• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cure for cancer?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

~B-ST~

This morning I woke up to some guy talking up nano tech. and how it is somehow curing cancer; then I fell back to sleep. Thinking that I was only dreaming I looked it up!

: Prevent Disease.com - A Nanotech Cure for Cancer?

my response was pretty much nothing but a dignifying "Oh shit theyz found a cur' fo' canca'!"

xxJonxx

Somehow I find this not true, it is to soon for a cure for cancer. Maybe they found a way to make it less aggressive.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
Too soon to find a cure?

Is there a specific date and time you expect it to happen? Awfully cynical, especially without any real cause.

If you read the article, however, they are very plainly admitting that it has to be secured and integrated before real results can be shown, but I'd say it is a step forward. To this date, we couldn't even hypothetically say we can cure cancer.

xxJonxx

I have the feeling that a cure for cancer will come, but no soon.

Alaude Drenxta

Any specific reason why, or are you just underestimating the sudden leaps in modern science over the past few years? A keen eye will see that many things have changed since man first began to dream of the "flying car". The military has been testing a viable "hover tank" for the past couple years. It works, but the energy supply is a major issue, as well as the safety of implementation.

xxJonxx

The reason is greed. Did you know that they found a Gene of Cancer but it was bought. So when people use this gene you have to buy it for millions. However the gene has an owner who is the one that carries it but she does not get any money the company that bought it. Cancer is something we have to work on but greed will not allow it and also all the money we are giving to the military. We do not have the money we need, Also what is happening with the Economy is making it go even further down the drain.

Alaude Drenxta

I'm going to apologize before I even say what I'm about to say.

What the hell are you talking about? It seems like you posted that just to point out every flaw you could think of that has anything to do with money or the government. What does military spending have to do with cancer research? Do you not think they would make more money selling the cure than they would hiding it? What sort of crazy person are you?

xxJonxx

Its not that I am crazy but just search about the Cancer Gene. Someone bought it and it requires people to pay to use this gene for cancer. Also have you seen what is happening so many cuts have been made on health. Google search Cancer on news and just read the articles. Dude if you know about life then you know most of it involves money. A cure will come but not now! Also cancer is something important to me and that is why I read a lot from it since my mom has Breast Cancer.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
So you are basing this on your shitty opinion on the human race. Pass.

It doesn't sound too out of this world. A cure would be awesome. But what would impress me more would be a way to prevent cancer.

xxJonxx

Its not a shitty opinion of the human race, its by reading books, watching documentaries. Sorry if I offend people with my opinion but this is something I believe from reading and studying.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Ahhh...Rice University.

A cure will come but not now!
It's already coming.

Houston is one of the best places to go for cancer treatment, so this doesn't come as a surprise to me.

I know people currently working on finalizing a cure for cancer from a protein.
My mom's best friend is a doctor at MD Anderson in downtown Houston and is currently working on the case, that apparently has already been proven effective, and they're working on perfecting it.

I'd say it isn't too long now.

Last edited:

Alaude Drenxta

I find it ironic that you tell him to research it when it's obvious you haven't done it yourself.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Did you know that they found a Gene of Cancer but it was bought.
We were even very close to a cure once, but a research facility housing the tests burned down some years ago, I believe.

But I'm sure we'll get there soon this time.

Also have you seen what is happening so many cuts have been made on health.

Uhh this is more the Obama Administration's new policies that doctors want absolutely no part of, because they will make less money.

xxJonxx

I find it ironic that you tell him to research it when it's obvious you haven't done it yourself.

I find it ironic that you actually say something that you know nothing about.

Do you know that there is different genes for cancer.
That you need to use the Hallmark of Cancers.
http://www.weizmann.ac.il/home/fedomany/Bioinfo05/lecture6_Hanahan.pdf
Here is an article and read and then say something.

Do you even know the cell cycle of cells.
That the cell cycles is why Cancer is dangerous.
Cancer and the cell cycle. [J Cell Biochem. 1999] - PubMed Result
Here is an article educate yourself more.

Also if you need more of an education on cancer there is
Pubmed most colleges use it as their research.

Also you can educate yourself even more by going to my teachers website and reading her articles about cancer.

Maggie Louie, Ph.D.

Dr. Maggie Louie currently teaches Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biotechnology. Her current research is focused on understanding the development and progression of hormone refractory breast cancer.

