• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Comics ► Comic Books & Graphic Novels

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Picked up three Rebirth issues today:

Batman: Transitioning from one really good writer to another. I loved Tom King's Grayson series, so I can't wait to see how his Batman will be different from the amazing run that Snyder just finished. And really happy Duke isn't a new Robin. I would have been annoyed if Batman just had him be another one, but glad that this partnership will be something supposedly new and different.

Green Lanters: Finally, my prayers for Simon Baz getting his own series have been answered! And Jessica Cruz getting in the spotlight as well is great too. Feels like kind of a dick-move on Hal's part to fuse their batteries together. I wonder if there'll need to be a counter for how many times this idea is going to screw these rookies when one of them can't be around to recharge at the same time during a critical moment?

Superman: This one probably has the most unique setup going for it. Pre-New52 Superman is now coming back into the spotlight on an Earth that isn't really his own anymore. I pray to God that all of the new Superman titles we're getting don't get stuck on crossover hell like the last ones did.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Picked up three Rebirth issues today:

Batman: Transitioning from one really good writer to another. I loved Tom King's Grayson series, so I can't wait to see how his Batman will be different from the amazing run that Snyder just finished. And really happy Duke isn't a new Robin. I would have been annoyed if Batman just had him be another one, but glad that this partnership will be something supposedly new and different.

Still have yet to catch up and finish We Are Robin, but boy, was I glad about that.

So far, Bats #1 is the only Rebirth issue I have gotten to, but does anyone know what the next issue that connects directly to the main plot of Rebirth will be? I thought the Batsy one would, but like, it didn't lol.

Kind of wish they had come out with a reading guide for the Rebirth arc so I could know what directly continues the whole DC Universe vs Dr. Manhattan plotline. As well as where everything else fits in, lol.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
So far, Bats #1 is the only Rebirth issue I have gotten to, but does anyone know what the next issue that connects directly to the main plot of Rebirth will be? I thought the Batsy one would, but like, it didn't lol.

Kind of wish they had come out with a reading guide for the Rebirth arc so I could know what directly continues the whole DC Universe vs Dr. Manhattan plotline. As well as where everything else fits in, lol.
I don't think any of the issues immediately following DCU Rebirth will follow up on that story line. I think that conflict will be saved for a bigger event comic? *is guessing*

Otherwise, taking a stab in the dark here, the Titans series might be the most likely place to follow up on things since Ginger-Wally/Flash will be in that series. Next likely title would be Justice League in the future.

Lonbilly

Awards
I don't think any of the issues immediately following DCU Rebirth will follow up on that story line. I think that conflict will be saved for a bigger event comic? *is guessing*

Otherwise, taking a stab in the dark here, the Titans series might be the most likely place to follow up on things since Ginger-Wally/Flash will be in that series. Next likely title would be Justice League in the future.

</3 Darn. I understand it can't be immediate, but like... I REALLY wanna see what the hell they plan on doing next, in that regard.

Anyway, just read all the Rebirths so far. Batman's was the weakest for me, but was still good. Loved seeing my boy joining the main Bat family.

Superman was good too, though I wish the rest of this reboot/reset would be with him in the Black Suit... I just really loved how cool he looks in it. Plus, Beardy Clark is best Clark. This was my first experience with a non-event/miniseries Superman comic, so I definitely plan on checking more out.

Green Lanterns was almost my favorite, because damn, do I already like the characters of Simon and Jessica, and I am so interested to see how exactly things are gonna play it now. Is it wrong of me to hope for Razor to somehow show up? Never read a GL comic either, but damn, did I like Razor in the show.

Green Arrow was by far my favorite of the Rebirth issues. Seeing Ollie and Dinah kicking ass together again was so satisfying and vindicating. There wasn't one single complaint I had with this issue, and I am so excited to see where this solo series is going to go from here, especially since this plot they are in is so intriguing.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
</3 Darn. I understand it can't be immediate, but like... I REALLY wanna see what the hell they plan on doing next, in that regard.
I think I might have spoken too soon, maybe? At least according to the solicit for next week's Flash: Rebirth issue I might have.

