• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
iuvgMBDOP5fKy.jpg

In case you've somehow managed to miss it, this is the spiritual successor to Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" from the 1980s. This time, the series is hosted by one of the most charismatic icons of modern science, Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson. The show premiered today on FOX, and will also air on National Geographic tomorrow.

The first episode provided a great, generalized view of the history of the universe, presenting the audience with a quick look at the unfathomable scale in a remarkably fathomable way. Also featuring heavy is humanity's wonder of said universe, and the power of the curiosity that it inspires. This is represented in a look at the story of Giordano Bruno, who's used to demonstrate how even those who aren't scientists can still be so powerfully affected by the world around them that it changes how they look at things.

The CGI, while not the most technically impressive (you're never left wondering if this is a TV budget or not), is still quite the sight to behold. While the animation for the history scenes is a bit jarring by comparison, they never stray beyond said historical pieces.

In short, this is something not to be missed. If you are already super into science, then this series is probably just telling you stuff that you already know. But if there's one thing that it invariably does right, it's what it set out to do: Make the universe look and feel goddamn amazing.

If you missed the premiere, no doubt you'll be able to watch it once it's up on FOX or NG's websites, and probably sites like Hulu as well.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/604551#i0,p0,d0

Last edited:

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Started reading some of Sagan's work a few years back after watching Contact again, and watched his Cosmos series on Netflix. I'm less concerned with things like graphics and more excited for substantial information. I'm a fan of deGrassi as well, though, so I'll have to give this a watch later.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I don't know if NDT quite has the same immediately recognizable tone and charm that Sagan had.

But that doesn't mean he didn't rock this shit hardcore.

D

Deleted member 36435

I actually was not really a fan of the first episode.
overdone special effects to the point of scientific inaccuracy, ie: the gas on saturn (might be wrong planet) was way too lit, the asteroid belt was fairly inaccurate as well from what i recall. especially ironic when ndt is known for being as pedantic as possible.
the show presents everything as /fact/ which is kind of the point but when ndt says "that asteroid got pulled by that asteroid 6 inches to the left 13.8b years ago" as if he is speaking literally, which afaik he isn't, it sets the wrong tone. the *idea* being that seemingly insignificant events have a great impact is almost lost on the viewer the way neil said it, or the way it was written.
also, seriously a half hour for Giordano Bruno's story? I mean, yeah, the dude was one of the first free-thinkers but his significance doesn't warrant half an episode, imo.
hopefully it picks up but i was a bit disappointed.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I think the point of the first episode was less about the details (those'll come in later episodes) and more about conveying the sheer impressiveness of the universe. To that end, I think the focus on Bruno for the first half of the episode was appropriate. He's a non-scientist and religious person, making him great for showcasing how anyone (even those more spiritually inclined) can find the universe we live in fascinating.

That being said, I also hope that he'll get more specific in the following episodes.

D

Deleted member 36435

glad episode 2 was MUCH better than episode 1

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Yeah, they tackled the general scale and awesomeness of the universe as an introduction in the first episode, but now he can get to more specific (albeit still broad) topics and deliver them in a very appealing, digestible package.

I love that the show hasn't neglected how science can also be a spiritual experience as well. Especially in the evolution episode, it would've been so easy to devote part of it to mocking intelligent design, but they kept it exactly where it needed to be. They were condescending, but delivered their evidence, just as science is supposed to. And they made a great display of it as well.

That being said, I'm so glad that Tyson addressed the "it's just a theory" argument in such a direct manner.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I finally got around to watching the first two episodes.

I`m actually really enjoying the show so far. It`s really insightful, informative, and extremely creative with the visuals. My favorite parts were the animated segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back