Educational Backgound

Teaching and Research Interests

My dissertation work was focused on understanding the role of the coactivator, ACTR in breast cancer proliferation. The desire to teach has always been a significant part of my motivation to pursue a higher education and a career in academia. My teaching interests and philosophy have been shaped through my experiences both as a student and as an instructor for several colleges and universities, including San Francisco State University, Dominican University and San Francisco City College. My role in the teaching is to facilitate and empower my students to learn. Teaching is not only for the students, but also a learning experience for myself, for I enjoy and greatly benefit from it. In 2005, I accepted a full-time tenure track position at Dominican University as an Assistant Professor because it offered me the opportunity to do the two things that I enjoy the most in my life (other than my family): to teach and to research. I hope to use my research as a tool for training my students to think critically and also to develop scientific theories.
My current research is focused on understanding the development of hormone refractory breast cancer. Breast cancer is one of the most common malignancies that occur in women in the United States. Breast cancer results from the abnormal proliferation of the cells in the mammary gland. The normal growth of mammary gland epithelial cells is modulated by the circulating levels of estrogen, a hormone produced by the ovaries. The activity of estrogen is mediated by the estrogen receptor (ER) and thus serves as a key prognostic marker in breast cancer development. Breast cancer can exists as either estrogen responsive or estrogen non-responsive cancer. Majority of breast cancer initially develops as hormone dependent-cancer in which growth and progression of the cancer is modulated by the action of estrogen. Hormone responsive cancer is typically treated with hormone ablation therapy or endocrine therapy to block the ER. Although success has resulted from such treatments, the cancer often develops into a more aggressive, hormone independent phenotype. The mechanism of how hormone independence develops is not clear and my current research is focused on understanding the mechanism of how hormone-refractory breast cancer develops.

Professional Organizations

Selected Publications

1. Li, L., Louie M.C., Chen H.W., Zou, J. Proto-oncogene ACTR/AIB1 promotes breast cancer cell invasion by up-regulating specific MMP expression. Cancer Letters 2008 Mar 8;261(1):64-73

2. Fussell, J. and Louie, M.C. The Impact of the Golden Gate Bridge on Marin County Suicide Statistics. BIOS September 2008

3. Louie M.C., Revenko, A., Yao, J., Zou, J., Chen H.W. Direct Control of Cell Cycle Gene Expression by Proto-Oncogene Product ACTR, and Its Autoregulation Underlies Its Transforming Activity MCB May 2006. 26:3810-3823

4. Louie M.C., Zou J.X., Rabinovich, A., Chen H.W. ACTR/AIB1 functions as an E2F1 coactivator to promote breast cancer cell proliferation and anti-estrogen resistance. MCB 2004. 24:5157-5171

5. Louie M.C.,Yang Q.H., Ma A.H., Zou J.X., Kung H.K., Chen H.W. Androgen-induced recruitment of RNA polymerase II to a nuclear receptor-p160 coactivator complex. PNAS 2003. 100(5): 2226-223

6. Lee L.F*., Louie M.C.*, Yang J., Desai S., Evans C.P., Chen H.W., Kung, H.J. Interleukin 8 confers androgen independent growth an d migration in LNCaP: Differential Effects of Tyrosine Kinases Src and FAK. Oncogene 2004. 1-9

7. Louie M.C., Kondor N., and DeWitt J.G. Gene expression in cadmium-tolerant Datura innoxia: detection and characterization of cDNAs induced in response to Cd2+ Plant Molecular Biology. Plant Molecular Biology 2003. 51(1): 81-89

Awards & Honors

So your saying that my teacher is wrong a cancer expert.
Wow where is the irony now.

Dont say something you cannot back up.

Alaude Drenxta

I don't have to back it up, especially since I haven't said anything.

Also, copying and pasting a bunch of websites doesn't prove you know what you're talking about, and it has nothing to do with what I responded to.

Therefore, your attempt to pretend you know what you're talking about has failed.
Nice job, ass wipe.

Pay a bit more attention in school.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Also, copying and pasting a bunch of websites doesn't prove you know what you're talking about, and it has nothing to do with what I responded to.
Pay a bit more attention in school.
I may not be involved in this but...
It seems you didn't really read, huh?

Those aren't a bunch of random websites or people (even if they were, she still has the higher ground in evidence over you..), she's talking about her teacher who's an expert in cancer. Someone that she actually knows.

Also, school only teaches you what the government wants you to learn. Learning outside school is important, or you'll just be an obsolete textbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back