• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Catching up on and clarifying lore

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

eriqafrint

So its been a long time since Ive got into the KH series. Only the E3 Kh3 reveal brought me back. Im trying to regather what I know and what I want to know about the lore so some avid KH vets out there will hopefully fill me in.

As we all know, KH is a lore heavy game with lots of philosophical questions and even as an 8 year old when I played the 1st game I was still digging deep into the lore. I need some catching up on it and some help understanding some aspects (mostly surrounding the prequel spinoff games that I never played and darkness and so on and so forth)

Question No. 1:

So I read some random place that in one of the games that children have no darkness in their hearts and all hearts are born without it. Is this hocus pocus or is this true? If so, Where did ll the non darkened hearts go during the invasion of heartless in KH1?

Question no 2:
So kingdom hearts is a collection of all hearts. Can it be corrupted by darkness? also, is it a place like what we think of heaven?

Question No 3:
I either forgot about this or its in the prior mentioned prequel games ive never played: Who is Ven?

Question No 4:
This one is a bit subjective and really has rustled my jimmies since I was 8. Ive asked this indirectly on other threads but now im just going to be blunt; In the 1st game many worlds were swallowed by darkness. many of these world were disney worlds. I even complied a list of all the "beloved" characters lost to darkness:
Rafiki
Timone and pumbaa
Nala
Cogsworth
Ms Pots
Chip
Lumiere
The mice from Cinderella,
Prince whatshisface generic pants from Cinderella
The seven dwarfs
the 3 faries from sleeping beauty
Mulan.
Almost Pinocchio
Mulan.

List goes on. This question has bugged me in my 12 years of knowing about this: Were these characters turned to heartless? The possibility of so has not only bugged me since I was a kid but made me angry at tetsuya nomura for either not thinking about this or intentionally implying this to us. As a kid I always thought of KH as a disney game but now that I have become older, I begin questioning that notion.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Ven, or Ventus is one of the 'Keys', as Naminè called them. He is, along with Aqua and Terra featured in Birth by Sleep. Long story short, his hearts now resides within Sora. He hinself is sleeping in the Cavern of Rememberance, a room hidden in Castle Oblivion/Land of Departure.

4. No. Because of their strong hearts. Besides, all of those Characters' Worlds appear in the series. Some in KH2, some in BbS, so I don't really know. We also saw Cinderella, Aurora and so in KH1, so they clearly were not turned into heartless.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Ok, because I'm not an actual loremaster (yet) and I don't really feel like digging around the interviews, take what I say with a grain of salt. But I'll tell you what I can.
So I read some random place that in one of the games that children have no darkness in their hearts and all hearts are born without it. Is this hocus pocus or is this true? If so, Where did ll the non darkened hearts go during the invasion of heartless in KH1?
It's implied that ever since the Keyblade War, darkness is naturally found in all born hearts. The exceptions to this are the Princesses of Heart.

Question no 2:
So kingdom hearts is a collection of all hearts. Can it be corrupted by darkness? also, is it a place like what we think of heaven?
Any Kingdom Hearts that we've seen thus far (except for maybe the one in BBS... ugh, I'm still not sure what was going on with that, bet we can blame Rule of Cool) has been artificial. While you can emulate KH by conglomerating a lot of hearts in one place (whether those be the hearts of worlds or of people), the true Kingdom Hearts is the source of all hearts, the light that the Keyblade War was fought over. It's somewhere in the Realm of Darkness right now. I'd imagine that it can't be corrupted by darkness any more than a PoH can be.

Question No 3:
I either forgot about this or its in the prior mentioned prequel games ive never played: Who is Ven?
Ven, or Ventus, is a Keyblade wielder-in-training who's currently in a 10+ year-long coma because his heart got rekt, left his body, and has been slowly healing in Sora's heart ever since. How that happened... that's a huge part of BBS's plot, so.
Question No 4:
This one is a bit subjective and really has rustled my jimmies since I was 8. Ive asked this indirectly on other threads but now im just going to be blunt; In the 1st game many worlds were swallowed by darkness. many of these world were disney worlds. I even complied a list of all the "beloved" characters lost to darkness:
[snip]
List goes on. This question has bugged me in my 12 years of knowing about this: Were these characters turned to heartless? The possibility of so has not only bugged me since I was a kid but made me angry at tetsuya nomura for either not thinking about this or intentionally implying this to us. As a kid I always thought of KH as a disney game but now that I have become older, I begin questioning that notion.

