• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Curvy VS Fat

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
imo you should learn to accept yourself the way you are.

it's kind of hard when people say things like this:

I wish they can just be honest with themselves and use words like grotesque,obese, landwhale. I find honestly most attractive and will respect them more for being level headed and not a delusional manatee.

now don't get me wrong, but i don't think anyone would ever in their right-mind would want to call themselves any of those terms. i'm not sure if you're joking or not but it doesn't really matter because there are people who genuinely feel this way and it's hard for ANYONE not just a male or female to deal with weight-issues and self-image. hence that girl may have been pissed when you said curvy because it implied weight in some form or another.

now, you tell me a curvy woman looks like that model that someone posted earlier. i sure as fuck don't look like her but i'm not skinny. i truthfully don't know what i am. and i hate to be the one to bring this up, but how can i be happy in my own skin if someone's comparing "curvy" (apparently a good thing to be) to a model.

essentially, weight tends to a woman's most sensitive issue.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
ideally i don't think anyone whose is under 6ft should weigh 200lbs or more unless they are an athlete or have some sort of health complication.
And because I fall under this category, I think this is kind of dumb to say. You don't know what their body type is, their lifestyle, etc. And don't exactly have a right to dictate what they should and should not do, either, but hey. Not to mention the differences that usually arise when comparing a woman and man's weight of similar height.

I don't eat that bad, to be honest. I exercise just about every day, too. And yet I am an even 200 lbs at 5' 10". And, as I've said, people constantly tell me that I wear it well, that it evens out on my body. I'm okay with my weight, I just want clothes to fit me. That's it. If I could go into a store and not come out near empty handed and feeling worse about myself than when I went in, that'd be great.

Last edited:

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I don't think people should be overweight because it's unhealthy and I think it makes for a worse/shorter life, but I also don't particularly care what they do because it's their life and if they're comfortable with it, then that's their business and that's cool with me.

The difference between curvy and fat is pretty definable and I think it's been covered well enough in this thread. The problem with the situation in your OP, Eva, is that this woman won't recognize the difference between the two because she isn't comfortable with her weight. It's not really your fault for using the word curvy, it's kinda her fault for taking it to mean the same thing as fat, which is clearly not what you meant. I feel like I'm gonna get some flack for this, but I'll take it.

Shawty

Awards
it's kind of hard when people say things like this:

now don't get me wrong, but i don't think anyone would ever in their right-mind would want to call themselves any of those terms. i'm not sure if you're joking or not but it doesn't really matter because there are people who genuinely feel this way and it's hard for ANYONE not just a male or female to deal with weight-issues and self-image. hence that girl may have been pissed when you said curvy because it implied weight in some form or another.

now, you tell me a curvy woman looks like that model that someone posted earlier. i sure as diddly don't look like her but i'm not skinny. i truthfully don't know what i am. and i hate to be the one to bring this up, but how can i be happy in my own skin if someone's comparing "curvy" (apparently a good thing to be) to a model.

essentially, weight tends to a woman's most sensitive issue.

It's definitely not easy, I've been targeted for being too skinny so I know how hard it is, but it's not impossible. Anyone can build up confidence, for some it takes longer but eventually they will get to a point where they are happy with their own skin. If that's not the case people can always help you get there.

I agree with you about the model thing. Yes she is curvy, but that doesn't mean all curvy women are shaped like that. You don't have to have a flat stomach to be curvy. When I think of someone who has a curvy body type, I think of Marilyn Monroe. She didn't have a perfectly flat stomach either.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
^ to add to what he said: getting in shape is 25 % training, and 75 % is watching your diet. And that's basically eating the right things. So, in other words, you can train a shitload of hours, if you're not eating right, you won't get the results you want.

Now, on-topic: curvy and fat are definately two entirely different things.

Fat is being overweight, whereas being curvy isn't. Being overweight is extremely unhealthy, whereas being curvy isn't unhealthy per se. It all depends on your diet. Curvy will often be seen as attractive, whereas being overweight won't be (in most cases).

What's most important, though, is how you feel about your shape. If you feel perfectly fine in your body, then why change it? Just know that if you are indeed overweight, that you'll have to accept the consequences. If you think that you're overweight, though, first of all reflect upon that and question yourself whether or not you are actually overweight.

If you do decide to get in shape, go to a nutritionist/dietician first to make sure what's best for you in terms of diet (like I said, 75 % of your results will come from a good diet) and get a personal trainer to oversee the physical training. These personal trainers will often have basic knowledge of these diets, but that doesn't mean they're nutrisionists/dieticians, bare that in mind.

But yeah.. fat =/= curvy

Last edited:

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
The whole curvy/fat thing is pretty sexist anyways and only puts more expectations on a woman's body.

