get out of here!” my brother’s voice calls out from the dark. He pulls me out of bed, I can hear them now. The pained cries of the other inhabitants of my town.
“Cain what’s happening? What’s outside?” I ask, my voice shaking. He heard me but he can’t explain, he curses under his breath and picks up the basball bat. A swarm of black creatures crawl into my room from the window. Cain blindly swings the bat at it hardly hitting it at all. There’s a soft thump but more keep crawling through. Oh my god, they’re appearing from the ground!
“Shit! How many are there!?” Cain’s loosing his patience. He kicks them off his leg, grabs me by my wrist and pulls me out the house. The city street is covered in corpses and the black creatures. No. Mom and dad are lying on the sidewalk, dead. Cain clenches his teeth and pulls me through the street I see no other signs of life. My mind is not present, my brother comes to a halt and I snap back to the horrifying nightmare called Reality. A dead-end.
“Cain…” I know the creatures are right behind us. I gulp and turn around and at that exact moment they jump towards us. Within seconds I’m tied to the ground by these things, I can hardly see but Cain’s limp body is right infront of me, not you too… I’m going to die, just like everybody else… There’s a gust of wind and the monster’s are blown off me. I open my eyes see a figure dressed in a black trench coat with stange weapons. He’s holding two swords that look like keys, a black one and a white one. Without any notice the air in my lungs seem to be pulled out in a nano-second, and I can’t breathe…

“Thank you… For saving me,” I finally managed to say in a quiet voice. “It was you right?” I ask. But what I really wanted to ask was, “What happened to everyone else?”
“I’m sorry… You’re the only one that,” he pauses. “The only one I managed to save by the time I got there…” he trails off.
“Oh,” is all that comes out of me. How heartless I must seem being able to say just “Oh” when he’s told me everyone I know is dead. Heartless… That’s what they were?
“It’s Emerald right?” he asks as he pulls back the hood revealing his face. He seems around my age. He has blond hair that kind of sticks up and cerulean eyes that show no emotion. He isn’t being heartless though, something tells me he doesn’t have a heart. Literally. I feel pity for him and come back to normality. “I heard your brother mutter your name as he…” he didn’t go on. We both understood anyways.

It’s been nearly a week since I’ve stayed in this bed. Roxas, the boy who had saved me from the slaughter, came to check on me every two hours or so. He seems to be pretty busy for a boy living in a town that seems to have no other inhabitants in it. I started to wonder last night, did the same thing happen here? Also, What’s going to happen next for me? I should ask less questions I know but it really worries me…

Roxas explained everything about the heartless to me, they’re supposed to be monsters created out of the darkness in people’s hearts. It’s said that lately they’re corrupting whole worlds instead of just individuals. What shocked me more is that this place, The World That Never Was as Roxas mentionned it, is a completely different WORLD than my own. I thought reality consisted of the planets and the universe but there are worlds that are completely disconnected from my world. Some of these worlds sound very interesting, an underwater world where mermaids live, a world where cards are soldiers serving a queen and so many other interesting ones too! I wonder what Roxas will teach me about today. Cain used to—Oh, Cain…

(A/N)I'm sorry it's so short, I will try to update ASAP. Please review. I apologise for any typos or grammar faults.

Last edited:

sallyji22

Website
Summary- This takes place before Roxas looses his memories and winds up in Twilight Town. Emerald is a new addition into the plot her world was corrupted by heartless and that's where out story begins.

Chapter 2: Solitude

I stare at the blank ceiling not sure what’s going to happen to me next, can I trust him? Roxas? He has been quite nice to me ever since but how can I make sure HE isn’t in pact with the bad guys? I can’t, that’s what! I feel so defenseless, but I know all I can do for now is see where all this is taking me, I guess. I look out the scratched window, it’s hard to see since it’s been scraped so badly from the outside. I wonder why… Then I spot a dark figure walking towards me. Finally, I thought I’d die of boredom! It’s fun listening to his stories everynight. Wait… Is it even night? I could have day and night mixed up completely since it’s always dark out. The door creaks causng me to snap out of my thoughts.
“Hey!” I sat up in the bed and try to get up but my foot twists and the side of my ankle hits the ground. Oww. Roxas quickly catches me to prevent me from falling ciompletely and coming face-to-face with the ground but not quick enough to prevent further swelling of my ankle. “Owie… Thanks,” It justs occurs to me how close his face is to mine, he does too. I think he’s blushing, he ducks his head and sits me back down on the bed.
“Are you alright?” he asks in his usual monotonous voice. I nod trying to hide the redness on my ankle by pulling the sheets over me. A little too slowly though, I think he noticed. He pulls the sheets off my legs and examins my ankle. “Sorry.”
“It’s not your fault! Besides I’m alright really! It’s still better than being attacked by Heartless back then…” I won’t go on, I’m trying to forget the whole incident. Cain’s expression as he died or mom and dad’s bodies laying on the driveway. Roxas seems to understand, but he seems so… Heartless, like he lacks emotion. How can that be?
“I haven’t told you about the Nobodies yet have I?” He asked as he put an ice pack on my ankle.
“No, what are they?”

