• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

CD's Right Writes

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Epiphora

Already, I felt myself slipping away. I placed the now empty glass against the table next to a spilled transparent orange bottle before attempting to stand. I found it difficult to do so, yet I managed to withdraw into my room. Darkness was closing in and my peripheral vision began to deteriorate quickly as I slogged toward my queen size bed. I fell heavy onto it, my body feeling more like lead than anything else, and somehow had the presence of mind to crawl under the covers. I realized I had very little time left before I lost myself and brought my hand toward my nightstand. I felt around with what little energy I had left, attempting to find the flat notebook as well as the pencil I had placed earlier. Satisfied with the location of my tools, I easily retracted my limb and welcomed the darkness that had enveloped the room around me. My vision was fading more rapidly than before and the final object I was able to make out was the nearly-full moon that hung outside my window. Then, there was nothing.

A soft rustling noise roused me. Still not in complete control of my body, I fluttered my eyes, attempting to wake myself. Bright blue sky welcomed me to reality and my fingertips scratched at smooth warm sand. I slowly rose to a sitting position as the sound of waves carelessly crashing against the shore reached the back of my ears. The pale brown sand below me abruptly ended ahead of me, replaced by wild grass. The green contrast was accompanied by various trees that dotted the edge of my vision, and as I scanned the pastures, a sudden movement revealed itself as the noise that had awoken me. A small fluffy white creature stood on all fours in the center of a batch of tall grass. Its nose fidgeted quickly as it sniffed a reed and its long ears bent backward, as if to not draw attention to itself. I stood before―slowly, silently―I tiptoed near it. Unfortunately, I stepped on a fallen leaf which cracked under pressure, giving me away. The rabbit instantly bounced away before stopping seven feet away. It stared at me, unsure whether or not I would pursue it. I decided to leave the creature alone and began walking away from the beach.

The sky seemed to follow me. Walking forward caused clouds to zoom ahead while halting resulted in them refusing to budge as well. I took a step back and the fluff above retracted with me. I backpedaled a bit more which caused the clouds to reverse themselves. Taking a leap forward forced them to speedily skip ahead, though they again paused when I landed. I leaned backward and forward, bending the sky to my will as it rhythmically darted back and forth like a metronome. When I had my fill, I continued forward which, of course, caused the sky to return to its normal routine. It didn't take long for the sun itself to follow along, and ever so slowly the blue sky shifted into a fiery orange color, then a near purple color, and finally a dark blue. The night sky, I noted, was dotted with a large number of stars. Far much more than I was used to seeing. A bright line cut through the darkened skies like a laser, and a split second later I recognized it as a shooting star. I was amazed, though I was even more astonished when more stars began to whiz passed the ever steady moon. Soon the whole sky was a canvas for these brilliant racers, each one willing the other to zoom faster than the other. I was so entranced by the sight, that I didn't realize I was about to walk into an object and only just managed to stop myself as my face was less than a foot away from the dimly lit statue. I backed away to get a better look and noticed the statue was of a human holding a spear upwards, toward the sky and was surrounded by other statues similar to itself. It took me a second to realize that the statue was actually part of a circle along with the other statues. They held swords, axes, bows, and other such ancient weaponry to the sky. I touched the first statue I had come across and it let out a low hum, which surprised me enough to get me to jump. I also saw a small number—around four or five—of pure white orbs the size of quarters float away from the tip of the statue's spear. They climbed well above my head before vanishing into the night sky. I tapped at each of the other statues as well, but nothing else of interest happened.

I decided to leave the statues behind and found myself lost in a sea of trees. There was no movement to speak of among the green leaves, nor was there any underfoot. All was silent as I walked aside from the few crunches I created as I trampled over the occasional fallen leaf. I let out a quick breath and visibly saw it as steam which admitted to me the cold temperature I could not feel. I let out another and saw the small cloud dissipate against the supposed harsh environment, though it quickly reformed and grew as it hovered above me. It went higher until it joined the falling stars as a cloud destined to wander the cosmos. I smiled to myself before continuing on in the dead forest. It was then I ran into an oval stone protruding out of the dirt. I made my way to the tombstone, but could not make out any of the words written on it, as the letters seem to sway from left to right while switching positions with each other like children playing a game. I rubbed my eyes but that did little to aid me as a sudden gust caught me by surprise. As the gust began to pick up, the trees themselves seemed to speak to me. What was once stale and serene was now full of an almost void life. Leaves danced along the airways, twirling with an impossible breeze that continued endlessly for their dear guest, and I watched in a mesmerized stare. The wind pressed against my back, causing my clothes to flutter about, and it was almost as if it beckoned me to continue my march. I took a moment to gather wind of my own within my lungs before moving forward.

The same orbs from before were my guide. Though I hadn't noticed them at first, they were now abundant and conspicuous as they raced ahead of me, both on the air and on the ground. The ones that were airborne swiftly rode the air currents and went forward while the ones that were ground bound instead rolled alongside me, climbing over the tufts of grass that were in their way. I was spellbound as I followed along, unsure of what to expect. Soon enough, however, we had arrived. The same circle of statues greeted me and the mystical orbs encircled themselves within the perimeter of the statues, swirling with one another in a dance-like fashion. I slowly approached the circle before stepping foot inside of it. As soon as I, the world seemed to change. The sky above turned like a dial, and soon the dark sky and moon were replaced by blue and sun only for the world to continue to turn on its axis at breakneck speed, causing the night to once again dominate the sky. Though this was short lived as day once more showed itself. The two chased one another away as a bright light surrounded me, clouding my vision. I tried to look away, but already knew it was too late as my I felt my consciousness slip.

I slowly opened my eyes to find my dimly lit bedroom. Though the moon had begun fall, the sun had yet to fully control the sky. I felt for the notebook by my bed and began writing.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I liked this because it holds a mysterious element to it. I really liked how the person stepped into the circle of statues and something bizarre happened, or how touching one statue in particular made something happen. I can't tell if the person was truly awake or was still asleep upon writing this all down. Seriously, I liked this a lot. It'd be fun to try to solve a puzzle such as this one. :D

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Wanted to write, but didn't want to write anything in particular. Ended up with this, though it's really short. Also, it's a bad idea to write about sleep late at night, ha.
---
Epiphora
Ambiance: Ambient music must be as ignorable as it is interesting. --Brain Eno

Your footsteps echoed cleanly throughout the street. The only other sound is the ambient cries of the night: a gust of wind that enters an ally here, a forgotten pigeon fluttering back home there, and maybe the sound of that over arching streetlight that keeps fizzing out every few minutes only to spring back to life, as if it too is trying to avoid its duties and slumber. The street side buildings have already doused their lights as everyone rests for the night. The soft breeze that passes through it is unnoticed, brisk, and icy, as if it had come straight from the arctic. But it leaves in an instant, and you were the only person who was lucky enough to shiver in its wake. You let out a shot laugh at yourself for getting caught off guard by the sudden wind current and smile. The stars are visible tonight, a rarity in this city. The usual party lights that drown out the sky are flicked off, as are the whirling spotlights that promise an enthralling night at the playhouse. The entire city was quiet under the twinkles of the night and you forget—just for a moment—all the chaos that had surrounded you during the day. None of that mattered. All that mattered at that moment was the scarce slender serenity that had managed to find itself into the night. For a split second, you saw something bright zoom through the skyline:a shiver of light that only lasted for a fraction of a moment. It fell almost like an arc, its whiteness and vast distance rivaled the stars around it, but it twinkled itself out of your vision in that brief moment, and you almost convinced yourself it was your eyes tricking you. Either way you made a wish to the shooting star you spotted; a silly tradition, but one you rarely got to enforce. You propped your coat closer to yourself as you kept moving: home was only a block away now and it took no time for you to reach it.

Once inside the apartment you walked through the kitchen and noted the transparent orange bottle was getting closer to being empty. Disregarding that, you kept moving and entered your bedroom, ready to rest. Ready to Dream. The contents of the orange bottle wouldn't be needed tonight: your uncommon day out had left you exhausted and sleep would consume you instantly. Clothing easily dropped to the floor and you were left with only the bare minimum, which was more than enough. The bedspread was lazily tossed aside and it invited you to enter the cocoon of blankets that would protect you from the rest of the world. The plastic bottle of water on your nightstand promised you comfort should your throat dry. The half-shut blinds provided just enough moon light to ease your mind of any dangers that might lurk. They also functioned as a beacon for the rising sun and would welcome the daybreak for you. Your dream diary sat patiently, ready for you to record whatever adventure you would encounter. Everything was ready. The only thing missing was you. 'Come in. Close your eyes and forget the troubles of the world. Rest easy as the planet turns underneath you while your spirit chases the comets above.' The entire room refused to move and instead waited for your input, which you easily gave. You crawled right into your bed and pulled the covers close. The comforter's familiar weight was consoling and eased you into slumber.

The world melted around you and there was the brief moment of in-between. You knew you were still awake but you were a breaths away from sleep. The magical moment everyone felt when they were at the edge of consciousness and you dangled there, one foot in the air, tilting forward but refusing to fall. This was your favorite feeling. Knowing that you were directly at the point of no return. An idle second passed and you were gone. A void rose up to meet you. Your feet planted firmly onto the darkness and your hands wavered impossibly, like a mirage. Welcome Back. This is your world. Your imagination. Your dreams. You are in total control. By this point you are fully aware of how to keep your emotions in check; if you 'feel' too much you will wake up. Any emotion can trigger it: extreme happiness will cause you to crash. Sadness, pain, fright, arousal, amusement, adrenaline, and anything else you can feel would end your internal simulation if they got too out of control. Being aware that this is all a dream means controlling what you feel. Flying through the clouds would mean nothing if you got too excited and woke up because of it. The beginning was full of challenges, but now you were in complete control of your dreams. Anything you could possibly want to do is within your grasp. All you have to do is imagine it. Will it be another exploration of a forest? Will you save a princess from a dragon? Soar between buildings? Explore the ocean floor? Or just create an entire world of your own to fill? A dozen doors now stand before you in a circle. Now that you're here, what are you going to dream about?

