• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Could Dreams Have a Meaning? Part II

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devious

I posted a similar thread back in 2005 when I was but a freshman in High School. My grammar... Had much to be desired... So I'm going to try again, but with a different dream that I personally had.

The previous thread I made was about a dream that has guided me in my personal thoughts on The Grim Reaper. Whom I am greatly interested in.

Dream:

I was in what is known as The Great Saltair in Salt Lake City, Utah. The thing is, I had never been there before. For some reason I was frantic, I don't know why, and my vision and my senses were wigged out for some strange reason. I walked past several people before I woke up.

Now, this is the real even that ties in with this. It was strange, because it was immense deja vu.

I was in The Great Saltair for my first time. It was a rave, and I was rolling (doing ecstacy) for my first time. Don't worry, for it was my last time as well (most likely). I was looking for my friend Pierce, who had somehow vanished from me and my friend Zack during the scuttle of people and the amazing beats that were playing. My senses were inhanced and "wigged out" as they were in my dream. I was in the same exact place as I was in that dream several months prior to the rave. After going through a group of people, and passing a pole that triggered the deja vu, it hit me. I had dreamed this before. I quickly found my friend Zack, just 5 yards from my current stand-point, and told him of the deja vu. We were frantic, we had been searching for him for an hour. Half an hour later... He had Overdosed on Ecstacy because a girl slipped a pill into his mouth via her tongue. The methamphedamine in the pill counteracted with what he had taken at the beginning of the rave and caused him to seize. His face is the thing that is keeping me from doing ecstacy again, the scariest thing I have seen in my life...

The point of this is as my thread topic states. Could dreams have a meaning? Last time I posted this I had some replys that were interestingly put. But the majority were scientific suggestions that would disprove my idea. That post was about a dream that was fictional, tied together with other dreams of other people. This was about deja vu that I had months later.

So I ask again: Could Dreams Have a Meaning?

Disclaimer: I do not wish to influence the use of drugs with this post. I am merely using it in this post to amplify and compare what I dreampt and what I experienced. Please do not think that I condone the use of drugs such as ecstacy, I was experimenting and am clean of illegal drugs/narcotics since that experience.

evil_kenshin

greatest of the ungratest
I've had a few dreams that are coincidences or something like in one dream,such as i dreamt i got bitten by a huntsman (a fairly large spider here in Australia) and the following day, my mum asked me to remove a huntsmen that she said ran across the dashboard of her car (taking the hint from the dream, i just left it alone lol)

Infinity's End

ars gratia artis
You dream so much that coincidences happen more often then most things, you have 100 dreams a night, so it's just a matter of time until one of them makes sense by and odd coincidence

Tailing Ichigo, following his many exploits!
Website
z6.invisionfree.com
Same, i've had a coincidence like that. I dreamt that i was in a room from school, that had computers and the like, and i was sitting on the table and the guy who i had liked came and sat next to me and leaned on me.

Next year....
Surprise surprise, turns out he is now in my computer classes, and all my elective classes =.=;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dreams can have different meanings, or could be anything absoloutely random.
So, i think sometimes they can have meanings. Or maybe we're secretly gifted psychics ^-^ or most likely not >>;

I usually have dreams with coincidnces in them @_@;

evil_kenshin

You dream so much that coincidences happen more often then most things, you have 100 dreams a night, so it's just a matter of time until one of them makes sense by and odd coincidence

umm no, you don't have a 100 dreams a night, more like 6-10 (depending on the age of the person), just cause your asleep doesn't mean you dream, its only in a specific part of the sleep cycle

and sometimes things are more than coincidence

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Dreams have meaning. The meaning, however, has nothing to do with premonitions or visions. They are controlled completely by your own thoughts and subconscious. It is the brain's way of organizing thoughts, feelings, and ideas. Your "premonitions" are just your own conscious subconscious fears, expectations, or guesses on what may happen. There is nothing mystical about dreams. End of story.

Tailing Ichigo, following his many exploits!
Website
z6.invisionfree.com
Dreams have meaning. The meaning, however, has nothing to do with premonitions or visions. They are controlled completely by your own thoughts and subconscious. It is the brain's way of organizing thoughts, feelings, and ideas. Your "premonitions" are just your own conscious subconscious fears, expectations, or guesses on what may happen. There is nothing mystical about dreams. End of story.

So precise as usual SN. I agree with you. Sometimes, on the persons decision on something, example, they cannot like someone, this fact will be reflected into their dreams by their own subconciousness. And eventually what they really feel or want is shown in the dream by their subconciousness/feelings. I may or may not be right, but thats what i think, at least.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
So precise as usual SN. I agree with you. Sometimes, on the persons decision on something, example, they cannot like someone, this fact will be reflected into their dreams by their own subconciousness. And eventually what they really feel or want is shown in the dream by their subconciousness/feelings. I may or may not be right, but thats what i think, at least.

To expand upon this, dreams are not literal depictions of your thoughts and feelings. They are abstract representations of those thoughts. Things are usually represented by common archetypes. For example, a person terrified of heights will often have dreams that associate any thoughts or feelings that illicit some kind of fear with falling from great heights. Cultural values and views play into this a lot, too. Sex dreams, for example, are common in pubescent teens in the United States, because sex is very much associated with affection in our society. That's not to say that sex dreams are always based upon such feelings. You really have to examine the context of the dream and relate it to how you feel/felt about what thought the dream represents.

