• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Character Development In New KH Trilogy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Now that the Xehanort saga is done, a lot of character arcs (IE Riku) have been "wrapped up" and there's now a clean slate for the characters to work with and flesh out their character more. What would you like to see for characters in KHIV-VI?

Sora - I liked the direction they're going with him in KH3. It felt like Sora matured and realized that eventually he would have to pay for his haphazard and crazy sacrifices. It would be interesting to see him hesitant to jump into action again because of what happened to Kairi. He could maybe be afraid that his actions cause his friends to get hurt. I would like to see a "scarred" Sora and a nice 3 game arc that results in him facing his fears in KHVI. His doubt and fears can cause him to make errors in judgement, and I think that could be a unique take on his visits to Disney worlds.

Riku - He is tough. I'm not sure where he can go after his brilliant arc in the Xehanort Saga. I guess I can see him transitioning into a more wise keyblade master role. It would be cool to see Sora become jealous of Riku's ability to overcome the darkness and mastery of the keyblade. He doesn't feud with Riku, but seeing Riku do so well would cause Sora to come down on himself more.

Kairi - Since she didn't have much going for her before, I think they need to just shove as much KHUX onto her as possible so that Nomura will actually care about her. Make her related to Girl X somehow (maybe Girl X was transferred into Kairi then sent to Destiny Islands) or maybe have Ava connected to Kairi. Whatever it takes for Nomura to give her a solid 3 game arc. I would love if Sora was going through what I wrote above, and Kairi was actually tagging along with him to help and she saves him from his fears. I just want Sora and Kairi to spend more time together and have Kairi actually do something non-magical to help Sora.

Terra - I can see him working with Riku to become a keyblade master and also to work on the darkness inside of him. Terra and Riku can become better friends, especially because Terra was the one who gave Riku the ability to wield.

Aqua - I would love to see her transition into a Master Eraqus role and also a motherly role to Ventus. When (inevitably) the KHUX stuff gets shoved onto Ven, I want Aqua to be there to protect Ven AND to be all up in the Foretellers madness.

Roxas - As much as I love Roxas (favourite character), I don't want to see him return for the next trilogy as an active keyblade wielder. I rather see him living an ordinary life in Twilight Town... although with Lea and Isa chasing Girl X, I feel that Roxas (and Xion) will be there for him. I loved angsty/emo Roxas so much and I loved his arc. Now that he's not angsty/emo, I'm not sure where he can go besides "supportive friend" of Lea.

Namine - First off, she needs to be confirmed as Riku's girlfriend. Secondly, she needs her powers to be upgraded so that she can assume a Professor X/Oracle type of role in the KH world. I would love for her to be the one who briefs Riku on missions and stays connected to him telepathically while he's in the field. I'm hoping to see her in a more supportive role, where she researches/discovers stuff (maybe work with Aerith in Radiant Garden, since Namine is now Queen of Radiant Garden). It would be really cool if she became an advocate for Girl X (if they find her) and her memories are lost.

Xion - I adore Xion so much (second favourite character). I would love for the games to explore Xion/Riku's relationship more, maybe her struggles with freedom? It would be amazing to see her wonder about her purpose in life, since she was a puppet made to be manipulated and then she was a "real person" made to be "saved". She might wonder whether she should use the keyblade or not -- because her entire purpose was focused on the keyblade, but is that what she really wants? She can't differentiate between what she wants and what she knows. I really wish this struggle could be played out for Xion, but it probably never will.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This is an interesting topic. My desired developments are somewhat similar to yours.

Let's start with RAXIN. I feel all these characters kind of have the same motive going of having to redefine themselves now that their free of both the Organisation and Ansem the Wise.

For Roxas and Xion, I basically want to see them be retired to support or side characters for the majority of the upcoming story arc They wanted to live normal lives and I feel like they should get that. The story arc I see for them is for them to try and figure out what kind of life they want now, that they are free to choose. Maybe have them enroll in the Twilight Town High School but be on-stand by in case Axel or the others needs them.
That said I do find it hard to imagine them not tagging along with Axel on his quest, but perhaps he'd insist on it enough that they'd be willing to just be on stand by.

Namine I feel would similarly be have a story arc of figuring out what she wants now that she's free to choose maybe even have her not sure what world she should belong to. Her story arc would be about her not just finding her place, but recognizing she is wanted and has friends. A big part of her arc would involve her developing and deepening her bonds to other characters.
I could see her maybe become an Oracle type character as the arc moves forward. Her powers to see into the memories of others will always remain helpful.

