• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Character's Report Vol. 2 Translations

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
[Character's Report Vol. 1 Translations]

Ready for another blast from 2006?

I did post half of these before, but here is the entire Vol. 2 report!

Kingdom Hearts Character's Report Vol. 2

Leon
I think the 'swordsman who guides Sora' role that he originally appeared with carried over nicely into KHII. I like the scenes in both KHI and KHII where he gives Sora advice and sees him off on his journey. I'd like for him to keep on becoming more of a stoic swordsman from here on out.
--Nomura

Aerith
She is the most motherly of all the FF characters. Even in high-tension scenes, once she appears things calm down. That's how healers are, isn't it? If I get the chance to have her appear again in the future, I want to try even harder to show not just her healer side, but also how she's not as innocent as she acts.
--Nomura

Yuffie
It was easy to make her work as a character playing a part alongside the leader-type Leon and the motherly Aerith. Also, while I re-designed Leon and Aerith to fit in better with the world of KH, I kept Yuffie the same as her original FFVII counterpart.
--Nomura

Cid
You don't really expect a genius mechanical engineer to have such a dirty mouth, which I find funny. Then again, I didn't think he'd get the chance to work with such high tech devices (laughs). Many FF characters appear in Hollow Bastion, but I personally think it's only such a safe place thanks to Cid being there.
--Nomura

Cloud
Just as the characters of the Disney words retain their personalities from the original works, he is the one with the most FF-feel left to him. It wasn't fully explained, but in this title we see through him a side to the state of light and darkness that Sora cannot intervene in. His troubles with light and darkness served the role of giving Sora an objective point of view.
--Nomura

Sephiroth
He was written as a symbol of Cloud's darkness, and it's possible that just maybe he was not a corporeal human entity at all. Perhaps the sequence of scenes involving them made players feel like they were being left behind, but I'd like you to think of that as a representation of a light and darkness that Sora, and thus you as players, cannot intervene in.
--Nomura

Tifa
As a symbol of light, like Sephiroth, it's possible that she too was incorporeal. That last scene where she goes off to search for Cloud, you could say, is a metaphor for how Cloud's light still hasn't lost him, even though he's disappeared off with his darkness, and it is trying to shine on him again… I'm pretty sure I didn't manage to get all that across very well.
--Nomura

Yuna Rikku Paine
This is an example of me trying to represent FF characters differently to Leon and the others. This time they ended up making a test-run level group appearance, but if I had had enough resources, I wanted them to appear in even more of a villain role. If I have to elaborate, I think it would be funny and interesting to put them on Maleficent's side.
--Nomura

Maleficent
She is my personal favourite of all the villains. She did end up helping Sora and the others at the very end, but of course that by no way means she has become one of the good guys. Rather, it did nothing but show her in the process of becoming even more important. Chapter two for her begins here, perhaps.
--Nomura

Xemnas
He started out more as a handsome, romantic-lead type character, but his voice actor has a little 'out of control' side sometimes, and the voice shaped the character into who he is now. But, now I wouldn't be happy with Xemnas any other way. I liked the way he said 'it seems we must begin anew'. I use that line myself sometimes.
--Nomura

Xigbar
His role definitely did change thanks to the voice actor. [In Japanese] he has a way of ending his sentences with 'is what I'm saying', which was originally a once-off line, but the voice actor gave such a catchy delivery that after that we had him do it more and more. Actually, this character is still an incredibly important key to the plot. You get a little hint about that in the game.
--Nomura

Xaldin
He has the image of a medieval Chinese military commander. He is excellent at strategizing, and a powerful soldier. I'm sure the players all know that he is a contender for the first or second strongest in the Organisation. I'm satisfied that I was able to depict that strength in his personality, too. I personally really like this character.
--Nomura

Vexen
As a brains-only character, he has this undeniable loser feel to him. But, he does have a mad, scary side. He's fierce and out for himself enough that among the development staff we said Xemnas is to KHII what Vexen is to Re:COM. I like all the scenes where he loses it.
--Nomura

Lexaeus
He's a character with strength to rival Xaldin. While Xaldin has power plus technique, I'd say to Lexaeus is more of a samurai, or that he has bushido-style strength. If you listen to his very last line in Re:COM, I think you'll be able to see his spirit. I wanted to do more with this character.
--Nomura

