• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cat Parasite Linked To Suicide, Neuro & Psych Disorders

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
A parasite found in cats is tampering with people's brains and driving them to suicide, research suggests.
Scientists have shown that men and women infected with a bug that breeds in cats' stomachs and worms into people's brains are seven times more likely to attempt suicide than others.
They say that Toxoplasma gondii may tinker with the delicate chemistry of the brain and screening people for it could help identify those at risk of taking their own lives.

The parasite, which is carried by many Britons, has a complicated life cycle but can only breed inside cats. The microscopic eggs are passed on in cat faeces, spreading the infection.
Pregnant women are advised not to empty cat litter trays because the parasite can be fatal to unborn babies. The bug can also be picked up from contaminated food.

Around a third of people worldwide carry the parasite, with most catching it by consuming undercooked meat, especially lamb, pork and venison or by ingesting water, soil or anything contaminated by cat faeces.
Scientists looked for evidence of the infection in the blood of 84 men and women, more than half of whom had tried to commit suicide.

Dr Lena Brundin, of Michigan State University, said: 'We found that if you are positive for the parasite, you are seven times more likely to commit suicide.'
She said that the parasite, which has previously been linked to brain cancer, schizophrenia and personality disorders, may inflame the brain or tamper with its chemistry, including levels of the 'feel-good' chemical dopamine.
Those behind the latest study stressed that not everyone who is infected will be suicidal. However, they said if the link is confirmed, screening for the bug could make it easier to determine which mental health patients are at the greatest risk of attempting suicide.
Knowing more about the biology that precedes suicide could also lead to the creation of better anti-depressants.
Dr Brundin said: 'It means we can develop new treatments to prevent suicides and patients can feel hope that maybe we can help them.'
Cat parasite that worms into humans' brains can drive victims to suicide | Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Re: Cat Parasite That Worms Into Human Brains And Drives Them To Suicide

Thanks for posting this. Now I'm a hypochondriac.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I think I love my cat less now.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards

That isn't how that works at all.
Wasn't really serious but alrighty. Joking aside, it's sort of ironic I read this today. The cat my friend has that hates me hisses at me, tries to bite me if I get close to it. His mom was just telling me today it eats it's own poop. I already don't like cats, now I have a better reason for it.

the cool dad

I wanna raise a cat army now! Biological warfare haha jk but that's scary *looks at mrsnuggles the cat*

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards

Ha, sounds like something from Animorphs, aside from the host being more likely to commit suicide.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member

Always was a dog person. Still am and never going to cats. Not only are they're boring, but apparently dangerous too

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

So even in killing people, dogs and cats contrast each other. One bites your face of and the other just infects you with a suicide parasite.

Zul

Awards

2828423560_4e56b9eab3.jpg

Dang, I like cats. Welp, I'll just make sure to get them screened.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards

Well, that is certainly colourful.

But being serious, this gave me a shock, since everyone in my family has a love for cats ._.

Decrith

I was begging my parents to let me buy a cat since I hate dogs, now I think its a good thing they said no.

Youniquee

Awards

Was thinking of getting a cat when I'm older...Well, this as certainly changed my mind. >_>

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Getting a more accurate and less sensationalised title up in this thread~

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

BUT I LOVE MY CATS. :~;
They would never do that to MEEEEEEEE.
I won't stand for these lies! In protest, I will put a gun in my mouth until they take down this article, or at midnight I pull the trigger! >:C

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
So whats the nature of this parasite,does it die after a while or will it stay forever?
I used to have a cat about 2 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back