With Axel I can only see him embark on a new quest to find the missing Subject X mostly likely with Isa. His story arc would probably be about mending a broken friendship, developing his past live in RG a bit and probably him trying to figure out what his friendship with Xion and Roxas will be like now that they're no longer tied to the Organisation.
It'd also be nice if now that everything is over he'd reflect on his actions in the Org and try hard to make amends for it.

Isa would probably continue his redemption arc. Working to make amends with Xion and Roxas, as well as all the others he's hurt. I'd prefer him to be a supporting character, but considering his role in the search for subject X, it'd be hard seeing him sit this out. Unless he feels his attempts at finding her has already caused enough hurt and harm.

For the Wayfinder trio moving forward I feel we need to see more of them together and the type of relationship they have together are they like really close classmates or more like siblings.

I'd see a redemption arc and maybe a PTSD arc for Terra. He'd have to recover from a decade long abusive relationship, in which he'd been used to do horrendous act. He'd have to deal with the guilt of it all and come to terms that it happened, but he wasn't in control. I feel Riku could help him with this.
Perhaps because of what happened, he'd be overly protective of Aqua and Ven, especially given their Master's final wish.

Aqua, would have to deal with the aftermath of her time spent in the realm of Darkness, the fact she froze during the War and take on the role as Master of the Land of Departure, all the while while being there for her friends.
I could easily see her being involved in the story arc exploring Ven's ties to KHUX, maybe even be one of the blue blooded wielders Xehanort mentioned, descending from the dandelions, giving us more on the history of the LoD and Scala.

Ven's story arc would be pretty straight forward, him learning more about his past. I kind of expect him to remain his kind hearted helpful self.

With the Destiny Trio, I similarly feel the need to have their relationship better showcased. While we know the nature of their relationships, we haven't seen much of it. I'd want more interactions between all three but also between the neglected Riku and Kairi friendship.

With Sora i feel like I'd like him to seem him learn from the consequences of his actions. Perhaps he'd start acting more aggressively like he did in CoM. I'd kind of like to see a s two stage development for him. One where he learns to be more serious and mindful of his actions, maybe even a bit scared to act and then in the second stage learn to losen up again and mirage his old carefree behavior with his more serious and mindful attitude. By the end he'd still be the Sora we all know and love, but he'd think things through a bit more.

For Riku I can't really see where his character arc would go from here. He's already overcome his short coming and learned to relax a bit. As for story arc, he'll definetly be going after Sora and would hopefully be lending Kairi some support, maybe even take on a mentor role for her as they try and save Sora.

Kairi as she is now is basically a blank slate and I really want that to change. I want to see her using what happend in the Xehanort Saga as the catalyst for her Hero's Journey where she grows as an adventurer and we learn more about her. I want to her to look into her past and learn about the light within her. Examine how much of KH1 she experienced, what she did for most of KH2, there were hints that she did more than just sit and chat with HPO while in Twilight town.
I need to see her platonic interactions with Riku and Sora, I want her form bonds and friendships outside of her trio.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
This is an interesting topic. My desired developments are somewhat similar to yours.

Let's start with RAXIN. I feel all these characters kind of have the same motive going of having to redefine themselves now that their free of both the Organisation and Ansem the Wise.

For Roxas and Xion, I basically want to see them be retired to support or side characters for the majority of the upcoming story arc They wanted to live normal lives and I feel like they should get that. The story arc I see for them is for them to try and figure out what kind of life they want now, that they are free to choose. Maybe have them enroll in the Twilight Town High School but be on-stand by in case Axel or the others needs them.
That said I do find it hard to imagine them not tagging along with Axel on his quest, but perhaps he'd insist on it enough that they'd be willing to just be on stand by.

Namine I feel would similarly be have a story arc of figuring out what she wants now that she's free to choose maybe even have her not sure what world she should belong to. Her story arc would be about her not just finding her place, but recognizing she is wanted and has friends. A big part of her arc would involve her developing and deepening her bonds to other characters.
I could see her maybe become an Oracle type character as the arc moves forward. Her powers to see into the memories of others will always remain helpful.