Zexion
As he shares something like a master-servant or teacher-student relationship with Xemnas, like Saix, he is a character with strong connections. While he was the superior in that regard, perhaps that was ultimately his downfall. It is likely that if Marluxia and Axel had not betrayed him in Castle Oblivion, he would have played a central role within the Organisation.
--Nomura

Saix
While he is Number 7, a balanced and comprehensive look shows proficiency-wise he is the Organisation's Number 2. We had already decided back when making COM that he would have a berserker trait, so we created him as a character that had a combined stillness and motion. I personally want to get a little deeper into this character. I like the scene where he and Axel face off.
--Nomura

Axel
I never thought he would grow as much as he has. We originally planned to have him exit upon being defeated by Roxas during the opening of KHII, but all the staff, myself included, were strongly inclined to have him keep playing an active role after that. It's possible he will have things to do in the future, too. I tried to put that into his 'see you' line in KH2 FM+.
--Nomura

Demyx
From the beginning he was created as a light-hearted character, but his voice actor really made him stand on his own as a character despite the short appearances he had. He is by no means strong, so I think it's funny how you don't see it coming when his abilities make him a formidable opponent. His line before exiting was something I thought of on the spot and had them add in.
--Nomura

Luxord
In all honesty he is my absolute favourite Organisation member. I like how he treats everything as a gamble, like Setzer from FFVI of old. I actually wanted to make him stand out more. At least I got him to say some things during the meeting scene added to KH2 FM+... but Luxord should have been able to do so much more...
--Nomura

Marluxia
During the plotting stage we intended him to be a woman, but we thought about the balance with Larxene and made him a man. When you consider how he was entrusted with Castle Oblivion despite being Number 11 of the Organisation, you can tell just what a cunning character he is. I wasn't able to show this to you, but I'm sure you can imagine how he played the perfect 'can-do man' in front of Xemnas. He's quite the actor.
--Nomura

Larxene
She ended up being the only female character in the Organisation, but in effect it made her more of an individual, which I think is good. I had a firm image of her voice, so hers was the very first voice actor we decided on. Adding that voice made her all the more brutal, didn't it? As for that hairstyle. I'm the one who drew it and it's still a mystery to me. ...Why did I give her that hair?
--Nomura

DiZ
In a way, his character is a bit of a red herring. We do reveal exactly who he is in this title, but we created the game with the thought in mind to draw the player's focus by depicting him as a complete villain while he is DiZ. I like the joke in the scene about the black coats added to Re:CoM.
--Nomura

Ansem
I feel that the things he says aren't simply the cheap lines that villains always spout, but that his words are, in a way, about the essence of things. When he says, "a meaningless effort. One who knows nothing can understand nothing," that is my favourite line from KHI. Correct! For me personally, there is a lot about Ansem that I can empathise with.
--Nomura

Ansem the Wise
Ansem is the boss of KHI, and Xemnas is the boss of KHII. As this character was a mentor to both of them, when casting his voice actor we were very careful to bring in someone who could give us a voice that paid dues to that fact. Of course one of the greats truly delivered. You can truly feel the majesty and dignity. Actually, I designed his face in the booth while listening to the voice being recorded.
--Nomura

Olympus Coliseum
In KHI we weren't really able to give Hercules facial expressions or anything, so I was glad that in KHII with the appearance of Megara and such we were able to depict his original character and his conflicts as a hero. Also, I was very satisfied that in KHII I was able to give the Hydra a big role, which I had wanted to do for a long time.
--Nomura

Neverland
I think I got the characters' cheeky personality across. The concept of Sora and the others flying was born because Neverland was in KHI. That is one thing that makes it a very special part of KHI. I think there are still things to do in that world. I want it to play an active part again in the future.
--Nomura

Agrabah
As there is a plotline that unfolds where you get to partner up with Genie, rather than focusing on how to depict Aladdin, my approach while writing focused on how to depict Genie through Aladdin. Aladdin and Genie's friendship is a connection that others cannot enter, just like the friendship between Sora, Donald and Goofy, so if I was able to depict the jealousy and the heartwarming-ness I am happy.
--Nomura

Deep Jungle
The character of Tarzan, who communicated not with words but with his heart via emotions, made this world a perfect fit for KHI, but it hasn't appeared in CoM or since then. I'd like to touch on that character again, if there is a chance, though.
--Nomura