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I've learned two new words to add to my current vocabulary! And this was quite a peaceful yet comforting story to read. I like how everything was described rather smoothly without anything disrupting the flow. The protagonist seems to really enjoy their sleep. The mentioning of the orange bottle caught my attention. My guess is that the pills are either for insomnia or something else. I rather not put too much stock into that thought in particular. Otherwise, the concept of falling into a deep sleep really appealed to me. And I'm someone who loves to sleep; most of the time. Great story overall, CD. :)

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
"Elohim, Essaim... Elohim, Essaim... I implore you..."

---
I'm a pianist who doesn't know anything about the piano. I don't even have a tutor or instructor. My father showed me how to play when I was a little girl and I fell in love with the instrument. I played it every day, even when he was taken away from me. I always played classical music and jazz, with slow ambient music catching my attention as well. I took classes on the piano in school. I stayed in music clubs, programs, even tried to get a job playing it in a restaurant. The job wouldn't have been without its faults of course, I would much less be the star and instead I would background noise. “Ambient music must be as ignorable as it is enjoyable.” Brian Eno, a composer for many musical pieces, strongly believes that and that's what I told myself when I applied. I was shot down, mostly because of my age—apparently hiring middle schoolers was against the law. Should have seen that one coming—but also because I had little to no real experience with the instrument outside of a classroom environment. It was this that drove me to want more out of my playing and though I was too late to enter into it, I became an audience member to a local musical arts competition. I had never entered the large circular building, which was layered with so many tiles of glass I had to fight the urge to throw a rock at it and watch it explode into shards. The interior was much more down to earth, with brown carpet and plush chairs reaching every wall. There was a large, foldable sign sign in the middle of the room next to a table with pamphlets. The sign shared the same contents as the booklets so I took one and made my way to the concert hall.

Though the competition hadn't started yet, the lights were already dimmed in the large circular room. From where I entered, I could see a field of red chairs that would look right at home in a movie theater sloping downwards. Like a leading line in a photograph, the arm rests brought my eyes to the brightly lit stage. The floor of it was a brilliantly polished wood, contrasting sharply with the black carpet I was standing on, and red curtains hung from either side of the stage. I realized the curtains couldn't close, and were just there for decoration. Center stage was were the grand piano stood. I couldn't help but admire the ebony instrument. The shine on it caused a ray of light to shimmer from it as I took a step forward and I was entranced by it. At this point in my life I had only really practiced on virtual keyboards and small standing pianos so the elegance of it all had me transfixed. I was especially interested in how the lid was left open, revealing the interior of the instrument. From where I was, I could only catch a glimpse of brown from within and I wondered if they were going to leave it open the entire time. As if I had verbally spoken my question, an elderly man in a black suit walked on stage and carefully moved the lid prop while holding on to the lid. He lowered the cover safely into place and I heard a small clacking noise before he walked away.

Someone cleared their throat behind me, forcing me out of my thoughts. I had stood in the middle of the walkway for about a minute, admiring the stage and had blocked the flow of people.
“S-Sorry,” I blurted out. I hurried down the steps with the small lights under each one guiding me safely. There were more than a few empty seats and the middle row seemed like a good place to sit. Pushing passed the bare red chairs, I pulled down the seat of one I chose for myself before sitting in it. I could feel my face burn as I thought about how I had just made a fool of myself and pushed the pamphlet I held on to over my eyes, pretending to read it while shielding myself from anyone that looked my way. The page I had landed on was the Strings section and something odd caught my eye. The majority of the contestants were all playing classical pieces like Bach, Chopin, and even Mozart. But there was a girl who was playing someone I didn't recognize. The small black and white photo of the girl showed me she had light freckles and messy curly hair. Was this taken at a glance? She wasn't going to show up looking like that, was she? I could clearly see her wearing a hoodie as well, which was far below the dress code for the contestants. I only got to see the name of the composer of the piece she was playing—Lindsey Stirling? Who was that?—before the lights dimmed themselves completely and I was unable to read the violinist's name.

The competition had started, and the first section to play focused on the strings. Both solo players and groups were lumped together, most likely due to the lack of competitors, and were set to play one after the other. All the songs were classical arrangements. One group of seven cellists played Bach's Suite for Cello. Some of them played the cello as intended while others strummed the strings like a guitar. It was a neat gimmick, but I could see the judges sitting in their own designated area near the audience placing large X marks on the group's page on their writing pads. Something like this wasn't going to win these judges over as they appeared to be more traditional musicians. The crowd also seemed to follow this train of logic and when the cellists finished, they were met with only scattered applause. I clapped as loud as I could for their efforts, but I don't think I reached them as they looked slightly dejected while they carried their large instruments out of the stage. The next contestant was a late teen who looked to be a little older than me. She carried a violin in one hand and the arm of a boy with the other. She was wearing a slender red dress, and the boy wore a navy double breasted suit jacket with matching trousers. They gave the audience a bow before he sat at the piano, unbuttoning his jacket. He tapped the keys in a quick set of chords I just managed to recognize. This was Mozart. Concerto No 4, if I had it right. The girl brought the violin up to her chin before playing in a quick elegant manner I didn't realize the violin was capable of. That's what happens when you only focus on your own instrument, I guess. They played on in a fast—but not rushed—pace. It was a display of mastery. They were here to win and it showed. The notes seemed to climb higher in pitch, but it was never disordered, only calculated sweeps of the violin's bow while the pianist kept his chords in check. I was in awe at the prowess they displayed as a team. Was this what it meant to be a musician? Pure elegance and graceful power? My eyes stung as I forgot to blink, entranced by the performance. How would I be able to hold my own against this? How would anyone hold their own against this? My dad's voice whispered through my mind as the violinist entered her solo, marking the end of the song. You can't compare yourself to others. Only focus on what you can do, then improve. I hadn't seen my dad in years, but even now he still coaches me. The pianist finished the song with the well-toned down scaling and chords. He re-buttoned his jacket before standing, and took a bow with his accompanist. The audience thundered in applause and it was obvious the traditionally played classical piece was much more in their tastes than anything else.

The trend continued through the rest of the contest as player after player performed classical pieces either alone or with a pianist accompanist. Despite my initial interest and even enthrallment, I quickly got bored of it all and somehow managed to nod off. I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but a high pitched voice over the speakers roused me.
“What do you mean he can't use his keyboard? We need it!” I looked toward the stage and saw the curled haired girl from the pamphlet speaking directly into the microphone provided. The mic was only supposed to be used to pick up the sounds of one of the instruments and was its only purpose throughout the day until this moment, so it really caught me off guard. One of the older judges said something to the freckled girl, but I was too far away to make it out. I noticed she really was wearing a green hoodie and blue jeans, which was a far cry from every other performer's formal clothing. Her accompanist was also in causal wear, a black polo and dark slacks though he was hard at work clamping down a black stand for a virtual/portable keyboard, which was sitting next to him. “We need it for the song to work,” the girl answered back while checking her watch, “and we might have been a little late, but I still have another six minutes of time to play!” The judge looked furious but one of the other judges nodded to her. The girl gave them a large smile and plopped down her pink violin case on the ground. She was the complete opposite of formal and looked incredibly out of place. Juxtaposition incarnate. The old judge sat back in his seat, but I could see him already striking another X mark on his pad in a dramatic fashion. Old fart. The girl looked back to her partner, who had an apologetic look on his face. He nodded to her and she took her place, center stage and started to play.

She started with a light note that almost seemed to cry as it wavered and lingered before following it up with a few more similar notes. Her accompanist tapped at his keyboard, but instead of the normal piano notes, the speakers belted out a synthetic electric beat that reminded me of electronic music. This wasn't fit for the competition. Her violin playing was decent—I'd even say it was better than some of the other competitors—but it wasn't what the judges or the audience was looking for. But as the song picked up speed, I found myself energized by the beat. The upbeat and outlandish nature of the ordeal was refreshing in this stale environment and the changes in her fast paced high and low notes was impressive. The room was still as she carried on while her accompanist forced bass out of the speakers. The members of the audience were distraught at the shift of musical style, and some even held their hands over their ears. In contrast, I leaned forward and gripped the back of the empty seat in front of me. Why was she playing this? She knew the style they would be looking for and she openly dismissed it, instead she went through with something as different as this, all the while looking as if she had just woken up and threw on whatever clothes she found laying around her room. The cellists at the beginning at least played a recognizable and well-received composition with a twist on it. It was a gamble with this audience, but it was at least one that was worth attempting. What she was doing was basically taunting the room. She was sending a message and though I couldn't decipher it, I could feel my heart race against my chest. The song finally ended with slow strings, but nobody in the audience moved. The girl bowed, but no one clapped. I couldn't believe it, her defiance was met with further defiance—no, worse than that. It was rudeness. To not even acknowledge her performance was something I couldn't allow, and I jumped from my chair. I clapped as hard and as fast as I could, even more so than I did for the cellists. The girl straightened herself from her bow in surprise and squinted into the crowd. I realized the bright stage lights stopped her from clearing seeing the audience, but it didn't matter. She smiled as sweat from the warm lights slid down her hairline and bowed again. As if suddenly realizing the song was over, the rest of the audience clapped along, though their applause was weak and only out of necessity.

