• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Character of the Week 2.0

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Character of the Week

[ Week Six; Theme: Scourge ]

ISbD3Fr.png

What is CotW?
Character of the Week is a weekly contest originally inspired by Solar's Poem of the Week. Any KHI member is allowed to submit a character, based on the week's theme, to be chosen by their peers via an anonymous listing of the characters. The character with the most votes wins. The main purpose of this contest is to generate creativity and motivation in the section, but there are awards, to be sure.​

So how does this all work?
Everyone will be allowed one week to construct a character based on the week's theme. At the end of the week, no more characters will be accepted for that week and an additional week will be given to allow for the voting. Meanwhile, the next week will begin alongside the voting.​

Okay, so how do I submit my characters?
Send them to me via private messages and, once the submission week is over, the characters will anonymously be listed in a voting thread. Once there, every member will be allowed to vote for their two favorite characters. And of course, the submission with the most votes wins and will be listed in this post.​

So how does this theme thing work? Does that mean I can only make characters a certain way?
Not at all! I want you to be able to implement a theme into a character in any way you can. If the theme were Iron, you could make an iron man, a man with an iron will, or even a man trapped within an iron statue. As long as it incorporates the theme in some shape or form, be as straightforward or abstract as you like.​

So you said something about an award?
Aye, that I did. If you win during one of the weeks, that excited, little fellow up there can be all yours. But that's not it! As we progress, and members are able to accumulate numerous victories, more awards might be added.​

But I've a few questions you haven't covered!
Feel free to post them in the thread. After all, it's main purpose, apart from keeping track of the winners, is for discussion.​

~*~

Winning Submissions
Week #Character NameMember NameThemeDifficulty
1Dr. Durian FigusHiddenPlantEasy
2The Doomsday MachineOmniChaosGearEasy
3Felix V. HastingSugar LipsLuxuryNormal
4The PatientHiddenBloodNormal
5------ScrapeHard
6------ScourgeHard

Last edited:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Omnichaos said:
But I've a few questions you haven't covered!
1) Can we reuse/repurpose already written characters and character templates for Character of the Week?

2) Can we use non-original (i.e. canon) characters, provided we write an original template and can connect them to the theme?

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
1) Can we reuse/repurpose already written characters and character templates for Character of the Week?

Yes, I would say that would be fine.

2) Can we use non-original (i.e. canon) characters, provided we write an original template and can connect them to the theme?

I'm a bit on the fence on this one, but for the time being, I'll go ahead and say no, simply because the idea is to make people think outside the box and their comfort zone, not rely on a character created by someone else.

KHRULER

Awards
I don't think the How Does This Work was explained enough.Like whats the whole process?Do we have to describe our character?

Last edited:

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I honestly can't think of a character that would fit this week's theme (though you never know ;0;), but I really want to participate in this at some point! It sounds like lots of fun~ ;w;

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
I don't think the How Does This Work was explained enough.Like whats the whole process?Do we have to describe our character?

Every week there will be a new theme posted. At the same time, the voting for the previous week's theme will also be posted. You are allowed a week to submit a character for that week's theme, and do so to me via pms.

As for how to present your submission, that is up to you. You could make it like a character template or do a short story. You can make it straightforward or as complex and conceptual as you wish.

Though sometimes seeing is better than explaining, so here's a few examples from the previous time around:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
The deadline for this initial theme is two weeks from the date this thread was created, so it'd be the 18th.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Haven't heard anything from this in awhile. I've almost got my character written up, but I hope it won't be the only submission for this week!

or maybe I do. makes it easier to win that way.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The deadline for this initial theme is two weeks from the date this thread was created, so it'd be the 18th.

I really can't wait to see what everyone has submitted for the contest. I've been looking forward to voting all week. =D

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Week One's voting thread is now up. I'm guessing the theme proved a bit more challenging than was intended. Regardless, you can find the week's voting thread >>HERE<<

Further, Week Two's theme is ready and is: Gear. I'm expecting this theme might be a bit easier to work with, and am looking forward to some good submissions.

