• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cosplay and costume thread!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Lol, this true. I think I might want to cosplay as a guy since I do happen to have a masculine appearance somewhat.
You still wanna wear make up and stuff to contour and sharpen up what needs to be sharpened up [jaw line and whatnot].

I haven't cross played myself, but it seems like fun. Just be careful with binding and stuff [say no to ace bandages]

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What is so bad about ace bandages?
From what I know, and what I have read, Ace bandages are to be avoided due to the fact that they're meant specifically to constrict and hold down what they're wrapped up on. They don't allow the breasts to really flatten, but squish down inwards, and unfortunately, down onto the ribcage, constricting that, and resulting in you losing breath which is super important to do. Breathing is good.

Binding bras and tops are much more recommended, as they allow room and flatten much simpler, and comfortably. It's important to do research on companies you buy from as well, as quality is important with this matter. Again, breathing is good.

And it should be noted that binding is not an all day thing, you want to take a break, and also not wear the binding for your first time more than 30 minutes. It's something to get used to, and gradually work up to maybe 5 hours.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
From what I know, and what I have read, Ace bandages are to be avoided due to the fact that they're meant specifically to constrict and hold down what they're wrapped up on. They don't allow the breasts to really flatten, but squish down inwards, and unfortunately, down onto the ribcage, constricting that, and resulting in you losing breath which is super important to do. Breathing is good.

Binding bras and tops are much more recommended, as they allow room and flatten much simpler, and comfortably. It's important to do research on companies you buy from as well, as quality is important with this matter. Again, breathing is good.

And it should be noted that binding is not an all day thing, you want to take a break, and also not wear the binding for your first time more than 30 minutes. It's something to get used to, and gradually work up to maybe 5 hours.

That's good to know, but it'll be hard to find something for my breasts, they are pretty large.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That's good to know, but it'll be hard to find something for my breasts, they are pretty large.
There are still binding bra options for larger sizes, believe me. I've seen over D cup breasts get flatted properly and safely in many cosplays. Just do research and be safe. If you feel uncomfortable or short of breath, get out of it.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
panda_mheetu_by_ienzo628-d815toz.jpg
This is my kitten, Mheetu cosplaying as a Panda.

Talarox

Re: Cosplay thread!

Looking for people that make full size keyblades ... I want to cosplay Young Xehanort for Expo and you can’t buy his keyblade it seems :(

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well this isn't really a shop but a discussion area...

There are multiple sellers on etsy, ebay, and several cosplay sites that will take commissions. if you find a cosplay artist that actively spits out decent keyblades, maybe you can talk to them?

you have to understand though, that props of any degree, especially something intricate like a keyblade can be... it will be pricey and you'll have to pay for their time, service, and supplies. this can add up really fast and you may disappoint them a bit when you back out immediately after their estimate or try to argue.

you also want to be careful of scammers like i've run into, but i digress...

If it were not so complicated for a first time prop maker, I'd suggest possibly making it yourself and improving and learning the skills necessary to make others. i don't know your skill level, though. if you think you can do it, i highly recommend it. it'll be a challenge but it'd be worth it over all. you'd learn a lot from making this thing, no joke.

Talarox

if i had the time or the skill with my hands i would make it myself. i'm well aware of rough prices anywhere between £300 and £600. There were a few i got in touch with but they said they had made a few of the particular one and didn't want to make more which is fair enough. I have nerve problems in my hands. I can't keep them steady enough to make this sort of thing even with the time. UK ebay has almost nothing. will try esty and cosplay websites though. thank you.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
Does anyone know where I could find guides on making patterns? I want to try making a cosplay but I can never find anything for larger cosplayers. I want to attempt making the High School jacket and neck tie for Cardcaptor Sakura but I have no idea how or where to start?

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Does anyone know where I could find guides on making patterns? I want to try making a cosplay but I can never find anything for larger cosplayers. I want to attempt making the High School jacket and neck tie for Cardcaptor Sakura but I have no idea how or where to start?
Yaya Han has fabric patterns for cosplay including school uniforms I believe. I think they're at Joann's?

If you can't find one in her patterns, ask an employee to help you find bigger sizes for what you're looking for. Bring reference pictures.

I'm thinking of cosplaying as Strelitzia. Any idea on what fabric to use?
I'd need to know who this is from because google just gives me flowers. Regardless, you kind of have to experiment with fabric. Also if this is your first cosplay I recommend getting help.

Kagayaki

Awards
I thought about posting here from now on because Cosplay.com is full of dicks. I got bitched out at by one of the most prominent members of the forums for saying I wished I could afford a serger and for saying that I found some cheaper sewing machines that could work for me. She said that she was sick of my constant downer attitude and accused me of dismissing her advice. No one else responded but only one person, another prominent member, agreed with her. And when I tried to defend myself, the forum asshole who hasn't been banned yet made a joke out of my post because everyone else has moved on. ...But I don't try to be negative all the time. I do remember helping some people. But they didn't give a shit about what makes me happy, so.

You really can't blame some people in the cosplay community for feeling insecure about how they look in their costumes or their craftsmanship skills. Over the years, cosplay has become more mainstream (maybe not just mainstream, but lauded), and with that came arbitrary standards. Sadly, these standards are set by spectators who don't even participate in cosplay, or the few elitists who bitch out at you over the tiniest thing because they can't handle stress well. There was a time when there were very few standards, but I probably wasn't even born yet.

That being said, I wonder if it's okay if I commission most of my cosplays for now. I don't have a lot of apartment space, and I get mice, especially in the winter. My next costume is going to be the Cendrillon version of Hatsune Miku.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I absolutely recommend commissioning if you're short on time and want to support fellow cosplayers [like doing it privately rather than buying it from a store]. If you're short on money, trying to find a store online that will custom make it for your sizes and whatnot is probably the best. Cheapest option is just like... regular sizing options.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...kw9G5MEBAgSi6dqJ7C7Md6Yw&ust=1503301875948442

Also do you mean this one?