I didn't wait for the next contestant. I made my way out of the concert hall through the darkness and through the double doors I had entered from. A man in a suit stood next to the doors, looking somewhat bored.
I called out to him. “Excuse me, where are the contestants staying before they go up on stage?” He directed me to the backstage and I wasted no time getting there. There was another man at the door, and it hit me then they were guarding the entrances, in a very loose way. Like bouncers, I guess. “Is this contestant still in there?” I asked while pointing to the girl's photo in the pamphlet.
“She just left a little while ago with her accompanist,” he told me, “I heard them say they were heading back to the train station." I thanked him and jogged out of the building. The red sky above me was a surprise. Was it already so late? I hadn't realized it was already evening, though I had fallen asleep. I bounded for the train station, though it didn't take long for me to find the pair.
“...At least you didn't dance up there,” the older boy told her. He was carrying the bare keyboard over his shoulder while holding the small stand with his left hand.
“Maybe I should have! Who knows, that could have gotten us some recognition.”
“I told you this was a bad idea. Maybe next time you'll listen to your wise-ass cousin.”
“Bad idea? Are you telling me you didn't have fun?”
I cried out to the pair as I approached, and when I finally reached them I found myself out of breath and breathing heavily while bent over. God damn, I was out of shape.
“Oh, wow. Purple,” the girl said, looking at my irises. Her own eyes were red and puffy, as if she had just been crying. Were they like that when she was on stage?
“What...What the hell was that?” I asked, not unkindly.
“Huh?!”
“Why did you play such an odd song to a classical music competition?”
“...Classical music competition?” the girl asked.
“I told you it was for classical music,” the boy told her, “I can't believe they even let you sign up with that song.” I was shocked.
“You didn't know?!”
“Nope.”
“But, but I thought you were...” being defiant. Sticking it to the man, in a way.
“I guess I should have payed more attention. At least one person liked my music.”
“Yeah, I loved it!” I blurted it out without thinking, and the girl took a step back.
“That was you?”
“I...yeah, that was--” I was cut off as the she wrapped her arms around me, hugging me tightly.
“Thank you. I was so scared when no one clapped. I felt like the world was ending and nothing was going to save me.” I patted her back twice, a little confused. I had never had been in a situation where no one had clapped. There was always a moment before the applause that worried me, but nothing negative ever came of it. I couldn't even begin to imagine the anxiety that must have raced down her body before I clapped. She pried herself off of me and wiped her eyes with her sleeves. “Sorry, sorry. My name's Zoey. Zoey Brunt.” Zoey held out her hand for me to shake, which I took with a smile.
“Crystal Donn.”

I'm a pianist who doesn't know anything about the piano. I don't even have a tutor or instructor. My father showed me how to play when I was a little girl and I fell in love with the instrument. I used to think that was a pure negative, but lately I've started thinking differently. I occasionally act as an accompanist to a new friend with a weird playing style. She's a bit wild and tends to forget to practice, but when we get the groove it feels like we're on top of the world. I'm a pianist who doesn't know anything about the piano. My best friend is a violinist who doesn't know anything about the violin. I prefer playing traditional classical music while she tries to incorporate pop music into our songs. We might not seem like a whole lot at first glance, but together we're going to take the musical world by storm.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I love seeing how Crystal and Zoey met. Gosh, I never thought music critics could be so damn stingy about a pair performing with a different instrument. In a way, this reminds me a lot of Your Lie in April. I'm really glad I got to see how they met and became friends after that one performance. I felt a bit for Zoey being rejected by the music critics for being different and felt so damn proud of Crystal for applauding. <3 This was awesome.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
I love seeing how Crystal and Zoey met. Gosh, I never thought music critics could be so damn stingy about a pair performing with a different instrument. In a way, this reminds me a lot of Your Lie in April. I'm really glad I got to see how they met and became friends after that one performance. I felt a bit for Zoey being rejected by the music critics for being different and felt so damn proud of Crystal for applauding. <3 This was awesome.

[rare early response] Yyooooooooooo you've seen Your Lie in April? I watched it at the start of April, funnily enough, and it really hit a chord with me (no pun intended). I got the urge to write this after watching that show and didn't get around to doing it until now though I know I didn't express the same grandeur of an classical music competition that was in my head. It was defs one of my favorite anime and I've been trying to get Max to watch it as well but he might be too busy to do so at the moment. With Crystal and Zoey in the back of mind as I watched, the anime really hit me. To the point where I still think of it from time to time and it's made it more helpful when I write their musical acts. Thanks for reading, as always.
also
I've learned two new words to add to my current vocabulary! And this was quite a peaceful yet comforting story to read. I like how everything was described rather smoothly without anything disrupting the flow. The protagonist seems to really enjoy their sleep. The mentioning of the orange bottle caught my attention. My guess is that the pills are either for insomnia or something else. I rather not put too much stock into that thought in particular. Otherwise, the concept of falling into a deep sleep really appealed to me. And I'm someone who loves to sleep; most of the time. Great story overall, CD. :)
The orange bottle was also in the first part of Epiphora as well. :eek: I liked the flow of this story so I'll probably keep writing more bits and pieces as time goes on.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
This came out a lot shorter than I would have liked, but I'm happy with it for now.

edit: I liked Eternal Dream's idea of having the list of challenges handy in its own thread along with their pitch ideas, so I nicked it for myself. Question marks means I'm not sure if I want to go down with those ideas.

D̶e̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶B̶e̶l̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ -- Appreciate the Beloved
Y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶F̶i̶r̶s̶t̶/̶L̶a̶s̶t̶ -- Ellin
H̶o̶s̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ -- Emma Kate's Accident
P̶a̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶P̶r̶e̶s̶e̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶F̶u̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ -- Ellin
H̶e̶r̶o̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶V̶i̶l̶l̶a̶i̶n̶ -- Relent pt 1
S̶o̶n̶g̶ -- "Emma Kate's Accident" by Bloc Party
2̶4̶ ̶H̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ -- The Miracles-Kyle's Opening Post
A̶ ̶C̶h̶o̶i̶c̶e̶ -- Relent pt 2
2̶0̶ ̶M̶i̶n̶u̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶L̶e̶s̶s̶ -- Fangirling over Uncharted 4's Intro
T̶h̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶D̶a̶y̶ ̶C̶h̶a̶l̶l̶e̶n̶g̶e̶ -- Relent pt2
F̶a̶n̶t̶a̶s̶y̶ -- CLASSIC [Magical Library Expansion]
C̶o̶n̶f̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ -- Relent pt 3 (end)
W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶F̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶?̶ -- Appreciate the Fear
---

Appreciate the Beloved
I hope this reaches you.
“A pianist who doesn't know anything about the piano. Even now, years later, I still consider myself that. I've had years of practice: millions of hours in my chair knocking out fingering exercises, arpeggios, songs, duets, and everything in between. I'm an accompanist for my best friend but have made a name for myself as a solo pianist as well. Growing up, I might have had raw, unfiltered talent with the keys, but after learning the hard way that talent alone isn't enough, I devoted myself to be better through session after session of drills and recitals. But even then, none of this would have happened at all if someone hadn't introduced me to the piano in the first place. It's because of you that I became who I am today. Not just in the fact that you helped create me with half your genetic makeup, but if you weren't there for me—if you never put me on your lap as you played the piano yourself—I would never have even given the instrument a second thought. All the people I've met, all the things I've done, the way I think, even the way I approach life itself would have been radically different than how things are right now.”
Will this reach you?
“And even though you were taken from me shortly after you taught me how to play, I still see you everyday. Whenever I sit down on my stool and place my hands in the middle C position, I can feel your hand resting on my own, guiding my fingers just like they did when I was a child. I...always pretend when I play something, it was your voice that I hear instead of the piano. As if I could recreate all the events that never took place simply by playing. When I play the soft piano sections of a song, that's you trying to lull a five year old me back to sleep after a nightmare. Loud forte areas in song are you angry at me for not doing my homework. You always forgive me though, and then make me a peanut butter sandwich while lecturing me on how important school is.”
This will reach you.
“Whenever I play, I like to imagine you're listening in as well. In my room, you're always right behind me, enjoying the music you taught me to create. In a room full of friends, you're leaning against a wall, listening and laughing along with everyone. In a competition, you're standing right in front of the judges, glaring at them as they judge my playing. And even if you're not actually there, it's still nice to at least pretend you are. Nothing can change the past, but I still have you fresh in my memory even though all I have left of you are old photographs. I can still hear your laugh. Your large hands are still imprinted in my mind as they gently guide my own tiny ones along the keys while you press the pedals, since I was always too small to reach. These memories are still with me, and I wanted to go through them one more time with you. See, I'm moving. Believe it or not, I got an agent! She's got me booked in a small place in New York, but things look promising. I've always wanted to head to Broadway, so who knows, maybe now I can see it from the inside! I know I'm leaving a lot behind, and that's why I wanted to visit you one last time. I wanted to let you know that I'm okay. I'm getting by and hopefully the gift you've shown me will let me thrive. And I...wanted to thank you. Again. Thank you for letting me sit on your lap. Thank you for showing me how to play. Thank you. I miss you and I wish I could see you in person but I can't. All I can do is push forward and make you proud. It's starting to get late and a bit cold, so I should go but I promise I'll visit you again when I get the chance. Bye, dad. I love you.”
I hope it reached you.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Appreciate the Beloved

I really liked this one, because it shows how much the protagonist appreciates her father for teaching her how to play piano. It was a really touching piece. I do happen to wonder if you took piano lessons, CD, because of you mentioning the middle C position. I only know how to play some piano from self taught books and such, but it'd be cool if so. (Surprisingly enough, I can't believe it only occurs to me as of now to ask you this! xD)