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
The whole curvy/fat thing is pretty sexist anyways and only puts more expectations on a woman's body.

get out of here razzle dazzle....

but in all honesty, i agree. it's still pretty interesting seeing what some of the guys here have to say about the matter.

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
no one expects anything

you go on a date and you expect a person to look or act a certain way. there are always expectations.

you can't sit here and expect me to believe that no one expects me to look a certain way. you know who places the worst expectations on me, especially about appearances and weight? my mom. yeah.

but people expect skinny, curvy, and fat to look a certain way. hell, people here have voiced their expectations for fat or curvy (aka 200lbs and under 6ft). they have expectations.

moonstar_xo

Weight problems can sometimes be genetic, so even if someone exercises regularly and eats a healthy diet, they could still be overweight. Losing weight is also really difficult for some people. So being overweight isn't always a result of being lazy; sometimes people's bodies just end up being that way.

And even if a person's being overweight is the result of an unhealthy lifestyle, so what? If it's not affecting you, then it really doesn't matter. If you don't find it attractive on a person, don't date him/her.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
It's definitely not easy, I've been targeted for being too skinny so I know how hard it is, but it's not impossible. Anyone can build up confidence, for some it takes longer but eventually they will get to a point where they are happy with their own skin. If that's not the case people can always help you get there.

I agree with you about the model thing. Yes she is curvy, but that doesn't mean all curvy women are shaped like that. You don't have to have a flat stomach to be curvy. When I think of someone who has a curvy body type, I think of Marilyn Monroe. She didn't have a perfectly flat stomach either.

For most of my life (except the last year and a half or so) I was underweight. It was terrible. Nothing I did made me gain weight. I'm 5'0, and have been since I was about 14 or so. At one point I weighed 88 pounds (39.9 kg per google) and people constantly commented on how skinny I was. It's gross how it's not socially acceptable to tell someone how fat they are to their face but it's perfectly alright to ask someone if they have an eating disorder.

On the opposite scale, October 2011 I started using a hormonal birth control and at my peak weighed 118 (53.5). I was a bit chubby, still in normal range, but I felt fat. I was self-conscious all the time, especially because I was used to being so skinny. And even now at 108 (48.9) I still stress over feeling chubby, though this is the most content I've ever been with my body. But it's absurd and makes me angry.

Like Shannon was saying, even "plus size" models are still models. They still have the "perfect" body shape, just a bit bigger (that girl still has a flat stomach). I think a real solution would be to portray women with lumps and bumps and rolls in all the wrong places so girls wouldn't feel so alone or like a failure because their body doesn't fit one standard.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
DOUBLE POST BECAUSE THIS IS A TOPIC I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT

I also think that people have an incorrect view of the media's influence on how women view their bodies. It is not so much the media pushes that "this standard is attractive" but more it reinforces the idea that "this standard is what's normal." Television, magazines, movies, ads portray, generally, one type of woman. Like the Doll Maker that Elle posted before, you could change the hair and eye and skin color, you could dress it up in different clothes, but that foundation was always the same. When girls are only ever exposed to one structure of woman, they associate that with normalcy. Anything that deviates from that standard deviates from normalcy. So it is not even "I am not beautiful because I don't look like that" it is "I am not normal because I do not look like that."

The problem is that we equate television/etc media with real life. If everything you were exposed to growing up that masqueraded itself as a reflection of reality showed people with three arms, even if the majority of people did not have three arms, you would see three arms as being correct. And if you had two arms, you would feel "incorrect."

(off topic: People of color face the same dilemma because the media is predominately white. So white, at least in western nations, is seen as "the default" skin color).

also gosh sorry if that was all jumbled SO TIRED.

Shawty

Awards
DOUBLE POST BECAUSE THIS IS A TOPIC I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT

I also think that people have an incorrect view of the media's influence on how women view their bodies. It is not so much the media pushes that "this standard is attractive" but more it reinforces the idea that "this standard is what's normal." Television, magazines, movies, ads portray, generally, one type of woman. Like the Doll Maker that Elle posted before, you could change the hair and eye and skin color, you could dress it up in different clothes, but that foundation was always the same. When girls are only ever exposed to one structure of woman, they associate that with normalcy. Anything that deviates from that standard deviates from normalcy. So it is not even "I am not beautiful because I don't look like that" it is "I am not normal because I do not look like that."

The problem is that we equate television/etc media with real life. If everything you were exposed to growing up that masqueraded itself as a reflection of reality showed people with three arms, even if the majority of people did not have three arms, you would see three arms as being correct. And if you had two arms, you would feel "incorrect."

(off topic: People of color face the same dilemma because the media is predominately white. So white, at least in western nations, is seen as "the default" skin color).

also gosh sorry if that was all jumbled SO TIRED.

