• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

College

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
I started out with C++, both for Intro and for Data Structures (the follow-up class). Prior to C++, the Intro class used Ada. Next language we went into was Java. I think their Intro class now starts out with C#. They usually try to focus on what languages local jobs want (Java and C#, and branching from there, VB).

Though, I had other classes where we learned other languages. OS we used C. Linux I learned bash. Then a Computer Programming class where we briefly touched on several language paradigms and languages in them (Prolog, Scheme/LISP, Fortran..95 maybe?)

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
I knew I couldn't be a doctor when I took Chemistry twice and received a D and a F. :/
U got a F after getting a D?
I found chemistry a bit easier after working in a Rite Aid pharmacy for a few years.

Sciences are a hit or miss for me.
If they strike my interests i do really well. If the don't then i have muscle through the course just to get a C...

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
This is my first year studying Film (well, in actual classes, anyways). ADHD has made studying a bitch for me in the past, but I've never felt so 100% engaged in the classes and subjects I'm in. It feels great. This year I'm taking two film classes in particular: Moving Image Arts and Moving Image Productions. For some homework, I'm given a choice between analyzing Blue Velvet or The Shining; I think I'll just watch them both.

A

I shoot first there is no shooting back
Awards
The hypertension for me has begun, the struggle is right around the corner

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
You know what's been driving me crazy? As a biochemistry & molecular biology major I take a lot of lab classes. Like, a lot. And I am so tired of spending hours upon hours learning the precise operating procedures of freaking prehistoric machinery. I'm using a 40-70 year-old spectrophomoter in my biochem lab right now, hooked up to a chart recorder (scrolling paper with a pen moving back and forth; think seismigraph). Having three years of actual research experience, I can say confidently that pretty much any legitimate lab on campus has a spec hooked up to, you know, a computer. And our gas chromatography machines are practically older than the universe itself. I'm surprised the physics department hasn't nicked them as evidence for the state of the universe right after the big bang.

When a publication from 1980 calls your equipment vintage, what's even the point in learning how to use it?

D

Deleted member 36435

shit dog i go to a community college and our labs are pretty well up-to-date. i mean it's not like state of the art equipment but it's current at least.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
You know what's been driving me crazy? As a biochemistry & molecular biology major I take a lot of lab classes. Like, a lot. And I am so tired of spending hours upon hours learning the precise operating procedures of freaking prehistoric machinery. I'm using a 40-70 year-old spectrophomoter in my biochem lab right now, hooked up to a chart recorder (scrolling paper with a pen moving back and forth; think seismigraph). Having three years of actual research experience, I can say confidently that pretty much any legitimate lab on campus has a spec hooked up to, you know, a computer. And our gas chromatography machines are practically older than the universe itself. I'm surprised the physics department hasn't nicked them as evidence for the state of the universe right after the big bang.

When a publication from 1980 calls your equipment vintage, what's even the point in learning how to use it?

Why does your university use old equipment like that? I mean damn. It's important for scientists to use the latest. I go to a state school and our spectrophotometers for undegrads are at least hooked up to computers and printers. I would be pretty upset. You should write a complaint to your department about that. What exactly does your tuition pay for if you're using outdated equipment like that?

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Why does your university use old equipment like that? I mean damn. It's important for scientists to use the latest. I go to a state school and our spectrophotometers for undegrads are at least hooked up to computers and printers. I would be pretty upset. You should write a complaint to your department about that. What exactly does your tuition pay for if you're using outdated equipment like that?
I'm at Michigan State University. So it's a big, well known school with a good biochemistry department. I think the issue is that this class is trying to teach us a huge range of biochemical procedures, and they all require different machines. So while we do have pretty standard Ocean Optics specs that are very recent, we also have Beckman-Gilford specs that are ancient. In the class we do really expensive protocols like Western blots that blow hundreds of dollars in one day on reagents. So I understand that our money is not being wasted, but when I'm spending all night watching instructional videos on how to run a chart recorder I can't help but feel that I'm wasting my time.

I had the same problem in organic chemistry lab.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I started out at a community college before transferring to a university.