Cache

Deja vu is not real, so I'll skip that part. Can a dream have a meaning? Perhaps--it depends if you were actively dreaming, passively so, or if you are piecing together dreams that were unrelated. Generally speaking, I've found that dreams reflect emotional states--either warnings, reflections, or desires. Ultimately it's up to you to determine if there is a meaning in it all.

Davy Jones

I Believe In Harvey Dent
Website
crashkid77.deviantart.com
Dreams can control your movement, in a way. One dream I had was that I was reaching out to grab the Holy Grail. In the real world, My hand was reaching up, and when it hit the bottom of the top bunk I awoke to realize that I had been sleep moving. Dreams could be representations of anything. We may never know...

Devious

You've all presented excellent points to prove that dreams do not have a specific "supernatural" meaning. But I must rebuttal what I have stated. I dreampt of a crowd of people, with a pathway and a pole on the left, loud music that I could not depict, and lights of all colors. Months later, I am in the same position in which I stood in my dream. I had never been to this place before.

Though I understand the scientific point of view fully as I am a logical person. I would like to hear some ideas pertaining to the "yes" side of this ideal.

Last edited:

Cache

I had never been to this place before.

With all due respect to your dream and personal beliefs, that is not possible. It is much more likely that you have seen similar places that you did not recall, and your mind tried to establish a commonality where there is none. The brain deceives itself all the time--it's one of the reasons conditioning (aka, brainwashing) is so effective.

Remember that your brain's most active role is to establish similarities. When you look at the words you're reading, you don't remember the years in grade school that taught you how to read--you just do it, because the brain remembers the symbols. You can look at a variety of chairs and know with certainty that they are chairs--even though no two may look alike--because your brain has established that pattern before. It's really no different when it comes to 'deja vu'--the mind attempts to fill in the blanks and sometimes it just gets lucky that something similar has been either seen, imagined, rationally created through deduction, etc.

Devious

I'm aware of the patterns of the mind. But your point about the similarities of the dream and the true event do coincide. It's interesting and does present a good arguement. As I have not deduced much on the "supernatural" point of view on such a topic as this, I am open for ideas and would still like to see a possible "supernatural" explanation just to feed a possible debate.

Cache

I am open for ideas and would still like to see a possible "supernatural" explanation just to feed a possible debate.

Okay.... magical pink bunnies do it. In all seriousness, if it is supernatural (and don't get me started on THAT epic fail) then it just is. No one can explain it, or detail it, or identify commonalities in it--it just IS. The only real debate is if it is, or is not. In absence of evidence to support the pink bunnies the only alternative remains that it does not happen.

Devious

Indeed Cache, I am not implying that it does or does not. If someone truly had a view on the "magical pink bunnies" that cause the dreams, I would love to hear it. I presented this thread for the sake of seeing both sides. There is no evidence to prove that it is "supernatural" but then again, there is no evidence to disprove it either, making this discussion so controversial. Realize that we only use 10% of our brain (common knowledge today) and that 1% more could open more gateways of intelligence and possible ESP.

I do not wish to stir bad attitudes, I just wish to see something out of the ordinary from those who believe otherwise. I am not siding with either on this because I have my own views and do not wish to disclose them until a decent argument is made on both sides.

evil_kenshin

Indeed Cache, I am not implying that it does or does not. If someone truly had a view on the "magical pink bunnies" that cause the dreams, I would love to hear it. I presented this thread for the sake of seeing both sides. There is no evidence to prove that it is "supernatural" but then again, there is no evidence to disprove it either, making this discussion so controversial. Realize that we only use 10% of our brain (common knowledge today) and that 1% more could open more gateways of intelligence and possible ESP.

I do not wish to stir bad attitudes, I just wish to see something out of the ordinary from those who believe otherwise. I am not siding with either on this because I have my own views and do not wish to disclose them until a decent argument is made on both sides.

actually thats a misconception, while true we only use 10% of our brain, its that we only use it at one time, not that we can't use the other 90%, while true if we could use a 100% of our brain at the same time, that would be a bit interesting to see what could happen

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
What Kenshin said. The 10% was based on an erroneous, or perhaps completely made-up, statistic. We use *all* of our brain. 5% for eating, 5% for walking, another 10% for talking, and things like that.

Devious

Good to hear, I thought that 10% was fishy from the god forsaken day I heard it. I never bothered to look against it since I never thought I would say it again. That was a few years ago, and I think my Psychology teacher was a moron... But that is not the point, let's stick with the topic.

Savior of Dawn

Leader of the Dai Gurren Brigade
From what I generally say when it comes to 'meaning in dreams' is that it's like fortune telling. In fortune telling (Tarot cards, etc.) they will present very vague descriptions of whatever you requested to be read, and the person who's being read to connects personal experiences/thoughts to the vague descriptions. Sometimes it doesn't work, often times there'll be at least one thing that does.

Same applies to dream. Random images, feelings, ectetera, are produced while the body is resting (I can't remember if they really know why the brain does this, whether its to simply occupy it or for some other reason). Anyways, many a time the dream will be related to something you've been thinking about very often (Since it does produce random thoughts, and if you've had many about something, one's bound to show up). After you've awaken (if you remember it) you'll likely connect that thought to the other random objects produced and get a meaning out of it. Whether or not this is true entirely depends, just like fortune telling.

Crimson-Eyes

Where ppl r compared to monsters, where u can get
Website
myspace.com
Huhhh.......a dream is a simple palpatation of the mind that palpatation is read in by your brain as a coincidential event occuring that never really occured that way your inner psychie thinks it really happend. This matter has aready been proved by Milton Haynes a brain surgeon/psychic membrane doctor. He dipicted a....blah...blah....blah. Basically dreams aren't real(赤目)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back