The Land Of Dragons
The truth is, I wasn't sure I could represent Mulan's world properly, and I wavered right until the end over whether to include it. However, when I saw the pictures of the finished product, I was very glad that I did have it appear. I think perhaps the avalanche scene and the like, which are setting-related viewpoints we aren't able to show in other worlds, may leave an impression.
--Nomura

Port Royal
Jack, as those who have seen the movie will know, is a character with unique actions, like his smooth hand gestures. When it comes to live action works such as this, we can't deviate from the category of ways real humans move, so the difficulties are different from those of cel animated works. Despite that, I think we did well with scenes such as the one where Jack flips the medallion to test it.
--Nomura

Beast’s Castle
Primarily, Disney characters can't go to other worlds, but in KHI Beast violates that ban. In a way, I wrote him with the image of a man that is ahead of Sora. In KHII we made his world, Beast's Castle, a setting, and got to tell his original story.
--Nomura

Space Paranoids
The character we depicted in KHII as 'Tron' is completely different from the original movie. Also, I thought the finished product, a new world inside a computer that was deeply related to the main plot of KHII, was very interesting. I hope you were able to see the last parting scene in the little window during the credits.
--Nomura

Translation note: re-watching the KHII credits not advised. Translator may or may not be currently crying due to surprise Auron-related emotions.

Last edited:

Zebedy

Awards
Luxord
In all honesty he is my absolute favourite Organisation member. I like how he treats everything as a gamble, like Setzer from FFVI of old. I actually wanted to make him stand out more. At least I got him to say some things during the meeting scene added to KH2 FM+... but Luxord should have been able to do so much more...
--Nomura
And yet he still refuses to actually give Luxord anything to do! Argh!

Thanks for the translations goldplanner they were great.

Anthony12KH

"Vexen "
As a brains-only character, he has this undeniable loser feel to him.

You showed that perfectly. lol

"Xigbar "

Actually, this character is still an incredibly important key to the plot. You get a little hint about that in the game.

Definitely cant miss it.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
About the Ansem the Wise report, is he talking about Christopher Lee? I thought all his thoughts about the voice actors were based on the Japanese version, but I'm not sure if they also have a hand in the English voices.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
About the Ansem the Wise report, is he talking about Christopher Lee? I thought all his thoughts about the voice actors were based on the Japanese version, but I'm not sure if they also have a hand in the English voices.

I'm sure he was talking about the Japanese voice actor, but Nomura does have some say in the english voices. He personally requested Haley Joel Osment. And had a hand in asking for Eraqus and Xehanort, and he seems to be very impressed with Willa Holland. I'm sure Lee was also his idea.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
And yet he still refuses to actually give Luxord anything to do! Argh!

Thanks for the translations goldplanner they were great.

I KNOW I wanted so much more for Luxord :C

No worries! Also, there's only one L in goldpanner ;)

Well, since this interview was released after FM+, which had the English voices, for a moment I thought you could be right. But then I realised if he designed AtW's face in the recording booth then it had to have been the Japanese VA he meant. Cause I am pretty sure the English version of KH2 wasn't recorded before the Japanese version.

sonickenshin

Awards
Xemnas
He started out more as a handsome, romantic-lead type character, but his voice actor has a little 'out of control' side sometimes, and the voice shaped the character into who he is now. But, now I wouldn't be happy with Xemnas any other way. I liked the way he said 'it seems we must begin anew'. I use that line myself sometimes.
--Nomura

....Oh, Wakamoto-san, what did you do this time? XD;

Synthic

Translation note: re-watching the KHII credits not advised. Translator may or may not be currently crying due to surprise Auron-related emotions.

Oh my...! I didn't play FF10 until some years ago, after playing KH2, so I didn't think too much of it then, but now after re-watching the credits and knowing his story... Should have taken your advise, but that was a truly brilliant touch though :)

Wander

You mean we could have potentially had MORE LUXORD?!

We missed out big time.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Brilliant, thanks for the translations Goldpanner :3

Okay, those comments about characters like Leon are nice, since he's essentially giving us hints about how their roles might be in KH3.

