• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Career

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh_freeek

On Planet Earth.....yup I know most people don't k
I've been having trouble lately in choosing what i want to do for my life. It's not that i have none at all, it's just that i have too many. I want to be: A Game Designer, Lawyer - In Criminal Justice-, A lead Vocalist of a band and SongWriter, and/or an actor. I figure I could string alot of these together like being an actor and singer songwriter is possible, doing games and being famous is possible too (G4TV anyone) but then there are those that are isolate like prosecuter. I was just hoping for some advice on how to choose what i wanna do. THNx

- P.S. Throughout the school years in different schools people always tell me I'm funny , and i always get compared to famous people, I also love games, it's like my passion, but i love music too, and law is kinda a weak subject, but i know i'd be happy doing that to, and i love to act and make people laugh. So that's all.THNX ~KYUub1~

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
Hmm. That's quite the pickle.

I hate to sound like a complete killjoy, but I'd go mainly for being a Lawyer. I know it seems a little less fun than the others, but at the end of the day, it's more realistic. Not that you shouldn't go for being a Game Designer - hell, I'd love to be one of those! - but you're more likely to become a lawyer.

Becoming a celebrity - singer, or actor - is incredibly difficult, and only a few people make it into the business. Being a lawyer has more of a safety net, if you get what I'm saying. Not that you shouldn't go for the others, just that you need to be very serious while thinking about it.

Good luck with whatever you choose, hope this helped.

<3

Suzaku

Out of all of those the least contested is definitely lawyer. Of course it also matters whether or not you have friends or relatives that can give you recomendations in songwriting. I would completely stay away from the field of actor since it is an extremely tough life and often even if you are a highly talented actor so much of it relies on luck and circumstance that the chances of actually getting a decent job is very low in that field.

However, you could try Voice acting if you went into game design, that would give several good contacts and a history in the field. However, that also requires a lot of luck. All in all, I would reccomend doing what you love most. If you are willing to spend sleepless night to be an actor then I have no right to stop you. Go out and do what you love most. That's all I can really advise.

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
Game designing requires endless hours of study and research, I'm not sure if you'd want to go into that if your passion is simply playing games.

Acting and songwriting aren't simply things you can jump into. Acting is more of an inborn talent, certain people are meant to be on screen and others aren't. Song writing requires more skill and drive than you'd figure, and to excell in today's culture, you'll need to grind out some damn catchy tunes consistantly to stay 'famous', as you mentioned. Singing isn't a career you can get into unless you've got a decent voice. Vocal training won't do much for you if there's nothing to work with in the first place.

As everyone's said, law's probably the strongest choice at the moment. You'll defininetly be making more money fresh out of lawschool than you will in the first few years in the music industry, and you'll be making damn near the same that you'd get from game designing. It doesn't pay as well as you'd think, trust me.

and oh hi thar pickle

~Dorian Gray

Jopari

Well, songwriting is hard, and it takes a lot of time. And like Pickle said, don't do music for fame or cash. Well, on the other hand, being a lawyer isn't glamorous and it can be hectic, but it requires a lot of school. My mom is a lawyer and she likes her job, but it isn't to much for cash. But that's because shes in the military.

But do what you want and do it well.

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
side project everything.

when you're not doing cases, be a game designer. write songs for your games. become an actor by saying "i'm a real lawer, i can act like a real lawer"

i mean there's this one guys who's a Japanese comedian, actor, presenter, author, poet, painter, one-time video game designer, and film director, and critic.

his name is BEAT TAKESHI.

i mean if he can do it, why can't you?

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
Just pick something you KNOW you want to do because you don't want to be one of those adults that always moan and whine about going to work.

Raeneth

Has a custom user title
Awards
Sometimes the best path isn't always the straightest. Being a lawyer is interesting, and I hear that law school is pain in the ass until you pass the bar, then it's pretty much clear sailing in terms of finding a place for employment or whatnot. Being a Game Design seems like hard work, but that's also my direction in life, so I'll let you know in a few years how that goes. Talk to counselors, that's what they're there for, and think hard about what you think would make you the happiest, and then go for it. Better to have tried and failed and all that jazz.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
As much as I'd personally love to get into the entertainment industry, I know it's incredibly hard to break into because there needs to be something you've got that others don't.
I'm suggesting to you that you take up law. It's a realistic goal that can lead to a career, whereas, like others have stated, acting and being in a band all relies upon luck to make it. You can't really make a sole career out of it. So become a lawyer, however that too is pretty difficult, and you've said it's a weak area for you. So just continue to re-examine your options.

If you have a passion for acting or singing, just do that as a spare-time activity. I know lots of people that have steady day jobs and perform on stage for the love of it. And one of my teachers was in an awesome band.

Sielle

Website
www.samthompson.co.uk
It's been proven that before you're the age of 19, people change their career approximately 19 times!!! When I was young I wanted to be an author because I adored writing stories (still do). Then I wanted to be a website designer, of which I've persued throughout the past 2 years. Then I wanted to be involved within the film industry for a very long time, making me create up to 6 independant films within my spare time. However, for a future career you really need to look at it closely, taking in where you want to live, your living situation, marriage, kids and how much money you're going to (and need to) make.

These desires of mine have already been fulfilled because I've already completed them within my time as a student, but for a future career I want to be a Patent Attorney and Counselling Psychologist with a little author status on the side. As you can see I'm taking TWO main carreers, as both allow you to pick your own working times, and I'm also fulfulling my long-time love of being an author by side-projecting it. I think you should do something similar ^_^

And law, although hard work, can get you up to £300,000 (I live in the UK - equivalent to $600,000, maybe less in the US) a year when experienced (after, like, 5 years ^_^). So, even though you may be weak at it (I am) keep trying cause it'll be TOTALLY worth it!

I think all of those areas of work you want to be in is fantastic and completely doable. As long as you do your research on which ones you should concentrate on the most as your main career and I think it should be fine. However, the games industry is INCREDIBLY tiresome and some people spend ALL NIGHT in the office designing games. It doesn't pay as much as you'd think either (around $40,000 p.a. for the high executive people). However, depending on what you want to do within the games industry is fine: programming and coding pays the most but is the most hard work (like staying up all night), however characer design and graphics etc., even though it pays the lesser amount, it allowed you to have much more freedom to work.

I think you should concentrate on Law and place everything else on the side. You may be juggling a lot of work depending on what you want to do but at least you get to do the things you love as well as rake in quite a bit of doe $_$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back