Kagayaki

Awards
I absolutely recommend commissioning if you're short on time and want to support fellow cosplayers [like doing it privately rather than buying it from a store]. If you're short on money, trying to find a store online that will custom make it for your sizes and whatnot is probably the best. Cheapest option is just like... regular sizing options.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...kw9G5MEBAgSi6dqJ7C7Md6Yw&ust=1503301875948442

Also do you mean this one?
No way can I do regular sizing. I'm out of range from most stores. Although, I do support the idea of closet cosplay, which I have done before. But I didn't know how hard it could be to find just a pink cardigan! (For Nico Yazawa)

Hey, what if there was a store that was NOT from China that sold only plus size cosplay? I'm pretty sure it would sell. Of course, The Cosplay Police would have something to say about it, but F them.

Actually, I'm trying to get the other illustration from the PV: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GxiD8...p_dUCFQvHAwodolQJwTIGcmVsbWZ1SK3Xp4ijooqkkwE= It's been a long while because my commissioner had so many other projects before mine. And now I'm too creeped out to go to Con + Alt + Delete, and I can't afford Youmacon this year. But it might be ready in October, so maybe I'll wear it for Halloween? :/

But next year's Matsuricon has the theme of mideveal fantasy, so I could just wait for that...

Edit: I reserved a hotel room at the Hyatt Regency Columbus for next year's Matsuricon. Early bird pre-registration is going on now, but of course I didn't hear about it until after I spent most of my money already on rent, groceries, and skincare. Pre-registration is $35 now and ends September 9. After that, I don't know how much it's going to cost, but I probably won't be able to buy a ticket until November. But I heard it was a good con. There's just some issues with security and autographs. But I don't go to conventions just to make trouble. And I actually don't want that many autographs for some reason. All I ask is to not be bullied again.

Last edited:

Kagayaki

Awards
I don't mean to bother you, but is Cosrea reputable? It's a Chinese based cosplay company, and some people have had problems with it, but they also have many beautiful photos of their products, especially detailed props. I'm thinking of ordering a Princess Aurora blue dress from them, which is a lot cheaper than Little Angel Secret.

Stevie Goodwin

Hi all I am planning on cosplaying as Sora. But the KH1 outfit on eBay is expensive.
What materials can I use to make a Sora KH1 outfit for cheap?

I know what to do. I need a red or tanktop and cut the sleeves. I need a blue belt. I have red shorts. Also i need a Black T-Shirt and a White T-shirt and i cut the sleeves off the Black shirt and cut the a part off the white T-Shirt. Would that work or i can buy the outfit on ebay?

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hi all I am planning on cosplaying as Sora. But the KH1 outfit on eBay is expensive.
What materials can I use to make a Sora KH1 outfit for cheap?

I know what to do. I need a red or tanktop and cut the sleeves. I need a blue belt. I have red shorts. Also i need a Black T-Shirt and a White T-shirt and i cut the sleeves off the Black shirt and cut the a part off the white T-Shirt. Would that work or i can buy the outfit on ebay?

Sora's outfit from the first game is honestly a harder one because of how wonky it looks in real life. Like honestly I've only once seen a good Sora KH1 cosplay... The one piece zipper suit is mainly to blame with the big poofy umbrella shorts tbh.

I'd definitely do more research on websites to buy cosplay off of because some random guy on ebay also could scam the shit out of you.

As for your plan here... Cutting and modifying is a great way to make cheap cosplays for sure! However, you have to make sure that you're hemming up what you cut, otherwise you're a fraying mess because many of the fabrics used in say, commercial plain red t-shirts for example... they aren't meant to be cut up. Many fabrics will fall the heck apart the second you look at them the wrong way with scissors in your hands. So keep that in mind.

As a first time cosplayer, it's also important to do A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THIS. Try to look up tutorials on how to make the costume [I know there are plenty of cosplayers that run blogs on this method] for Sora specifically, see what they did. Many of them will have tutorials whether youtube vid or blogs.

Kingdom Hearts is NOT an easy thing to cosplay at all and I wish you the very best on your cosplay journey. If you also need any advice on wig choices, I know a Sora cosplayer that probably would give me what she did, but essentially it's a lot of glue and crying and more glue and patience.

Stevie Goodwin

Sora's outfit from the first game is honestly a harder one because of how wonky it looks in real life. Like honestly I've only once seen a good Sora KH1 cosplay... The one piece zipper suit is mainly to blame with the big poofy umbrella shorts tbh.

I'd definitely do more research on websites to buy cosplay off of because some random guy on ebay also could scam the shit out of you.

As for your plan here... Cutting and modifying is a great way to make cheap cosplays for sure! However, you have to make sure that you're hemming up what you cut, otherwise you're a fraying mess because many of the fabrics used in say, commercial plain red t-shirts for example... they aren't meant to be cut up. Many fabrics will fall the heck apart the second you look at them the wrong way with scissors in your hands. So keep that in mind.

As a first time cosplayer, it's also important to do A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THIS. Try to look up tutorials on how to make the costume [I know there are plenty of cosplayers that run blogs on this method] for Sora specifically, see what they did. Many of them will have tutorials whether youtube vid or blogs.

Kingdom Hearts is NOT an easy thing to cosplay at all and I wish you the very best on your cosplay journey. If you also need any advice on wig choices, I know a Sora cosplayer that probably would give me what she did, but essentially it's a lot of glue and crying and more glue and patience.
Okay, I found a tutorial on how to make the costume https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsDtMuRjmxA but do you know a link for other blogs that i can see for Sora?

Back