I'm also pretty sure he's right about not having been able to get everything across very well in regards to Tifa. It's been somewhat of a
problem with Nomura and his games/films, though after KH2 and Advent Children, I think he's learned his lesson ... You can see that in Advent Children Complete, since most of the added scenes focus on making it clearer and easier to understand.

As to his decision to make Marluxia a man because it would've balanced things out with Larxene? I disagree, seeing as having two women against 11 male organization members would still be way off balanced. Also having two women running the show in CoM would've been so awesome!

"For me personally, there is a lot about Ansem that I can empathise with."

Like how darkness is our true essence? Damn Nomura, you sad :(

Nial

Awards
She ended up being the only female character in the Organisation, but in effect it made her more of an individual, which I think is good. I had a firm image of her voice, so hers was the very first voice actor we decided on. Adding that voice made her all the more brutal, didn't it? As for that hairstyle. I'm the one who drew it and it's still a mystery to me. ...Why did I give her that hair?

this is amazingnothingtoseehere

Spikeyroxas

Is that comment about larxenes hair important?
will we see her "somebody"?

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh my...! I didn't play FF10 until some years ago, after playing KH2, so I didn't think too much of it then, but now after re-watching the credits and knowing his story... Should have taken your advise, but that was a truly brilliant touch though :)

Ahhhhhhhh Auron ;_____;

That's probably my favourite thing about Kingdom Hearts. I think they are (usually lol) so good at hitting nostalgia buttons in ways you don't expect, happy and sad. So many great tiny touches.

You mean we could have potentially had MORE LUXORD?!

We missed out big time.

I KNOW. It makes me irrationally cranky at the wasted potential in Days all over again...

Brilliant, thanks for the translations Goldpanner :3

Okay, those comments about characters like Leon are nice, since he's essentially giving us hints about how their roles might be in KH3.

I'm also pretty sure he's right about not having been able to get everything across very well in regards to Tifa. It's been somewhat of a
problem with Nomura and his games/films, though after KH2 and Advent Children, I think he's learned his lesson ... You can see that in Advent Children Complete, since most of the added scenes focus on making it clearer and easier to understand.

As to his decision to make Marluxia a man because it would've balanced things out with Larxene? I disagree, seeing as having two women against 11 male organization members would still be way off balanced. Also having two women running the show in CoM would've been so awesome!

No worries! I have something else nostalgic up my sleeve, so look forward to it, mwahahaaa...

Regarding the Leon comments, it definitely seems like he has had a plan like that floating around, but keeping in mind that this information is from 2006, I wouldn't bank too hard on it coming to fruition. They have such a massive cast of original KH characters now that more recent games have seen FF taking a back seat. We had none in Days unless the Moogle counts, only Zack in BBS, no new FF characters in Coded and only the TWEWY cast in DDD, compared to the 20 or so from KH1/CoM/KH2.

I personally hope the FF characters are still relevant and new awesome cameos happen, because it is honestly one of my favourite things about the series. I remember playing KH2 for the first time not knowing any spoilers and nearly exploding when Auron showed up. AURONNNN!! So, I hope you're right, but yeah. This only proves what he was thinking eight years ago.

And oh my god I completely agree about the 'balancing' thing. Like if 'balance' was so important why weren't there any females in the basement gang to 'balance' the all male party going on down there? Or any females to 'balance' the KH2 villain group?

Honestly though I do see how 'only two females in the Organisation are the power grabbing backstabbers who need to be purged' not really looking all that great, even though the two women running the castle would have been awesome, but then the solution there is to make more of the XIII female. But we can't have that right...

Is that comment about larxenes hair important?
will we see her "somebody"?

No, it's just a joke he's making about his silly design!

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
And oh my god I completely agree about the 'balancing' thing. Like if 'balance' was so important why weren't there any females in the basement gang to 'balance' the all male party going on down there? Or any females to 'balance' the KH2 villain group?

Honestly though I do see how 'only two females in the Organisation are the power grabbing backstabbers who need to be purged' not really looking all that great, even though the two women running the castle would have been awesome, but then the solution there is to make more of the XIII female. But we can't have that right...

Maybe it could've been a more fleshed out reason for why they might have wanted to rebel against Xemnas in the first place. They could've had him treating the women as lesser members or some stuff ... Not sure if it's appropriate for a series such as KH, but it's fun to imagine it nevertheless xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back