• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Chrono Trigger; Time Travel Anyone? Well, without Xehanort..

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I thought I'd start this since something unexpected just happened, guys.

https://kotaku.com/chrono-trigger-gets-surprise-release-on-pc-1823359578

I'm happy about this, for now everyone can play one of the greats :). I have the DS version, so I'm not rebuying this on Steam. (It's one of those DS games that did have some online features, but it's something I can live without, so it isn't FF3). Once I get the new battery for my 3DS I might replay b/c of this..

So! Anyone like this game? Going to buy the PC version? Or just have fond memories? Let's have it!

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Shu; I'm not saying the port's bad. (I'm not buying it since I have the DS version, anyway.) I'm just saying hey, anyone like CT as much as I do? Right now my new 3DS battery is stuck in Washington, or I'd prolly be starting a new game now and going for a diff ending than I did before!

FF3, I went an' rebought on Steam b/c the loss of the DS internet stuff made it so you couldn't get Onion knight, 2##$%%^! The steam version fixes that little problem.

Anyway 'nuf with that. Steam or no, this is a game worth playing at least once, if not many times. ^^

Recon

Art of War
Awards
It’s a very, very crappy, lazy port of the mobile version. Do not spend money on this

Is it really that bad?

Right now my new 3DS battery is stuck in Washington

Let me guess. The battery expanded?

Launch Trailer

[video=youtube;2fl-AylaHY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fl-AylaHY8[/video]

[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT]Two Extra Dungeons – Includes the mysterious “Dimensional Vortex” dungeon and “Lost Sanctum” dungeon that first appeared in the Nintendo DS and mobile releases

• Chrono Trigger Limited Edition - Those that purchase the Steam version until April 2, 2018 will receive the following digital bonuses for free:

- An enchanting and specially edited digital song file containing a medley of five songs: “Far Off Promise,” “Wind Scene,” “Battle with Magus,” “Corridors of Time,” and “Chrono Trigger”

- Composer Yasunori Mitsuda’s digital liner notes

- A collection of six stunning PC wallpapers in varying sizes

• Updated Graphics and Sound – While keeping the atmosphere of the original, this version features optimized visuals designed for modern PCs and a re-recorded soundtrack under the supervision of original composer Yasunori Mitsuda.

• Updated Controls - Optimized PC experience that supports both controller and mouse/keyboard configuration

• New Autosave Feature - Automatically saves while still featuring the original title’s Save Point function

In conjunction with the release of the Steam version, Chrono Trigger for iOS and Android may also receive a major update which brings all of the enhancements in the PC version to mobile devices. Additionally, Chrono Trigger is also now available on the Amazon AppStore beginning today, bringing the title to an even wider array of mobile platforms.

The mobile version of Chrono Trigger not only features the updated graphical and sound enhancements, but also brings retina and cloud save features as well as AppleTV support to this version.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Recon; the battery wasn't holding a charge as well as it used to, so I ordered a new one. (It'd been about 10 years since I'd bought it, and you're supposed to rep it every 6 or 7 I think.) The mistake was disposing of the old one before I got the new one (I know a place that does that.); it's still not here and it's somehow gotten stuck along the way. :/ A 3DS will NOT function without a battery so it's dead until I finally get one.

Called Ninty; they're trying another send, if BOTH get here, I'm giving my brother who has a 3DS the second one, since his is just as old!

Anyway not judging the port at all. BTW, when I beat it last, I beat it with the original trio; Chrono, Marle and Lucca btw. ^^

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Stop giving us crappy mobile ports, Square. It's so lazy.
I get its easy money, but wow.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah this bums me out, as I would have double dipped since I own the DS version. But yeah, would rather just replay that then lol

Zul

Awards
Square has shown time and time again that they're either incompetent or horridly lazy when it comes to PC porting anything, and it's sad considering how useful Steam is as a distribution tool .

Tyrant Raver

The Dragon
Awards
Wow the PC version looks WWEEEEEEIRRRRD... Hell, even SNES Emulator looks better than this, holy Gato Silver Coin-oly.

Ah well, I still have my cartridge from the early 2000's I bought off ebay, still works like brand new to this day.

Pokie

This. This is how you lose fandom trust SE. People are just not going to buy your mobile ports because of how lazy you're being.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yeah it is. I freely admit I did buy FF5 and FF6; those are at least PLAYABLE even tho I don't dare fullscreen them. (I figure on my nice big tv, if I did they'd look even worse.) Those are stupid refrickindiculous to find used for the GBA and they're also very expensive. There's also the danger of pirated copies which I do not want to play with. (Pirated may happen the most with Pokemon, but I hear it happens with those, too. I don't want to have one of my brothers run over a bad/china pirated copy, which my brother had to do.) Hence, why I got the PC versions, and I'm moderately happy there with those.

Not sure how playable the PC version of CT is, and from reports, it's garbage. Come on Ninty, get me that battery. (As it is, I'm going to have to wait another week.) But yeah. If they're going to just dump from touch screens, they need to rethink how they do ports.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy 5 and 6's Ports either. The artwork is pretty horrible, and I dislike the layout. I believe one of those games let you set the battle appearance to normal, but blech.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I think FF6 does, I'd have to check the config. But yeah, if you're going to give us mobile ports, Square, at least give us the option to change to the original menus/ui and make sure joypad support's solid. I think that'd solve at least the playablity issues. That's why I'm holding off on getting the PC version of Romancing Saga 2; when it first came out, it didn't have good joypad support >.<. I do NOT want to drag out Xpadder for a game. (I might check and see if I can get that one on my PS4 instead b/c of that.)

You can say that about FF5 and FF6; at least they've got good support for modern controllers. That's why they are playable at all, and worth the buy in my opinion if you missed the GBA ports. The PC version of CT..doesn't seem to be worth it.

Anyway I think joypad/menu fixing won't completely solve the problem, but it prolly would be a start.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Looks like the PC port is getting a patch to add the original SNES graphics to the game.
Source

At least they are listening to the port's feedback.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I just finished playing through the game on ds. I had originally played through it on PS1, and I bought the DS version back when it first released. I've restarted that ds version a million times when I would get that Chrono itch, but this was my first time seeing the ds version through to completion.

Now I just need to play the SNES version haha. Not bothering with this mobile crap.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I wouldn't mind playing the mobile version if they plan to patch it like the PC port.

To Square's credit, I think their mobile versions of Dragon Quest 1, 2, and 3 are all fantastic. I know they can do mobile right, but there are just too many other examples where they don't.

To be honest though I'm not a huge mobile gamer anyway, and I'm not really a big PC gamer (just having grown up with console gaming, I only play PC games when that's the only way said games are available to me). So I don't know, the mobile and Steam versions of Chrono Trigger weren't really made for a gamer like me anyway, but I still find it super disappointing for anyone else who was looking to play it in this format and Square does this kind of lazy thing. I honestly do hope they fix it and don't leave this tainted stain on one of the greatest games ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back