• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Capoeira and other martial arts.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown_boy

Where's my fluffy?!!
Right, i'm leaving on the roads that lead to my fl
Capoeira or BreakDance fighting as some people call it is an African-Brazilian Dance martial arts. Since slaves were forbidden to fight, it was disguised as a dance. I have with me a good example of what it looks like from a Martial arts movie. It's Capoeira Vs Muy Thai. I take up lessons in Capoeira and though it is hard it is also very fun. So this is a thread to talk about it along with any other martial arts you all know.

Capoeira Vs Muay Thai

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
Ooh, I was gonna make a martial arts thread.

I take the oh so common Tae Kwon Do myself. After I graduate (which is sooon!) I'm gonna go into Shaolin. and then possibly Karate.

I've always wanted to do Capoeria, just because it looks cool. But I doubt I can because I'm weak over all.

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
Actually I disagree. Capoeria has a dance like stance becasue it was used taht way at first or something. in order to do capoeria you must be VERy strong all around. that Le Pakour free running stuff? Capoeria is like that as well. Flips and spins are done WITHOUT their hands. It's pretty amazing. but I understand if you think it's just dancing because it gives off that appeal. but it's not like ballet or something

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
I'm a firm proponent for using as little excessive movement as possible. It's something I've "learned" from my time with Tae Kwan Do and other competitions.

violent_anger

Think smaller, more legs.
Blowing up The storm's around. In a silence Have a
capoeira was disguised as a dance to fool slaveowners, i heard. but i also happened to hear that in capoeira, you're screwed if your feet are caught in mid-air and then you get slammed to the ground. a friend who takes jujutsu said that.

what about krav maga? it looks impressive to me, but i dont know how it looks to someone who has practiced a martial arts

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
krav? what's that?! Wow there are so many that I've never heard of.

I'm not very good at Tae Kwon Do, compared to the other people, I can't jump high XD

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
Ouch...is it just brute force really? a lot of asianic martial arts is about like mind and other stuff.

Me and my sisters (my sisters and I) wanted to do Muay Thai after watchin Ong-Bok XD!

Shadukai X

Banned
I take the oh so common Tae Kwon Do myself. After I graduate (which is sooon!) I'm gonna go into Shaolin. and then possibly Karate.

Tae Kwon Do and Karate are very, very similar. So unless you want to waste your money learning a new move or two, I would suggest you don't do it. Tae Kwn Do is better anyways.

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
KRAV! Oh i know! Dalsim uses it in Street Fighter right?

I thought Karate focuses on your hands while Tae Kwon Do focuses on your feet and counters....I could be wrong....

I really really really want to learn Taido. It's the asianic form of Capoeria....and it's easier...XD

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
I thought Karate focuses on your hands while Tae Kwon Do focuses on your feet and counters....I could be wrong...

I can't speak so much for Karate, but Tae Kwan Do does focus on footwork. Hapkido, however, is the one that focuses on counters, binds, and throws. In a sense, it's much more practical form of self-defense than its strike-based counterpart, since most of the people that would attack you would just try to tackle you as opposed to using high-flying footwork or anything fancy.

...which reminds me, I think I want to get back into martial arts and take Hapkido. I'm rusty as hell, though.

Cloudz_followa

Website
www.myspace.com
I might be taking Capoeira real soon.
I'm into that tricking/parkour scene.

Sesshoumaru is my favorite tricker. He's pretty good.
Youtube it.
=]

I'd like to make it to this year's Loopkicks Camp. But I have no money or a passport. HAHAHA.

Can anyone do any moves? Backtuck, front sault, front flip, aerial, butterfly kick, butterfly twist, kip-up rahrahrahrah, GIMME A PM!
AHAHA!

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
I do a mean turn around kick XD my cousin can do a butterfly kick.

anyone know where you can learn Taido....in the states...in orange county, CA?

Alexander_Scar88

Capoeira or BreakDance fighting as some people call it is an African-Brazilian Dance martial arts. Since slaves were forbidden to fight, it was disguised as a dance. I have with me a good example of what it looks like from a Martial arts movie. It's Capoeira Vs Muy Thai. I take up lessons in Capoeira and though it is hard it is also very fun. So this is a thread to talk about it along with any other martial arts you all know.

Capoeira Vs Muay Thai

I started taking Capoeira classes about a month ago, and I enjoy it. Your history on it is correct on some levels. But dont think its the same as in the Tony Jaa movie, it is a Martial arts MOVIE so somethings may not be the actual art style of it. Capoeira is best known as a fighting style, but some see it is a dance, but one of its purposes is diversion. Or making the joints in your body easily moved so you can evade and counter fast. Allways allowing you to stay on your toes. That and It throws off your opponent thinking that you are just randomly dancing so he has an easy advantage of beating you. Kinda like drunken boxing was seen as a joke but when fighters started getting beat one by one, it started to show it self as a true martial arts style.

And for the breakdance fighting referance, dont be mistaken it isn't anything like zoolander nor breakdance fighting at all. I dont think it even exists, whats next a crump fighting martial arts style:thumbdown:

What I've taken: American Karate, Kick boxing, Jeet Kun do, and Capoeira

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back