With Axel I can only see him embark on a new quest to find the missing Subject X mostly likely with Isa. His story arc would probably be about mending a broken friendship, developing his past live in RG a bit and probably him trying to figure out what his friendship with Xion and Roxas will be like now that they're no longer tied to the Organisation.
It'd also be nice if now that everything is over he'd reflect on his actions in the Org and try hard to make amends for it.

Isa would probably continue his redemption arc. Working to make amends with Xion and Roxas, as well as all the others he's hurt. I'd prefer him to be a supporting character, but considering his role in the search for subject X, it'd be hard seeing him sit this out. Unless he feels his attempts at finding her has already caused enough hurt and harm.

For the Wayfinder trio moving forward I feel we need to see more of them together and the type of relationship they have together are they like really close classmates or more like siblings.

I'd see a redemption arc and maybe a PTSD arc for Terra. He'd have to recover from a decade long abusive relationship, in which he'd been used to do horrendous act. He'd have to deal with the guilt of it all and come to terms that it happened, but he wasn't in control. I feel Riku could help him with this.
Perhaps because of what happened, he'd be overly protective of Aqua and Ven, especially given their Master's final wish.

Aqua, would have to deal with the aftermath of her time spent in the realm of Darkness, the fact she froze during the War and take on the role as Master of the Land of Departure, all the while while being there for her friends.
I could easily see her being involved in the story arc exploring Ven's ties to KHUX, maybe even be one of the blue blooded wielders Xehanort mentioned, descending from the dandelions, giving us more on the history of the LoD and Scala.

Ven's story arc would be pretty straight forward, him learning more about his past. I kind of expect him to remain his kind hearted helpful self.

With the Destiny Trio, I similarly feel the need to have their relationship better showcased. While we know the nature of their relationships, we haven't seen much of it. I'd want more interactions between all three but also between the neglected Riku and Kairi friendship.

With Sora i feel like I'd like him to seem him learn from the consequences of his actions. Perhaps he'd start acting more aggressively like he did in CoM. I'd kind of like to see a s two stage development for him. One where he learns to be more serious and mindful of his actions, maybe even a bit scared to act and then in the second stage learn to losen up again and mirage his old carefree behavior with his more serious and mindful attitude. By the end he'd still be the Sora we all know and love, but he'd think things through a bit more.

For Riku I can't really see where his character arc would go from here. He's already overcome his short coming and learned to relax a bit. As for story arc, he'll definetly be going after Sora and would hopefully be lending Kairi some support, maybe even take on a mentor role for her as they try and save Sora.

Kairi as she is now is basically a blank slate and I really want that to change. I want to see her using what happend in the Xehanort Saga as the catalyst for her Hero's Journey where she grows as an adventurer and we learn more about her. I want to her to look into her past and learn about the light within her. Examine how much of KH1 she experienced, what she did for most of KH2, there were hints that she did more than just sit and chat with HPO while in Twilight town.
I need to see her platonic interactions with Riku and Sora, I want her form bonds and friendships outside of her trio.
Regarding Kairi, I feel like I need to see her interact with Riku and Sora more than people outside her trio. They've always been separated and had very few moments together. I really would like to see a decent amount of time devoted to building their friendship. We've seen Kairi with Hayner, Pence, Olette, Axel, and Namine. I would also like to see Kairi and Aqua talk, maybe about becoming stronger. Kairi might be inspired by what Aqua did to save her friends and wants to do the same for Sora (after he dies).

I definitely want to see Sora be afraid/mindful of the consequences of his actions. I really want to see him scared and alone when he wakes up in Shibuya and has to play the Reaper's Game. I'm hoping that they don't hold back and literally tell him that if you fail you will die, maybe even break the 4th Wall a bit and include stuff like no hearts transferring into someone else or going back in time or a mysterious light saving you, you straight up die. I would love to play a game where Sora has that lingering in his heart -- that he can actually die. Maybe he can even second guess himself as a hero, and believe that his role as a "hero" is up (that makes me think of The Incredibles being the first Disney world to visit after Shibuya).

Aqua wallowing in despair for freezing at the Keyblade Graveyard and for "turning to the dark side" would be more effective if KH3 did more with her. I would like to see her genuinely recover from her trauma in the Realm of Darkness, but who knows if they will even be able to slip in that storyline when KHIV will have to educate everyone on KHUX.

I am dying for a Riku and Terra friendship to be fleshed out. Terra chose Riku, then Terra fell to darkness. Riku also fell to darkness, but was able to overcome it (unlike Terra). It can be a pseudo-father/son relationship.