I agree so much. I'm going to talk about Tumblr here, because I feel like it needs to be said. I see so many pictures of for example Victoria's Secret models, other models who are skinnier than most ladies out there, and the captions I see underneath the pictures are incredibly sad. Things like ''I'll never look like them'', ''I wish I looked like them'' ''They're so skinny they're perfect'' etc, I could go on for days and this is not even the worst I've seen. Sure, they're beautiful but they do set the wrong example of beauty. I've even seen pictures of girls with their hipbones out, ribcage noticable and collarbones sticking out way more than you would see on the average woman. Again, the captions are like this. It's really sad, because women come in all shapes and sizes, yet model-like thin or even thinner is portrayed as normal. If you're, for example, shorter and thicker, like you said they won't see themselves as normal.

But, there's also another side I see on there. Thicker girls, curvy girls. They will also say the same things about those girls ''They're perfect'', etc. When they stumble upon a picture of a skinnier girl they will bash them for being too skinny, being too flat everywhere, etc because curvy and thick is normal to them. Both are wrong in my opinion, because like I said, women come in all shapes and sizes, there is NO such thing as ''the perfect body'', and there is no such thing as an ''abnormal body''.
Kind of crazy when I type this because when you stumble upon someone who has their story to tell about being overweight, they will be praised for standing up to people and being proud of themselves (which is a good thing, absolutely) but when an underweight girl does it they will bash them for being an attention seeker. Ah, girls.

Both these types of girls will try anything to achieve one of these types of bodies, because they think that is normal, it's something you have to do, which I think is really sad. Sure, it's okay if you want to be healthy, if you want to exercise and want to follow a healthier diet, but some take it to the extreme. And like I said before, unless your health is in danger you absolutely need to do something about it.

Fortissimo

But, there's also another side I see on there. Thicker girls, curvy girls. They will also say the same things about those girls ''They're perfect'', etc. When they stumble upon a picture of a skinnier girl they will bash them for being too skinny, being too flat everywhere, etc because curvy and thick is normal to them. Both are wrong in my opinion, because like I said, women come in all shapes and sizes, there is NO such thing as ''the perfect body'', and there is no such thing as an ''abnormal body''.
Kind of crazy when I type this because when you stumble upon someone who has their story to tell about being overweight, they will be praised for standing up to people and being proud of themselves (which is a good thing, absolutely) but when an underweight girl does it they will bash them for being an attention seeker. Ah, girls.

Both these types of girls will try anything to achieve one of these types of bodies, because they think that is normal, it's something you have to do, which I think is really sad. Sure, it's okay if you want to be healthy, if you want to exercise and want to follow a healthier diet, but some take it to the extreme. And like I said before, unless your health is in danger you absolutely need to do something about it.

Yes! Thats because women are controlled with compliments and criticism. If you compliment her, she will stride for more and adjust what she needs to, to fit the image people expect of her. If you criticize her she will change her self to stop the criticism and gain compliments. This is just in general obviously, but yeah.

Personally I just think we should just mind our own damn business and let people care about themselves. If they want to change their appearance (weight) its their decision. Don't be calling them "Land whales" and "grotesque" because comments like that can be more dangerous than ANY weight.

And for real, some people just can't loose weight. One of my best friends is over weight. She's been to nutritionists, personal trainers, doctors whatever. She just can't loose the weight. Her only option is surgery and she doesn't want it. She's perfectly healthy, but she goes through hell not only because people make fun of her, but people care constantly worry about her health. They make it sound like she's going to die so instead of trying to deal with her body and how people obsess over it, she's stressed which probably doesn't help. Still, there are moments when she is perfectly happy with her body. I'm glad she can have pride in herself.

I myself was overweight through highschool and then my ass went to art school and I learned what starving artist means and droped a shit ton of weight. I'm still technically "overweight" according to the BMI but dammit if I dont look amazing. I never really cared that I was overweight I just knew that food tasted good and I was going to have a big ass no matter what because of my ethnicity. People always told me I was curvy. But "Venus of Willendorf" is curvy so ???????????????

Passion said:
but people expect skinny, curvy, and fat to look a certain way. hell, people here have voiced their expectations for fat or curvy (aka 200lbs and under 6ft). they have expectations.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Raz said:

50 shades of yes.

BUT BACK TO THE PONT
I think curvy has a lot to do with what you wear. Unless you go walking around naked, the clothes you wear can alter your body shape very easily. You can wear all types of shit that can change your body shape into whatever you want. Not the size, shape. You can wear a flowing robe and have no figure at all, or you can wear a tight jumpsuit or whatever and bam, body figure.