Spinning directly out of the epic events of DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1, the fastest man alive finds himself at the center of a DC Universe at a crossroads.
WARNING: Do NOT read this issue until after you read DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH #1!

It specifically mentions reading DCU:R, so maybe there'll be a connection there? (preview)

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
New week, new Rebirth titles to dive into:

Green Arrow: Wasn't interested in Green Arrow at first, but after hearing good things about it I decided to give it a shot. And it was good! I think I'll keep going with this, because it feels good having Arrow and Canary together again.

Aquaman: More or less a setup issue, I guess; and nothing really big or noteworthy happened imo. Pretty much a continuation of where the New52 left off.

Womder Woman: Looks like Wondy is taking a play out of the Donna Troy book of convoluted character backstories. Granted, this is nowhere near as bad as Donna. It's actually a really interesting setup and I really like the approach this book is taking with having two issues ship monthly: one issue being "Year One" while the other is set in the present.

The Flash: There was some light setup for the upcoming run, but so far this is the one book that directly tied back into things that happened in DC Universe: Rebirth. So I guess we can assume that Batman and Flash will be working off-panel on the Dr Manhattan thing until their next big event comes up. Them not telling anyone won't come back to bite them in the butts, no. Although telling as few people as possible that an omniscient being is watching and controlling their everyday lives might be a good idea.

Action Comics: I like the premise of this a lot. Older Superman coming back into the spotlight and dealing with a Lex that's not quite like his Lex, but you still know he's probably not doing this with the noblest of intentions. Plus Doomsday. Plus New52 Clark being alive again. It's a unique situation having two Clarks that could lead to interesting things.

Detective Comics: And thus 'Tec becomes the team book it probably should have always been, instead of 'the other Batman book' during Snyder's run on Batman. I wasn't sure I'd be all-in on a batman team book, but this issue won me over for now, so I'm interested to see where a Batman & Batwoman run superhero bootcamp goes.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Just read Fight Club 2. Well that was an ending.

Lonbilly

Awards
So, Blue Beetle Rebirth came out today. I'm major Jaime Reyes trash and I loved every second of it. It was everything I loved about the original run pre-New 52 while doing something new. This is probably, honestly, my favorite Rebirth issue.

Been catching up on all the other series so far. Digging the Wonder Woman Year One side of things, love the huge development we are getting between Clark, Lois and Jon in Superman, but Flash/Batman have been disappointing/kinda meh. They have good elements and potential for good story but don't utitlize quite as much as I hoped, especially in Batman's case. Harley Quinn had a meh first issue but the second issue is a fun as hell mess and I love it, and how different it is to pretty much everything else in Rebirth so far. Also, Supergirl was bomb as hell. Also looking forward to that.

Still need to catch up on all the others, though. Saving Green Arrow for last though, since other than Blue Beetle, that one was definitely my favorite Rebirth issue.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Been catching up on all the other series so far. Digging the Wonder Woman Year One side of things, love the huge development we are getting between Clark, Lois and Jon in Superman, but Flash/Batman have been disappointing/kinda meh. They have good elements and potential for good story but don't utitlize quite as much as I hoped, especially in Batman's case. Harley Quinn had a meh first issue but the second issue is a fun as hell mess and I love it, and how different it is to pretty much everything else in Rebirth so far. Also, Supergirl was bomb as hell. Also looking forward to that.
I wasn't completely sure about King's Batman series, but then issue 4 hit and I was completely sold on whatever he wants to do. That issue took a turn I wasn't expecting and he's been doing something Snyder never really did a lot with his run: use other elements of the DC universe. Also, I like the way King uses Alfred over Snyder. He seems to be having fun with him.

Right now I love the Superman series too. I was a little worried at first that it and Action Comics might both be getting into a bad habit early on with Lois and Jon being in danger so that Superman has to save them, but then we get a freaking bat-cave on the moon and a hell-bat suit callback with Lois kicking the Eradicator's ass with Jon, which was pretty freaking sweet. I never had a big problem with New52 Superman, but I'm liking family man Supe's a heck of a lot.