I completely forgot about Namine feeling like no one wanted her or cared about her in KH3 -- that everyone was focused on saving Roxas. I feel like Xion and Namine can bond over this as people knew about Namine, but never really reached out to her and everyone literally forgot about Xion.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Regarding Kairi, I feel like I need to see her interact with Riku and Sora more than people outside her trio. They've always been separated and had very few moments together. I really would like to see a decent amount of time devoted to building their friendship. We've seen Kairi with Hayner, Pence, Olette, Axel, and Namine. I would also like to see Kairi and Aqua talk, maybe about becoming stronger. Kairi might be inspired by what Aqua did to save her friends and wants to do the same for Sora (after he dies).

Well if we're just talking a one game story arc I'd agree the focus would have to be on her trio, but if we're talking a saga story arc I feel her bonds with Naminé, Axel, Aqua and even HPO should be revisited and strengthed. She has a lot of development to catch up on.

Axel would be a good friend for her to revisit her past with. They both have a past in the same town, that they've yet to face again.

Aqua and Naminé would be friends well suited to help her learn more about the PoH and the dangers of fighting darkness with pure and brith light.

I definitely want to see Sora be afraid/mindful of the consequences of his actions. I really want to see him scared and alone when he wakes up in Shibuya and has to play the Reaper's Game. I'm hoping that they don't hold back and literally tell him that if you fail you will die, maybe even break the 4th Wall a bit and include stuff like no hearts transferring into someone else or going back in time or a mysterious light saving you, you straight up die. I would love to play a game where Sora has that lingering in his heart -- that he can actually die. Maybe he can even second guess himself as a hero, and believe that his role as a "hero" is up (that makes me think of The Incredibles being the first Disney world to visit after Shibuya).

I think Sora would have to learn that his actions have consequences, not just for himself, but also for his friends. So while he might be okay with sacraficing himself for them, he needs to be aware of the pain that'll cause them.

Him being flatout told the miracles that usually save him wont work this time would be good, but the game would also have to stick to it.

Aqua wallowing in despair for freezing at the Keyblade Graveyard and for "turning to the dark side" would be more effective if KH3 did more with her. I would like to see her genuinely recover from her trauma in the Realm of Darkness, but who knows if they will even be able to slip in that storyline when KHIV will have to educate everyone on KHUX.

I wasn't thinking of her wallowing in dispair, but more taking her freezing as a sign she needs to work on herself and learn to process and deal with her time in the RoD, so she can properly move forward without putting her friends at risk.

I'm thinking of this as a more minor character arc, where she learns it's okay to be scared, but not let it freeze her again. (I just never want to see her give up like that again)

Also I have the feeling KH4 will expect everyone to be up to date with KHUX and not bother catching people up. Like how KH3 didn't care, if you only played kh1 and kh2.

I am dying for a Riku and Terra friendship to be fleshed out. Terra chose Riku, then Terra fell to darkness. Riku also fell to darkness, but was able to overcome it (unlike Terra). It can be a pseudo-father/son relationship.

I'd see them more as big and little brothers, with the roles being a bit flipped from what you'd expect.

Riku playing the role of the big brother helping amd guiding Terra on the right path and teaching him to actually use the darkness for good.

I completely forgot about Namine feeling like no one wanted her or cared about her in KH3 -- that everyone was focused on saving Roxas. I feel like Xion and Namine can bond over this as people knew about Namine, but never really reached out to her and everyone literally forgot about Xion.

Yeah I feel like Xion could relate to being forgotten and have spent a life treated as a tool for other's goals. (In a meta sense i feel like Kairi would sadly also fit this)

Naminè's story so far has been one of being held captive by someone seeking to use her and her powers. Now she's in a place to live freely.

I don't want to see her stop being shy, but it'd be nice if she got to develop some feeling of belonging and get a bit of a confidence boost.

Zach2

Now that the Xehanort saga is done, a lot of character arcs (IE Riku) have been "wrapped up" and there's now a clean slate for the characters to work with and flesh out their character more. What would you like to see for characters in KHIV-VI?

Sora - I liked the direction they're going with him in KH3. It felt like Sora matured and realized that eventually he would have to pay for his haphazard and crazy sacrifices. It would be interesting to see him hesitant to jump into action again because of what happened to Kairi. He could maybe be afraid that his actions cause his friends to get hurt. I would like to see a "scarred" Sora and a nice 3 game arc that results in him facing his fears in KHVI. His doubt and fears can cause him to make errors in judgement, and I think that could be a unique take on his visits to Disney worlds.

