• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Card Battle System Transition, KHI to Chain

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas7340

When you guys bought Chain of Memories for the first time, was it easy/fun for you to transition from KHI gameplay (or whatever KH game you first played) to Chain of Memories gameplay with the cards?

For those of you whose first KH game was CoM, was it easy/fun to transition from cards to real-time?

At first, I was frustrated because I was expecting the KHI gameplay.

Over time, I grew to like CoM combat and thought that the cards were a refreshing change up for game-play in the KH series.

However, for me, if given a choice, I would have CoM's game-play be like that of KHI, but not because I dislike CoM's cards, but only because I liked KHI's style better.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I didn't find the transition to hard personally though the first time I played CoM was on it's original gameboy advance version. Which wasn't as big a system shock since they were on different systems then.

Though it did take me a long while to work out sleights and such but it was fun seeing what worked and what didn't.

However, for me, if given a choice, I would have CoM's game-play be like that of KHI, but not because I dislike CoM's cards, but only because I liked KHI's style better.
Agreed.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I didn't find the transition to hard personally though the first time I played CoM was on it's original gameboy advance version. Which wasn't as big a system shock since they were on different systems then.

Though it did take me a long while to work out sleights and such but it was fun seeing what worked and what didn't.

These are basically my thoughts exactly. Figuring out the sleights were the only problems I had.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
It's not really that hard. I'll say the card system is more tedious for Heartless battle without the room clearing sleights you get later on the game.

For bosses I prefer the card system, heartless battle the KH1 system.

Gram

Banned
Awards
That was the one big killer for CoM, how tedious it was to go through room after room of heartless. Especially on Rikus file where you can't make yourself a room clearing deck.

Noel

Awards
If I could ever go to the past and tell my younger self something. It'd be. "Don't pick the health upgrade, choose CP!!!" It was hard to adjust, towards the new system, especially all the numbers and combinations they had, but it was pretty complex. Bringing in different type of Keyblades, premium. Having potions that don't heal you. etc. Although I do remember fondly how epic using Cloud's pseudo omnislash, and the aero+keyblade+keyblade sleight.

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net
I think the problem for me was adjusting to the Zero and Enemy cards. Mostly the Zeroes. When I first began playing, I ended up only having two or three Zeroes in my deck. It was a matter of balancing damage and breaking cards. If you had too many, you couldn't fight very effectively, but if you had too few, the enemy could curb-stomp you with Sleights.

As for Enemy Cards, I only found a few of them useful overall. But then I started a Riku File. Boy was I whistling a different tune.

Ventus_

Awards
The limitation and vulnerable downtime to replenish as well as the weaknesses those aspects cause imposed by the card system was frustrating. Considering my first playthrough of CoM was the original Gameboy Advanced release the small screen did add to the difficulty.
Honestly having just begun the remix version it's still somewhat frustrating but at the same time it's beginning to grow on me. Just the same though I am in agreement with this statement:
Also I'm a complete dunce at assembling/performing sleights which has become more necessary in RE than it was in the original.

Last edited:

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
For me, it was very odd adjusting to the card battle system in Chain of Memories after having just beat Kingdom Hearts I. I was always frustrated because I kept trying to find good high level cards...only to realize that I needed to level up my CP as well which I hadn't done much of at the beginning. My younger brother got the hang of it just a little bit before I did (he's only a year younger and we were both around 12-13 at the time the game was released).

That being said, it was a fun enough game to keep me occupied in the wait for Kingdom Hearts II. The sprite work was fantastic, the FMV cutscenes looked really nice on the GBA (and yes, I have played games like Myst and Riven, so I know that it's not too hard to put those into games, but still) and the music was phenomenal. I cannot even begin to describe how my brother and I geeked out upon hearing "The Thirteenth Struggle" in the prologue for Kingdom Hearts II, let alone Axel's appearance in the game.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Since I never played CoM (cuz I owned no Handhelds until the PSP) or Re: CoM (cuz Europe didn't get it) my first contact with the CoM-Card battle system actually occured not so long ago in HD 1.5.

That being said, I found the transition to be rather smooth and thanks to Leons tutorial it also wasn't that difficult to get the hang of it.
Now, actually assembling an effective deck is a challenge in itself, as is working with the pre-defined decks of Riku since you then have to analyze the deck and form a strategy around the deck, not the other way around as you do with Sora's deck.

All in all though, it shows that the Card-system of CoM is the prototype/precedessor of the BBS/Coded/DDD command deck system and I personally find the Card-system from CoM superior to both KH 1's and KH 2's mindless button mashing system.
Yes, it requires more work and attention overall, but while that may be a turnoff for many, for me it's actually the opposite as it requires you to really engage yourself with the battle system and actually work out proper strategies.
The systems of KH 1 and 2 only require you to collect enough AP, read the descriptions of the abilities and then activiate what sounds great, the only limiting factor to becoming a maelstrom of total dectruction in every battle being MP and occassionally an enemy (like Sephiroth or Invisible) who can interrupt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back