KevLoui

Define skinny. Because when I come across the term skinny, I picture this;

is-miss-universe-too-skinny-15597-1240595258-4.jpg

To be honest... This is just nasty. The worst part is, that I cant even explain to you why its nasty, it just is. 'Curvy' pretty much defines all girls with abit of meat on their bones. But you also have to consider that fat to you, may not be considered fat by someone else.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Ok before I say this I want to get something clear; I don't think that if you're overweight you are in anyway a bad person

Now that's out of the way, is it just me or does it seem like there's a growing idea among overweight people that being fat is not a "bad thing"? Because I don't care if you're fat and don't care or overweight despite your most sincere efforts to lose said weight; being fat only hurts you; especially in the medical sense.

And for those of you who are overweight despite trying to lose weight, I'm not trying to come off cruel here, I think it's great you recognize a problem and are trying to fix it. I'm just trying to address those who are trying to convince the world that being fat is ok and tell them that they're delusional.

Also I'm speaking from a perspective of a person who is trying to lose weight and get in better shape. At one point i was 5'10, 200 and 30% fat, so I feel I understand those thoughts

But yeah just something I thought of spurred on by this thread

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What is bad about being overweight if you are comfortable being overweight other than health issues?

It isn't so much of being fat, or curvy, or whatever is okay, but more being comfortable with yourself and being happy. If it isn't a risk to your health, there's no need to lose weight. If a doctor told me, "you need to lose weight or you'll die" I may be a bit more worried, but right now, I'm fine being whatever it is I am.

Last edited:

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
the real question is who cares and why (it always astounds me when men think they have access to discussion of the merits of a female's body...like she asked you bro or even cares lmao)
the sad part is a lot of girls do care.

there are much worst things than being fat; your size has no bearing on the merit of your intellectual or creative capacity which many insecure people who are bankrupt in both will attack
it certainly does have bearing on people's perception of your self control.

Some say ''real women have curves'', but I have to disagree with that.
I am so fucking sick of seeing "REAL MEN/WOMEN LIK/DUU DIS". Much like your example and that macro I keep seeing being shared on Facebook: "Real men like curves. Only dogs go for bones." Fuck you very much. No one gets to define what a gender does and does not do. People can do as whatever they fucking want.

What is bad about being overweight if you are comfortable being overweight other than health issues?
if you're asking my opinion, and i know you didn't, it's because fat people are like dead pixels. it's just ugly shit no one wants to see.

now before everybody loses their shit at me, just remember who i am. and now that we've clarified that...

i am, and always have been and always will be, an advocate for people to do whatever the fuck they want to do with their life. if you want to be fat and as rotund as possible, gorge away. that said, people who do choose such a lifestyle need to own every single consequence of that lifestyle and accept that not everyone will be as accommodating of those life choices. this isn't like being gay. for the majority of people being fat is a choice. maybe not a present choice, but it is a choice nonetheless. so if your ass doesn't fit in an airplane seat, your ass needs to pay for two. if you can afford to eat twice the recommended daily intake of an average adult, you can afford to pay twice for the size of clothing considering the material could cover two people.

also, the social expectations of women's bodies? it's not just women. what was the biggest movie of the 2012? the Avengers. fuck, i couldn't look like Chris Hemsworth or Evans if i tried.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

It isn't so much of being fat, or curvy, or whatever is okay, but more being comfortable with yourself and being happy. If it isn't a risk to your health, there's no need to lose weight. If a doctor told me, "you need to lose weight or you'll die" I may be a bit more worried, but right now, I'm fine being whatever it is I am.

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis. People literally come in many shapes and sizes and some don't actually need to adhere to a standard society set for people's bodies. Some do need to change, but it should only ever be a matter of health and happiness resulting from good health, more than anything else.

Keyblade

I agree with Annoyance. Of course, exercise and a healthy diet are encouraged but they should be for you. But cookies and sweets are awesome, so of course we should all be satisfied with what we eat/how we look but it probably won't happen.
As a recovering bulimic/anorexic, I do encourage being comfortable with who you are but I totally understand how hard it is. I think the worst thing ever is when someone's all "omg yeah be happy with your body!!11" and then five seconds later, "ew. she's fat."
But seriously, if the worst thing someone can call you is fat, that's not good. Fat shouldn't be a synonym for ugly. Fat, after all, is a nutrient.
But no, there is a different between curvy and obese. But obesity should only be a problem if you're scared for your health. If you're happy and comfortable, sweet!

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
This is one of those "fat acceptance" sites A mentions on the first page of this thread. Shapely Prose. I actually find it pretty interesting.

Raz said:
Passion said:
get out of here razzle dazzle....

but in all honesty, i agree. it's still pretty interesting seeing what some of the guys here have to say about the matter.
Given the responses that basically define the terms by "what guys like to see" vs "what guys don't like to see", I'm gonna have to agree with that too. Not that there couldn't be other definitions of the terms (and some have been proposed on this thread), but that first image -underwear model vs unfortunate picture in a bar (unfortunate for reasons completely separate of weight)- got that first criterion out there pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back