Riku - He is tough. I'm not sure where he can go after his brilliant arc in the Xehanort Saga. I guess I can see him transitioning into a more wise keyblade master role. It would be cool to see Sora become jealous of Riku's ability to overcome the darkness and mastery of the keyblade. He doesn't feud with Riku, but seeing Riku do so well would cause Sora to come down on himself more.

Kairi - Since she didn't have much going for her before, I think they need to just shove as much KHUX onto her as possible so that Nomura will actually care about her. Make her related to Girl X somehow (maybe Girl X was transferred into Kairi then sent to Destiny Islands) or maybe have Ava connected to Kairi. Whatever it takes for Nomura to give her a solid 3 game arc. I would love if Sora was going through what I wrote above, and Kairi was actually tagging along with him to help and she saves him from his fears. I just want Sora and Kairi to spend more time together and have Kairi actually do something non-magical to help Sora.

Terra - I can see him working with Riku to become a keyblade master and also to work on the darkness inside of him. Terra and Riku can become better friends, especially because Terra was the one who gave Riku the ability to wield.

Aqua - I would love to see her transition into a Master Eraqus role and also a motherly role to Ventus. When (inevitably) the KHUX stuff gets shoved onto Ven, I want Aqua to be there to protect Ven AND to be all up in the Foretellers madness.

Roxas - As much as I love Roxas (favourite character), I don't want to see him return for the next trilogy as an active keyblade wielder. I rather see him living an ordinary life in Twilight Town... although with Lea and Isa chasing Girl X, I feel that Roxas (and Xion) will be there for him. I loved angsty/emo Roxas so much and I loved his arc. Now that he's not angsty/emo, I'm not sure where he can go besides "supportive friend" of Lea.

Namine - First off, she needs to be confirmed as Riku's girlfriend. Secondly, she needs her powers to be upgraded so that she can assume a Professor X/Oracle type of role in the KH world. I would love for her to be the one who briefs Riku on missions and stays connected to him telepathically while he's in the field. I'm hoping to see her in a more supportive role, where she researches/discovers stuff (maybe work with Aerith in Radiant Garden, since Namine is now Queen of Radiant Garden). It would be really cool if she became an advocate for Girl X (if they find her) and her memories are lost.

Xion - I adore Xion so much (second favourite character). I would love for the games to explore Xion/Riku's relationship more, maybe her struggles with freedom? It would be amazing to see her wonder about her purpose in life, since she was a puppet made to be manipulated and then she was a "real person" made to be "saved". She might wonder whether she should use the keyblade or not -- because her entire purpose was focused on the keyblade, but is that what she really wants? She can't differentiate between what she wants and what she knows. I really wish this struggle could be played out for Xion, but it probably never will.
I also want Sora and Kairi to spend more time together

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I also want Sora and Kairi to spend more time together

My dream scenario is still for us to get a world where Kairi, Riku and Sora form a party together, with or without Donald and Goofy.

Just imagine all the fun banter and interactions.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'll just do a little at a time.

Sora - Face My Fears and AdrianXXII covered most of what I'd like.
Whether Sora plays the Reapers Game or not, I want him to become more self-reliant. Boy's all about "My friends are my power." but now he's in a situation were that's possibly taken away. It could be a bit difficult to pull off when the Reapers Game is meant to be a two-man team, but it'd be a nice change of pace for Sora to have a teammate who's too self-reliant and refuses to help Sora.

Riku - Riku isn't Riku when he's not down on himself! This has to do with my criticisms on Riku in KH3, but having Riku feel that in his concern for Sora during the majority of KH3, he became ignorant to Sora's own feelings and skill. Riku finally letting Sora do what his heart and mind are set on during the ending making him feeling responsible for Sora's death and that it didn't have to be this way if he trusted Sora from the beginning. This drives Riku in wanting to become the team therapist.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
My dream scenario is still for us to get a world where Kairi, Riku and Sora form a party together, with or without Donald and Goofy.

They should have done that in Arendelle. Since Frozen was playing out on screen without Sora and the gang's involvement, they could have thrown some original party members in there.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

SpicyWhoppingGadwall-size_restricted.gif

Sora, Kairi, and Riku actually interacting with each other for more than two seconds and being...FRIENDS?! That's ridiculous!

