• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Classic Kingdom arrives in KHUX JP on 9/6, get Starlight to use in KINGDOM HEARTS 3!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Disney even had input in the keyblade designs? I find that a bit funny tbh
Yeah, it's a lot of back and forth with Disney and Pixar employees in the meetings deciding on the Keyblade designs, the toy and monster designs, etc.

Dandelion: You mentioned a little bit at D23 that you were really excited to design Sora's Keyblade for the world, and also to work on the new outfits for Sora, Donald, and Goofy. Can you talk a little bit about the design process for those?

Tasha: Yeah. Basically, Square Enix, they'll do the first pass of the stuff. Then, it's a back and forth conversation. Our, I guess you would say Toy Story franchise expert, is Bob Pauley, who is a concept artist here and also designs a lot of characters and has been here for a really long time. He was in on all those meetings when we were talking about the design of the world, the design of the Keyblade, the design of the toy versions of Sora, Donald, and Goofy.

There's just several rounds of back and forth of like, "Let's add seams to their joints to make them feel more toy-like," or, "Let's make the screws larger so that you can really like it's a toy." Because, we definitely wanted to make them feel different than ... Because, there are actual action figures of Sora, so we didn't want to make it just look like the actual action figure. We wanted to almost make it more retro, because Toy Story is all about retro toys and make it look ... We emphasized the blockiness of it, just so that ... I feel, as a player, that it's more fun to see a version of the characters that's different. You want to see what they look like in that world. It's like, "Oh, fun!"

This is one of those things about how the creators and producers of the Disney / Pixar films are still around so they have actual input in the game.

meep2meep

Awards
Really hoping the keyblade (skin) isn't exclusive... I don't mind loading up X again to play some kh3 minigames early. I'm just really getting sick of games havin exclusive pre-order/ promotional content. Oh and still no word on ps4 pro... thanks Square (I still love you guys,but come on. Please?)

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
It's easier to just reuse a Keyblade design that they made over 2 years ago for Back Cover than to go back and forth with Disney over a brand new Disney Keyblade. I wanted a Fix It Felix Hammer Keyblade though

Yeah I get that. But it would probably be designed any way if Wreck It Ralph is the world since all other UX worlds have a featured Keyblade. transformations would be the only extra work, but I don’t think it would be too difficult to come up with a cool concept for a candy/racing/video game themed Keyblade.

I still think Fix-It Felix and Sugar Rush could be playable arcade games in KH3 where you can win a WIR Keyblade and forge the link with Ralph. If a feature like that is in place, it would make sense why they chose the Starlight for this.

I’m just glad we should be finding out the answer sooner rather than later. It’s really just a bummer to me that Global players probably won’t get the world until after KH3 unless they give us one big story update for all of Enchanted Dominion.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
The harm can come from having yet another character(s) introduced just to be abandoned with little to no development.
And if they do develop this character, it might be to the Union Leaders' screentime's detriment
Right now Union χ[Cross] has only just begun, Nomura said that the meeting of the Union Leaders was just the intro.
Currently the story is set in a desolate post-apocalypse where 99% of everyone is dead and 0.99% of everyone else is locked away in a dream.
We have a total of six (6) living, named characters in this story. Ephemera, Skuld, Blaine, Lauriam, Ventus and Player.
It's 150% completely unsurprising that we would have more characters appear (like the Black Coat in the title art), otherwise how the hell is this plot moving forward?
The original Foretellers weren't greatly explored either.
They got a whole movie just to do exactly that.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Right now Union χ[Cross] has only just begun, Nomura said that the meeting of the Union Leaders was just the intro.

And releasing the intro only to stop for a year was a pretty awful decision and the cause of all this concern.

Currently the story is set in a desolate post-apocalypse where 99% of everyone is dead and 0.99% of everyone else is locked away in a dream.
We have a total of six (6) living, named characters in this story. Ephemera, Skuld, Blaine, Lauriam, Ventus and Player.

A lot of assuming here. We actually don't know the real numbers of the living and the dead. Nor how far the apocalypse has spread, perhaps everything is fine aside from the graveyard.
Why we don't know? Because the story didn't progress.

It's 150% completely unsurprising that we would have more characters appear (like the Black Coat in the title art), otherwise how the hell is this plot moving forward?

By having the six characters interact and doing stuff?
You really don't need to add more people to progress the story. You can do that with two characters, sometimes even just one.
X's story was great and it featured mostly the player and another person.

They got a whole movie just to do exactly that.

