• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Colored health bars

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AR829038

Awards
Does anybody miss the color-coded health bars from the first game? Or do you think it was better to ditch 'em for the green bars?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I liked those, too. I have a feeling they might've ditched them because they made bosses in later games with more health bars than colors they could use to differentiate them. For example, I think the Sephiroth fight in KH2 has, like, 10 bars of health. Whereas in KH1, he only has 5 or 6. It sort of makes it obvious how much easier KH2 was.

But I also miss the way the health bars for SDG were displayed rather than the circles. To me, the visual of how much growth you've made at the end of the game when the bar is huge was satisfying, lol.

okhi12

Awards
It took me a while to realise you mean enemy health bars, at first I didn't understand because the health bars of party members have always been green.

I miss them because of how nostalgic KH1 is as a whole, but from an objective point of view the green health bars with the little squares below indicating how many bars are left is a much more intuitive system making it easier to understand.

The KH1 enemy health bars are a bit confusing for me because I don't always remember which color means how many bars are left and some enemies such as Sephiroth have more health than can be represented by the maximum numbers of bars (5 if I remember well), so at first it looks like you're not inflicting any damage at all until the remaining health reaches the HP range represented by the bars. It's a bit frustrating.

Since KH2 we've had bosses and superbosses with so many HP bars that the KH1 system wouldn't be useful anymore. I would not be able to easily remember 16 or 20 colors, each one associated with a different number of remaining HP bars.

But I also miss the way the health bars for SDG were displayed rather than the circles. To me, the visual of how much growth you've made at the end of the game when the bar is huge was satisfying, lol.
Yeah, I love seeing Goofy's huge HP and Donald's huge MP in KH1. I guess they went with the circle in KH2 because it's a much cleaner UI. In the endgame of KH1 the huge bars cover a good portion of the screen and it can be slightly annoying when you want a good view fighting some enemies such as the Black ballade.

Last edited:
Back