HAHAHAHH!

HAhaha...

Heh...

tumblr_m60a0hgGCD1qkzuw9.gif

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Honestly, I'm hoping Ventus, Terra, Aqua, Roxas, Xion, and Namine are all getting a heaping amount of focus in DLC and Union X, because we need a massively cut-down roster of main characters for the next game.

Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Axel and Isa are more than enough to carry an entire game as the sole protagonists. That's eight characters to flesh out, three of them being classic Disney characters who will always be at least a little bit static. With all the love that's been put into the Sora/Riku and Sora/Donald/Goofy dynamics, we don't even need that much more time WORKING on them; now we can just enjoy them as they are. Sora/Kairi, Kairi/Riku, Kairi/Donald/Goofy, Axel/Isa, Axel/Sora... These are all dynamics with room to grow and be interesting.

Nukara

Awards
As for Sora, everything is difficult, most likely he will become more responsible and adult, but in general I do not think that in terms of character he will receive coordinated changes.

Riku: he will definitely become even wiser and more immersed in his work as a keyblade master. I can present him as a kind of my own, albeit temporary replacement for Sora as a leader and hero. Perhaps he, along with Mickey, will become the brain of the “team” of heroes.

Kairi: it's hard with her, but personally I would like Kairi to feel the burden of blame for the disappearance of Sora, which would make it more isolated and distant from others. However, in the end, it should become more decisive.

Roxas: as I wrote in previous posts, for me his main development will return around his awareness that "Sitting on the tower is ice cream, is all he wants in his life?" Roxas is no longer that sweet boy who, to be happy, just needed to eat ice cream, he became more withdrawn and serious, staying at Sora could not pass without a trace. Perhaps it will alienate him from his friends. Roxas will look for the meaning of life and understand who he is now, even with the loss of Sora, Roxas will be even more burdened by the burden of all the problems that Sora has that will also make him overshadowed by Sora. As a result, I think he will move away from his friends to find himself and will not return until he does not realize who he is. In general, I have always seen Roxas’s path as a “lone wolf,” a tough, silent guy with two keyblades coming to his friends from time to time. This is largely due to the core concept of the Kingdom Hearts, that friends cannot always be together and go their separate ways.

Lea: for this, the most important thing is realizing the hero in oneself without Roxas and Xion. If now Lea relies heavily on these two, then in the future he should definitely become, much stronger and responsible as far as possible for this character.
While I think he will try to be the best “Big Brother” for Roxas and Xion, however this will not always work out and if Xion tries to hold on to Lea, Roxas will start to move away from him. And this could be an important impetus for the development of the character of this character.
Roxas and Xion (and especially Roxas) made Lea / Axel the way he is now. If not for him, our red-haired guy was the same cold-blooded killer. I’ll say more Roxas and Axel really learned a lot from each other, Roxas wouldn’t become who he is now if not Axel, like Axel wouldn’t become who he is now if not Roxas. As for Xion, she studied both by little at once, but I will talk about it later. But he (Lea) needs to move on. I believe that Lea has two personalities in his soul, his childish childish as Lea and his dark past as Axel, even in KH3 it is clear that Lea apologizes for the actions he did to Kairi, but I always thought that he asked to call himself "Axel" because he was afraid Roxas would not recognize him. If to sum up for me the most important development of Lea's character, would be his final rejection of his past as a member of the organization and a fire killer, he is no longer the lonely guy who desperately needed friends, as Kairi said in KH3, about the fact that now he is not alone. All Lea wanted at the moment is to return Roxas (Well, although he forgot her but also Xion), now he will most likely allow Xion and Roxas first and foremost to search for himself in this world and focus on finding Subject X along with Isa.

Xion: Actually, it's a bit more difficult with her, I see Xion as a character who would like to be close to Lea and Roxas, so I think she will first look at Lea and Isa in search of a “mysterious girl.” However, she will also look for herself of this world, but I think still trying to stay close to my friends. It seems to me that she will become a more open and sociable person than before.

Terra: First of all, it's difficult for me to talk about his interaction with Riku, so I will move on to other possible development of his character, I definitely think that he will feel guilty for everything he did, because he allowed Xehanort to capture his body and with his hands nearly killed his dear people. Perhaps all this could temporarily distance Terra from his friends, he might not want to become a keyblade master, because he considered himself disagreeable and weak. Becoming even more wary of darkness. But in the end, and most likely with the help of Riku, Terra will accept the darkness in his heart and learn to control it.
Thereby proving to himself that he deserves to be a keyblade master.