I know. I was referring about that. Lo and behold, that also failed in that regard.
Also, it's not like that somehow makes it better, even if Back Cover was good. Don't say it like it's some kind of bonus, I shouldn't need a separate movie to learn about 5 characters who are supposed to be narrative pillars in a game. (especially when I still didn't, really. You could get Aced, Ava and Gula's basic traits from X's final updates)

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
A lot of assuming here. We actually don't know the real numbers of the living and the dead. Nor how far the apocalypse has spread, perhaps everything is fine aside from the graveyard.
I think the players friends are among the living, but any attempts at giving them characterisation and bringing them into the plot have fallen flat due to SENA creating distance between us by having them all called "Keyblade Wielder."

This whole last year in the life of Union X has been a waste and a mistake. Utter foolishness that should never have been accepted.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
And releasing the intro only to stop for a year was a pretty awful decision and the cause of all this concern.
I'm not saying it wasn't a bad play but the fact is, the real story of Uχ is basically the equivalent of Destiny Islands at the moment. It's hard to talk about screentime or character utilization when nothing's happened. Just unnecessary cynicism.

My apologies for not having access to a complete headcount of nameless NPCs who took part in a War which we've been told time and again will be/was the almost-end of the universe.

By having the six characters interact and doing stuff?
You really don't need to add more people to progress the story. You can do that with two characters, sometimes even just one.
X's story was great and it featured mostly the player and another person.
For as much as I do enjoy χ[chi]'s story, the intrigue everyone felt was almost completely removed from Player and Ephemera. It was Ava and the mysteries surrounding the Master, the Book of Prophecies, the then-unnamed Sixth Apprentice, the connections to the future, and the looming shadow of the Keyblade War.
Player's fragment of the story is not what kept all of us paying attention.

While we do have Strelitzia's killer to worry about, where exactly do we go from here? Honestly it seems pretty naïve to expect this story to progress exclusively with the Union Leaders and Player. Even the conflict between the Foretellers required the existence of the Unions (though not specific individuals).

And for all we know, the character he's referring to is just the coat that we've known about for a year. I really don't see the reason or purpose to being so wound up about it.

I know. I was referring about that. Lo and behold, that also failed in that regard.
Agree to disagree. I loved Back Cover.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I think the players friends are among the living, but any attempts at giving them characterisation and bringing them into the plot have fallen flat due to SENA creating distance between us by having them all called "Keyblade Wielder."

This whole last year in the life of Union X has been a waste and a mistake. Utter foolishness that should never have been accepted.

Pretty much.
As I've said elsewhere, Union had the chance to use at least a handful out of the gazilion Wielders to show some interesting scenario, but... eh. Took a Days celebration to make them cook something, and even then I think we can all agree it was sorta hit and miss.

I'm not saying it wasn't a bad play but the fact is, the real story of Uχ is basically the equivalent of Destiny Islands at the moment. It's hard to talk about screentime or character utilization when nothing's happened. Just unnecessary cynicism.

No, it's calling them out for making a bad call, since after I finish Destiny Islands I immediately go to the rest of the game.
And even if I didn't, Destiny Islands gives me a fairly good idea of where Sora, Riku and Kairi stand as characters.
I assure you it's actually fairly easy to talk about lack of screentime and character utilization when the "prologue" was along these lines:

"Hey guys! I'm from another game! How did I end up here? Who knows! Buy KH III, maybe you'll find out!"
"And here I come as well! Who am I? Somebody you know, somebody new? Is my condescending attitude a sign of malice or just a red herring? Ohh, mystery!"
"And here I am as well! I'm also a character from another game! Did I or did I not kill the other character? Mystery, mystery!"

And then one year of silence.
None of this is self-explanatory or satisfying by itself, it's just piling questions over other questions and leave them at that.
Nomura calling it an intro does not make it better.

My apologies for not having access to a complete headcount of nameless NPCs who took part in a War which we've been told time and again will be/was the almost-end of the universe.

Buddy, you were the one who replied to me saying you didn't know what the kerfuffle was about, so don't act like this.
I didn't ask you for a headcount. I was merely stating that writing everybody minus the player and the leaders as dead and impossible to provide more narrative content is premature, for we don't know the current status.
I didn't even object that most died, but that, as Chaser provided to state, the armageddon or the coma aren't this much of a narrative hindrance, scenarios were written featuring other dreaming wielders.
So to sum up since this is kinda straying from the original point: it's not like we only have this six people forever and so it is necessary to introduce new characters.

I don't pretend that everything that's going to happen from now on is going to happen solely in the Realm of Light.

For as much as I do enjoy χ[chi]'s story, the intrigue everyone felt was almost completely removed from Player and Ephemera. It was Ava and the mysteries surrounding the Master, the Book of Prophecies, the then-unnamed Sixth Apprentice, the connections to the future, and the looming shadow of the Keyblade War.
Player's fragment of the story is not what kept all of us paying attention.