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Relent pt 1 (Hero or Villain)
The impossibly thick vines and roots around us created stepping stones among the otherwise impassible rock walls. The dull green vegetation I walked on was as thick as a fallen tree, and felt just as rough. The footsteps behind me assured my companion was still keeping pace, something the now-darkening fog prevented my eyes from confirming. Even with my torch, I could only see a few feet ahead of me and the danger of falling back to earth from this height was a constant fear. Thankfully it wasn't much longer until we passed through the suspended vine and reached solid ground.
“Finally,” Sharon said. “I was starting to think we'd be on that thing forever.” Instead of answering, I moved toward one of the numerous trees that greeted our limited field of vision. It was warm to the touch, and a cold wind ran through us.
“We should set up camp here,” I told her. “It'll be night soon.” She agreed and placed her pack far from the ledge while I gathered a few sticks and leaves that lay around the tree. It wasn't difficult to get a fire going, especially considering I had brought along a tinderbox with me. Sharon watched as I opened the small metallic box.
“You're really well-prepared, aren't you, Ellery?” That was a false name, but I wasn't about to tell her that.
“That's why I was chosen to be the one to accompany you.” It had taken the Band of Thieves months to set this up. I had to infiltrate Fayfield's royal army and pose as a survivalist who could thrive in the wild. It had taken a lot of work to fool everyone but it was all about to pay off.
“I'm glad for it, too. If it was just me on my own, I don't think I would have made it this far.” Wasn't that the truth? The dumb broad had nearly fallen off the walkways five times, not to mention nearly eating poisonous fruits and mushrooms. It was a good thing I was forced to take a crash course on wildlife before taking this mission.
“I'm grateful you're here too,” I lied as sparks emerged from the flint in my my hand, igniting the circle of foliage I had inclosed in small rocks, “We don't know what's out there, but having one of Fayfield's Flying Lancers with me gives me peace of mind. Shame you couldn't bring your pegasus along because of the wild wind currents.”
“Oh, not at all! I'm a ground troop so I don't have my own mount. In fact, it's kind of embarrassing to admit it, but I don't even know how to ride a pegasus.” I looked at the blade that was sheathed along her hip.
“Is that so? I always thought the Lancers were only an aerial unit. They're called 'The Deadly Angles,' after all.”
“Yeah well, unlike the Sword Guild or Axe Brigade, we try to be a little more rounded. Most of us use lances, but a lot of us wield swords and axes.”
“But those are just names. In the both of those there are a lot of people who use different weapons. There are even magic users in both of them.”
“Really? I didn't know that.” I lightly tossed a piece of dry meat to her, which she easily caught.
“You ever been to Blueshire?”
“No, have you?”
“Oh yeah. Great place. Not very blue but whatever. I got a buddy in the Guild over there that lets me rest at his place whenever I pop in.”
“That must be nice. I'd like to visit someday.”
“Why don't we go after we grab the Pearl?” The best promises are the ones you know you never have to keep.
“Sure, that sounds like a good idea!”

We slept in shifts through the night. Sharon had volunteered for the first half and it didn't take long for me to nod off. After a few hours, I felt her hand nudging my shoulder.
“Whuzzat? What time is it?” I sluggishly opened my eyes but instead of the absolute darkness I expected, I was greeted with a clear view of the night sky, dotted with bright stars. “The fog cleared?”
“Yeah. You can see how high up we are. Come take a look,” Sharon offered me her hand which I took before standing. Due to the fog, it was impossible to see our surroundings, but now everything was visible in the moonlight. Unfortunately, there wasn't a whole lot to see. We were essentially on a large flat rocky slab suspended in mid-air by the enormous tree roots and vines. The few trees were the only things worth noting, though as we made our way to the ledge, I couldn't help but realize how beautiful the sky was. Looking down, the buildings looked miniscule, as if they were tiny models with working lights, but a lazy cloud drifted below us and it reminded me that we really were miles off the ground.
“It's like magic, huh?” In the back of my mind, I realized I would be able to push her off if I wanted to. It'd be an easy way to take her out of the picture, but I couldn't do that. Her fighting ability would be too useful later on. Either way she made her way back to the bonfire and settled down.
“Your turn to keep watch,” was all she said before closing her eyes. After a few minutes of waiting for her to fall asleep, I reached into my pocket and produced a small notebook and pencil. I quickly scribbled 'Almost at the top. After tomorrow, the Pearl is ours. --C.C.' on the top page. I ripped it out as quietly as I could and folded the two corners. My fingers folded the paper quickly until I had created a small airplane. The wind blew softly across our platform as I carefully placed a small stones in the paper airplane to weigh it down. I estimated my friends were waiting for my messages in the same place as yesterday, unless they had been compromised. Even if that were the case, it was too late to stop our plan and I threw the airplane downwards, towards the earth.

I spent my waking shift poking at the fire with a stick. Because of the altitude, the air was thin and breathing was a bit harder than usual. Not only that, but it was very cold which made it difficult to stay comfortable. I kept waking up as I slept and had to huddle just to keep warm, which was something Sharon was doing at that moment. Her short dark hair kept getting caught in wind drafts, and more than once a few strands stood practically vertical. She seemed like a nice enough person, but it didn't matter. I had a job to do and by the end of things, she'd be in my way. I'd have to ditch her once I snagged the Pearl, but that could either mean running off or getting violent. Either way was fine with me; as good of a fighter as she was, I had her trust and could easily stab her in the back. Once I had made my escape the Band of Thieves could keep me in hiding. After all, this was far from my first job and it sure as hell wasn't going to be my last, though it could be my biggest one yet. The Pearl we were searching for is one of legend. It's not supposed to exist, like a fairy tale. Supposedly, there used to be a large tower created entirely from nature in Fayfield that reached up to the heavens. At the top of the tower was something called the Pearl of Atrophy, a gemstone the size of a man's fist. According to legend, it was used as a source of power for some kind of demon who used it to absorb the life force of nature for its own gain. But the tower vanished hundreds of years ago, so everyone thought it was just a myth. Then, a few months ago, the tower boomed out of the ground and pierced the sky. As soon as it appeared, the Band of Thieves realized what it was and concocted a plan to sneak one of us in there. The rest of the country sent in squads to investigate, but found the tower to be largely empty. It didn't take long for scholars to deduce what the vine-filled tower was, and the Royals gathered the best people for the job. Thanks to the previous squads, they realized the tower was not dangerous in terms of battles, but the terrain was too treacherous for heavily armored soldiers. When they brought me into the fold, I suggested keeping the party small, to which they agreed. Though I never would have thought the other person who would join me would also suggest only having us two search the tower! Imagine the luck of only having to deal with one other person at the end instead of a group! Sharon turned in her sleep, facing the bonfire. I placed another piece of wood on it to keep her a bit warmer. Seemed fair.

The smell of meat was literally visible in the morning sun. The sticks I had used to skewer the thick sausages were resting just above the flames, and the aroma lifted upwards along with the heat. The smell was enough to rouse Sharon from her slumber as she slowly sat upwards.
“I didn't realize we had any meat left over,” she croaked.
“I saved some for today. It's our last wake-up before we reach the Pearl's sanctuary, after all.”
“Thanks, Ellery. I don't think I would have made it this far without you. Now that we're practically here, I really wanted to express my gratitude.”
“Yeah well, I'm glad you were with me. It's a huge relief having a fighter around. Now eat up, we got a big day ahead of us.”

The rest of the climb was surprisingly simple. Nearly everything we've been through so far had been a test of endurance and creativity in order to scale the tower, from finding a wall with footholds that let us get to higher ground, to carefully placed explosives to topple columns in order to create our own walkways. The entire experience has been hardship after hardship but the apparent final flight had none of these elements. Circular staircases met us, with in-tact guard rails and all. The walls were long gone but the steps were perfectly usable, and it almost seemed too easy. We were quiet for the rest of the climb—another oddity. Throughout the climb I would always give Sharon advice on where the safest place to step would be or what spots to avoid. However since there was no danger, there was also no need to communicate. About half an hour after our breakfast, a floating large circular piece of Earth appeared as the clouds drifted apart. In the center of it was a thin metallic pedestal, where something shone brightly.
“Almost there,” I told her. She only smiled in response. Almost there; almost time to make my move. The stairs eventually ended, and we were left on green floating islands. We had climbed the tower.
“Where was the island the Pearl is on?” Sharon asked. The staircases has obviously made her lose her sense of direction but I was easily able to keep the Pearl's location in the back of my mind.
“Over there,” I pointed to our left where islands dotted the skies like stepping stones, and in the center was the higher and larger circular island. Even at that moment, the Pearl gave off such a bright gleam that shined against the sun. “Come on,” I jumped to the nearest island and led us to the Pearl.

The final islands leading to the Pearl's location were very limited in number. In fact, it was a single straight line of island-stepping stones that led us to the Pearl while the remaining perimeter was completely void of any other surfaces. It was as if this was the only road designed for use, and we had no option but to follow the guidelines. There was a problem, however. The islands had led us to a lower portion of the Pearl's island, and there weren't any pathways available to us. It was actually like a section of the island had been broken off of it and we were standing on a luckily-placed ledge.
“Got any ideas?” Sharon looked up at the ledge of the island's higher area. Her fingers were four feet away from reaching it, and even when she jumped, she still couldn't hit the mark.
“Actually, yeah. Give me a boost up there.”
“What?”
"Let me climb on your shoulders so I can reach the top. Once I'm up there, I'll pull you up too.”
“What if there's something there that attacks you? You should let me go up first to secure the area.”
“Ah, I doubt there's anything like that. I mean, we were able to see the top part of the island while we made our way here: it was totally empty. Plus, your armor make you heavier than me.”
“It could have a magical trap that summons something. You never know.” I sighed. She obviously wasn't going to give it up.
“Alright, alright. Fine. Here, I'll boost you up, then.” I squatted down and put my left hand in my right, creating a foothold for her. She held on to my shoulders before stepping on my hands. “Ahh, you're fat,” I joked while she climbed onto my shoulders. “You got it?”
“Yeah, hang on,” I felt her weight leave me as she climbed the ledge. She brought her arm low as she reached out to me to help me up. Before I took it, a sword clanged loudly against the rock next to her.

