• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Creative Writing Interview #1 - Annoyance

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Annoyance has been a member of KHI for nearly a decade, with a few breaks here and there. Having recently returned from a hiatus, she jumped headfirst into critiquing the works of others as before her break. She has also got right back into the fray of the Creative Writing section and taken the helm of the entire Creative Corner section as moderator. I had a nice chat with her the other night; here's what came of it.

Mirby: What started your interest in writing?

Annoyance: Well, I guess it was reading all the time, books or fanfics; didn't matter, but I was kind of a fangirl back in the day. I started helping my friend with this Fullmetal Alchemist fanfiction in my sophomore year in high school. Mostly just proofreading and commenting on it. I still consider it pretty good, regardless of it being kind of self-insertion of my friend, I even had a character in it and was working on making a comic version of it, but that dropped within two pages. Around the same time I began writing unheard whispers. It sort of went from there, really. Then I became really interested in senior year after taking creative writing as a class. I kind of got inspired and kicked into high gear around then.

I wrote some before this, of course, but I had no idea what I was doing. Unheard is the first thing I've written and was proud enough to show to people. I didn't really have interest in showing anyone anything I wrote as a kid. Actually, I took F grades on the times we had to write books in grade school. It could have been simple, but I was too ashamed or shy about them I threw them away before turning them in or even finishing.

Mirby: Not the first time my next question is answered by the first. So you still have the writing bug then, I take it?

Annoyance: Unfortunately I kind of lost it a year ago, I've lost all motivation and inspiration to write. Perhaps it's the loss of having a teacher to yell at me about it. My teacher really inspired me and wasn't afraid to tell me no. Maybe it's that, maybe it's not having my old writing buddy or, oh, jeez, I was VP of a writing club with her, too, I completely forgot about that!

Whatever it is, I just haven't had it in me to write anything original in a long while.

Mirby: Ah, I see I see. Any ideas on how to regain that motivation? Maybe another person to yell at you? Hehehe...

Annoyance: Lately, I have found more interest in giving in depth critique though. Though this is probably what brought the hammer down on my writing.

Mirby: That's a start.

Annoyance: I also want to start reading more again, books, classics. Going to school would probably also improve this but I'm kind of broke on that department hahaha.

Mirby: Yeah, I feel your pain there. Are you proud of what you've written already?

Annoyance: Pretty proud, though some of the things scattered around on the forums aren't that great. I'm probably only proud of unheard whispers and Need A Name.

The rest were more made to get a grade hahaha I fell behind in my writing class so I rushed a lot.

Mirby: Any writers on the boards that you like? Any that have works you enjoy reading? Are there any writers that you may like to collaborate with in the future?

Annoyance: Hmmm... Well, currently I'm kinda just running through the current writers since returning. I liked Siren's work a lot before, I haven't been able to read any of Nyangoro's stuff lately, but I liked his stuff a year ago, I'm sure it's improved. I honestly don't want to say because I haven't had a chance to see much. MegaWallflower was pretty good, I didn't yell at her too much hehehe.

Mirby: Yeah, she's cool.

Annoyance: I'm actually not sure about a collaboration, though that would be a lot of fun! I would probably go well with Passion's writing well from what I've seen of hers, Izayoi, Nyangoro, maybe. It's really hard to say right now.

Mirby: Who knows, that may be another way to get that motivation back!

Annoyance: Yeah, I think it's helping since through my critique it gets me like, "No! Do it like this!" And I get scared like, they're going to tell me, “Well why don't YOU write it then"

Mirby: Well, you're just doing what they ask you to do, right? No need to fear that.

Annoyance: Hahahaha, that wouldn't be so bad, I've rewritten stories before for people.

Mirby: Haha. Let's zoom out a bit here. Do you have a favorite author and/or book?

Annoyance: I really enjoy Oscar Wilde. I read The Importance of Being Earnest early in school hahaha. I just love his style, the way he analyzed things. Other books, hmm, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (which I also read early), Memoirs of a Geisha, John Dies at the End, Fight Club, I can't even remember. I'm also a manga fan, but that's kind of different.

Mirby: Oscar Wilde is awesome. I pretty much live by one of his quotes, "Be yourself; everyone else is taken." Those other books are great too. And yeah, manga is a little different.

Annoyance: Yes! I love him hahaha.

Mirby: I also love him because he was gay in a time when it was illegal. And he was convicted of it! For having an affair with the son of some British lord! Hehe.

Annoyance: Yeah he didn't give any kupos. He's a boss all around.

Mirby: Definitely. Last question now. What do you enjoy most about writing?

Annoyance: I love how different everything can be structured, I guess? I love word choice, flowing words together, just writing feeling and action together and showing character without even speaking. It's just a wonderful thing to me. With my reviews I just hope to show people how important these things are, how great they can make their writing. I know I'm not perfect, and no one is, but I hope that with my help, at the very least, they can get a little closer to the perfection that we all aim for.

Mirby: Sounds good to me. Thanks for your time! I'd shake your hand but there's the small problem of the internet between us. Hahaha.

Annoyance: Blasted thing.

Mirby: Accursed technology!!

Annoyance: How about a high five?

Annoyance: o/

Mirby: \o

Annoyance: YEEEEAAAAH!

And so ended our interview. I had a great time, and stay tuned for more interviews, right here in the Creative Writing section. If you'd like to read some of Annoyance's works, you'll find them handily linked below, along with her previous interview. Until next time!

Sabrina has written:
unheard whispers [A fanfic]
Need A Name [A short story]
Hearts [A script]
Game Over [A short story]

Previous interview done in Dec. 2010 by Solar

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back