That aside, I was wondering what the general consensus was regarding the allotted time between themes? From this point onward, the theme will be changing to one every week. If most feel that isn't enough time, the allotted time can be expanded to every two weeks, like this initial theme, if it is thought that it needs to be.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Obviously late post:

I think two weeks would work better, especially if the same people want to participate in consecutive weeks. Maybe this is a personal failing, but I would be hard-pressed to put out two original characters in two weeks, however abbreviated they may be.

However, if other people have already submitted their characters within the 1 week time limit, I can't complain!

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
So, while we decide upon a time allotment, be it one or two weeks, I'll extend week 2's submission phase for another week. Please, provide feedback concerning what you feel the submission time frame should be, as I want to make it comfortable enough for everyone to be able to submit a character if they want to, without it dragging. So please: feedback.

In the meantime, I would like to announce Hidden's submission of Dr. Durian Figus as Week One's winner. Congrats.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thanks! Special appreciation, of course, to OmniChaos for putting this back together and to Sugar Lips for submitting the other template, which was excellent! Also thanks to all (seven) people who voted! Hopefully we can get more participation soon, but it's a start!

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Excellent response this week, guys. Week #2's voting thread has now been posted and can be found >>here<<

Now that we are all a little more used to how things go around here, I'm going to step up the difficulty a bit on this next one from easy to normal. Week Three's theme is: Luxury.

Further, considering I did get a submission during the second week, the submission period will henceforth be two weeks. Again, if people feel that it is too long, it can be shorten back down to one week, however, it will be extended any further than two weeks.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
My submission of The Doomsday Machine won the week's vote; I thank those who voted for my submission.

In other news, we could use some submissions for this week's theme, as we currently have none.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Okay, so I felt I've waited long enough. With only one person sending in an actual submission, Sugar Lips, automatically wins week three's theme of Luxury. Her submission is as follows:

Sugar Lips said:
I'm not sure if you're still keeping this going, but making this up on the spot. Sorry for not sending you anything. My internet was out. Fear not! I shall come to your rescue!

Name: Felix V.Hasting

Personality: A charmer. A ladies man. A scoundrel. A top of the notch guy. The twist? This guy has a second personality that's in the form of a women inside of a man's body. Quite vexing for the young man, who tries to hide it on a daily basis.

Appearance: Felix has a feminine facial look. High cheek bones without a trace of a beard that he's been desperately trying to grow out. His hair appears platinum, but is often dyed black to be kept hidden and kept back in a small ponytail. Green eyes that have an eerie look to them. He is somewhat muscular toned in the upper arms and chest. He wears a black jacket, smokes a cigarette, wears hipster glasses and black jeans.

Job: Felix does manual labor for a living in the ship yard. On the weekends, he's playing host or working the bar. Unless his feminine personality takes control then he's cross dressing and singing on stage in a sparkly purple dress with tacky makeup.

Bio: Its quite a long story. Felix was struck by a baseball bat at the age of twelve. Yes, a wooden baseball bat had clobbered him on the head by a jealous eleven year old. The fight itself was a silly one, but it brought out the hidden personality lurking in the boy's heart. At that time, Felix parent's were quite wealthy and apart of a country club. It wasn't until Felix started dressing up, trying on makeup and wearing bras that they had to send him away to his aunts. Of course, they loved him, but they couldn't let something so scandalous be found out. They sued the eleven year old boy's parents, trying to get a cure for this alternate personality, but it was a permanent deal. Felix himself wasn't aware of his other personality, and shortly after, grew to talking to himself and living with it. He made odd ball friends in high school, and didn't mind missing out on the luxury his parents had on a daily basis. Instead he treasured the friendship he had that was real.

Week Four's theme will be Blood, and unlike this previous one, I hope I will actually get some submissions this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back