Aqua: a ten-year stay in the Kingdom of darkness will not pass for her without a trace exactly, she might possibly have a strong aversion to darkness. Become more nervous and try to protect Ven from all the dangers that the latter may not like much.

Ventus: as I said above, most likely he will want to become more independent despite the desire for Aqua (and possibly Terra), for me the greatest development of his character, will be the moment when he remembers his past, no matter what kind of person he was in the past (Like according to some theories "traitor"), it will change him forever, he will no longer be the cute child we saw before in the BBS. Given that the emergence of Luxu and Foretellers, will affect him first and foremost.
Well, he could definitely prove to his two friends that he is more of a child.

Namine: the hardest thing for me is with her, of course I would like her to become more open. Maybe she will also learn how to own the keyblade, but I would really like her to have a connection with Ava. In general, for me, Namine is the most mysterious character in terms of future development.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I wouldn't say anyone in this series has really changed except for Riku and that's only because he was a villain in the climax of KH1 and he had to change in order to be believable as a protagonist later. So... I don't expect Sora to act too different in the next games.

As for Riku, maybe Yensid can start to train him to be his replacement. I don't think they'd actually kill off Yensid, but maybe he can "fade away" at some point or something. Maybe he could be involved with the Foretellers storyline in some vague way and dissolve into the past because of timetravel shenanigans, leaving Riku to take over the role as leader of the group since Mickey's too busy as King of Disney Castle and Aqua is leading Land of Departure offscreen.

Hopefully we get to see Isa and Lea act normal without all the angst as they look for the mystery girl. I'm not sure the other characters will be around enough to get character development.

Veevee

Awards
I would love to see TAV grow.
I never had too much love for Terra; he is just too dark and brooding for my taste, I'd love to see him lighten up a little. He was supposed to be the Guardian (of friendship, that is) of the three, so I'd love to see more of that caring side of him. For him, as well as for Ventus, I'd hope they'd appreciate Aqua more - they treated her quite badly in BBS (yes, I know, she didn't find the right words sometimes, but still) and I'd love for them to set that right.

For Ventus, I'd love to see him develop from that angryness he sometimes displayed and become a sassy, but sweet boy. BBS had hints of this, but he was rather flimsy and gullible. I'd love if he'd actually act his age, by the way.

For Aqua I hope she'll still be her honest self, but chooses her words more wisely. She was pretty right throughout BBS; the way things looked from her side, Terra was to blame, heck, even Terra thought it was his fault. The way she confronted him was too bold though and led to a distrust on both sides. I'd love to see more of Aqua's relationships in general, the ones TOWARDS Aqua - Aqua considered Terra to be a rival and Ventus to be something like a little brother. BBS elaborates on how Eraqus sees Terra as his son and Ventus sees Terra as his brother and Aqua + Terra as his parents, but we never get to see how Eraqus feels about Aqua. Or how Terra feels about them. Most flashbacks are all about Terra and Ventus and I felt Aqua got the short end of the stick there.

It didn't really help that her becoming a master wasn't appreciated. At all. It really bothered me that the whole thing suddenly turned towards Terra who didn't even show a hint of happiness for her. Yes, he was disappointed, but he could've at least been a little happy for her, that is what makes friendship, being a fair sportsman and also a good rivalry. Ventus only cared about running after Terra without ever gratulating Aqua and iirc, in the novel he even says he won't care about Aqua becoming a master if Terra didn't - I know it's not canon, but that's what came across anyway. Aqua's first task as a Keyblade Master was to stalk Terra and play babysitter which is not exactly what I portrayed becoming a keyblade master to be. The whole thing never stuck right with me and while they made such a fuss out of the MoM test, the result was rather disappointing.

For Aqua and Terra both, I'd love to see them evolve from that parentship over Ventus. Dude's old enough and besides his way too childish attitude (his Ux self is more mature than his BBS self) doesn't need to be constantly parented by Aqua and Terra. I always found that parents-child aspect of their relationship awkward; they are comrades, they are friends, they are like siblings and they shouldn't treat a boy who is about three years younger than them like a little kid. I'd wish for the three to be equals and display their friendship, grow together again, be there for each other. We hardly ever saw something of their "unbreakable connection" because it shattered pretty quickly in BBS and was delayed for "when Terra is back" in KH3 and we never got to see them interact (despite the beach scene where nobody spoke).

