• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Chemistry project

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

文偉立

newb programmer
I hate Chemistry ^^

Please help me with this project. It's HARD

Project due January 3rd, 2006

=================================================================================================
Calorimetry: the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction

q=mCΔT
q=heat transferred
m=mass of the substance
C=specific heat of capacity of the substance
ΔT= (Final Temperature - Initial Temperature)​

You are a nutritionist and your job is to determine the energy content of a new food that has been placed on the market. You are sent a 10.0 gram sample of the food. In your experiment, the temperature increased from 21°C to 86°C.

Fully determine the type of experimental setup you would have used in this experiment. Include a labeled drawing of the experimental device.

Show all steps in the calculation.

Record your answer to the correct amount of significant figures

---

Additional notes:
-Assume the mass of water is 100.0 grams
-Specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 J/g⋅°C

==================================================================================================

So...that is my project outline. I have NO idea what to do. So far, from assumption and what I've learned in class, I've figured

q=(10.0 grams)(C)(65°C)

But the thing is I don't know what else is necessary to complete the equation because that is all he gave us. So, anyone able to help?

Edit #1: *Crickets chirping* o.o :(
Edit #2: *Jeopardy Song plays* >.> Wow, is it really that hard?

Last edited:
F

FinalStrike

You're saying that you have a project to do. And you want US to do the work for you? Please...that's called "CHEATING".

文偉立

newb programmer
FinalStrike said:
You're saying that you have a project to do. And you want US to do the work for you? Please...that's called "CHEATING".

How about the fact that I fail if I don't get it. Plus the fact I've been TRYING. A little help wouldn't hurt you know.

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
To the two people that posted in here: Just stop. You're also making yourselves look stupid. If you post in here, and don't help him, then it just means that you don't get it either.

People should be little more helpful sometimes.

Anyways, I dunno what to do. Try asking a friend that might know, or if you know anybody that's good at science, they might know. Sorry.

文偉立

newb programmer
I went to go do my History Project today and I'm quite tired. Plus, you bloody ingrates who claim I'm worthless or idiotic because I can't do this problem are just hypocritical bastards. If you don't want to help and only have something to say, then shut up. I ask for help. I don't want you to DO IT FOR ME.

I've done what I've could on my behalf and you believe I don't still spend moments to sit and contemplate on a solution only to walk in circles? That's why I ask for aid. A little common courtesy or a gesture that you're doing the whole project, is that what you imply?! >8*(

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Hm. Actually, this is an open and shut problem.

C=specific heat (the water).
C=4.18 J/goC

Completed equation: q=(10.0 grams)(4.18 J/goC)(65°C)

Just solve it. <.<

文偉立

newb programmer
Master T said:
Hm. Actually, this is an open and shut problem.

C=specific heat (the water).
C=4.18 J/goC

Completed equation: q=(10.0 grams)(4.18 J/goC)(65°C)

Just solve it. <.<

If only it were that simple. Is it really that or is it that 4.18 J/g°C is the specific heat of H20. If it were just water, It wouldn't be too hard but they specified it as food. I don't know. Am I complicating things or is that really the answer?

文偉立

newb programmer
Master T said:
There isn't a specific heat for "food" because "food" is a varied physical mixture. I think you're making it harder than it is.

Okay...Hmm...well, from first assumption, maybe but what my chemistry teacher said, he stated "You have to think" for us to solve this problem. Does that mean the answer is much more complex than just that answer?

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
Hellpark said:
I wont mind if you fail.
I wouldn't mind if you were banned again.

Boxdude (what font/language do I need to read that?!), even if what Master T suggested isn't the correct answer, there'd still at least be part marks for trying, or making an attempt. And that alwasy beats a 0 on something.

文偉立

newb programmer
Thanks and for my computer, japanese was defaulted so I wouldn't know. I DLed a program a long time ago to type in Japanese but I don't remember what it is anymore. It's an auto-start program and it was a year ago since I installed it so I don't remember what it's called. S'all right, just call me Akura.

And I'm still studying hard on this project. Thanks all. I'll keep this thread up till the day I find out the answer from my teacher.

文偉立

newb programmer
Last post and if not needed, the thread will come to an end (Double-posting just to inform those of this thread)

As my teacher has spoken, he said to use 100.0 grams of water, so rather than the food amount, m = 100.0 g.

So, as it follows:
q=mCΔT
q=(100.0 g)(4.18 J/g°C)(65°C)

So, doing a bit of simple math, the final answer was 27000. But in order to round off to significant digits, the answer required a scientific notated conversion. Therefore: 2.7 x 10^4

Now, many have put 10^3 but I don't know. 10^4 is 10000 and 10000 x 2.7 is 27000. I am like the only person who put 10^4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back