Why would that make KH any less of a Disney game? Disney themselves had to approve of everything Nomura and his team did, you know. And Disney itself can be really dark on its own. Just take a look at how the villains die in the movies. A lot of them are downright visceral compared to the JRPG deaths they get in KH.

Anyways, back before DDD, if your world fell to darkness, basically one of three things could happen to you: you'd survive and get hurled into a new world, you wouldn't make it and turn into a Heartless, or you'd turn into a Summon Gem instead of a Heartless. (Well, there's also Monstro, who can just float around interworld space without needing a world...)
However, DDD revealed that a world consumed by the Heartless can sink into the Realm of Sleep, taking most of its inhabitants with it. So, it's possible that a good deal of your favorite characters were stuck in the Realm of Sleep, rather than scuttling about as primordial darkness zombies.

Of course, that doesn't mean they ALL escaped the Heartless. There's a reason why there're so many of em in KH1. However, shutting the Door to Darkness at the end of KH1 restored all the lost worlds and their inhabitants, several of which we visit and meet later in KHII. It all worked out in the end.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
So its been a long time since Ive got into the KH series. Only the E3 Kh3 reveal brought me back. Im trying to regather what I know and what I want to know about the lore so some avid KH vets out there will hopefully fill me in.

As we all know, KH is a lore heavy game with lots of philosophical questions and even as an 8 year old when I played the 1st game I was still digging deep into the lore. I need some catching up on it and some help understanding some aspects (mostly surrounding the prequel spinoff games that I never played and darkness and so on and so forth)

Question No. 1:

Question no 2:

Question No 3:

Question No 4:
Rafiki
Timone and pumbaa
Nala
Cogsworth
Ms Pots
Chip
Lumiere
The mice from Cinderella,
Prince whatshisface generic pants from Cinderella
The seven dwarfs
the 3 faries from sleeping beauty
Mulan.
Almost Pinocchio
Mulan.

Ok, let's tackle this.

No. 1:
It is true that newborn hearts have no darkness in them, but since the true Kingdom Hearts is in the Realm of Darkness, the hearts are already slightly tainted shortly after they are born. Thus, with the exception of the seven Princesses of Heart and Ventus, all hearts have darkness in them even if it is so small that it only is a drop.
In the age of fairytales there were really much more hearts without darkness, but that age ended with the legendary Keyblade War which nearly destroyed the universe and lead to the true KH being lost to the Realm of Darkness.

No. 2:
As far as we know KH cannot be corrupted by Darkness because it is the very source of light itself. What exactly the true KH itself is isn't made clear so far.
In Dream Drop Distance, both Master Yen Sid and the main villain Master Xehanort have to say this about KH:
Yen Sid said:
Long ago, in the age of fairy tales, the World was filled with light--a gift, many believed, from an unseen power known as "Kingdom Hearts."
Master Xehanort said:
In ancient times, people believed that light was a gift from an unseen land by the name of Kingdom Hearts.

No 3:
Ven, full name Ventus, is one of the three Keyblade Wielders who opposed the main villain ten years before the first Kingdom Hearts, addressed in the prequel game Birth by Sleep (BBS).
In physical appearance, he looks like the identical twin of Roxas (who actually got his appearance from him) and he has an artificial heart of pure light due to an experiment made by the main villain which also heavily damaged his heart. The heart of a newborn Sora contacted Ventus and helped stabilize his heart so he could survive, forming a close heart-bond between them.
By the end of Birth by Sleep in the final battle Ventus is eventually left with no choice but to destroy a prototype/unfinished version of the ultimate weapon in which forging he was forced to participate in against his will, but since his heart became part of that weapon it gets damaged even worse after that.
Eventually sensing the pain, a then 4year-old Sora reaches out to Ven's damaged heart on Riku's suggestion and allows it to stay inside his own heart to heal.
Ventus' comatose soul and body are meanwhile placed in a secret chamber called the chamber of waking for safekeeping by Aqua, one of Ven's best friends, until she can find a way to wake him up again.
By the time of KH 2 Ventus' body is sleeping in that chamber for eleven years while his heart rests within Sora.