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

Awards
I would personally like if the Foretellers served as a personal antagonist/deuteragonist for a character.

Aced and Terra would be great as foils since both have done reckless, impulsive things in the past. Terra would struggle to believe he was worthy of the keyblade, especially after being used by Xehanort or over a decade. Aced, meanwhile, believed he was so worthy that he tried to take over the world during the Keyblade War. Terra, with Riku's help, will learn to accept himself. Aced will be humbled through the Master's and Luxu's madness and probably become less of a fanatic.

Ava and Xion is a bit of a weird combination until you realize Ava's shtik is to cast illusions and mimic fighting styles. Whereas Xion, after being raised as a weapon and puppet, would seek out a normal life, probably getting some good social skills since following and defying orders aren't social skills. Ava was raised by the Master to fight and to save. They could either be good friends or good enemies because maybe they're similar.

Invi and Aqua is great. One is a Keyblade Master and the other need to grow into the role. Just because you have the title doesn't mean automatically make you competent at teaching new wielders, managing the Land of Departure, or doing whatever the hell Eraqus does. She could learn how to lead rather than how to follow. Aqua's story involves so much chasing: chasing after Terra and Ven, chasing shadows, chasing after clues to get out of this Magic Mirror, chasing after hallucinations. It would be great to see her grow into a leader. Invi, meanwhile, is a follower of her Master's teaching and doesn't question it.

Gula and Ventus ... I don't have much here. Ven seems a bit easier. He wants to regain the memories he's lost. It sounds simple, but it really isn't. This could lead him to Gula, but I don't have much to go off of.

Ira and Sora, one believes that the future is written and the other rewrote destiny multiple times. Sora would grow more mindful of his actions using the Power of Waking, especially after destroying himself with it. Ira, again, I don't have much.

As for other characters, Kairi. What do I need to say that hasn't been said already? More SRK interactions to make it seem like they're friends, a more competent Kairi, someone who feels guilty for Sora disappearing. a SRK fight together. No, I will not let go that SRK didn't fight against Vanitas, Dark Riku, and Xion in KH3.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'll just do a little at a time.

Sora - Face My Fears and AdrianXXII covered most of what I'd like.
Whether Sora plays the Reapers Game or not, I want him to become more self-reliant. Boy's all about "My friends are my power." but now he's in a situation were that's possibly taken away. It could be a bit difficult to pull off when the Reapers Game is meant to be a two-man team, but it'd be a nice change of pace for Sora to have a teammate who's too self-reliant and refuses to help Sora.

Riku - Riku isn't Riku when he's not down on himself! This has to do with my criticisms on Riku in KH3, but having Riku feel that in his concern for Sora during the majority of KH3, he became ignorant to Sora's own feelings and skill. Riku finally letting Sora do what his heart and mind are set on during the ending making him feeling responsible for Sora's death and that it didn't have to be this way if he trusted Sora from the beginning. This drives Riku in wanting to become the team therapist.
Part 2~

Kairi - Uh, I...don't know. Well, okay, I do want Kairi to be more active and not passive window dressing (like nearly everyone in KH3...) Like with Riku, I want her to feel responsible for Sora's disappearance. Questioning how useful she really was during KH3 and her role in the grand scheme of things, while repurposing her old Fragmentary Passage secret movie scene to throw her into, and have an active role in, the UX portion of the plot. Since Nomura is so obsessed if UX now, this is the best place for her or she'll be shoved to the side again.

Roxas, Xion, Namine - I know even less from what I want with these three. What I do know what I want, is now that they have all this freedom, they don't really know what to do with themselves. And for Roxas and Xion to show they haven't instantly forgiven Isa, but tolerate him because he's Lea's friend. Trying not so show their hate for him as they don't want to make Lea sad, but it eventually comes out (from Roxas of course. He's a lot more likely to stop hiding it and say what's on his mind than Xion.)

The only thing Kairi and Riku have in common is that they both want to date Sora.
Then they fight to see who dates Sora. lol

But ya know? What'd be nice to see is these two interacting more and bond, but realizing that they're just not friends like they are to Sora. They get along perfectly fine. Just that they're more like friendly acquaintances, and shouldn't try to force a friendship because they're both friends with Sora.

Back