I miss mom, dad and Cain. I want to go home, I want this to be just a dream. A nightmare that I’ll wake up from and mom will assure me it’s all just a bad dream. But they’re gone and nothing’s going to ever bring them back. There’s a ball in my throat, I can’t stop the tears from coming out. Why am I like this today? Will something bad happen? I give in to the tears and cry freely, Roxas probably won’t be here for a while anyways. My shoulders are heaving I can’t even breathe properly. It’s been a while since I knew they were gone but why didn’t I cry then? Why now? The door clicks shut. The tears have distorted my sight.
“Are you alright!?” I feel two hands rest on my shoulders. “What happened!? Are you hurt!?” I can’t say anything the lump in my throat makes sure I don’t speak a single word. I think I heard a hint of surprise and worry in his voice. That’s the first sign of having a heart isn’t it? Emotion? So, can I trust him? I think so. I hope so… He quietly wraps his arms around me and I rest my head on his shoulder. Why is it that he reminds me of my brother all the time? Because he decided to not get there quick enough to save him?

I’m done crying now, I really don’t know why I did. But it feels better now that I got that out of my system. But it’s still awkward right now, why? I’m stil envelopped in his arms. The door creaks revealing a man with read spiky hair in a black trench coat. Roxas and I spring apart and the other man raises an eyebrow.
“She’s the one you were telling me about?” he asks as he closes the door behind him.
“Axel,” Roxas starts, the other man, Axel, cuts him off.
“I’m pretty sure even your friend here would rather you stay and take care of things instead f having me step in halfway. Right?” he turns towards me.
“Me?” I point to myself. I regret it as soon as the word escapes my lips. I couldn’t have asked a stupider question.
“I was planning on telling you, until I, well, I found you crying…” Roxas pulls up a chair next to the bed. “To the organization I’m more of a tool for gathering hearts. They use me instead because I can wield the keyblade. And what happened to your home…” his voice diminishes. “The organization has actually set heartless loose in different worlds so I can go about and round up hearts for them and your world was just one of those. I’m not just going to stand around doing what I’m told anymore, if it means letting, no killing, millions of innocent people that have nothing to do with it.”
“Heroic,” Axel claps. “In other words he’s leaving and probably going to get himself killed. Nobley, of course.” He looks at me and all of a sudden I fell like I’m being pressured into trying to stop him something…

“You should go,” I say trying to sound like it doesn’t bother me one bit, but it does and I can’t deny it. “If it’s something you feel you must do you should. You know what they say, ‘Follow your heart’. Besides I think I should be apologizing for all the troubles I’ve caused you in the past month.”
“I… You’re welcome,” he looks at his feet, I try to smile and it takes just as much effort trying to pick up a truck. “Thank you.”
With that he walks off, the last memory I’ll have of him will be him walking away, his back turned to me not looking back, not even once. Wait, what am I telling myself? Nothing had happened anyways. Did it?

“Shit! Come on Em!” Axel burst through the door. It’s been quite a while since Roxas “left”. Axel had taken quite a liking to shortening my name to Em instead of saying my whole name. He says it’s ‘too long’. Sure, just because my name has three syllables.
“Why? What’s happening?” I jump off the bed and zip up my boots.
“Shit, I though we’d have more time. They’ve found out already. They know Roxas left something—sorry somebody behind. They’ll use you as living bait once they get their hands on you!” A black hole (an oval really…) materialized behind Axle and he nearly throws me into the darkness.

I pick myself off the cold ground and look around. Betwixt and Between, I think he just said. He points his finger towards another tear in the atmosphere.
“Once you’re through there you should find yourself in another world. Since I promised that I’d take care of you I’ll come check up on you once things settle down back here. Alright? Now skedaddle!” He shoves me into the tear.

Where am I now? Home? Was that all just a dream? It all seemed so real… I open my eyes and the haze fogging up my sight starts to dissappear. The room looks like an attic of a cylindrical tower. What’s with me getting to all these weird places?

“I see you are awake,” I turn my head to get a view of the person, to notice an old man dressed like a... Wizard? He clasps his hands together. “It seems you have reached this place through a dark portal. You seem to lack the experience to have done so yourself. Would you mind for an explanation?”
“Well… I…” Can I tell this person? I need to make up something, quick! “My town was attacked by these little black things and I, uh, found myself in this weird place and there was a black hole and then I, uh.. Fell? Into it?” I say hoping he’ll believe.
“Do you want to protect someone? Something? Do you want the power necesarry to defend?” he asks as he strokes his beard. “I could give you the opportunity, train under me as my apprentice. You could be the ultimate weapon to the Nobodies or the greatest defense for the kayblade masters. Either way it will not be an easy path.”
“Pardon me?” What the heck is this old geezer talking about.
“I know all of your troubles, the young man from Organization XIII and your own sleeping strength.” He sounds, wise. Somehow like he knows…everything. Roxas? How does he know about him.
“First I’d like to know… Is he alive? Can you tell me?”
“Only you can answer that question, I can give to the logic and experience to answer your questions.”
“Alright, I’ll train.” Did I really just say that?