“What the hell?!” Sharon rolled away as I cried out, unable to see anything. She escaped my limited field of view though I heard more loud clashes of steel. “Sharon, what's going on?!”
“There's some kind of humanoid up here! It's not going easy on me, Ellery!”
“Crap, that's not good,” I tried in vain to jump up the ledge, unable to reach the top on my own. “Can't go that way,” I mumbled to myself, “gotta be another way around...” The sound of war continued above me as I scanned the area. My foot scraped against thick vines as I backed up, and I realized they crawled below the island. If I was lucky, they could support my weight and if I was extremely lucky, there would be a trail of it that would lead me to topside. I tested the plants by pulling on them with all my strength and, to my surprise, they stuck to the island like glue. My body swung over the ledge while my fingers held on to the thin edge. Though my feet dangled dangerously, I was able to support my weight and managed to climb onto the vines. Amazingly, a huge growth of plants thrived on the underside of the island. “Sharon! Do you see any vines along the edges of the island?!”
“I'm a little busy here!”
“Just answer me!” Armor rolled heavily against the ground before she answered.
“Yeah, right next to me.”
“Alright good, I'm coming,” I climbed lower until I could no longer see anything above me but the greenery before heading toward the direction I had heard her voice. “Of course it'd be on the complete opposite end,” I muttered while angrily swinging my arms from vine to vine. It took a few minutes to reach the other end and climb back up and when I did, I was able to see the backside of Sharon's opponent. The armor it wore was an aged bronze, with a few exposed areas where I could see disgustingly green skin. It hadn't noticed me yet, and Sharon didn't give any indication of my presence. There was a spot on the backside of its helmet where the bald skin was exposed, and that was going to be my target. I raced toward the pair, knife in hand before leaping into the air. My knife connected expertly against the foe's skin, and we fell forward as it was unable to hold its own weight. Before it made another move, I jumped off of it and Sharon swung her blade at its neck, decapitating it. We stood in silence for a few seconds, catching our breaths.
Finally, Sharon said, “Aren't you glad I went up first?” Point for you, girl. First and last point, but still.
“Wait, where's the--” I turned around and saw the Pearl sitting pretty near a ledge; it must have gotten caught in the fighting and fell off its pedestal. Without another word, I made my way towards it and snatched it. It fit snugly in my palm and the natural white coating was milky and smooth. This was it--this was my prize. Now I just had to dispose of the girl when her back was turned and I'd be home free. I turned to face her, holding the Pearl near my face. “Hey Sharon, check it ou--”

A sudden pain thundered through my insides. A single stabbing sensation I couldn't understand. My free, shaky hand patted against my stomach and made contact with steel as Sharon's face completely obscured my vision. My eyes darted down and I saw her sword penetrating my stomach, and my leather armor was quickly reddening. Her hand grabbed the Pearl away from me as my slowing mind pieced it all together.
“Sorry, Ellery,” she said.
“Sh...Sharon—I,” I coughed once and saw red specks scatter themselves onto the ground.
“I really couldn't have made it this far without you, you know. I'm glad you were competent enough to get me here.”
“You...”
“But now that I have the Pearl, you're just in the way.”
“You... you bitch.”
“Aww. Don't hate me, I did what I had to. You were just collateral,” she brought her lips to my own, then I felt her kick me off her blade, as well as the floating island.

Blue was all I could see as the turbulent winds buffered my entire body. The floating islands were so far away and were nothing but specks against the sky. Below me, only the large lake the tower rested by was visible while the tower itself had seemingly disappeared from my vision. The wind roared in my ears and it ate away at my stab wound, shooting even more pain through me. My vision blurred while Sharon raced through my mind. This was why she was so insistent on joining me and why she agreed with a small party size. I thought I would benefit from only having us two, but now it was obvious our plans were one and the same. It's just a shame I didn't strike first and instead was waiting for her to turn around. My body began shaking uncontrollably as I continued to fall: I was in shock. There was no way out of this, and I knew it. It was nearly impossible to stay conscious, but I refused to lose myself. Even if I was going to die, I refused to let go of myself. I would see this to the very end. Somehow, I knew I was close to Earth. I could feel the winds ease up on my weakening body and though it still echoed in my ears, I could almost make out the daily chatter of the nearby town. This was it. I closed my eyes and the last thing I felt was the cruel lake water breaking every bone in my body.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Wow, what a way to go. Is the Pearl the secret artifact?! xD In all seriousness, this was really good and entertaining. I didn't expect the both of them planned on using the other to their own means before ditching or killing the other person off. And again, why is it called, "Blueshire"? I don't remember if I ever asked you that question before. xD Otherwise, I hope we find out more when you post up pt.2!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Appreciate the Beloved

I really liked this one, because it shows how much the protagonist appreciates her father for teaching her how to play piano. It was a really touching piece. I do happen to wonder if you took piano lessons, CD, because of you mentioning the middle C position. I only know how to play some piano from self taught books and such, but it'd be cool if so. (Surprisingly enough, I can't believe it only occurs to me as of now to ask you this! xD)
Sorry sorry, I keep forgetting to actually respond! I always say "I'll answer the questions when I post the next piece," but then I forget to answer them lol. Anywhos, yeah! A few years ago I took a year's worth (give or take) of a piano class! The first few months were awesome and I felt like I was picking it up naturally (I've been told it's one of the easiest instruments to learn, so I didn't let it get to my head lol) but later on I felt like my progress was tapering off. I got discouraged at my lack of improvement/difficulty curve after the large beginning results and though I told myself to keep practicing anyway, I eventually stopped all together after the end of the year. Sad story, but that's why I like writing Crystal and Zoey so much! It's very much a 'what if' situation for me. What if I had learned the piano when I was a kid? What if I was actually really really good at it? Fiction is fun because it lets you explore these ideas that might not ever happen in real life!

Wow, what a way to go. Is the Pearl the secret artifact?! xD In all seriousness, this was really good and entertaining. I didn't expect the both of them planned on using the other to their own means before ditching or killing the other person off. And again, why is it called, "Blueshire"? I don't remember if I ever asked you that question before. xD Otherwise, I hope we find out more when you post up pt.2!

No! XD The place is called Blueshire because...of...reasons?? I think when I first needed a name for a country, Yorkshire was the first thing that came to mind but I realized I couldn't just use the name of a real place. So I just stuck the color blue in there instead lmao. It worked out though, since now the capital city of Blueshire is Azure, a pretty shade of blue. Don't remember how I came up with Fayfield though... Part two coming...at some point! Soonish???

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
ERRMERGERD UNCHARTED FEURRRRR
I wrote this a while ago and though I didn't time myself, I did do it between play sessions. Because it was like, day two or something of Uncharted 4's release, there's no way I spent more than 20 minutes writing this lmao. Spoilers for Uncharted 4's intro if you care about that, since this is literally just me talking about it for four paragraphs.
---
So I'm only only chapter 6, but god damn is this entertaining so far. I've loved everything to bits so far and, though I am hardly one to care for graphics, the whole thing looks outstanding. Since I'm only at the beginning, nothing I post is going to be any major spoilers, but I'll wrap them up in spoiler tags since I know a few people would rather experience it all with a completely clean palette. The intro sequence was definitely the best Naughty Dog has made so far. I'll have to replay TLoU since I never finished it, but U4 struck an absolute chord with me and I feel as though it was a masterful piece of story telling that doubled as a tutorial for newer players. The very first boat chase was a great flash forward setup that topped U2's and incredibly dynamic. I'm not sure if the two large bits that happened to me during that sequence were completely scripted, but it definitely didn't feel like it was; the blows to the boat felt like genuine mistakes on my part, especially the one before the flash forward ended/flash back began.

Then there was Young Nathan escaping from the orphanage with Sam. Again, it serves as a tutorial for newer players but the exposition and game play provided made me forget that. There was a specific part (where Sam lowers himself to a roof, slides down it, then jumps to the next building) where my dad walked in. He speaks mostly in Spanish and isn't one for video games, but he stood there and watched the actions fold out. Then, when it was Nate's turn, I executed the same maneuvers perfectly. Dad just laughed, and I said 'just like a movie, huh?' he laughed again and mumbled 'Pinche cabrones,' before walking off. 'Crazy bastards.' The graphics helped in sucking him in, but the action provided was enough to draw his attention and it speaks volumes that he watched for that long (he watched a bit before this, where Nathan and Sam shimmied along the roofs and made their way along the rooftops) where he would have otherwise lost interest with a more fantasy styled game. It's a shame he missed the Spanish prison scene. He might have gotten a kick out of that.

The best part was undoubtedly Nathan's every day life. If you haven't gotten this far, I would recommend skipping the rest of this so you can enjoy it for yourself. I knew this part was coming in someway despite the fact I know next to nothing about the events in this game (I didn't even know Sam was Nathan's brother. I avoided all information to see the story with totally fresh eyes.) but the way we're introduced to Nathan's ordinary life was genius. After the prison scenario we take control of Nathan as he swims underwater in full scuba gear as he searches for something and someone leads him along via electronic communications. The fact you can find a treasure collectable during this part--and that it's in the shape of a shark--really disguises this as an ocean adventure that was brought along by findings in the previous scenario. Sam's absence and the voice of someone you haven't even met yet guiding you along reinforces this as well, along with the fact that there are several comments about how Nathan's oxygen tank is getting low, suggesting a prolonged dive in search of his prize. When Nathan is finally extracted via the crane, you're put on the spot. This isn't the ocean--it's a river in a city. While walking along the ship you can see the bridge above you with sparks along a busted railing. Someone is fixing it, ergo there was an accident, most likely with a vehicle flying off into the river. Then, when you see the cargo, (some copper wiring) you realize Nathan's just the clean up crew. It's a strange situation where--even in his normal life--he still does work involving exploration while refusing to take an illegal cleanup.

Then there's the part that completely sold it. We're in Nathan's attic and you can walk about and interact with various trinkets from his past adventures. His small remarks about the miniature multi-armed statue, Sully being saved by Sir Frances' diary, and the doubloon all give off a great nostalgic and yearning feeling that floored me. But then it gets better. Drake's holster with the toy gun activates the most intense fight the series has seen as Nathan fights off...circular targets he had pinned to the walls. The idea of a grown man taking cover behind a shelf and blind firing plastic nerf bullets at a zombie-cut out in his attic was too good of a treat for me. But then it gets better. As you make your way back down you can explore the rooms to find Nathan and Elena's vacation and wedding photos, showing the audience and Nathan really has settled down for good. It might seem like a throwaway, but this--and Nathan's constant refusal to take the illegal job, even when Elena nudges him on--really shows that Nathan has put it all behind him. But then it gets better. Through some silly bet, Nathan tries to take down Elena's best score in Crash mother diddlying Bandicoot. I grew up as a Nintendo kid but even I recognized the Sony logo's sound effects when it booted up (I was unsure whether or not it really was a PS1 sitting below the TV at first.) Remember I knew nothing coming into this, so playing--literally playing--Crash while Nathan and Elena banter in the background was pure joy. ("Wait, what happened?" "He fell down a pit." "Why doesn't he climb out? I would have climbed out.") Since I was a Nintendo kid, it really did feel like Elena was trying to coach me. ("You gotta spin!" "o...ya. ok.") I particularly loved that you couldn't use the analogue sticks to move Crash. At the time, the game was only controlled by the Dpad. It was a great attention to detail but, I mean, come on. Naughty Dog made Crash so it would probably have been worse if they changed it. It was fantastically well done and I can't see how they would have topped it.
---
"Shiiiiit I might as well use this for the Creative Writing section's 20 Minute Challenge. I might have gone over that time limit though. All I know for sure is that I've wasted too much time writing this and not enough time playing."