I gotta say that both were completely different from high school. In the latter, students don't have any form of freedom and are on a strict timetable for everything that they have to do. When I went to community college, everything was completely laid back and more relaxed. The curriculum was ironically much easier than what I had to learn over in high school. However, upon entering a university, the classes became more challenging (and in some cases, interesting) with far more emphasis on online discussions and groupwork in general.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
My inorganic chem class is literally the biggest uphill battle in my college career so far. The professor that used to teach it (and has taught it for as long as anyone can remember) inexplicably disappeared and was replaced by a professor that only has history teaching grad students so everyone in my class is wondering what the fuck is going on, and this is already in a course that has to be structured such that a 56% is a pass.

And for some reason Diff Eq is a struggle for me as well and I consider myself decent at math. -___- right when I'm starting to kick myself for not being a Criminal Justice major, too.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
My inorganic chem class is literally the biggest uphill battle in my college career so far. The professor that used to teach it (and has taught it for as long as anyone can remember) inexplicably disappeared and was replaced by a professor that only has history teaching grad students so everyone in my class is wondering what the diddly is going on, and this is already in a course that has to be structured such that a 56% is a pass.

And for some reason Diff Eq is a struggle for me as well and I consider myself decent at math. -___- right when I'm starting to kick myself for not being a Criminal Justice major, too.

I know that feel. Although I haven't taken inorganic chem (I might next semester actually. Right now I'm looking forward to taking biochemistry). Diff Eq can be hard, especially if you have a hard prof. Just tough it out if you can!

It sucks how profs can make or break a class sometimes, and the sciences tend to get profs that just don't know how to bring it down to earth for us undergrads sometimes lol.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I know that feel. Although I haven't taken inorganic chem (I might next semester actually. Right now I'm looking forward to taking biochemistry). Diff Eq can be hard, especially if you have a hard prof. Just tough it out if you can!

It sucks how profs can make or break a class sometimes, and the sciences tend to get profs that just don't know how to bring it down to earth for us undergrads sometimes lol.

Ugh. That reminds me of my Anatomy and Physiology class. The teacher wasn't able to get us to better understand the material at all. The only time we really learned anything was when we were playing Jeopardy with the subject matter.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
So this is neat.

Preparing for graduation (graphic design) and just got my portfolio materials in the mail. Every semester there's a big show for the graduating students. My book isn't designed yet but I do have the physical screwpost binder, paper, and the clothes I intend to wear at the event. My colors are white and orange.

1653588_10152233606372597_1267564684_n.jpg

My outfit is an orange shirt, white pants and a white tie.

So pumpeeddddddddd.

A

I shoot first there is no shooting back
Awards
Why are people having such a hard time with math courses? I feel like that's the only type of course i'm ever going to pass for some semesters

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
The same could be said with art, A.

Some people just understand quantitative reasoning better than others. That's why I never took more than Trigonometry/Precalc.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
The same could be said with art, A.

Some people just understand quantitative reasoning better than others. That's why I never took more than Trigonometry/Precalc.

Math, like anything, can be learned. Comes more naturally to some than others of course. Art can also be learned. It just comes more naturally to some than others. Any skill or subject can be learned if you want. I think people just underestimate themselves I guess. This is coming from someone who does well in both math and art classes.

And A, math can get overwhelming. But I would say that the further you go, the less unfamiliar math feels when you learn it in a class. At least at the undergraduate level.

Inasuma is what you're doing like a career fair?

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
Inasuma is what you're doing like a career fair?

You could say that. All the graduates set up their work on a table, they stand behind said work, and talk with employers and whatnot who see their stuff. Think of it like a reverse career-fair. Many students who plan on graduating within the next year will also attend to get an idea of what they should expect (I went to the show three times, so I feel like I'm relatively ready).

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice

Inorganic's gotten better over the last couple days. Normally the homework assignments take a day or two to finish but I finished our latest assignment on character tables within 30 minutes and I understood everything I was doing along the way so I guess that's good? (especially since this is one of only 6 homework assignments haha)

And math is still killer. Mostly I hate the way math is taught at my university because every class I've taken insists on lumping some knowledge of MATLAB coding with it, when all I've enjoyed doing is the pencil and paper mathematics. But instead of practicing the pencil and paper stuff, I have to spend 20 hours debugging a fucking MATLAB file haha. oh well after Diff Eq I'm done with Math for the rest of undergrad

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Why are people having such a hard time with math courses? I feel like that's the only type of course i'm ever going to pass for some semesters
Math courses are simple (when your professor does not give you a headache, haha). Pre-Calculus and Calculus are simple, the only problem is remembering those damn formulas, when to use them, what information to apply it and interpret application problems.

Back