No 4:
What became of all these characters was never made clear, but there are four viable options what could have happened:
a) they managed to flee when the world was destroyed and ended up in another world (people like Sora, Jiminy Cricket, the 101 Dalmatians etc. are examples of this variant).
b) their hearts were strong enough that they were turned into summon gems (Dumbo, Simba, Bambi or Mushu are examples).
c) they were indeed turned into Heartless.
d) they simply disappeared completely into the Darkness, swallowed by it.

Since most of the destroyed worlds were restored at the end of KH 1, the inhabitants would be restored as well.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
So you say a world consumed by darkness can fall into the realm of sleep. On this page, Please explain time travel and the realm of sleep in Kingdom Hearts 3D - Arqade

A user by the name of soeroah explains this is this what you refer to? And how do we know what world went into sleep?
As far as I can tell, that's just what happens to a world if it gets swallowed by the darkness. I honestly need to refresh my memory on those expository lectures in DDD though...

eriqafrint

I have a question I forgot to add:

1) When a heartless is formed, what exactly happens to the heart? If the heart is responsible with sentience and emotion, does that just fall into sleep? I assumed that because when the heartless are purified, the heart is restored and all the memories are still there as if they never left.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Depends, if its a Pureblood the heart is consumed. By destroying a Pureblood(with a Keyblade)you could say you're purifying it. Emblems on the other hand trap Hearts which is why they release them when struck with a Keyblade.

To clarify Heartless act on instinct and lack a sense of self, which is why Sora and Xehanort are considered special. They held on to something which allowed them to keep their mind and emotions.

eriqafrint

I know that a heartless is only acting on instinct but what happens to the emotions held within the heart? do they just fall into sleep?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I know that a heartless is only acting on instinct but what happens to the emotions held within the heart? do they just fall into sleep?

Pretty much. A heart typically goes into a dormant stasis until it's pulled out of the darkness and returns to the body.

Anagram

Banned
So you say a world consumed by darkness can fall into the realm of sleep. On this page, Please explain time travel and the realm of sleep in Kingdom Hearts 3D - Arqade

A user by the name of soeroah explains this is this what you refer to? And how do we know what world went into sleep?
Yen Sid. He explained bluntly in DreamDropDistance that the worlds you find in the Realm of Sleep are ones that were restored in KH1 but didn't wake from their darkness. Basically put some worlds came back fully in KH1, some didn't, and the ones Sora finds in DDD are woke as he finds the sleeping keyholes.

It's an entire realm however so only the worlds visited were woke. Some worlds are special as well such as Yen Sids Tower, Traverse Town, and The World That Never Was which seem to exist in the realms of sleep and light simultaneously.
Pretty much everything Sephiroth0812 told you was something said directly in the games by a character. When a world is destroyed by heartless like in KH1 it's heart is pulled into darkness and from there it vanishes while the people get scattered in a variety of ways. Some people get pulled into darkness and sleep with the world even.

As far as I can tell, that's just what happens to a world if it gets swallowed by the darkness. I honestly need to refresh my memory on those expository lectures in DDD though...
Eh Seph told it in basic terms so not much need. It's only the complicated stuff if you ant to delve deeper. Like how the Realm of Sleep doesn't have a true sense of time or how the worlds will dream up people that may have actually escaped it's destruction or how the worlds are basically dreaming their lives from creation up too the point they were destroyed/pulled into darkness/sleep.

I have a question I forgot to add:

1) When a heartless is formed, what exactly happens to the heart? If the heart is responsible with sentience and emotion, does that just fall into sleep? I assumed that because when the heartless are purified, the heart is restored and all the memories are still there as if they never left.

The heart loses "sense of self". So if you wanted you could say it's asleep or dormant like others are saying. At the end of the day no matter what you call it the hearts isn't feeling or self aware since darkness is overwhelming it forming the heartless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back