• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Confusion with Sora being dumb

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcrown

Awards
I know this scene is a famous humorous one, but its' sentence structure has always had me confused.

Riku: Joshua.
Joshua: Nice of you to join us.
Riku: What happened?
Joshua: Trouble happened. I was hoping one of you could help.
Riku: When did Sora get here?
Joshua: Bravo, Riku. Why can't he be this quick on the uptake?
Riku: Yeah, well. Sora's a little...
(laughter)

With Johua saying "I was hoping one of you could help" would that mean neither of them had arrived yet, hoping one of them would appear to help? How could Riku deduce Sora was already there from this sentence? I don"t really know how the sleeping worlds/drop mechanism was supposed to work, so I'm just going off what Joshua had said. What am I missing? And does this prove I'm as dumb as Sora?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I know this scene is a famous humorous one, but its' sentence structure has always had me confused.

Riku: Joshua.
Joshua: Nice of you to join us.
Riku: What happened?
Joshua: Trouble happened. I was hoping one of you could help.
Riku: When did Sora get here?
Joshua: Bravo, Riku. Why can't he be this quick on the uptake?
Riku: Yeah, well. Sora's a little...
(laughter)

With Johua saying "I was hoping one of you could help" would that mean neither of them had arrived yet, hoping one of them would appear to help? How could Riku deduce Sora was already there from this sentence? I don"t really know how the sleeping worlds/drop mechanism was supposed to work, so I'm just going off what Joshua had said. What am I missing? And does this prove I'm as dumb as Sora?

If Joshua says "Nice of you to join us" and "I was hoping one of you could help", then I would guess Sora's there already, just like Riku does.
If I'm misunderstanding the question...sorry. xD

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
If Joshua says "Nice of you to join us" and "I was hoping one of you could help", then I would guess Sora's there already, just like Riku does.
If I'm misunderstanding the question...sorry. xD

I'd say that hits the mark pretty well. :)

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Ha, I don't think you're dumb. You might just be reading into it a little to deeply. Riku might've just assumed that Sora was already there, possibly because if it's a problem that's troubling even Joshua, whatever's going on would probably be taking place in both split versions of the town.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
With Johua saying "I was hoping one of you could help" would that mean neither of them had arrived yet, hoping one of them would appear to help?

Yes, because Joshua explained in their prior visit to Traverse Town that Sora and Riku are there because he dreamed them up. The best way to explain what that means is that Joshua, with all of his cosmic and Jesus-hack powers, is able to essentially call them when he needs them. He dreams it, and so it happens.

How could Riku deduce Sora was already there from this sentence?

"Nice of you to join us" implies that he's the last to arrive, so Riku just assumed Sora was there by the way Joshua said that first sentence and "one of you" paired with the knowledge that trouble finds Sora everywhere he goes lol.

(Also if we wanted to stretch things, Riku never arrives in a new world before Sora in the canon story flow of the game. It is always after or about the same time. Riku, as Sora's Dream Eater, should also have an innate sense of where Sora is at all times since he is essentially inside of Sora. It's all kinds of weird)

As for why Sora is dumb...well, it took Joshua needing to explain everything and say Riku's name to know Riku had arrived. Riku got it without even needing to know who Joshua was talking about.

redcrown

Awards
When he said "us" couldn't he have meant Neku, Shiki, Beat, and Rhyme? Which is what I always assumed.
And "one of you" meaning either being Sora or Riku.

If Sora was already in his one half of Traverse Town, why would he say "one of you" to Riku in the other? Who else is he expecting?

I already feel the idiocy radiating from my post. This has always flown over my head.

See it makes sense until he says "one of you could help", as if Sora wouldn't already be helping the moment he got there.

Last edited:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
When he said "us" couldn't he have meant Neku, Shiki, Beat, and Rhyme? Which is what I always assumed.

Cause neither of them were there with Joshua (I think?). Why would Riku "join" Joshua and, e.g., Neku who he'd never know or feel was there, as he did with Sora in the end? He has no connection to Neku. So it had to be Sora.

If Sora was already in his one half of Traverse Town, why would he say "one of you" to Riku in the other? Who else is he expecting?

Ugh. I'd say that depends on how you interpret his sentence. Maybe that's just adding to the "Sora is a little dumb" talk as in "Sora didn't understand (=help), maybe you will."

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

The phrase "Nice of you to join us" typically implies all others of a group have arrived, though.

Eh, I don't think there is much to be read into that part of the phrase. He was 100% expecting Sora and Riku. He's just being Joshua.

(Which is essentially being a snarky know-it-all)

Samcrux

You feel Sora is just now being dumb? Lawl Replay KH2.

Yes! It's exactly true! That's what made him entirely clueless on why the Organization had used him (till the climax of KH3D) as well as the true meaning of being a Keyblade Master (Riku totally deserved the title as he has renounced his dark past).:confused:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Yes! It's exactly true! That's what made him entirely clueless on why the Organization had used him (till the climax of KH3D) as well as the true meaning of being a Keyblade Master (Riku totally deserved the title as he has renounced his dark past).:confused:
Nah, Sora didn't know what the Org was really gonna do with the fake Kingdom Hearts because... well, no one else did either, aside from Xigbar and Xemnas. Unless those two spilled the beans on the plan (which they did in DDD) there was no way for anyone to know.

And Sora certainly had a decent grasp of what "Keyblade Master" is... it's an honorary title. A formality. We've seen that being officially recognized as a Master has little to do with your actual ability to save all of existence.

Anagram

Banned
Nah, Sora didn't know what the Org was really gonna do with the fake Kingdom Hearts because... well, no one else did either, aside from Xigbar and Xemnas. Unless those two spilled the beans on the plan (which they did in DDD) there was no way for anyone to know.

And Sora certainly had a decent grasp of what "Keyblade Master" is... it's an honorary title. A formality. We've seen that being officially recognized as a Master has little to do with your actual ability to save all of existence.
Sora grasped the title being a formality because even he noticed how stupid it was as a concept. Sora and Terra both are examples of bypassing it's "privileges".

Sora's stupid in KH2 for other reasons however. The Org plan wasn't one of them because that was one of those fun plot details they decided to throw in mid-game after ignoring overarching plot for the first half of the story~ =w=

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
What's wrong with using your fingers to count?

mickey: sora! we're surround by heartless! how many are there?
sora: *counts* ten
mickey: what?! are you sure?!
sora: yea i double checked

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
mickey: sora! we're surround by heartless! how many are there?
sora: *counts* ten
mickey: what?! are you sure?!
sora: yea i double checked

Why doesn't this even sound like an unrealistic dialogue? For Sora, at least...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back