Still need to catch up on all the others, though. Saving Green Arrow for last though, since other than Blue Beetle, that one was definitely my favorite Rebirth issue.
I love Green Arrow for the art alone. This opening arc was really good, so I hope you enjoy catching up on it. =D

Lonbilly

Awards
Cs84hBIVMAAcKND.jpg

Words cannot describe how happy I am with the fact DC gave us a solo Raven series.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Wonder Woman: The True Amazon by Jill Thompson was a good read. It's another origin story, but no Steve Trevor this time and more of an emphasis on WW's life with her fellow amazons (or at least more of an emphasis than what I've read in recent years).

So if anyone's been wanting a new WW graphic novel to read I'd recommend that one.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I just finished reading Wolverine: Old Man Logan. It was very enjoyable, they did a lot of cool things with it and there were a couple very unexpected twists.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Seeing as the 2016 is almost over, I thought I'd ask what everyone's favorite comics/graphic novels of the year were?

DC Rebirth got me into more stuff than what I was reading before, like Green Arrow, but the Superman title has to hands-down be my favorite ongoing title of the year. Superman with a wife and kid is probably the best version of the character I've read in a long time, and I'd recommend this title to anyone wanting to read some good Superman.

Also from the Superman line, Superman: American Alien was really great read. A 7-chapter series taking moments of Clark Kent's life that would help make him into the Superman we're all familiar with. If you didn't like the way Big Blue has been portrayed in the DC Movies these past few years, this series is a good anti-thesis to that.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
I need some help on how to get all caught up with the entire Rebirth thing. I've heard good things about it and I've yet to read it. Would it be prudent to read Flashpoint first before all this since it concerns Dr. Manhattan and everything else.

It'd be a great help!

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
I need some help on how to get all caught up with the entire Rebirth thing. I've heard good things about it and I've yet to read it. Would it be prudent to read Flashpoint first before all this since it concerns Dr. Manhattan and everything else.

It'd be a great help!
Dr. Manhattan has nothing to do with the Flashpoint comic story. His involvement in the current DC Rebirth storyline is a retcon of what lead to the New52. Flashpoint is worth a read if you're a really big Flash fan because it's a pretty good Flash story. Otherwise Flashpoint sorta lacks as a "big event" story.

Next month a lot of the first collected volumes of Rebirth graphic novels will come out, so you could try and catch up with those if you'd like.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
Dr. Manhattan has nothing to do with the Flashpoint comic story. His involvement in the current DC Rebirth storyline is a retcon of what lead to the New52. Flashpoint is worth a read if you're a really big Flash fan because it's a pretty good Flash story. Otherwise Flashpoint sorta lacks as a "big event" story.

Next month a lot of the first collected volumes of Rebirth graphic novels will come out, so you could try and catch up with those if you'd like.

Really? I got the impression that it was him that set up the new 52, not just Barry. And it was him that stole everybody's lives of five years, I think.

Next month... I just hope that my purse can handle the spending I'm about to do, lol. And it might do me well to get Flashpoint because it's a great book alongside with the tie-ins with it.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
What a ridiculously awesome time where I can read a Justice League vs. Power Rangers crossover comic. :'D

DC's been doing a lot lately with crossover comics with other comic companies and properties. Green Lantern/Star Trek, Batman/TMNT, JL/Power Rangers, and I think there's going to be a Green Lantern/Planet of the Apes crossover too. I hope they keep doing these crossovers for a long while because they've been really fun reads so far.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
What a ridiculously awesome time where I can read a Justice League vs. Power Rangers crossover comic. :'D

DC's been doing a lot lately with crossover comics with other comic companies and properties. Green Lantern/Star Trek, Batman/TMNT, JL/Power Rangers, and I think there's going to be a Green Lantern/Planet of the Apes crossover too. I hope they keep doing these crossovers for a long while because they've been really fun reads so far.
I noticed and thought it was definitely interesting they're doing that.

Kounelli

Awards
I've been reading that rebooted Archie series lately and I kinda dig it. Been a while since I read the originals though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back