• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

*CONFIRMED* Pinocchio World + Jump Scans

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Another one, closeup of Gheppetto:

AesSQWgCIAAIjbU.jpg:large

May make it easier to translate?

AesRoAcCQAAK5wG.jpg:large

AesR9cxCIAA-mMa.jpg:large

Mr Yippie

I notice a dream eater in that cutscene. Enemy, or do your dream eaters appear with you in some scenes?

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
Is that a boss in the background of the second picture? I see the same rainbow thing as was on the GoriLion.

I was wondering earlier what that was. Definetly looks like the panda dream eater`s paw.

Marx15

Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω
Looks like the evil blue Kuma Panda to me.

It's Sora's Big Panda.....doesn't anyone remember that these cutscenes were supposed to be different than in other games. Like you're supposed to interact in these cutscenes...or was that taken out? I remember them saying before that you're still supposed to have control during cutscenes.

Anyways, behind Sora looks to be a GAME ARCADE? I think they are expanding upon Pleasure Island, he and Pinnochio looks like they're under something.

Awards
Well, my point was, the difference in complexity to the renderer probably wasn't as big as it looked. =P

And what you're forgetting is the fact that you just don't know what the technical restrictions are. Maybe it's loading things into and out of memory, and sometimes doesn't have enough time to load the more complicated model back in sometimes. Maybe the other characters in the scene or the background complexity is higher and they can't show the HQ models because of it part of the time. You don't know the limitations of the PS2, or the limitations of the KH engine, and assuming that they could have done better and simply chose not to is unfair and disrespectful to the devs that spent years making the games.

Uh, ok? I could say that you don't know what the technical restrictions are and chalking the fish face up to being technical restrictions is being complacent with a lower standard and equally assumptive.

And please, it's not "disrespectful," don't turn this into an appeal to pity for the developers. It would be disrespectful if I assumed that they were lazy (which I did not, though it is a possibility, I also said that it could be due to time constraints). If it actually turned out that they were due to technical limitations, so be it.

If we were to assume something was always due to graphical limitations in order not to be "disrespectful" then we would not even be able to be critical of the game.

(Bitty!SRK are a bit different, in that they didn't actually have a HQ model in the JP version of BbS; there are obviously going to be different considerations about whether to make an HQ model in the first place than about whether the HQ model or the gameplay model should be used in a particular shot assuming the existence of both)

And this is entirely irrelevant. My point was that there is an example of a place where they used fish face where there were no graphical limitations barring them from being able to use HQ models, regardless of whether or not those HQ models had been in the game prior (on a side note: that you acknowledge the developers did not have HQ models for SRK at all still shows that they were working under a time constraint or that they were lazy).

It's an example where fish face was replaced with HQ face. No graphical limitations.

Think about this for a moment, though: if they're just trying to cut corners and are not limited by technology, why would they ever choose to be inconsistent within a single cutscene? Certainly it's both easier and looks far better to just create some cutscenes entirely in fishface, and use the HQ models throughout the entirety of the A-level cutscenes that they really want to focus on, if they have the opportunity to do so. I might not understand why they're being limited technically, but it's far less absurd to assume that some kind of problem exists than to suggest that developers would choose to switch between graphical paradigms in the middle of a scene because they're too lazy to animate every line.

Uh, no it's not easier. If they animated some cutscenes completely in fishface and others completely in HQ models, that still amounts to the same work in the end as having cutscenes with mixed fishface/HQ models.

The character is not animated in one stretch from start to finish in a KH cutscene (unless they're exceptionally short cutscenes), there are actually multiple animations at work. A transition between fish face and HQ models does not require any more work, it simply means they moved to a new animation (which is usually covered up by camera changes/angles). As for the choice of when to use the HQ models, obviously that's at the developers' discretion and I can't say their process of deciding when to use it, but you do usually find HQ models more in important scenes/lines. What YOU say would look "far better" in terms of their use is a matter of opinion.

Also, it's far less "absurd"? I have absolutely no clue how. Why would it be any more "absurd" to think they didn't have the time (or were lazy) to HQ animate every cutscene/animation more so than saying it was a graphical limitation? Saying it's "absurd" means nothing. Appeal to ridicule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say there is a point to comparing KH to FF, because all of the PS2 and PSP FFs had fishface and reused animations too. =P Dissidia was, in fact, entirely done in fishface, which was terribly annoying. CG has nothing to do with it, really; KH avoids it because almost no one actually prefers it to the style of the game, and using it means an inability to show weapons changes. IIRC, Nomura had mentioned stepping away from it to a large degree in Versus because of that (as well as ditching separate gameplay and cutscene models entirely), which means that directorial preference could have something to do with it, too.