That's you. That's not everyone.
And considering how many people were heartbroken after the Player's last scene in X... Imma say it kept more people going that you're giving credit for.
The Master and the Book were almost never really discussed upon in X, and the stuff with Ava, Luxu, and looming War were also parts tied with the Player. Like, the entire sequence between the Player and Gula talking and Ava and Luxu was so good.
Also, the Darklings and the Nightmare Chirithy fight. The Player's story was great.
I'm not even talking about intrigue, but what makes a story good and worth watching.

While we do have Strelitzia's killer to worry about, where exactly do we go from here? Honestly it seems pretty naïve to expect this story to progress exclusively with the Union Leaders and Player. Even the conflict between the Foretellers required the existence of the Unions (though not specific individuals).

"Hey Skuld, it seems one of the Wielders who should be dreaming is unaccounted for. Reports say she was last seen wandering into an abandoned storeroom, to never resurface."
"Are you saying she was struck down? But how?"
"Maybe one of our comrades isn't who they claim to be."

And yes, this is just rehearsing the traitor shtick all over again, but Ux dug that grave itself.

Other possible scenarios:
- Creating Dream Eaters! What is the actual process? What does it entails? What possible lore details could we gather from it?
- The unresolved Dark Chirithy matter
- Ven and Lauriam, why are they here.
- Hey, the War happened, the world is supposedly all in shambles now? What do we do about that? What happened to Kingdom Hearts, where are the rumored 20 X-Blade pieces?

Just to name a few possible starting points.
Dunno, seems naive to me expecting more characters because you can't possibly come up with more topics.
It's six characters, for crying out loud. Some of mankind's greatest literary pieces were written with a third of that. I can't possibly accept that they can't come up with story themes when even I can.

And for all we know, the character he's referring to is just the coat that we've known about for a year. I really don't see the reason or purpose to being so wound up about it.

Clearly. You apparently like unanswered questions and intrigue more than the answer itself, so I can only assume you've enjoyed all of X and sequel so far.
But, and I'm not the only one saying it, just intrigue and the appearance of characters isn't enough to keep most people going.

Even just the sentence "the character he's referring to is just the coat that we've known about for a year" sounds wrong. We've "known" a character from a year, but we don't even know a possible name and just the appearance (which is an undefined coat) which means we don't actually know it at all.
What other characters we don't really know? Pretty much all the new ones. They too, we've been seeing them for about a year.
Now more characters are going to come, so if, say, we get three new character, we'd actually have 8 new characters to explore. In a game that didn't really explore even some of the starting ones (Foretellers).

There. Now one last thing, because I feel this discussion is gone long enough: what me and others expressed was concern. We didn't say "oh gee, more characters, Union confirmed still bad", we were just worried.
Saying "I don't understand why people are worried" is like saying "I don't understand why people AREN'T worried."
Now, asking is fine and I answered, but this is turning into who liked what, so I'd say it might as well be done. Points were made and explained.

Honestly, I'll just enjoy being in the majority for once, doesn't happen all the time.

Agree to disagree. I loved Back Cover.

As did I. Doesn't change that it didn't really explore the Foretellers all that much.
The Aced stuff was decent, but as I said, X basically gave that already.
And it doesn't even explain why Aced and Ira are so adversarial towards each other when Back Cover ends with them trusting one another, so... yay! More unanswered questions.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
"Hey Skuld, it seems one of the Wielders who should be dreaming is unaccounted for. Reports say she was last seen wandering into an abandoned storeroom, to never resurface."
"Are you saying she was struck down? But how?"
"Maybe one of our comrades isn't who they claim to be."
Strelitzia was chosen to be a Union Leader so already this scenario can't happen. Also strange that the Union Leaders, a secret group of only five people and literally nobody else, have some kind of intelligence network.

- The unresolved Dark Chirithy matter
The Nightmare Chirithy came from Player's darkness. We've known this for quite a while.
- Ven and Lauriam, why are they here.
More accurately, why are they in the future, and this is something I'm positive will be endgame material. Not something to dive into right out the gate.

And it doesn't even explain why Aced and Ira are so adversarial towards each other when Back Cover ends with them trusting one another, so... yay! More unanswered questions.
Because when the War became unavoidable, Aced resolved to create the strongest Union so that he would win and lead the new world. He embraces his lust for power and becomes the closest thing KH might ever see to a warlord.
Ira sees the danger in Aced's ambition and focuses his efforts against him to ensure that there are no winners.
This is from the end of χ[chi] so we've known since long before Back Cover.

The real unanswered question is what happened between them after they flew off during the War.
Personally, I believe the Foretellers are all still alive but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back