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
ERRMERGERD UNCHARTED FEURRRRR

It speaks volumes of how much you love this game. Including how much your dad seemed to enjoy Nathan's escape from an orphanage. I also didn't know you spoke spanish, so I learned something new about you today too. I've only played some of the first game, so I imagine I've missed a lot with the Uncharted series. But I'm pleased about how this one ended because, yes, I'm a nintendo girl too. Crash Bandicoot is my jam. <3 Overall, it was a pleasure reading your thoughts on the game, CD.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
The first third of Relent for the Three Day Writing Challenge as well as a third of the A Choice Writing Challenge. Part 1 here.
---
Relent pt 2(Day 1/3; A Choice)
Faint voices reached me from the darkness that had engulfed me. Though I couldn't make them out at first, they were slowly becoming clearer as a slit of light entered my vision. I realized the light was my bleary eyes that were just managing to open. The intense aches I felt were enough to instantly cause me to groan out loud: my entire body felt as if it were on fire. I struggled but that only made the pain worse.
“Calm down, friend,” a male voice told me as his open palm rested on my forehead, “you're alright now. Shhh, just calm down...” his hand sent a peaceful sensation from my head that flooded gracefully throughout my body. It drowned out the fires that were haunting me and I nearly lost consciousness once again.
“I ain't dead, huh?”
“Thank the gods, young one. Had you not landed near my humble home you would have been lost forever.”
“How long have I been out?”
“Two weeks,” a new female voice answered. I shot my eyes open and found a familiar face looking down at me. Her chestnut brown hair was short and circled her face in a bob cut, and her amber eyes pierced through her light skin.
“Sana,” I sat upright despite the protests of the elderly white-bearded man besides me. His white robes led me to believe he was a priest of some kind. If he lived alone he was most likely here for spiritual training of some sort. Sana Hare crossed her arms at me, the brown robe she wore concealed her tight fitting black leather armor.
“What name are you going as right now?”
“Good t' see ya too. It's Ellery. Ellery White.”
“Can you stand, Ellery?”
“I can try.” With the help of the priest I managed to get to my feet, though I was still a bit wobbly.
“You shouldn't be moving around, young one! You need rest!” He told me.
“Thanks fer saving my life but I can manage from here on. Sana, if you would?” She nodded and produced a small leather sack tied by string. Without another word, Sana tossed the sack at the priest's feet. As soon as it hit the ground, it opened itself to reveal a large number of golden coins.
“Wh—what's all...?”
“We take care of our own,” she answered as I placed my arm around her shoulder for support, “however, when we can't, we always reimburse those involved.”
“But I'm a man of faith! I can't accept this.”
“Just take the cash, old timer,” I told him, “in exchange, forget I was ever here.”
“B—but...”
“You're part of a church, yeah?”
“Yes, the Cathedral of--”
“Yeah yeah, whatever. If anyone asks where you got the money from, tell them someone donated it to the church. As a man of faith myself, I gotta believe the gods brought us together. This is their reward for your faith, got it? And I'm their messenger.”
“I...I understand. But at least take these for the pain,” he handed Sana a pair of glass flasks filled with blue liquid.
“Thanks. Remember, we were never here.”
“I've never seen either of you in my life,” he responded with a smile.
Sana whispered to me as we left the priest's miniscule shack, “You're not a man of faith.”
“Shut up and gimme one of those potions.”
“As you wish.”

Sana hobbled me away from the shack and towards the town, though I couldn't help but look at the tower that loomed over the vast lake. It seemed so far away now, and the fog forced it to appear nearly transparent, as if it was only a mirage from my imagination.
“So what've I missed?” Sana sighed deeply, letting me know just how much I screwed up before even saying a word.
“That woman's locked herself away in the tower with the Pearl, for starters. It looks like it's given her power over the tower entirely and can do whatever she wants in there. The main entrance is locked tight and the town is worried that she'll soon be able to command more power from it as time goes on.”
“What are you talkin' about?”
“Remember the stories? The Pearl was said to be the source of power for a demon that sucked the energy out of everything.”
“Yeah, but that's just a dumb story. The Pearl's nothin' more than a gemstone. I've held it and felt didn't feel a thing.”
“You don't have a drop of magic in you, Ellery. Everyone knows that. Someone like you wouldn't be able to tap into the Pearl but that woman already controls the tower with the Pearl's magic. Imagine what she'll be able to do if the demon's power source merges with her somehow.” Damn. The stories say that the tower itself was an instrument used to draw the demon's energy to the Pearl, almost like a lightning rod. The more time she spent up there, the more of power she would siphon and eventually she'll have the same powers of that demon.
“Have the mages figured out how long we 'ave until she turns into a tyrant?”
“They have no idea. To make matters worse, the Band of Thieves isn't happy with your failure. It might have been better if you had died, to be honest.”
“The punishment's that bad huh?” I felt strong enough to let go of Sana's support and walk on my own two feet.
“It is. Remember this?” She pulled out a piece of paper that had been folded numerous times. On it was a short message: 'Almost at the top. After tomorrow, the Pearl is ours. --C.C.'
“Yeah. That's the note I sent you the night before reachin' the Pearl.”
“We mobilized as soon as we got this. We were waiting and ready to extract you once you gave us the signal, but what did we see through our binoculars instead?”
“Damn it.”
“That's right,” tears appeared in Sana's eyes and I felt a rare tinge in my heart as she went on .”your lifeless corpse plummeting through the clouds into the lake. Not only did you fail the Band but I thought you failed me as well.”
“I'm sorry,” I placed my hand over her cheek, rubbing away a tear with my thumb.
“We thought you were dead. And I had to be the one to retrieve your body.”
“I'm sorry.”
“The only reason you're still here is because of that priest—and you don't even believe in any of the gods!” She sobbed.
“Sana, I'm sorry. I really am. There's nothin' I can do about it now, but look! I'm alive, aren't I? I 'aven't broken my promise.”
“I still have to take you to the Band,” she ignored my plight completely and walked ahead of me, rubbing at her eyes.
“No.”
“What?” She turned around, completely caught off guard.
“I said 'no.' I might get knocked down once this is over, but for now I'm still your superior. We ain't goin' back to the Band. Not yet.”
“What are you--” I pointed at the tower.
“I 'aven't finished my mission yet, 'ave I?”

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
A little late, but 10PM is still considered Day 2!
---
Relent pt2 (Day 2/3; A Choice)
Sana and I entered the tall building near the center of town. It was the Flying Lancer's headquarters for this town and, as one might expect, there were plenty of pegasus flying overhead.
“This isn't going to work,” Sana whispered to me as I swung the doors open. The slick white floor reflect the torches on the walls, though there was a lush red carpet that stretched from the doorway to the main desk. A flight of stairs sat to the left of the desk which lead to a door on the second floor.
“Trust your superior, 'ave I ever led you astray before?”
“Yes. Plenty of times.” I ignored her and made my way to a crowd of people near the front desk. One of the men turned around and cried out.
“Ellery! It's Ellery, he's alive!” Instantly the crowd faced me and rushed toward us. We were surrounded by the townspeople. Their overlapping voices made it impossible to hear anything though a loud echoing bang filled the hall. Across the hall stood a woman in green armor next to a gong, in her hand was a wooden mallet with a white tip. I dully registered that the gong was normally used for announcements, though this time the loud noise she created quieted the entire room and she smade direct eye contact. In a split second, she ran toward me.
“Ellery!” she yelled before embracing me.
“Friend of yours?” Sana asked. I wanted to tell her I had no idea who the girl was, but by this point I was already in character and had to keep my mouth shut.
“We thought you were dead,” the girl went on as she let go of me, her eyes red from tears.
“Rest assured, I'm alive and well thanks to this woman,” I motioned to Sana who bowed.
“My name is Morgan,” Sana said, “I happened to come across Ellery as he fell and found a healer to restore his health.”
“You have my thanks. Ellery is very important to me.” I am? The crowd of people seemed to huddle closer to us, as if they were trying to nonchalantly eavesdrop even though the conversation was out in public.
“Is that a fact?” Sana's gaze made me uncomfortable. The girl was completely oblivious to Sana's glare and went on.
“Oh yes. He's asked for my hand in marriage once the Pearl was recovered, but I had to decline.” Sana's glare grew more hateful.
“You'll have to forgive me,” I pushed ahead of Sana so I wouldn't have to look at her anymore, “but I seemed to have a lapse in my memory. What is your name again?”
“Beth, though I have to say I'm a bit offended that you've forgotten the name of the woman you proposed to.”
“Look, we have bigger things to worry about. Sharon's got the Pearl, doesn't she? If that's the case then it's only a matter of time before she brings havoc to this town.”