That's not what I meant, there's a different ethos and different priorities for both series, and sometimes the ethos/priorities change even between the games of one series. So when I say that FF has more and better CGI, I was saying that it prioritizes CGI higher than KH does, which is in itself not a good or bad thing, it's just a different approach.

The reason why a game like Dissidia, in my opinion, can get away with more fish face is not because of technical limitations but because it's a different genre of game- a fighter game. While not always the case, fighter games aren't usually as rich in story (let's be honest here- who takes Dissidia's story seriously?), thus there's less of an imperative to make great cinematics, and less of a need to make HQ faces to express emotion.

Stock animations are rather different than fishface anyway, in that there's no technical benefit to them whatsoever, they don't look bad in and of themselves, and most people simply won't think about them as long as the important cutscenes don't use them inappropriately. =P

I think there is, actually, because each time a character uses a stock animation, I believe it's used from the same folder. ie, every time Sora crosses his arm or Donald taps his foot, I don't think there are like a hundred files for each time they do this, there's only one (I could be wrong on this, not sure).
Either way, there is, however, a benefit in regards to time efficiency and productivity which the fishface shares in common.

Saken

鍵が導く心のまま
Awards
Hold on, why is Pinocchio and Geppetto in the Realm of Sleep when, clearly, in KH1 they were at Traverse Town (Monstro intially but w/e)?

Just thought about as i typed the question, but Traverse Town is also in the Realm of Sleep, something must have happened to it in between KH1 and KH2 for it to end up there. And isn't Traverse Town meant to be a collection of the characters whose worlds fell to darkness?

So I'm assuming that when Traverse Town was sent to the Realm of Sleep, Pinocchio and Geppetto returned back to their own world as well (in the realm of sleep)...

Edit: btw let's not argue about stupid things, please. Fish face or not, you're gonna play it.

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!
Hold on, why is Pinocchio and Geppetto in the Realm of Sleep when, clearly, in KH1 they were at Traverse Town (Monstro intially but w/e)?

Just thought about as i typed the question, but Traverse Town is also in the Realm of Sleep, something must have happened to it in between KH1 and KH2 for it to end up there. And isn't Traverse Town meant to be a collection of the characters whose worlds fell to darkness?

So I'm assuming that when Traverse Town was sent to the Realm of Sleep, Pinocchio and Geppetto returned back to their own world as well (in the realm of sleep)...
Traverse Town is inside the Realm of Sleep because it was only made up of fragments and citizens of worlds taken by darkness. Once Ansem was defeated, the worlds would go back to the way they were and Traverse Town would have to give up its pieces. However, the world managed to create a heart of its own, so it went to sleep instead of disappearing and dreamed itself to be the appearance of what it once was. Also, Pinocchio, Gepetto and Monstro are in the Realm of Sleep because once Traverse Town disappeared, all of the inhabitants returned to their worlds, but since Prankster's Paradise ended up in the Realm of Sleep once Sora defeated Ansem, they were warped to the Realm of Sleep too. Jiminy was not sent though, because he was traveling with Sora, Donald and Goofy and wasn't in Traverse Town.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Edit: btw let's not argue about stupid things, please. Fish face or not, you're gonna play it.

They resided in Traverse Town after they were rescued from Monstro, Traverse Town was made from other worlds, and when they were all saved from the darkness at the end of Kingdom Hearts, Traverse Town went into a sleep stasis because it became incomplete. So, it has to be saved in the Realm of Sleep in order to bring it back to the Realm of Light. And I don't know why Paradise/Pleasure Island is there, I guess it's also incomplete.

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!
I know it is cliche, but I kind of wished they used a blow fish instead of a lion for that role...it would have looked so much better.
Totally agree. I like the Dream Eaters but some of their abilities would fit other animals rather than themselves.

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I know it is cliche, but I kind of wished they used a blow fish instead of a lion for that role...it would have looked so much better.

I agree. It looks much more like a dog's chew toy than a companion for Sora and Riku.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Just a general 3D question I've been wondering about...Why does Riku retain his hairstyle/face from before entering the dream world, but Sora gets a year younger?

He doesn't; Riku's face model is the same one from KH1/CoM. He only retains shortened hair.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Just a general 3D question I've been wondering about...Why does Riku retain his hairstyle/face from before entering the dream world, but Sora gets a year younger?

Uh, last I checked, Riku cut his hair. And Riku appears a year younger, also. You should look closer.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
Wow, Sora's hair is REALLY dark. (Crosses fingers for Vanitas to play a part in the story. Maybe even have Van controlling Sora?)

Anyway, I love everyone's expressions (especially Concerned Sora) and am I the only person to like Riku's shorter hair? I like the long hair too, but the short hair looks good on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back