(A/N) Thanks for the replies guys, I'm nearly finished the 3rd chappie. I'm sorry if it's a little OOC.

sallyji22

Website
Sorry, my computer doesn't have spell check. It does but I can't turn it on.
Also Sorry for not updating, I was in France for a little over a week now and chapter 3 is finished but I e-mailed thelas half of it to myself. So it'll be up as soon as I get home! This is also on www.fanfiction.net As with my pther fics. Thanks for the reviews, and one last time: Sorry!

sallyji22

Website

Chapter 3: Déjà vu

It had been quite a while since the old wizard had taken the girl in as his apprentice, she caught on quickly, quicker than anyone else he had taught so far. On the other hand she seemed to have a shorter concentration period than any others also, but her determination was quite impressive really…

“It seems we are expecting a few guests, the key-bearer and his friends,” the old man said as he stroked his beard. Emerald looked up from the thick book. ‘Key-bearer? Could it be him?’ she closed the book and placed it on the shelf. “Very well then, call in the faeries for me.”
“Of course!” she said still lost in thought as she hobbled off towards the door. ‘Could it really be him? No that’s impossible!’

“Oh look dearies, if it isn’t Emerald!” the talle fairy said as she got off the chair. “So how do you think you’re fitting in? It isn’t too difficult is it?”
“Of course it isn’t any hard for her Fauna! If she wasn’t capable of lasting the training sessions why would have Master Yen Sid took her in as a apprentice!?” Merryweather, the stout fairy in blue, spoke in an agumentative fashion.
“Now now girls, let’s hear what Emerald has to say,” The un-official leader of the fairies, Flora, turned to her with a smile. “Now what is it you need dear?” she asked in a warm voice.
“Oh right! Master Yen Sid that the key-bearer will be paying us a visit,” she stepped into the room.
“Oh why of course! We’ll prepare in here you can take a break for the day,” Emerald smiled in appreciation and headed into her room. The attic-like room in the tower. She pulled out her wallet from her pocket, took out the photo and discarded all the other things inside. She had completely given up on goming back now. It seemed so impossible now that she had read about the Past, Present and Future. The photo was placed on the small wooden table, it diplayed Cain, herself and Cain’s friend who she kind-of-sort-of liked at the time.

How long had it been? She had sat there for as long as she could remember practicing the Magnet element. She had mastered the Cure element and was doing pretty well with the Blizzard and Thunder elements. Fire was a toughie though, she had burnt her hand slightly the last and first time she had tried it. ‘Maybe when I improve.’ She had told herself.
"Is something wrong?" the brown-haired boy questioned after he noticed she was observing him intently. He had a weird feeling, looking at her made him want to cry and smile at the same time. What in the world was going on here? Then she shook her head making it obvious that she had chased away whatever thought that was just now, she smiled and he did too. 'What's up with me today?' Sora turned to the doors. "Guess that's where I should go to uhh, get changed huh?" she said nervously. This wasn't like him at all, he was never this nervous. But then again he had been feeling strange the whole day... When Hayner, Pence and Olette came to say goodbye to him at the station.
"Yeah! Then off you go!" the green-haired girl replied as she stepped aside for him to enter. Then he smiled and disappeared into the other room. Emerald looked back to the closed doors. 'Roxas... Where are you now?'

"Sora," Yen Sid said getting his attention as Donald, Goofy and Sora stared in awe towards the Gummi Ship.
"Yes?" he turned. "uh Sir" he added hastily as he saw the look Donald was giving him.
"I would like to ask you to take me pupil, Emerald, to Hollow Bastion," he said calmly as the girl looked up in surprise. Sora turned to face her and they both shrugged, why? They didn't quite get it themselves either why she was being sent away. "To understand the worlds fully you must SEE what is out there, books and words are one but is noting like experiencing these events first-hand," as Sora noticed the uncertainty in her face he smiled.
"Yeah! Come with us it'll be great!" Sora said as her took her hand.
"But remember, this boat runs on happy faces!" Donald piped up.
"Gwarsh, you're right Donald! We won't get anywhere if ya look all mellannolly like that!" Goofy added.
"Melancholy," Donald corrected.
Sora decided to try the same thing that Donald and Goofy had done to him when they first met him. "Yeah! Come on let's see your happy face!" he said as he tried to peek at her face as she was bent down looking at her feet. She began to shake a little. Was she crying? What did they do? "Umm..." then all of a sudden she burst out laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back