I urged the girl—Beth—to take the three of us somewhere private to talk. I brought up a few ideas on how to get the Pearl back, and after a brief deliberation we settled on a plan of action and wasted no time in playing it out. A group of townspeople followed the three of us to the base of the tower. Really, I was the only one that needed to appear, but having Sana was a trump card, as were the rest of the townsfolk. Just like Sana had mentioned, the ivory tower's light blue door was shut. I knocked on it lightly, to no response.
“Really?” Sana asked, bewildered.
“It was worth a shot,” I defended myself before crying out: “Sharon! I know you can hear me. We've got unfinished business! You haven't killed me yet, and I've got a sinking suspicion that that annoys you to some degree!” Still, there was no answer.
“I don't think she's going to show up, Ellery,” Sana covered her mouth with a smug expression, “it's almost as if she knows she can't take you on in a fair fight.”
“It sure does. What a coward,” I pressed on with a dismissive tone, “To think someone would take the Pearl in such a shameful way. She didn't even make it to the top of the tower on her own and had to rely on me to carry her there—both metaphorically and sometimes literally.” This was the final push we needed to goad her out of hiding as the light blue doors slammed open with enough force to knock me back a few steps. Standing at the darkened entrance was the same girl who had nearly killed me a fortnight ago. Her skin was outstandingly pale, almost blue. Her hair had lost its color and was now nearly completely white, and though her pupils were visible, Sharon's eyes were distinctly much less human-like than before. It was as if we had caught a glimpse of some kind of metamorphosis.
“What do you want, Ellery?” Though her stern voice was calm and collected, I could easily sense the hostel undertones as well as the evil eye she was giving me.
“Glad to see you're still alive,” I told her warmly, “though I doubt the feeling is mutual? How have you been? I'm surprised you're not dead considering you didn't even know what was edible up there to begin with.”
“The Pearl fuels me, now. It has been sustaining me ever since I killed you.”
“But I'm not dead.”
“Something I'll make sure to fix,” She unsheathed her sword and pointed it directly at me. Sana stood besides me as I pulled out my combat knife with a smile. The trap had been sprung.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
We in there.
---

Relent pt2 (Day 3/3; A Choice)
Sharon rushed at me in an instant, and I just barely managed to duck under the sword swing. Her speed was incredible, much faster than I had first expected. I kicked low in a sweeping motion to knock Sharon off her feet, but it was like hitting a metal pole: my foot bounced back in pain. Sana revealed her weapon—a pair of crossbows—before opening fire at our opponent. The would-be demon knocked the darts out of the air and tossed them aside.
“Well, crap,” I rolled to the side and got back on my feet.
“See how feeble you are?” Sharon growled, “I haven't even gotten half of my power and already you're useless when compared to me.” That seemed to be true, but this she was expecting a fair fight from us. Poor sucker. We just needed an opening and we could shut her down. Sharon once again stabbed at me, though I managed to side step the attack. It was obvious her power was too great for me to try and match; her blade would knock my knife away without any effort. Instead I had to keep moving. I circled counter clockwise while Sana moved clockwise around our opponent. For further distraction, I launched a pair of throwing knives at Sharon's feet, who easily jumped backwards to avoid them. The knives clanged loudly against the floor as Sharon had unwittingly gotten within Sana's range. The duel crossbows fired at Sharon's sword hand, and she cried out in pain as they punctured though her arm. All of Sana's bolts had been coated in the potion the priest had given us, and as Sana held Sharon in a nelson headlock. Without missing a beat I rushed toward the pair, the potion at the ready. “What are you doing?!” Sharon screamed. I ignored her and did my best to pour the healing potion down her throat. I heard a loud sizzling sound as the liquid made contact with her interior. The woman howled in agony as she fell to her knees. “What did you do to me?!” She gurgled. Sana lightly kicked her so Sharon was on her sides.
“When you tried to kill me, a priest took me in. He healed me and gave me these.” I held out the now empty potion bottles. “They're healing potions, but they weren't made of herbs. They tasted far too pure. So I thought if a holy man made his own potions, would would he make them out of?”
“No.”
“Yeah. Holy water. A natural demon repellant. And guess what you are now? Part demon. You have two choices, Sharon. Surrender the Pearl and relinquish your power, or burn in a holy flame.”
“I can't! I won't!”
“Then you're going to die,” I told her while placing a foot over her wrist, the same one Sana had shot. The twin crossbow bolts had pierced though her arm and I applied pressure right between them. The woman yelled out once more, tears streaming from her eyes. “Give us the Pearl.”
“No!” Sana audibly reloaded her crossbows as loudly as she could.
“Hear that? My friend is getting ready to fire on you again. And each one of those arrows have the same holy concoction.” Sharon didn't answer and only squirmed instead. Sana placed the tip of one of her crossbows against Sharon's shoulder. The same sizzle was heard as the bolt pressed against her bare skin.

“Stop!” Sharon howled, “stop! Stop, stop. I'll... I'll do it. I'll do it, just please. Stop.” Sana pulled her weapon away. I let Sharon sit up on her knees, though I held my dagger ready, just in case. The woman held her stomach in what I thought was pain, though I quickly realized she was actually reaching into her belly button. With her index finger and thumb, she began to pull at it. The large Pearl emerged from within, completely in tact and just as beautiful as the last time I saw it. Though I'll admit I was a bit grossed out at its location. Sharon handed me the gem, which fit snugly in my palm. I looked the Pearl over. This was what had caused so much issues in the past, and that nearly happened again. Sharon sobbed once before falling over again, this time she lost consciousness.
“The loss of the Pearl was too much for her body,” Beth explained, “she's lost a bit of blood too, but she should be fine after some rest.”
“What are you going to do with her?” Sana asked as I approached the two of them. The crowd of people that had watched the fight were silent and awestricken.
“The Flying Lancers will place her under custody and she will be tried for her crimes.”
“I see.”
“And the Pearl?” I asked. “What are you—we—going to do with it?”
“It's too dangerous to keep around. We'll lock it away in the vault.”
“Vault?”
“Yes. The treasure vault we have. Though it will be placed in a more secure area than the rest of the valuables.”
“I see.” Beth held her hand out to me expectantly. The townsfolk behind her shared the same look of hopefulness as they watched me. At the same time, Sana stood apart from the group and simply stared at me. I looked down at the Pearl in my hand. This was what we were working for. I nearly died for this gemstone filled with malice. And yet, as I looked at Beth and the townsfolk, I knew I couldn't just leave with it. I gave Sana a quick glance before slowly walking toward Beth. My partner frowned at me as I reached for Beth's hand. “I'm going to help you keep the Pearl safe,” I told her before placing my lips against her bare fingers. “I promise.” The townspeople erupted into a loud cheer as Beth's face grew beet red. Sana stepped away from the group and didn't look back. This is what I have decided. Sorry, Sana.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Zoey and Crystal are a bunch of dorks. Also this is completely separate from Underappreciated, so none of that storyline applies to this. Writing Challenge: What Frightens You?
---
Appreciate the Fear
Zoey reached through the ends of the shower curtain and turned the large spherical knob. In an instant, the bathtub's faucet sprang to life, though a quick tap on the button-like piece on the snout turned the shower head on instead. The girl hummed happily to herself as she placed her arm under the running water, gauging the temperature. Of course, she knew it would be too cold so early on but it was a habit she had developed to check the water as soon as it turned on. While she waited for the water to heat up, Zoey went to the window on the opposite end of the room just across the door and looked out. The apartment was on the second floor and she had a surprisingly good view of the reset of the town. There wasn't much to see at the moment however, the night sky shrouded the area in darkness, save for the few streetlamps that dotted the avenue. The crescent moon high above was joined by a few clouds though those drifted through the air aimlessly. Zoey stretched her arms above her head and let out a long lazy yawn. She had spent the entire day inside and hadn't gone outside at all. She was usually more of an active person but that day was extremely lethargic and filled with TV and web browsing. Maybe it was due to this lack of activity that her shoulder cracked audibly against the sound of the shower. A second crack was heard as she turned her torso around to stretch her back and she found herself face to face with her reflection on the mirror on the wall, on the opposite side of the bathtub. Her freckled face blinked to herself and she stuck her tongue out with a smile. Her curly hair was even messier than usual and she was not looking forward to attempting to sort it out once she got out of the shower.

Once more, Zoey stuck her hand under the running water and was satisfied with the warm downpour. Her fresh set of clothing was already placed on the counter next to the sink and she easily kicked off her slippers. She crossed her arms and gripped at the bottom of her shirt before pulling it over her head. Light blue fabric obstructed her vision as the material easily removed itself from her body, though it caught a snag as soon as it reached her hair. Zoey managed to quickly resolve herself and tossed the blouse on the counter. As she did so, she realized just how pale she really was. Everyone always joked about it, but she could probably blend in with pure sand quite well. Zoey pouted to herself as she once again looked at herself in the mirror. Christ, even her white bra was a darker shade than her skin. At least her freckles had some color in them? She rubbed at her eyes in frustration before placing her hands on her hips and looked at the ceiling. She was about to make a fake prayer motion in jest, but froze completely. Her pupils constricted at the sight in front of her and she took a few steps backwards before falling, her back hitting the closed door. The girl brought both hands over her mouth in shock. In the corner of the room sat a fat black mass. Its eight protruding legs clung to the walls in a way she found completely grotesque.
“Zoey?” Her roommate's voice echoed through the apartment, “Are you okay?”
“Fine!” Zoey answered, her voice at least an octave higher than normal. “I'm fine! Totally fine. I just...dropped something.”
“Was that something you?”
“Yes,” she responded, “but I'm fine.” There wasn't a response as Zoey stood back up, her bare skin finally registering the cool wooden door she had been sitting against. Okay, I can do this, she told herself, it's just a spider. You got this, girl. Just as she reached for her slipper, the large arachnid moved away from the corner and towards the wall closest to her. Its legs moved in a way that sent shivers down her spine. Just kidding, I'm gonna die! She let out a soft squeak as she moved to the opposite corner, next to the toilet and as far away as the spider as possible. She looked at her slipper. Would it have enough mass to crush that beast? The fact that it was fuzzy, pink, and had the head of a rabbit didn't exactly inspire confidence in her. Still, she inserted her hand into the slipper and tiptoed towards the sink. The shower's water scattered noisily against the plastic curtain as Zoey cautiously approached the spider. As if to taunt her, the eight legged monstrosity crawled to the lower section of the wall, easily within striking distance. Zoey was a few feet away from the wall when she pulled her arm back, ready to attack. At that moment, the spider quickly scuttled back up the wall, scaring the crap out of her. She ran towards the bathroom door and bashed both fists onto it: “CRYSTAAAAAA-AAAL!” Zoey howled bloody murder, her voice cracking.

Within seconds the door swung open, causing Zoey to fall forward into her roommate's arms.
“What the hell?”
“Kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it,” Zoey literally cried.
“Why are you topless?!” Instead of answering, the freckled girl ran behind her roommate and cowered before lightly pushing Crystal into the bathroom. “What's going on?” Zoey couldn't respond, and only sniffed before pointing over her roommate's shoulder and towards the wall. The large spider was completely still when Crystal saw it, and she let out a small laugh. “Is that it? A spider?”
“Mmm mmut mmm,” Zoey sobbed.
“Alright, alright. I'll play grown-up, then.” Crystal left the bathroom—with Zoey following behind—and returned with a running shoe. The spider had once again crawled back towards the lower section of the wall, and was once again in the optimal area for squishing. Following Zoey's previous attempt, Crystal approached the wall and stared at the spider for a second. She decided it was incredibly ugly.
“What are you doing?!” Zoey hissed near the door, “hurry up and kill it!”
“Sh-shut up! I'm gonna!” The shower's torrent continued to spray itself against the plastic curtain as Crystal gulped loudly. Without another second's hesitation, she closed her eyes and slammed the shoe against the wall. The girl rubbed the shoe against the wall for good measure and opened her eyes. The spider was nowhere to be seen. “See? Nothing to it,” she said. Crystal pulled the shoe away and was horrified to see the intact spider still clinging to the wall.
“WHAT,” Zoey yelled, “is it made of steel or something?!”
“I—I don't...” Crystal looked at the bottom of her shoe and realized what had happened. The shoe had a small arch right in between the heel and the rest of the foot. The spider lucked out and had managed to squeeze itself into that tight spot as the shoe slammed towards it. “F-fine! I'll just aim better.” Crystal readied the shoe again, but—for whatever reason—the spider fell off the wall and directly in front of the girl's bare foot. She let out a shriek and jumped backwards, nearly falling into the bathtub.
“Crystal!”
“IT TOUCHED ME,” Crystal bellowed, “Get out! Out out out!” The two girls sprinted out of the bathroom as the panic-filled spider raced this way and that, completely unaware of anything that had happened. Crystal slammed the bathroom door close before falling to her knees. She shivered as she tried to forget the sensation of the spider touching her foot. It had almost felt like walking into a stray hair that had fallen. Crystal cringed again as Zoey sat in front of her in the hall.
“What now?” The freckled girl asked.
“We...we have to be adults about it,” she responded. “We need to...Would you put some clothes on?!”
“The spider has my shirt,” Zoey sniffed.
“Then grab a different one from your dresser or something!” There was a knock at their door.
“Hey is everything okay in there?” A male's voice asked. “We heard screaming.” It was one of their neighbors, though neither Zoey nor Crystal were sure who it was.
“We're fine!” The pair answered simultaneously. Crystal followed up with, “We're...just watching a scary movie!”

Techno music filled the bathroom as a young man stepped out of his shower. He grabbed the black towel hanging nearby and rubbed it against his head, drying it completely. As he was finishing that up, his phone began to ring. He pulled the towel off his head and grabbing the device, noting the fogged up mirror.
He brought the phone up to his ear, “Hello?”
“Heeeeey, bro,” Crystal's voice came from the other end of the line, “how are you?”
“Hey, Crys. I'm fine. Just got out of the shower. You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.”
“Ha...! The-The Simpsons, I remember that joke.”
“Ask him!” Zoey's distant voice said.
“Shh!”
“Uh. Something on your mind?” Casper asked while trying to uncap his deodorant stick with only one hand.
“I, err, yeah actually. Zoey and I were wondering if you wanted to hang out?”
“Yeah, that'd be cool I guess. When?”
“Now?”
“...What, you might right now?”
“Yeah, now would be good.”
“I...I mean, it's a bit late, isn't it?”
“Pllleeeaase!” Zoey cried out in the distance. Casper sighed.
“Fine, fine. Lemme dry up and I'll make my way over there.”
“Okay great! Um, but there's something I ought to tell you.”
“Crystal, no!” Zoey yelled, “If you tell him, he'll know!”
“I can't just lie to him!”
“Wh—what's going on?” The boy asked, distraught.
“Well...”

Twenty minutes later, Casper stood before Zoey and Crystal's apartment, annoyed.
“I can't believe this,” he mumbled to himself before knocking on the door. It swung open a split second later and he was yanked in by two pairs of hands.
“Thank you thank you thank you!” Zoey cheered, hugging the boy tightly. At the very least she had managed to replace her shirt with a red one.
“Are you kidding me?” Casper asked, looking at Crystal. She gave him a bashful, apologetic look. The two girls led him towards the bathroom, though Crystal held out her hand.
“Let me at least make sure it's safe to enter,” she said seriously. The girl cracked the door open and peered inside. The light was still on, though she had managed to run in and turn the shower off earlier to save water. “Okay, it's near the mirror. Go get 'em.”
“You're just as bad as Zoey,” Casper sighed before entering the bathroom. The two girls watched on as he approached the wall, shoe in hand. He stared at the spider for a second before quickly slamming the shoe against it with a satisfying crunch. Zoey and Crystal let out deep breaths as Casper removed the shoe. “Oh my god,” he breathed before backing up. The trio watched in horror as hundreds of smaller spiders emerged from the dead spider's body. Casper was petrified as it all unfolded in front of him and he just barely had the presence of mind to throw the show to the ground, which also had baby spiders crawling on it. The specks crawled over the walls and toward the floor as Casper froze.
“Run!” Zoey yelled, snapping him awake.
“Crap!” the boy cried as he darted out of the bathroom and into the hall. As soon as he made it out, the two girls slammed the door and ran into the living room. “What the crap was that?!” he huffed to them before pulling out his phone.
“Are you calling a friend?” Zoey asked, “is he good at killing bugs?”
“Hell no! I'm calling an Uber and getting the hell away from here.”
“What?!” Crystal cried.
“I didn't sign up for this! You said 'one spider,' which I took out.” There was another knock at the door as the same man called in.
“Hey, are you sure you're okay?! We heard more screaming.”
“We're fine!” The trio cried in unison.
“The movie's just really really good!” Crystal added.
“Really? Can I borrow it when you're done?”
“...Y-yeah. Sure.”
“Cool, thanks.” Casper stood up.
“Where's your tape?”
“Huh?”
“I'm gonna seal the room so they don't get out.”

A few minutes later, the trio sat in a small circle in the living room.
“What are we gonna do?” Zoey mumbled.
“Do you have any bug spray? We can just nuke them or something.”
“If we had that we would have used it from the start,” Crystal answered before pulling out her own phone.
“I don't think a fourth person is going to do us much good,” Casper told her.
“I'm calling an exterminator.”
“Don't you think that's a bit much?”
“Oh, I'm sorry! Do you want to go in there and deal with them yourself?” He didn't answer as the call went through. “Hello, yes. My name is Crystal Donn...”
Casper sighed, “I can't believe I got roped into this.”
“I can't believe the spider exploded into more spiders,” Zoey told him, “I didn't think that could happen.”
“Ugh. Stop talking about it. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.”
“You?! I live here!” Crystal hung the phone and turned to the other two.
“Okay, they're going to get a guy down here to spray the bathroom.”
“Great, in that case I'm going home.”
“But! They can't send him in until tomorrow morning.”
“What?!” Zoey cried. “Where are we going to sleep?!”
“It's not like it's in your rooms or anything.”
“Casper!” Zoey gripped the boy's shirt collar dangerously, “you gotta let us stay at your place.”
“I do?”
“Yeah!” Crystal joined in, clinging to his arm, “you wouldn't want us, two defenseless girls, to spend the night with a ton of spiders, would you?”
“Defenseless my ass! We all know you can beat the crap out of me!” The two girls looked up at him, their eyes shining and pleading. “God damn it,” he caved, “fine. But I only live in a studio apartment. You know that, right?” The two girls nodded quickly before packing a few pieces of clothing into a bag before heading out. About twenty minutes later, Casper opened the door to his apartment. The three of them were too tired to do anything else besides sleep, so Casper headed into the bathroom to change while the girls did the same outside. As soon as he entered the rest room, Casper froze. “Guys?!” He cried.
“Oh hell no,” Zoey teared up, peering over his shoulder. “Please don't tell me it's here too?!” However the walls were bare, confusing her.
“Just kidding,” he told her, earning him an open hand slap to the back of the head. He laughed before closing the door.
“You're brother's a jerk, Zoey announced. A few minutes later, Casper exited the bathroom after making sure both girls were decent.
“Alright, I've only got the bed and a couch, so you two will have to share and I'll just sleep on the couch.”
“You expect us to sleep by ourselves?!” Zoey cried, “after what we've been through?!”
“...No. Like I said, you'll have each--” Crystal yanked at her brother's arm.
“Get in the god damned bed,” she ordered. And so, Crystal took the left side of the mattress, Casper was jammed in the middle, and Zoey took the right.
“...This is very uncomfortable,” Casper told the pair. The bed just barely managed to hold them together, though even he would admit he was haunted by the image of the spiders erupting from the larger corpse. So much so that he couldn't fall asleep, nor could either of his companions, who clung to him as if he were a large bear. After about an hour of the sleepless night, the three of them grunted and all said at once: “God damn it.”

The next day, Crystal's phone rang during breakfast. After a quick conversation she turned to the other two.
“That was the exterminator,” she told them, “he said he unsealed the room and went in, but didn't find any sign of any spiders. Not even the big one we killed.”

Last edited:

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
CD, this was such an excellent read and I'm shivering from it as I'm actually looking around my room to ensure they didn't pop up in here! I'm hoping there is a second part because that spider mystery need to be solved as soon as possible!

Speaking of which, how'd you like to write out a skit of Crystal and Alex?? It can be something short or whatnot.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CD, this was such an excellent read and I'm shivering from it as I'm actually looking around my room to ensure they didn't pop up in here! I'm hoping there is a second part because that spider mystery need to be solved as soon as possible!
Haha thanks. I had a ton of fun writing it as well. And as an adult I've still had moments where I've found spiders too big for me to handle and had to have someone else take care of them. And nah that's the end of the story. The last paragraph was just there for an 'oh shit' moment and I threw it in at the last second. The story was supposed to end before that, that's why the last paragraph is so short!

Speaking of which, how'd you like to write out a skit of Crystal and Alex?? It can be something short or whatnot.

Sure, sounds like fun! Though you'll have to give me a small setting or situation or something so I have a bit to work off of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back